RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Yellow F22 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10824590-yellow-f22-build.html)

gunradd 11-22-2011 04:39 PM

Yellow F22 Build

1 Attachment(s)
By far my favorite plane is the F22. I finally get to build one!

I have almost everything already accept the airframe itself. Its on backorder for about 20 more days. But I can get started on painting the gear and bench running the turbine.

I got the thrust verctoring and man is it well done. Very glad I spent the cash for it. Gear looks like it can take a beating. Very impressed with the pipe also.

This will be my first turbine. Although I am not new to turbines I work on the big ones daily. I have flown big EDF for a few years now so this should be a smooth transition. Please everyone feel free to give advise because I will need it.

I got a low time super eagle I am sticking inside. I know its not the big block most of you have but I will draw on my experience from EDF and keep it light so it should fly well.

I want to make it as scale as possible. I will make the canopy functional along with the thrust vectoring.

dubd 11-22-2011 04:54 PM

RE: Yellow F22 Build

Looking forward to seeing the build thread!

The Super Eagle weighs the same as most big blocks (160), so I don't think you're going to save any weight.

smchale 11-22-2011 05:01 PM

Subscribed! Should be a good project Kris, and seeing what you've pulled off in the past I'm looking fwd to seeing you work your magic on this one.

Shaun Evans 11-22-2011 05:11 PM

Hi,

Nice, Gun! Wish I had that airframe for you...[:o]

gunradd 11-22-2011 05:49 PM

Its ok. It gave me time to get all of my honey dooos done so now I can just build! My goal is to have it flying before Florida jets in March. It might not be painted but it will be flying. From what I have seen this kit is more of an unpainted ARF then a traditional kit. Having glass wings and all the formers installed already this plane should build pretty quick.

Shaun Evans 11-22-2011 06:18 PM

Hi,

Yeah. There's still a lot to do, though. The doors take a little time and fidgeting. As will the canopy, but nothing like building a full kit. You've got the skills for it, so no worries.

smaze17 11-22-2011 10:37 PM

Yea the Yellow ARF kits really are special. I had a chance to inspect their F-15 and it was/is very, very well done. They are impressive to say the least.

Looking forward to your build gun :D

S

sideshow 11-23-2011 12:58 AM

I saw the full scale fly at Nellis last weekend while we were there for the airshow....really impressive.

tp777fo 11-23-2011 04:49 AM

It's THE BEST jet I have ever had! Quality,performance, looks....it's got it all.

gunradd 11-23-2011 05:53 AM

I already dissembled the gear for paint. Should have that done today.

For paint I am going to try to duplicate what this guy did with a small raptor model.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.co...ing/tnt151.htm

Its the best looking raptor finish I have seen. Very hard to get that Raptor Sheen correct. Tom you got your transfers from aeroloft right? How close to scale are they? I have had good luck with aeroloft even though others have not. Did you get the pics to have the transfers made for Cindy? I would have change mine slightly so if we show up at the same event we have different markings. :D

tp777fo 11-23-2011 06:21 AM

Talk to I-Nav. (Dont believe anything he says about me) He painted one with the sheen, used a little silver in the final clear coat. My graphics are from Aeroloft. Cindy has done 2 sets for me and I was happy with both. Be sure to send her a sample color for the paint so she can match the graphics color correctly, mine were a little too light on the 2nd one I built, but didnt bother me...if fly'em not show'em. Nobody noticed the error when it was airborne...they were just too wowed from the performance to worry about decal color. There are not too many Raptor units to choose from...mine in now gone. The 7FS was moved to Tyndall AFB. Havent seen one on the new scheme yet. I choose the 7FS as I used to party with the "Bunyaps" years ago when I was a young 2Lt. I ordered a set of decals from TwoBobs, it gives the FS colors (just a guess as nobody knows the magic numbers for the magic Raptor paint). Looks good anyway. Keep in touch as you build...I will give you a couple of suggestions. I'm thinking real hard about ordering another one just to keep as a spare.

KC36330 11-23-2011 06:32 AM

ORIGINAL: tp777fo

.............The 7FS was moved to Tyndall AFB. Havent seen one on the new scheme yet.
My sister is the secretary for the base commander at Tyndall, i can ask for some pics if you want em??

gunradd 11-23-2011 06:38 AM

Please KC!!! that would be great.

Also if anyone has any pics of the inside of the gear doors. Since they need to be strengthened might as well make it look scale with some polyply or balsa.

Also if anyone has any pics of their installs I would love to see them. I will probably just copy what Shaun did on the F22 ARF he built.

KC36330 11-23-2011 06:44 AM

request went out, she's gonna have one of the combat photography guys go out and get some shots, i told her to get the wheel wells for you too.

KC36330 11-23-2011 06:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
in the mean time..........

tp777fo 11-23-2011 07:33 AM

Yee Hawww. The F-15 is Mr Bones. 95FS...my old stomping grounds.

Ian R 11-23-2011 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)

The F22 is worth the wait and the service from Shaun is first class.

Been out flying mine again today it is the best jet I have ever owned,

I think it has the best aspects of the F16 i have (Aviation Design) and the Yellow F15 which I have as well. I thought the F15 was good but the 22 is better.

The thrust vectoring is a bit of a pain to install. It is also quite tricky to set up the nozzles. My first 6 flights need only minor trim adjustment. Which I decided was the nozzles so adjusted them, the 7 flight needed lots of down trim as I had inadvertentlymoved theneutral position in my adjustments. So take care when you set the nozzles up to eye ball them for alignment

a few pictures of mine to keep the motivation up. For the rest who are thinking about one, If Shaun has any more coming in buy one you won't regret it
Ian

No connection with Yellow a/cjust a happy customer</p>

k_sonn 11-23-2011 10:05 AM

Awesome Kris.  I know you've been wanting to build this plane for some time.  Glad to see you'll get to build your dream plane.

Kirk

Ron101 11-23-2011 11:37 AM

Go get um Kris
I love the F-22, it's a wicked machine

Your going to do an outstanding job... and knowing you it will be done lighting fast! I'll still be messing with my build a year after yours is flying :D

Good luck I hope it all goes smooth for you

FMRR 11-23-2011 12:05 PM

gunnradd,Good luck with your build,you could have not pick a better project.Like you I love the F22,I have been building the them since ship 19 here at Lockheed.Ship 195 is the last one off the line this December,.. sad but true.I have a Fei bao kit that I have been wanting to get to but have not had time.The yellow kit is much better in scale and larger.I like to get a yellow kit and have two... but I have quite a few jets already that have to get done first.Sounds also your A&P mech like myself.I also used to work with Pam Am back in the day in the engine shop in New York,...those were good times..Any way have fun with your build and I will enjoy watching it come together,Frank.

FMRR 11-23-2011 12:09 PM

Ron,Did not know you were into the F22 also.Are you still working on your twin F18? If you do build a F22 I bet it will be powered EDF style...way cool.:D

Ron101 11-23-2011 12:34 PM

Ron,Did not know you were into the F22 also.Are you still working on your twin F18? If you do build a F22 I bet it will be powered EDF style...way cool.
Love the F-22, it looks mean and scary in the air like a good warplane should...lol

I'm still working on the F-18, I've been stalled by doing repairs on other planes... but look forward to spend time on it. I hope to have it done this time next year... but if not, what ever, it's done when it's done
Your right if I do an F-22 it will be E powered :D

Square Nozzle 11-23-2011 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: gunradd

Also if anyone has any pics of their installs I would love to see them. I will probably just copy what Shaun did on the F22 ARF he built.

Installation photos of my Yellow F 22 kit.

Square Nozzle 11-23-2011 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More F-22 installation.

Square Nozzle 11-23-2011 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wheel well with stiffened door. Not scale but stiffer than stock.