RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   How good are the SAVOX Servos?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10923692-how-good-savox-servos.html)

alfplaza 01-23-2012 02:06 PM

How good are the SAVOX Servos??

Hi,

I was browsing the Web and i found this SAVOX Servos, they seem to be a very good choice for our jets, i want to know if someone has tried them, comparable to the JRs Servos they are 50% cheaper and the end quality is almost the same.

Here is the link: https://www.savoxusa.com/Articles.asp?ID=200

I am evaluating servos for my 1/5 Scale F-86 Sabre jet and they seem to be perfect at a reasonable price.

siddus74 01-23-2012 02:10 PM

RE: How good are the SAVOX Servos??

I have a couple of 2658's on the back of my F15 .... no problems at all ..

Scott.

Dave Wilshere 01-23-2012 02:13 PM

Not as smooth as JR, but good servos.
Personally still go 8411/8711 by choice, but sold plenty of Savox and Spektrum servos

Dw

quist 01-23-2012 02:14 PM

I know of a few 3D and Heli guys that use them. They are very happy with the performance.

mavrick 01-23-2012 08:18 PM

I have switched over to the Savox on all of my new aircraft I am sick of paying top dollar for the so called top end servo's I am using the 1258 20 Kg they are awesome and I certainly wouldn't
risk my jets on crap
Cheers
Mav

FenderBean 01-23-2012 09:32 PM

Im big about trying new products, but for larger applications the savox high torque still doesn't match a jr 8711 or futaba. I will agree helis for sure and smaller jets savox are great but the best they have is 380ish at 7.4v
This would be fine if u have to run two servos on a elevator.

tulz161 01-23-2012 10:35 PM

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Im big about trying new products, but for larger applications the savox high torque still doesn't match a jr 8711 or futaba. I will agree helis for sure and smaller jets savox are great but the best they have is 380ish at 7.4v
This would be fine if u have to run two servos on a elevator.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...o-High-Voltage

444oz.

BarracudaHockey 01-24-2012 06:29 AM

Heli guys have been using the rebadged Savox servos under the Align name for a while with excellent results

airraptor 01-24-2012 09:33 AM

The Spektrum servos are now also made by Savox correct????

jetster81 01-24-2012 09:37 AM

ORIGINAL: airraptor

The Spektrum servos are now also made by Savox correct????

I believe they have been all along as a retail mate told me
<br type="_moz" />

FenderBean 01-24-2012 10:08 AM

Okay i missed that one but again it cost 150.00 and is only 444 at 7.4 volts, that makes the 8711 cheaper and more torque at less power.

siddus74 01-24-2012 10:14 AM

Makes me giggle ... the load on a jet surface compared to a helicopter swash plate is laughable:D ... I bet most 80N size jets would fly all day on 10kg MG servos ... (MG to protect against flutter)

Im not getting sucked into the whole 8411 money pit ... although I did get a new unused one from the Nats this year in a sealed box for £30 .... bargain (vendor didnt know what it was! lol)

Scott.

FenderBean 01-24-2012 11:12 AM

You need lots of holding power for large surface, I was just saying the same servo in a savox is more and requires more voltage to each the same as a jr. Not to mention it cost more which is what this thread is really about.

Ali 01-24-2012 11:13 AM

I think I have tried and tested pretty much every make of servo out there. With the number of airframes I cycle in a season, I would like nothing more than to cut down on the servo and electronic cost of set up. However, I have recently decided enough is enough. Having tried the "cheaper" makes of digital servo in various models ranging from jets to large aerobats I have come to the conclusion they are just not for me.
I have not suffered any failures as such. It's more of a case of being fed up with the lack of precision and the "feel" of the cheaper servos. I am perfectly aware and accept that some people will be totally happy and swear by such servos, and thats great. But for me, they have not worked out as I would have hoped. I am not going to get into a online battle regarding what servos are best, and is a particular servo worth the money. I just know that as far as I am concerned, my models will be built with JR digitals from now ( Even then I find some that I prefer more than others)
Regards Al

PHIL GREENO 01-24-2012 12:50 PM

Ali,
Sorry but Icould not disagree with you more.Savox are an OEMmanufacturer making servos for other brand names for years includingAlign/Sektrum to name only two.
Their High end digital servos have 4096 12 bit resolution with excellent centering superb ball raced titanimim gearboxes and very high quality construction and in most cases are upto 50% cheaper than the equivalent JR servo.

In the Heli 3D world JR servos dont have a look in yet a flybarless 600-700 heli really taxes a modern digital servo..This also applies in the IC car world both off and on road virtually nobodyuses JR servos in this very harsh enviroment.The IMAC world are also seeing the benefit of Savox or Savox made servos.

By comparison we in the jet world treat our servos with velvet gloves to the above with on the whole small smooth movements and short flight times.

I am in my third year using the excellent Savox made Spektrum 6030 servo which i use in all my 4 jets and find excellent with 20kg torque and very good value at under &pound;60.00 retail.

Every one is entitled to their own personal choice and some and I say only some of JR servos are very goodbut not twice as good as Savox or Spektrum.

With a mid sized scale/sports jet using 8-10 servos the saving in cost can be as high as &pound;500 ($750) by using one of the Savox derived servos.

I have always thought that JR servos are way over priced but thats my opinion and like Ali I am in the modelling trade.

Phil.

Ali 01-24-2012 01:09 PM

I guess I must just be unlucky... or not know what I am talking about. I have just dropped out a pair of Savox servos from a spot jet that would go out of trim on pitch and roll. Funny.... it doesn't seem to do that with 8411's fitted...
Or how about the 100cc aerobat that came to me with Savox OEM servos.. Same situation ( I could demo it on both aircraft. Show it trimmed in level flight hand off. The roll a number of time to one side. Stop the rolls and bingo! Every time the model would return to level flight, only to drift off to the direction the rolls were performed) Changed out to JR's and the same plane is rock solid... Mmmmmm :eek:

Dave Wilshere 01-24-2012 01:19 PM

I've not had trim issues on the few models I have with Spektrum/Savox servos (no jets), but I'm with Ali, I can notice the difference with JR servos fitted. Its all a personal thing and everyone's ideals and expectations are different. Ali likes a really well trimmed model and would notice issues that other pilots don't.
Current draw/heat tolerance/centring all varies with servos and brands...
I always plump for JR servos. Price is a personal thing, Car brands, Tv makes, house areas etc etc etc and we all have our own thoughts. I just don't have time for doing things twice...

Dw

alfplaza 01-24-2012 02:45 PM

Thanks for all the reply's, i don't intend to build a servos brands discussion, from what I've read there are different experiences on this servos, and haven't seen a BAD experiences (by defining BAD to losing a plane due to servo malfunction), I am getting myself into Bid Scale jets and i want my first project to be the least expensive (so my wife doesn't throws me out of the house), so precision is not a concern right now, but for a top gun or JWM competition it will sure be the main concern.

These are three conclusions that i came to with this thread:

1.- SAVOX Servos are a very good choice, with very good quality and value, even jets can fly with confidence with these servos
2.- If the airplane is to be used for competition in big jets and big 3d planes, the performance does not match JR or Futaba servos

siddus74 01-24-2012 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: alfplaza

2.- If the airplane is to be used for competition in big jets and big 3d planes, the performance does not match JR or Futaba servos

Great thread ...

Excluding the airplane bit, I bet 9.5 out 10 helipoliots would dissagree with the above statement ...

Scott.

Shaun Evans 01-24-2012 06:07 PM

Hi,

My only problem with them has been that the metal servo arms that fit JR don't seem to fit very well. There's a little bit of play with H-9, JR and some of the brands from the car side of the LHS, too.

PHIL GREENO 01-24-2012 11:26 PM

Well I have not noticed any trim change in pitch or roll on my models.

My Carf Hawk which has 6030's on all flying surfaces flys as if on rails,very easy to do low fast passes without any pitch change.

Most problems with a model not holding a trim in pitch or roll are due to bad linkage/hinge set up not the servo centering.

Stiff hinges, tight ball joints, binding of push rods, all have more effect on control surface centering than the difference in top end digital servos.

If you have a stiff hinge and then a small amount of play at the servo horn clevis end this can result in a control surface not centering as it should.

Lots of flyers do not pay attention to control link freedom of movement and just assemble a model as per manual without checking if there is any tightness or friction.

If Savox or Savox made other brand servos were that bad I can not for the life of me see how anyone could fly a top 3D heli with any precision,buy thousands do.

I have nothing against JR servos per say and 8411/8711 are great servos it is just there are some other products that offer better value for money without sacrificing quality.

Phil.

bigplumbs 01-25-2012 12:02 AM

The way I fly I would not notice if I had an escapement in my jets.

Deno

Ali 01-25-2012 12:42 AM

ORIGINAL: PHIL GREENO

Most problems with a model not holding a trim in pitch or roll are due to bad linkage/hinge set up not the servo centering.

Phil.
U
Really phil? You base that quite bold judgement based on how much experience with jets?

I can assure you that the linkages and hinges on my models in question are set up just fine. Thankyou for your words of wisdom and advice though.
In fact thinking about it, I can think of 5 different aircraft ( some of my own, and some of customers ) where the performance has been improved ( Noticeably by myself and the owners) by changing the servos. A prominent one that springs to mind is a flying buddy with a PST Reaction. When he was speccing the equipment for the new build I questioned his decision to go with a cheaper digital servo. Turns out the plane flew like cack, and my trim demo highlighted the servos. An evening spent changing them out to 8411's and the plane was transformed.

As you choose to disagree with my posting, I too choose to do the same to yours. Your example of 3D heli pilots in my mind is a poor one. Have you ever flown and 3D heli? if so, you might be ware that at the top level of this aspect of the sport ( Which is what you use as an example) The models themselves are very rarely left in a neutral control position. from what I have experienced in flying this type of model, and seeing some of the best in the world fly them the sticks are pretty much banged around the gimbels non stop for the entire flight. The models are set up to be aerodynamically unstable, and intact if you see them try and hover it appears that its quite a struggle for the pilot. I guess what I am trying to say is that the 3D heli comparison is a poor one when it comes to precision. An average jet can and does spend much larger sections of its flight flying in a straight line, at much higher speeds where control surface deviations will have more of an effect on the way in which the model flies.

Once again.. I have nothing against the cheaper digital servos. In fact the majority of servo sales across my stores is not in fact JR's. But having tried and tested various brands, and various types. My opinion is they are not as good as JR's, and for me one of the real joys of flying turbine models is the smoothness and precision in the controls and the perceived "feel" of the model Versus lets say a sport prop model or even a large aerobat. With that in mind, and the average value of a turbine model, I see it as well worth the extra money to ensure you have the very best servo, thus control set up possible.
Regards Al

ash 26 01-25-2012 12:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Ali

ORIGINAL: PHIL GREENO

Phil.

Really phil? You base that quite bold judgement based on how much experience with jets?

I can assure you that the linkages and hinges on my models in question are set up just fine. Thankyou for your words of wisdom and advice though.
In fact thinning about it, I can think of 5 different aircraft ( some of my own, and some of customers ) where the performance has been improved ( Noticeably by myself and the owners) by changing the servos. A prominent one that springs to mind is a flying buddy with a PST Reaction. When he was speccing the equipment for the new build I questioned his decision to go with a cheaper digital servo. Turns out the plane flew like cack, and my trim demo highlighted the servos. An evening spent changing them out to 8411's and the plane was transformed.

As you choose to disagree with my posting, I too choose to do the same to yours. Your example of 3D heli pilots in my mind is a poor one. Have you ever flown and 3D heli? if so, you might be ware that at the top level of this aspect of the sport ( Which is what you use as an example) The models themselves are very rarely left in a neutral control position. from what I have experienced in flying this type of model, and seeing some of the best in the world fly them the sticks are pretty much banged around the gimbels non stop for the entire flight. The models are set up to be aerodynamically unstable, and intact if you see them try and hover it appears that its quite a struggle for the pilot. I guess what I am trying to say is that the 3D heli comparison is a poor one when it comes to precision. An average jet can and does spend much larger sections of its flight flying in a straight line, at much higher speeds where control surface deviations will have more of an effect on the way in which the model flies.

Once again.. I have nothing against the cheaper digital servos. In fact the majority of servo sales across my stores is not in fact JR's. But having tried and tested various brands, and various types. My opinion is they are not as good as JR's, and for me one of the real joys of flying turbine models is the smoothness and precision in the controls and the perceived ''feel'' of the model Versus lets say a sport prop model or even a large aerobat. With that in mind, and the average value of a turbine model, I see it as well worth the extra money to ensure you have the very best servo, thus control set up possible.
Regards Al
+ 1 :D:D:Dwith all you said Ali

cheers

Andy

madmodelman 01-25-2012 02:42 AM

Al, with all due respect to someone who has flown probably more hours on jets than anyone else on the planet, Phil Greeno is one of the better pilots in the UK and should know what he's talking about.

When he was flying FAI pylon in the 70's (before you were born!) servo's were nowhere near as precise and powerful as they are nowadays and Phil used to fly on rails at substantial speeds, not quite as good as say Bob Violet who flew unbelievable precisely with his Bobcat as I'm sure Phil would agree, but nevertheless he would know if servo's were causing problems. Before I get comments I'm talking about the original Bobcat, not the jet!

As you know I have only been flying jets for two or three years but did used to fly FAI pylon in Phils era.

My L39 has Savox all round and I feel very confident with them, they are locked in and I never get a trim change ever. Then again it's a very stable model.

One can only speak from their own experiences but most jet pilots are in the good to average bracket and I think they would sense a servo problem or trim change and I have never heard a complaint about Savox before.

Not knocking JR, they are probably the best but personally I think that the Savox servo with it's 20kg pull, titanium gears etc. is a superb servo for the price.

To the OP I would confidently recommend them,

Gary.