RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Spektrum DX18 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10938140-spektrum-dx18.html)

Duncan 02-02-2012 06:27 AM

RE: Spektrum DX18

Gary it was a joke, like your american spelling ;)

fly24-7 02-02-2012 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: CraigG

ORIGINAL: fly24-7

Help me understand why someone would want a JR version of the same thing? I've gotta think the programing in this is going to be similar to the 12X. You know you're going to pay more just for the name. Probably much more.

I think it'll be cheaper to replace your closet full of JR shirts and caps with Spektrum stuff than it will be to buy a JR version of this radio... :D
Well, historically Spektrum was the ''sport'' version of JR. Similar products but usually with less features/channels and presumably not as high quality and of course, less expensive. For example, Spektrum never had a tx in the 12X class.

This DX18 has obviously leap-frogged the 12X and looks to be state-of-the-art but at $400 to $500 less than a 12X, I just have to ask if JR will have something ''bettter''. If JR comes out with the ''same thing'', no, there would be no reason to buy it but that will be a major departure from past history.

Here's the way I see it. Horizon comes out with an 18 channel radio for $800.00. Who's the target user? Jet and giant scale guys. What do the jet and giant scale guys use today? 10X through 12X and any other brand 10-18 channel that's on the market today (I know, there are exceptions in users that use fewer channels). These can be the only people they're trying to attract because the current prototypical Spektrum customer (like me) doesn't have the need to jump from a 7-8 channel radio to 18 channels.

It would make sense to me that Horizon would design features into the new radio such that guys currently using the above mentioned radios would be willing to jump (time will tell). I'd go a step further and say they probably did their homework, talked with users, and figured out what features are really important and which are just fluff. That would be the way you'd go about offering a competitive product and significantly undercutting the competition in price.

Seems to me that you're witnessing the beginings of a new strategy. They clearly are trying to bring a new customer group into the Spektrum fold. It'll be interesting to see what part JR plays in Horizon's future.

ModellbauUK 02-02-2012 09:55 AM

Is the supplied receiver 18 channels?

Is the AR9020 18 channels as can't find any reference to the spec of this receiver<br type="_moz" />

ColinJ 02-02-2012 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: ModellbauUK

Is the supplied receiver 18 channels?

Is the AR9020 18 channels as can't find any reference to the spec of this receiver<br type="_moz" />
The AR9020 IS A 9 Channel receiver. Doesn't make much sense that

DominicM 02-02-2012 10:14 AM

Explained on this page.

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroon..._dx18_pg2.html

"The Spektrum DX18 is capable of transmitting on 18 proportional channels. Supplied with an AR9020 X-Plus capable nine channel receiver, expansion is easily achieved with the addition of and X-Plus expansion module(SPMXP8000). Just plug the module into the AR9020 and bind it. The DX18 will automatically detect the extra channels and give the menu options needed to assign the extra functions. It's just what anyone who flies complex scale models or high-performance sailplanes needs."

bobl2 02-02-2012 10:19 AM

I thought Spektrum was doing nine channels and below radios and JR had nine and above. Guess not.

Rob2160 02-02-2012 10:53 AM

Nice Radio,

Its on the shopping list... can't wait to fly my BNF 4 channel aircraft with it.....

Seriously, I will never use 18 channels but I like the radio so I will buy one when they are available in Australia.

Doug Cronkhite 02-02-2012 11:20 AM

This goes along with my thinking that eventually Horizon wants to separate from JR since with Spektrum they get to design the radio and have direct input into the software. With JR, it's very much the opposite. JR gives them a new radio and for the most part they're stuck with it.

John Tancock 02-02-2012 12:02 PM

I still prefer JR to SPEC, even though I do not use it anymore! I still would not trust DSM2 in an expensive model (Jets, Large scale and on), this due to the losses I have seen around me, from well known people who know how install such systems! I do on the other hand, see JR responding to the competition, and in true fashion producing a first class product with a more reliable frequency hopping system, of that currently used by SPEC! Futaba’s flag ship (18 MZ), is a very well engineered peace of kit, colour screen and camera is not essential, but from a programming point of view, it is a masterpiece and can cater for pretty much anything you can think of (at the moment)! Is it worth £2200? Not sure, but sales over here have shown that it seems to be!:eek:

ColinJ 02-02-2012 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: RLeeds

I thought Spektrum was doing nine channels and below radios and JR had nine and above. Guess not.

That was in the early days in the UK they have in effect split from each other

airraptor 02-02-2012 12:42 PM

The 18 comes with a 9 channel reciever and you can buy the expansion which only has 8 extra channels where do the 18th channel come in at?

Colin_Mc 02-02-2012 12:48 PM

Want.

When can I put my pre-order in? :)

I've owned a DSX12 since it came out and while it's a nice radio it's rapidly been left far behind feature wise. The dual diversity antenna of the DX18 had me sold before I even read the rest of the features.

Does anyone know if the front is a metal alloy or plastic?

Robrow 02-02-2012 12:49 PM

Is there a bus system Rx available? I think with the latest gen of 16-18 channel systems now becoming available it's a much less busy option.

Rob.

Colin_Mc 02-02-2012 12:51 PM

ORIGINAL: ColinJ

ORIGINAL: RLeeds

That was in the early days in the UK they have in effect split from each other
The switches, sliders and knobs along with the gui control system looks straight out of the JR camp though.
<br type="_moz" />

eastlondoner 02-02-2012 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Mart (Ham)

Anyone now when this is likely to be available in the uk?

Regards
Martin
Stocks expected end of this month (apparently) on Al's Hobbies site here in the UK, costing £699.99 (Tx and rx combo):

http://alshobbies.com/shop/cat.php?id=474

[8D]

Selleri 02-02-2012 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: John Tancock
....with a more reliable frequency hopping system, of that currently used by SPEC!...

Read up on the DSMX that's the standard Spektrum modulation. ;)

ira d 02-02-2012 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Colin_Mc

The switches, sliders and knobs along with the gui control system looks straight out of the JR camp though.
<br type="_moz" />
What you and many others have noticed is just a illusion JR and Spektrum have no connection to each other and dont share any technoligyhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

PHIL GREENO 02-02-2012 10:41 PM

mis-informed by a Futaba user, who would think it LOL(Duncan)

I think you are very mistaken.

The first batch of 18MZ sets sold out in 2 days here in the UK.

Yes price is a consideration but not the only factor.

Futaba are the oldest of our current rc manufactuers,making rc sets from the mid 1960's so they have a huge brand following.

The price of the transmitter we use is spread over many models and many years of use we all realise that.

It is a personal choice and we all think long and hard before deciding which radio to use and trust in our models.

The Spektrum DX18 will sell in bucket loads.The very low price alone will ensure that,but in a years time how many will be seen in the jet world,only time will tell.

As I said before you pays your money and make your own choice.............

Phil.

MX240 02-03-2012 07:02 AM

Still no touch screen.
Man, they love that darn roller dial

ghoffman 02-03-2012 07:23 AM

Sub'ed

Colin_Mc 02-03-2012 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: MX240

Still no touch screen.
Man, they love that darn roller dial
I fail to see what positives other than the bling factor what a touchscreen can achieve over traditional input methods?

Negatives I see are higher cost, weight, power consumption and the ability to read the screen under direct sunlight.

BaldEagel 02-03-2012 07:37 AM

Colin

The new Futaba 18 has a back light that enables it to be seen in bright sunlight and it now has a very good power consumption, should last all day with ease, the extra plus is the size of the screen, it allows programming from one screen instead of scrolling through lots to get anything done.

Mike

schroedm 02-03-2012 07:42 AM

I'm sure DX18 will fill a gap in the market and do a great job but whilst people still like to question the 18MZ, I'm yet to have it proven otherwise that, in life, quite simply you get what you pay for..........

Duncan 02-03-2012 08:12 AM

Phil i was commenting on Dominics post in which he referred to you saying that they weren't coming out until November, hence the joke (which it was by the way) so no need for a high horse on this one.

Colin_Mc 02-03-2012 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Colin

The new Futaba 18 has a back light that enables it to be seen in bright sunlight and it now has a very good power consumption, should last all day with ease, the extra plus is the size of the screen, it allows programming from one screen instead of scrolling through lots to get anything done.

Mike
Thanks for that, not seen one in the flesh.

Mark, not questioning the 18MZ in the slightest as I would have one in a heartbeat if all my a/c weren't spektrum/jr/powerbox integrated rx.