RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Spektrum DX18 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10938140-spektrum-dx18.html)

sgrady 05-31-2012 07:14 AM

RE: Spektrum DX18

Mine is in, have to go pick it up

smaze17 05-31-2012 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: madmodelman

There will always be a duff one Andy with anything mass produced.
I must have had well over 1000 flights over the last three years with a DSX9 using mainly Spektrum recievers with not so much as a glitch.
I will admit to having a couple of rx's which would not rebind and Horizon replaced them with new but never had an in flight failure.
Gary.
Agreed. I have hundreds of flights on my trusty DX7 and never once had a glitch if any kind. Trust Spektrum completely. I'm sure I'll be picking up a DX18 for my Electra ;)

S

RJE 05-31-2012 08:24 AM

Does anybody know the difference between this and the 12x..Other than the obvious number of channels..End point adjustments, finer input to servo movements, etc ?

Thanks

Xairflyer 05-31-2012 09:25 AM

Radios always get the blame, some of the installations I have seen are a crash waiting to happen

Tom Antlfinger 05-31-2012 10:08 AM

Being a rep means nothing to me as far as my installs. I have seen marginal installs i.e. multiple servo wire splices with bad looking plugs, a single 22 ga wire from a 6000 ma LiPo to an old switch in a heavy scale jet, etc.

Mine is going into my aging test bed, a near five year old BXL with now my 10 y/o P-120.

Like Gary noted, always can have a duff off the assembly line. I like to burn in my new stuff on my bench for 24 hrs or about 25 flights in the old Boomer. I picked up a glitchy 1221 last year right out of the box, and several bad new servos in the past.

My only near misses the last 12 years with 10X-12X and Futaba 12FGA and some Speky RX's have been bad power, i.e. batteries, switches, and crappy servo wires. I now do all my own or have Andy Low make them up custom. Zero crashes from radio failure.....

Tom

kirkj 05-31-2012 10:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Tom Antlfinger

Being a rep means nothing to me as far as my installs. I have seen several crap installs, multiple servo wire splices with bad looking plugs, 22 ga wire from a 6000 ma LiPo to an old switch in a heavy scale jet, etc.

Mine is going into my aging test bed, a near five year old BXL with now my 10 y/o P-120.

Like Gary noted, always can have a duff off the assembly line. I like to burn in my new stuff on my bench for 24 hrs or about 25 flights in the old Boomer. I picked up a glitchy 1221 last year right out of the box, and several bad new servos in the past.

My only near misses the last 12 years with 10X-12X and Futaba 12FGA and some Speky RX's have been bad power, i.e. batteries, switches, and crappy servo wires. I now do all my own or have Andy Lo make them up custom. Zero crashes from radio failure.....

Tom
Excellent points and very well said.

jetsett 05-31-2012 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

Radios always get the blame, some of the installations I have seen are a crash waiting to happen
I have to Agree!, I've been flying RC for over 20 Years and have never had a lockout or accident contributed to radio failure, and trust me. I've used nearly all brands of transmitters and recievers. Don't blame the brand I say!

Mr_Grump 06-01-2012 03:30 AM

Hi All

I just picked up my DX-18 from my local hobby shop. The shop and I were both surprised when it showed up. While I'm still digging through menus and features, overall it's impressive. It really has a good feel to it.

Since my current model project needs about 10 channels, I'm a little dissapointed that I have to spend almost another $100 to take advantage of the needed channels. I may be able to do without one and use the included 9 channel receiver but having all this technology, in my opinion, I shouldn't have to. I don't yet understand why you'd make a 10 channel radio and not have a 10 channel receiver. Not even a JR version.

I have a DX-8 which is a great radio. I sold my 12Z Futaba because I hated the manual and effort required to setup something new. It to is a great radio if you want to spend a lot of time learning to use it. I swithed to Spekturm because I liked the software and manual.

The DX-18 will be another great Spektrum radio but as of now, I'm undecided if I'll keep it or just order a 12 channel JR.

Mr G

gooseF22 06-01-2012 05:19 AM

I have the DX18 now.. its a super radio.. Its fully configurable, much more than the 12X.. but the biggest advantage I can see is the dual polarization.. I am seeing significantly better reception overall.. I have had it for a few days now..

Example: I flew my Habu (AR7000 with data) a few flights with 12X, which was just back home from full system check/transmitter board replacement, antenna replacement, and DSMX upgrade.. Of course the 12X performed flawlessly, and typical numbers for a 5 min flight are almost always 15-20 for A and 30 - 50 for B.. I fly it high and far out. Im seeing a definite improvement on DSM2 there.. the first flight was 0 and 6. second flight 2 and 8.. and so on.. so about 50 to 75% improvement in fades..

To me, that is the sole reason to upgrade, along with all the programming additions.. Although we are using version1.00 of the software, I do believe HH will upgrade the software as people come up with an easier way to do things... example: the gear interface needs a little work.. a couple of shortcuts for setting up Wheels with nothing else as the default instead of gear doors.. Another will be Crow.. The sailplane programming is very robust, but Crow in the airplane mode will require a tweak to the software I think..

Being able to configure any button to any function is cool.. If you use a 12 channel receiver, you have full functionality/speed on the X+ channels up to 12..

I recommend each person figure out their own channel assignment methods and kinda use it over and over.. for instance, I have elected to put the landing gear on channel 10 on my jets.. that puts 9 primary channels on the flight controls.. this way I can use a 9 channel receiver with Xplus, and channelize the first 9 channels for surfaces.. It takes some getting used to thinking outside the box. The monitor menu shows first 10 channels, then the Xplus menue shows the remainder, so I put stuff on that page that is set once and forget type things like Gear, gyro, smoke... like the manual says to do..

Gyro programming takes some thought as well.. It can be configured to do about anything, but it takes some thought.. It can be triggered with buttons, curves, mixes.. whatever..

It has a ton of mixes, so you can configure it any way you want.. It self mixes dual surfaces like dual elevator, rudders, ailerons, flaps.. then you can assign them to any channel.. I like that alot.. The servo monitor page for first 10 channels is visible on almost every programming page, so you can see the mixes happening real time instead of taking the risk live. It also has absolute travel mode, which limits a servo in the event of an overtravel due to a mix or something.. its off by default but can be activated..

It has the standard 5 flight modes, but you can mix and match common or individual trims in each mode..example: I have individual pitch and roll trim per flight mode but common rudder trim.. this way its easy to trim out any pitch and roll changes with the flaps in mid or down (fm 2/3) separately from go fast flight mode 1.

The Model selection is via a quick menu, so you dont have to cycle power anymore.. thats nice.. the gymbals are outstanding.. the BUTTON from the 10X days is BACK !!.. the clutter is less, and the Lipo system legacy from the DX8 is great..

Its a good design for 2/3 the cost of a 12X.. I will be giving my feedback to HH soon.. we already discussed the Gear Programming improvement. Its also nice, like the DX8, to be able to squirt new updates via the card..

Again, the reception improvement with the dual diversity Vertical and horizontal polarized signals is a HUGE improvement in complex airplanes with alot of stuff in them.

I will report out on DSMX as soon as I get it going.. just got a few X receivers.

In the end, I will probably be selling the 12X because I have the 18 and 8 now.. they are so similar its easy to swap back and forth. So now its a function of learning the menus..

my quick look 2c..goose

madmodelman 06-01-2012 05:29 AM

Hey Goose,
Many thanks for the update, having to wait for mine in the Uk so it's nice to hear what it's like, can't wait!
Gary.

Mr_Grump 06-01-2012 10:47 AM

Lots of good info. Thanks Goose

Mr G

Gordon W 06-01-2012 12:27 PM

Thanks for posting your overview Goose. It explains a lot and I've saved it as a word file so that I can easily find and refer to it when I get my DX-18.

Best regards

Gordon

w4sm 06-02-2012 12:57 AM

Atlanta Hobby is now showing the DX-18 as in stock and shipping.

Tom Antlfinger 06-02-2012 04:11 AM

First impression I am impressed...ergonomics fit my hand with the rubber grips on the case and scroll wheel...the neck strap is well balanced.....signicantly lighter than the 12X, similar to a 12FGA.....really like the new solid dual diversiy antenna....fits in my old 10X case with a little foam trimming.....as Goose noted, a few software quirks need tweaking, but overall very easy to program...

I like it......

snobird 06-02-2012 05:18 AM

My DX18 will not bind to my Spektrum Cockpit SRS anyone have any info about this issue. already sent E's to HH and Powerbox

madmodelman 06-02-2012 07:55 AM

Not teaching you to suck eggs but have you programmed the powerbox to DSMX?
Gary.

snobird 06-02-2012 08:23 AM

Yes. had my 12x in the plane before

gooseF22 06-03-2012 07:41 AM

ORIGINAL: snobird

My DX18 will not bind to my Spektrum Cockpit SRS anyone have any info about this issue. already sent E's to HH and Powerbox
move the transmitter about 10 - 20 feet away and try again.. if that wont work, unplug the satellites and put them in different ports... I encountered that the other day.. its some signal harmonic/diversity/swamping issue.. I have seen it in previous models, but since the antenna is dual polarized, it can become more common..

I saw this on my 12120X+ the other day...

gooseF22 06-03-2012 08:07 AM

Guys.. a product bulletin for binding the telemetry with the power save receivers.. fyi.. why post it here.. cause Telem is really nicely embedded in this radio.. Im putting it in all my jets.. with no add ons, it monitors the fades/holds, and the rx power. I plan to add to it as we go.. hoping the jetcat telem box will work with projet, and planning on using the airspeed/alt function later.. basically you gotta add power to the bus separately during binding.

Binding Telemetry with Power-Safe Receivers
Spektrum Power Safe receivers like the AR9100/ AR9110, AR12100/ AR12110
and the AR7100/ AR7110 require a special binding procedure when using
telemetry modules.
Step #1- Insert a bind plug in the bind port in the receiver.

Step #2- Insert the telemetry modules’ Data port lead into any un-used channel
in the receiver. (Note: If all channels are being used remove any servo lead from
the receiver to allow an open servo port to be accessed).

Step #3- Power the receiver through the EC3 connector. Note that all the
receivers (internal and remote) should be flashing indicating they are in bind
mode.

Step #4- Using a second battery, insert the battery plug into any un-used
channel in the receiver while pressing and holding the bind button on the side of
the telemetry module. This will place the telemetry module in bind mode.

Step #5- Make sure that the LED’s are flashing on all receivers and on the
telemetry module. Place the all channels (sticks and switches) on the transmitter
in the desired failsafe position. Now bind the transmitter to the system.

Step #6- Remove the second battery from the receiver, remove the bind plug
and move the telemetry module connector to the bind port to allow flight log data
to be displayed.
Note: Do not leave the secondary battery plugged in for more than a few minutes
as damage to the battery can occur.

snobird 06-03-2012 10:02 AM

Thanks . move away as you said and it did bind. but i lost all my settings. thanks for the help

gooseF22 06-03-2012 06:38 PM

Pb internal settings lost? I would guess that it resets because of the negotiations.

Another quirk is how it steals the gear channel when complex plane setups are loaded. I will report that to hh. Forces u into the sequencer.

A cool point about gyro is curves. You can increase sensitivity around center and decrease it towards the ends. Example: gyro rudder to gyro sens on gyro page. Kinda like a mix. As stick deflection increases you can decr sensitivity in a 5point. I'm playing w a jr500 on it. So far using about 15%in middle and 5 on outside mid stick.

Warnings can only be programmed on primary 10 chans.

Need to upgrade firmware to remove banner in poweR off screen. When the new software is on the sim card it will update at power on.

Mixes can be a combination of switches or a mix from a switch to a function. Ex:button I to aux 3. Ala. button brakes like the 10x. Took one min to get it right. Turned on by gear down and/or throttle in pos0(idle). Stuff like that.

Play w the throttle trigger points in the analog as well as elevator trigger. If u are a down elevator braking you can trigger full braking with a slight down move versus proportional.

So far dsmx reception has been excellent on my habu and Trojan. (testing for confidence).

More as I learn it

Jack Diaz 06-03-2012 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

Pb internal settings lost? I would guess that it resets because of the negotiations.

Goose, great review. Thanks.

The Spektrum Cockpit resets every time you change modulation (DSM2 / DSMX)

Jack

TimWatson 06-03-2012 10:53 PM

Looks like those who have it are generally impressed

Mr_Grump 06-04-2012 11:44 AM

FYI....

The transmitter NAG screen will return in V1 of the software. I was working in the Travel menu. I was having a problem figuring out how to select the upper and lower left flap travel. It suddenly flipped to the top level screen. After that, I had the NAG screen.

Had to reinstall the V1 software to fix it. Unfortunately, I was unable to duplicate it.

Mr G

Gordon W 06-04-2012 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

Another quirk is how it steals the gear channel when complex plane setups are loaded. I will report that to hh. Forces u into the sequencer.

Isn't it likely that the gear channel is stolen to reduce latency between channels required to operate accurately together, such as dual aileron or dual elevator, or maybe twin servos on rudder?

In a similar manner the JR 10X steals the gear channel for quad flap mix. After I'd worked out how to re-assign the gear switch to channel 9 or 10 on the 10X, depending on the no of channels in the Rx, I subsequently always used chan 9 or 10 for gear on all my retract-equipped models. The reason for this on the 10X is that chans 9 and 10 are only updated at 1/2 frame rate, and with gear being only a 2-position switched channel, it doesn't need full frame rate. On the RCgroups thread, if I remember correctly, Andy Kunz of Horizon said that the DX18 updates chans 13 to 18 at 1/2 frame rate. So these channels should not be used for primary controls, and re-assigning the gear channel to one of these would be a sound solution if you're using the X-plus 8 channel expander.

Or am I on the wrong track altogether wrt the reason for the DX18 automatic gear channel re-allocation? (I won't have a DX18 for at least a couple of months)

Gordon