RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   JL L-39 or CARF Hawk for 100m grass strip? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10929288-jl-l-39-carf-hawk-100m-grass-strip.html)

Worzey 01-26-2012 02:29 PM

JL L-39 or CARF Hawk for 100m grass strip?

I have recently sold my BVM Bobcat and have now decided to have a scale jet.
I fly from a 100m (well maintained) grass strip and have been offered a Jet Legend L-39/Wren 160 and also a CARF Hawk/Jetcat 120. The L-39 is £500 cheaper and with 5 hrs runtime on the airframe & engine, compared to the Hawk which is in mint condition but with 40 hrs on the engine (much less on the airframe).
I am told both aircraft are good for grass field as the L-39 is a steady platform with big wheels and the Hawk is light giving low approach speed.
Trouble is....I can't make up my mind!!
Is there anyone out there with experience of both of these planes, that they are willing to share?
Cheers
Ian

ash 26 01-26-2012 03:04 PM

RE: JL L-39 or CARF Hawk for 100m grass strip?

Hi Ian
I Fly my JL L 39 all the time of grass I had a Simjet 3000 31lb trust in mine and with that it will take all of the 100 m I have now re engined it with a new wren 160 but have not had a chance to try it out as yet due to the wet weather we have been having [:@] all I can say it is a super aeroplane I love it how good are your approaches in and out of the field ? I could always sell you back the P 200 then you could do a vertical take off :D:D:D
sorry cant say anything about the CARF Hawk but is one that I am planing on getting in the near future

cheers

Andy

Worzey 01-26-2012 03:21 PM

P200 in a 35lb L-39......Sounds good!

Are you still flying the P200 Andy?

Thanks for your thoughts on the L-39

ash 26 01-26-2012 03:42 PM

Would you believe it I never even started it ,it is all ready to go but just never had the balls yet to take it we where getting a ex RAF base up north but unfortunately it never developed into anything I would just prefer to fly it out of a big place till I get used to it ,but it is going to see the sky this year

cheers

Andy

bluescoobydoo 01-27-2012 12:04 AM

got a wren 160 in my jl 39 and is a perfect combo suits grass very well, take off with flap will shorten your take off.

Jim Cattanach 01-27-2012 12:19 AM

Where short runways are concerned, everyone seems to worry about the take off. I can take off no problem on a short strip, it's the landing that is more difficult in my opinion.
I would choose the L39, rather than a Hawk, for landing on a short strip.

bigplumbs 01-27-2012 12:29 AM

100 m dont seem enough to me to either take off or land with one of the planes mentioned

Deno

Colin Gontier 01-27-2012 01:00 AM

Ian,

I have owned both planes and our grass strip is about 80 metres, I reckon. I sold my L39 but still have the Hawk. Both came in and out of the strip with ease, no problems at all. If I was to split hairs I would say the Hawk is better as it is a lighter loaded setup in case things go wrong. My L39 was a painted out of the mould version so had a bit more weight to it than the standard Jet Legend kit. I had a JetCat160Sx in the L39 and 120SX in the Hawk. All round the Hawk is the better flying aircraft IMHO but both are brilliant - you wont be disappointed whichever way you go.

regards

Colin

Dave Wilshere 01-27-2012 01:40 AM

+1

I've test flown a new JL L-39 from our 90m grass strip and regularly fly CARF Hawk's there. Both cope well, but the Hawk is lighter loaded and in flat calm conditions would be better. L-39 also takes longer on the take-off.
Either are good aeroplanes, though the Hawk KE better..than anything!

Dw

madmodelman 01-27-2012 03:06 AM

Can't speak for the Hawk Ian but if you look at the early part of this vid you can see how slow, steep and precisely you can bring the L39 in, despite what others say I maintain that the airbrakes work extremely well.

Take off no problem with a 160.
Gary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj1Pu...layer_embedded

Henke Torphammar 01-27-2012 04:39 AM

I do not know any of the planes but chooseing a plane that bairly works on the field will not provide a comfortable feeling while flying it. How can you relax when you know that every landing needs to be 95% or more perfect. Most Jetflyers I've seen in action live, fly way to little to keep the edge and the high precision needed, they usually need +/-100meters just to touch down.

Worzey 01-27-2012 11:16 AM

Henke

For the last 4 years I have been flying BVM Bobcats (XL & Composite) Boomerangs, Harpoons, Savex L-39 out of our field with no problem.
I would like to have a 120-160 turbine powered scale type model and I know that a number of this type of model fly from such small fields. As I have narrowed the type of model I would like, I just wanted an opinion from those that have flown them.
Incidently, 100m of grass with good approaches from all directions is bigger than some people realise......Try marking out 100m of your flying club then practice taking off/landing within that area. I reckon you'll surprise yourself! Remember that grass has a high braking effect on the model too.

Dave Wilshere 01-27-2012 11:52 AM

We fly Spark EDF and Turbine (no flaps) Flash, Ultra Flash, Lightning, Ultra Lightning, CARF Tutor, CARF Hawk, 3-D Universe, JL L-39, JL Small Hawk, DL Cyclone, Harpoon, Inspiration, Fox Hawk etc etc from our grass strip and most pilots of all experiences manage to land fine without a problem...