RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Who has Changed over to the newer DSMX and why (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10915508-who-has-changed-over-newer-dsmx-why.html)

sj3cub 01-19-2012 10:39 AM

RE: Who has Changed over to the newer DSMX and why

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

As long as it is sold in the US, it will be Spectrum based. The other JR type is meant for the the Asian market. If you choose to get the DsMS you will have to order it from Japan and will get no service here. That also applies to the receivers. Dennis

The new JR DMSS is being sold all over the world, not just the Asian market. The only place its not available is here in the states, and we all know why. Hopefully it will be available here one day in the future. I bought one of the new DMSS systems, and I like it very much. Has the telemetry functions as well. All my main radios are JR's that have been updated to X. The X hopping protocol is far superior to the dsm/dsm2 protocol. I was VERY pleased when Horizon finally wised up. I can now fly my expensive giant scale models with peace of mind. Something I never had when I was flying on DSM2. Its all good now, although I continue to hope that one day we will be able to purchase TRUE JR products here in the states again.

BarracudaHockey 01-19-2012 12:14 PM

I switched because upgrading my 11X was free and I attend a number of large events. I haven't gutted every receiver I own but as I get a chance I phase out the 2's and replace them with X's starting with the stuff I fly at events.

Gary Arthur 01-19-2012 12:16 PM

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1

Why mess with what isn't broke. :D
A wise man once told me that if you follow this philosiphy, your bussiness and or product will become obsolete.

An example, if a company thinks they make the best (maybe they do) product and just continue to make the same product, undoubtedly someone will copy it and immprove it. Then who will be the best? Japan did this in the 90's.

That is what makes companies continue to improve and update their products.

Obviously, JR has discovered the bennefits of FHSS and have embraced the technology, much like Futaba has done for the past few years.

Futaba has also discovered the S-Bus which is not far off what JR has done with remote receivers (only have a few enhancements to ID each servo).

So...If it ain't broke, break it!!!!! Then make it better!!!!!

bigplumbs 01-19-2012 02:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Gary Arthur

A wise man once told me that if you follow this philosiphy, your bussiness and or product will become obsolete.

An example, if a company thinks they make the best (maybe they do) product and just continue to make the same product, undoubtedly someone will copy it and immprove it. Then who will be the best? Japan did this in the 90's.

Obviously, JR has discovered the bennefits of FHSS and have embraced the technology, much like Futaba has done for the past few years.

Futaba has also discovered the S-Bus which is not far off what JR has done with remote receivers (only have a few enhancements to ID each servo).

Or another way to sell people somthing that they dont need cos the old one worked fine

siddus74 01-19-2012 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Deno48

Or another way to sell people somthing that they dont need cos the old one worked fine

Lol ... the man that subtley digs at futaba then gets shown the way by another - JR having embraced the FHSS technology, pioneered in our hobby by Futaba, gives it the "Or another way to sell people somthing that they dont need cos the old one worked fine" ...

I was waiting for someone to say this .... it's a "for every thing else there's mastercard" moment.

(I use Futaba and love it - I use my DX7 for my parkzone foamies)

Scott.

Corsair42 01-19-2012 02:58 PM

Ichanged over to Futaba 14 channel Faast....not one issue. When I flew with spectrum I lost 3 expensive planes from lockout.

siddus74 01-19-2012 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Corsair42

I changed over to Futaba 14 channel Faast....not one issue. When I flew with spectrum I lost 3 expensive planes from lockout.

How many times have we heard this ... sensational ... :D

I dont think I would move from DSM to DSM2 - I would move from DSM to FAST :), no point having a Radio that feels nice in your hands and is shaped like a transformer etc etc if you dont have the confidence in its ability (this is how I felt after seeing loads of issues)

I have a JR10x on 35mhz and have owned it from new and love it .. (still use it in my slopers)

I hear so much about "lost frames blah, blah" - and "Ive sent it back to horizon" can we even check this stuff on FAST? I just plug it in and fly it ...

Ive painted a target onmy back havent I?:D

Scott.

AFTERBURNER1 01-19-2012 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Deno48

Exactly!!:eek:

Skymac 01-19-2012 05:01 PM

Word....

No issues, not changing..

warbird addict 01-19-2012 07:08 PM

in the spirit of this debate "I" use a sledgdehammer to drive a thumbtack and "I" think anybody who uses anything else is a complete moron LOL

wfield0455 01-22-2012 08:02 AM

A wise man (or was it a wise guy) once told ME; He who is never satisfied with "what's not BROKE", always buys latest junk and soon goes BROKE ;)

If you're a VENDOR, continually updating your product line makes perfect sense, and I'm glad that vendors keep making new products available to us.
However, since I'm a CUSTOMER, I feel that buying stuff I don't need, just to always have the latest, makes no sense.

rbxbear44 01-22-2012 06:36 PM

I switched. Had DSM2 and two years ago, lost Rx completely at a Big Jet at a large event with over 100 pilots in attendance with over 275 planes. Most of the time DSM2 is fine at my home field but when at a large event with full pilot stations and tons of jets being worked on under the tents...DSMX has greater security. Who knows how many Tx's were on at any one time at these larger events! But, I bet at KY, Nall or FJ, you could get as many as 45-50 Tx's on at any given time with pit work and flight line.

c/f 01-22-2012 06:45 PM

IRCHA is now the bench mark, 1000+ registered and couple hundred MCPx running on 2.4 in the pit area all the time.........

AndyAndrews 01-22-2012 07:34 PM

No, don't need to

bevar 01-22-2012 08:23 PM

IRCHA is not a good test because a Heli never gets more than maybe a hundred feet away from you. The Joe Nall is probably the best test...and as of the last couple of years...it does not matter what you use...when too many transmitters get turned on...planes start to go down...no matter what brand equipment you use.

Beave

ORIGINAL: c/f

IRCHA is now the bench mark, 1000+ registered and couple hundred MCPx running on 2.4 in the pit area all the time.........

Craig B. 01-22-2012 09:50 PM

Now that is the most sensible statement I have heard for a long time when it comes to which transmitter or what brand to use.....

IRCHA is not a good test because a Heli never gets more than maybe a hundred feet away from you. The Joe Nall is probably the best test...and as of the last couple of years...it does not matter what you use...when too many transmitters get turned on...planes start to go down...no matter what brand equipment you use.

Beave
+1 from me.

Craig.

DominicM 01-23-2012 02:54 AM

Are there any DSMX transmitters that support more than 10 channels? I'm suspecting not.

Based on what I'm hearing buying a new DSM2 transmitter like the DSX11 wouldn't be a good idea.

Selleri 01-23-2012 04:54 AM

My 12X is on DSMX does that count! ;)

Vincent 01-23-2012 04:56 AM

ORIGINAL: DominicM

Are there any DSMX transmitters that support more than 10 channels? I'm suspecting not.

Based on what I'm hearing buying a new DSM2 transmitter like the DSX11 wouldn't be a good idea.
The JR 11X DSMX can run 11 channels??
Vin...

flyinfool1 01-23-2012 07:18 AM

I will be staying with the DSM2 since I only use it for the cheapo BNF stuff that is out, anything of value or potentially dangerous is flown with Fasst.
I also do not know if there is or will be a DSMX module made for my 14MZ. I got the Spectrum module for my 14MZ just for the cheapo BNF stuff.

DominicM 01-24-2012 04:12 AM

I asked a UK supplier what the story is for DSMX transmitters.

"The JR 11X is DSM2 only. It will not be available in the UK with DSMX.
Currently, the most channels you can have on DSMX is 8, with the Spektrum DX8."

BarracudaHockey 01-24-2012 06:25 AM

ORIGINAL: DominicM

I asked a UK supplier what the story is for DSMX transmitters.

''The JR 11X is DSM2 only. It will not be available in the UK with DSMX.
Currently, the most channels you can have on DSMX is 8, with the Spektrum DX8.''
That my be the story in Europe but the 11X is DSMX and it works with all 11 channels.

siddus74 01-24-2012 10:23 AM

ORIGINAL: bevar

Beave

ORIGINAL: c/f

Hmm I guess when the guys Ive seen having suggested they have had lockouts etc there must of been a 1000 other DSM2 users hiding around the corner in the bushes ... :D

Does DSM2 channel hop now then, using the enitire spread or do they still lock on to specific channels?

Scott.

BaldEagel 01-24-2012 10:29 AM

As with the old Xtreme and Graupner gear the only way to get it to hop, is to tie it on a Frog.

Mike

luv2flyrc 01-24-2012 10:49 AM

I see no advantage to a hopping system vs one that locks onto 2 different channels. From a statistical perspective if you were unlucky enough to encounter noise that locks you out on BOTH channels at the same time, then the chances are very good that it has wiped out the entire band, in which case hopping doesn't help you either.

Mike