RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   FUTABA 18MZ HAS ARRIVED (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10871135-futaba-18mz-has-arrived.html)

mick15 05-10-2012 12:24 AM

RE: FUTABA 18MZ HAS ARRIVED

Mike is correct you should be setting up crow in the Airbrake screen. Alternatively you can use a Program mix, why not you will never use them all anyway.

m

cairoman 05-10-2012 12:35 AM

Φίλε Τάσσο,

When I wanted to setup crow (butterfly, in other terms) for my KC, I changed the model type into "Motor glider" and on the model menu, I chose "butterfly"!

Χρήστος

tassos p 05-10-2012 12:37 AM

I will try it of course on the Airbrake,

but it was working with my 14MZ using the camber mix

and there is no obvious reason for it not to work on the 18MZ unless I am missing something.

Can anyone try it on their radio to see if it is working on theirs or not?

By the way I upgraded the sw of the radio to v2.1.0

Tassos

tassos p 05-12-2012 02:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, not a bug, but quite difficult to find it out what caused the CAMBER Mix not to work. I was breaking my head all these days because it worked in the 14 and not the 18.

The answer?

CAMBER is a function.

One needs to set it in the FUNCTION menu. Transfering models from the 14 to the 18 will not activate the CAMBER function automatically. One needs to activate it manually in the Linkage Menu> Function

Find a spare channel and insert CAMBER function.

In the manual it does not mention that CAMBER function needs to be activated in order for CAMBER Mix to be able to work.

Anyway, busted. Be carefull activating CAMBER as a function the radio assigns automatically a switch to it (RST) and you need to deactivate it > set to NULL otherwise CAMBER mix will be affected.

Now my crow works fine.

Thanks alot

Tassos

BaldEagel 05-12-2012 06:05 AM

Changing camber is the function of moving the TE of the whole wing in one direction or another i.e. moving both the aileron and flaps in one direction, to give negative (up for speed) or positive (down for slow flight) in simple terms, mostly used by glider guiders to slow down in a thermal or speed up in areas of sink.

Crow is moving the TE of the wing in two opposite directions on the same half of the wing to act as an Airbrake i.e. ailerons up and flaps down.

Mike

jzuniga 05-12-2012 06:35 AM

Not to change the subject but anybody ever have problems with JR8711's not working with the Futaba r7008rx that came with the 18mz?
I have a detailed explanation of what happened here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11077655/tm.htm

Thanks

Z

ww2birds 05-12-2012 08:38 PM

So it was the filtered extensions not the JR servos. Interesting. I suppose that the bit rate of signals going down the wire in SBUS is much faster than a standard servo cable .. perhaps the filters were being to aggressive and wiping out the higher frequency waveform. Was the extension (when it was causing the problem) between the RX and the SBD-1 or between the SBD-1 and the Servo?

thanks
Dave

jzuniga 05-12-2012 08:49 PM

ORIGINAL: ww2birds

So it was the filtered extensions not the JR servos. Interesting. I suppose that the bit rate of signals going down the wire in SBUS is much faster than a standard servo cable .. perhaps the filters were being to aggressive and wiping out the higher frequency waveform. Was the extension (when it was causing the problem) between the RX and the SBD-1 or between the SBD-1 and the Servo?

thanks
Dave

Yes Dave the extension... the rest was way over my head :D
Also, Both on the connections. I tried hooking straight to the rx via a pwm channel, and between the SBD-1...

Lucky I figured it out cause I didn't have too many suggestions from the "experts";)

Z

ww2birds 05-12-2012 10:02 PM

maybe not so many experts on SBUS yet!

:-)

Glad it's working.

Dave

jzuniga 05-13-2012 08:38 AM

Haha... lol
True dat Dave...

Z

Skaluf 07-11-2012 09:06 AM

Have you recently purchased, or are you about to purchase an 18MZ? Do you have a 14MZ, 12Z or 12FG to sell? Would you like to increase the resell value of your 14MZ, 12Z or 12FG?

If so, check out the Futaba Certified Pre-Owned program!

http://www.futaba-rc.com/fcpo/index.html

DrScoles 07-11-2012 09:41 AM

How many of you are flying an s bus wired jet? My bobcat is almost done, one pack at the rx. For my sky master mig, I need to add more power. The robbe set up looks nice, but the whole reason I was attracted to the s bus was simplicity. I don't want to add another piece of electronics if I don't have to. I'm thinking about having a hub at the back of the plane on each side and having a pack at each, then one at the rx. three packs, regs and switches... Anyone see fault in this? I wish you could figure out exactly what is needed for power to the servos in the chain!! I will have 14 servos on the mig, need to make sure they are fed properly.

meanrc 07-11-2012 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Skaluf

Have you recently purchased, or are you about to purchase an 18MZ? Do you have a 14MZ, 12Z or 12FG to sell? Would you like to increase the resell value of your 14MZ, 12Z or 12FG?

Just checked out this program

Would like to take advantage of it but there is a problem

I purchased my 18mz on 2 May 2012 and doesn't seem to qualify.
Are the any exceptions to the down loaded Form????? This seems to be something new

Thanks John K

k_sonn 07-11-2012 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: meanrc

Just checked out this program

Would like to take advantage of it but there is a problem

I purchased my 18mz on 2 May 2012 and doesn't seem to qualify.
Are the any exceptions to the down loaded Form????? This seems to be something new

Thanks John K
Would like to know the same.I purchased the 18MZ on April 6th.

Kirk

myersflyers 07-11-2012 10:17 PM

What about one purchased 06/29/12?

PaulD 07-12-2012 05:51 AM

ORIGINAL: DrScoles

How many of you are flying an s bus wired jet? My bobcat is almost done, one pack at the rx. For my sky master mig, I need to add more power. The robbe set up looks nice, but the whole reason I was attracted to the s bus was simplicity. I don't want to add another piece of electronics if I don't have to. I'm thinking about having a hub at the back of the plane on each side and having a pack at each, then one at the rx. three packs, regs and switches... Anyone see fault in this? I wish you could figure out exactly what is needed for power to the servos in the chain!! I will have 14 servos on the mig, need to make sure they are fed properly.
The only downside I can see to this set up is putting packs in the back of the airframe and the effect on cg. Most airframes these days seem to need nose weight so adding weight to the rear seems really "expensive" on the weight budget. Maybe put the packs for the rear hub on the cg?

PaulD

DrScoles 07-12-2012 07:18 AM

the hub will be close to the CG as it is. Just don't like the gray area of not knowing exactly how much battery I need and where... I did confirm with hobbico that you have to have a battery plugged directly into the RX. i.e. can't have two at the hubs in the back without juice to the rx.

Skaluf 07-12-2012 09:00 AM

ORIGINAL: myersflyers

This is within the 30 days the program mentions.

Steve

k_sonn 07-12-2012 09:08 AM

Steve
So, you didn't answer meanrc or my question. I guess by not answering our question you are telling us we can't participate in the program. Sounds to me like we're being penalized for being early adopters. What desicion process was used to decide to not allow early adopters into this program?

Kirk

siclick33 07-12-2012 12:56 PM

I guess it's more a case of new customers being rewarded rather than older customers being penalized. I would think that this is a promotion to entice people on the fence to buy a new 18MZ. If you've already bought one then why would they need to offer an incentive? I do agree that it is a bit odd that they have backdated the qualifying date for 30 days though.

It looks like you can buy the service for $54 (incl return shipping) so maybe you can still take part in the program if you pay for it.

EDIT: If you look at the downloadable form then it appears the offer ISN'T backdated 30 days as I first thought. It is valid for people who buy an 18MZ from 1st July who then send their old radio in within 30 days of the purchase.

indubitably 07-12-2012 09:42 PM

There are two conversations going on.

I also bought the MZ18, and im glad i have one. Now there is an incentive, and these motivational packages come along and have a limited life. So what? I was happy to get one when i got it, now they may have a few available, in contrast to the sellouts that were happening earlier. I have bought other items, and then something newer came out the next day. Its life. Get a second radio. Learn to wait forever for the better deal that should come along. You can get down right miserable thinking of all the advantages others happen to come across. Its like driving in traffic, opportunities open and close for you or the next lane. Some of these outbursts surprise me.

Why not have a 12 ga wire or electrical cable down the lenght of the plane supplying terminals where needed. Deans plugs at the battery end into A123 cells. Then you wouldnt need several batteries.

meanrc 07-13-2012 07:06 AM

ORIGINAL: k_sonn

Steve
So, you didn't answer meanrc or my question. I guess by not answering our question you are telling us we can't participate in the program. Sounds to me like we're being penalized for being early adopters. What desicion process was used to decide to not allow early adopters into this program?

Kirk
As all can see on the downloadable form this program is for those that purchased Between 1 July and Oct. 31.
It would be nice to get the Cirtificate but Futaba has selected a group to participate. We are just not in it. There is a side benifit for the user but the main purpose seems to be.
Generate service work for the Technitions at the service center.

They used this Forum to promote it but don't seem willing to answer any Question????? Very strange

Done now

Jk

siclick33 07-13-2012 09:07 AM

With regards to the batteries, do they only supply power to the servos plugged in the same hub where the battery is plugged in? Does that mean that if you want redundancy, as a lot of people do, then you would need a second battery pack (and regulator) at each of the 2 hubs and the receiver. That means a total of 6 packs and 6 regulators[X(]

I would be more tempted to use a Powerbox with only 2 batteries up front.

Kevin_W 07-13-2012 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: siclick33

With regards to the batteries, do they only supply power to the servos plugged in the same hub where the battery is plugged in? Does that mean that if you want redundancy, as a lot of people do, then you would need a second battery pack (and regulator) at each of the 2 hubs and the receiver. That means a total of 6 packs and 6 regulators[X(]

You absolutely need one pack plugged directly into the receiver. You can use one or more packs to power servos at the hubs, and those battery packs don't necessarily need to be placed right next to the hubs or the servos. I would think it would be fine to put the battery packs where they need to be for balance and run heavy gauge wire to the hubs. I would also think it would be fine to splice several taps off of one battery to plug into multiple hubs. You could easily use one pack for the receiver (and any PWM controlled servos that are plugged into it), then another pack for all of your Sbus servos, or you could use two Sbus packs (one for the starboard Sbus servos, and one for the the port Sbus servos).

DrScoles 07-13-2012 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: siclick33

Great point. It only supplies power to the servos in that hub. Steve, can you comment? I feel a little naive in jumping on this for the reasons I did only to find out that for bigger applications, it might not be as simple as I thought it would be.

My bobcat is wired for it and it was slick, one wire down by the tanks from the rx, and then one wire to each wing opening.. thats it. I'm not worried about power consumption on this plane. On the vectored thrust mig with 14 servos or the 1/3 scale gas plane I'm building right now, I am very concerned about power. Can Futaba chime in here?

Kevin, I like your idea of one pack to run multiple hubs in the rear, that didn't cross my mind!