RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   FUTABA 18MZ HAS ARRIVED (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10871135-futaba-18mz-has-arrived.html)

PHIL GREENO 12-22-2011 04:00 AM

FUTABA 18MZ HAS ARRIVED

1 Attachment(s)
Just received stock of the new Futaba 18MZ

Looks like I will have something to play with over Xmas.

Phil.

mick15 12-22-2011 05:52 AM

RE: FUTABA 18MZ HAS ARRIVED

Well that response was under whelming Phil!

siclick33 12-22-2011 05:54 AM

I'm waiting for the Christmas special price to be announced[X(];)

schroedm 12-22-2011 06:36 AM

Picked mine up this morning - very nice indeed!!

I LOVE this screen!

Also, I like the vibrate warnings!

PHIL GREENO 12-22-2011 06:50 AM

Mick,
Sorry if I did not seem more excited !!! It actually seems a very nice set.The screen is much brighter than the 14MZ and very fast acting.

Has a very solid/quality feel as well. Just got to work out how to transfer my model data from my 14MZ so I can try it out at Classic Jets next week.

7.2 volt lipo has over 5 hours run time co big improvement on 14MZ.

Phil.

schroedm 12-22-2011 07:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, and for those who like me wondered what the case was like, here you go....

Ragz 12-22-2011 07:26 AM

WOW

fifou313 12-22-2011 07:32 AM

Do you have pics of the receiver??
Thanks
Regards.

schroedm 12-22-2011 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys,

Just transferred my 14MZ models no problems (not tried them on the model but the servo monitors/mixes etc all seem to be ok).

As the 14MZ uses a CF card and the 18MZ uses a SD card you need to copy from the CF card to your PC/Mac and then down to the SD card.

The hot and cold boot is fantastic too! First boot of the day takes a while but any switching on/off within 4 hours of the initial 'main boot' of the day takes less than a couple of seconds!

Pic of RX included too...

Rgds,
Mark

Ragz 12-22-2011 07:45 AM

Mark, I am told this radio has a built in camera as well? Is this true?

fifou313 12-22-2011 07:45 AM

What is the slot for extra voltage on the receiver?
Regards.

siclick33 12-22-2011 07:49 AM

What is the slot for extra voltage on the receiver?
The Rx automatically supplies telemetry for RX voltage and flight pack voltage (e.g. for electric flight batteries) without any extra sensors. I believe that the 'extra voltage' socket is where you plug a tap from the flight battery into the RX so it can send this data back to the TX.

PHIL GREENO 12-22-2011 07:51 AM

Comes with R7008SB S.BUS2 high voltage receiver.

Phil.

schroedm 12-22-2011 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Anurag,

Yep. Has a camera on the back. Only a 1MP but more than enough for a pic of your model.

Extra voltage socket I believe is for some additional battery voltage telemetry.

Rgds,
Mark

rusty55125 12-22-2011 10:14 AM

I am jealous, still waiting for mine!
I was reading the manual on line and found a couple of things of interest. The one that really caught my eye, the new receivers can be adjusted to except channels 1-8 or 9-16 should you want to separate your model into to independent systems. This is cool! It allow you to setup your aircraft with two 8ch receivers to makeup the 16ch’s instead of two higher channel rx’s, utilizing only half of each rx’s slots.
Scott

Rob Howarth 12-22-2011 11:01 AM

A great set, I'm pleased. The screen is a huge leap forward from the 14 in colour, response and overall presentation.

The ergonomics seem to be better as it sits in the hands better.

I like the manual as its hole punched with a binder and separate pages so any addendums issued can be inserted with ease.

Rob

PS - not heard any ticking noises yet DW

Gary Arthur 12-22-2011 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: rusty55125

I am jealous, still waiting for mine!
I was reading the manual on line and found a couple of things of interest. The one that really caught my eye, the new receivers can be adjusted to except channels 1-8 or 9-16 should you want to separate your model into to independent systems. This is cool! It allow you to setup your aircraft with two 8ch receivers to makeup the 16ch’s instead of two higher channel rx’s, utilizing only half of each rx’s slots.
Scott
True

I noticed this when I put dual rx's in my Hawk running S-Bus. You can have one rx selected so the outputs (pins) do channel 1-8 and the other Channels 9-16. Great feature.

ww2birds 12-22-2011 11:18 AM

Great to see them arriving, hoping to see one at the LHS (Hobby Hangar in Chantilly) here in the DC area soon.

Is the box itself narrower than the 14MZ? Some of our JR friends who are considering switching are put off by the wider box of the 14MZ vs. the JR12X and they were hoping the 18MZ would be closer in size (width) to the JRs than the 14MZ. I am used to the 14, but agree that a narrower TX box would be more comfortable and while I don't own a 12X, I certainly agree it has that nice "feel the difference" character to hold :-)

Are the other telemetry options out yet? I understand they will have GPS, some temperature probes, etc.

Would be interesting if there were a way to get turbine ECU data downlinked (though I suppose this would be unique for each brand of ECU... I am thinking of the info that goes on the hand data terminals).

And while we're on wishlist items (if anyone from Futaba or the US importer is listening), the S-bus power expander and wiring/power dist stuff that Robbe has is soooo nice .. I know we can buy from Emcotec in Germany but it would be great for those of us on this side of the pond to have some of that available thru a US importer. I think that S-Bus is not going to get very far until good options exist for more robust wiring, switches and power systems, which Robbe already has... the stuff offered here in the US is just not what jet guys or the big 3D guys want .. and they are the target market.

Dave McQ

John Tancock 12-22-2011 01:42 PM

Nigel said you were the first at the shop, and probably the first civilian to get one!
Didn't manage to pick mine up until 7pm!!!!!!!!!

But it was worth the wait, and I really mean that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

schroedm 12-22-2011 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: John Tancock

Nigel said you were the first at the shop, and probably the first civilian to get one!
Didn't manage to pick mine up until 7pm!!!!!!!!!

But it was worth the wait, and I really mean that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D It's nice mate eh?!!

John Tancock 12-22-2011 05:41 PM

Your not wrong there;)
Now, how much easier is this to use? Better balance, great features!
This will defernatly be a hard act to follow! :D

mr_matt 12-22-2011 07:00 PM

Congrats all you <del>software beta testers</del> early adopters!!

Make sure and get a LOT of flights in during the next few months.....Fathers Day is coming and I need to make my list!!

3DHELINUT 12-22-2011 07:37 PM

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

:D

DrScoles 12-22-2011 08:43 PM

The battery capacity alone is worth buying this thing. I put a 2S lipo on my 14mz, got annoyed with $80 batteries that lasted 40 minutes.

FILE IFR 12-22-2011 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Nah, Futaba's R&D dept. wouldn't let that happen again.;)

Congrats guys, on the new radio. Suddenly my 14MZ seems to have lost it's value.....:)