RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Futaba 14MZ Turbine setup! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10947930-futaba-14mz-turbine-setup.html)

Jetfan20 02-07-2012 07:12 AM

Futaba 14MZ Turbine setup!

Hi Guys,

I have switched from JR 9303 to Futaba 14 TX. I'm trying to do the learn process for the turbine. With the JR it has a non digital throttle trim so the learn process is fairly easy to setup. With the Futaba it has a digital throttle trim. When I teach the ICS/ECU the trim and throttle steps it goes in fine. But, when I do the start process with the trim, the ECU lights up ready at half trim not full trim like the JR. Should I change something in the TX travel or subtrim? Does it really matter?

Thanks for the Help!

rhklenke 02-07-2012 07:25 AM

RE: Futaba 14MZ Turbine setup!

ORIGINAL: Jetfan20

Hi Guys,

I have switched from JR 9303 to Futaba 14 TX. I'm trying to do the learn process for the turbine. With the JR it has a non digital throttle trim so the learn process is fairly easy to setup. With the Futaba it has a digital throttle trim. When I teach the ICS/ECU the trim and throttle steps it goes in fine. But, when I do the start process with the trim, the ECU lights up ready at half trim not full trim like the JR. Should I change something in the TX travel or subtrim? Does it really matter?

Thanks for the Help!
It doesn't really matter as long as trim up the turbine runs and trim down it goes into shutdown. On my Futaba transmitters, I set the "trim step" on the throttle as large as possible so that it only takes a short time of holding the trim button down to go from run to shutdown. I think if you set the trim step to maximum, it only takes one or two "bumps" to go from full up to full down trim, so the shutdown is very quick - which you want it to be if you need to shut down the turbine in flight.

Bob

quist 02-07-2012 07:35 AM

I step my trim to about 180. This is three beeps from low trim to high trim. You can also assign trim to a sliders or dial nob if you like a non digital trim.

Jetfan20 02-07-2012 09:18 AM

Thanks guys, With your input, it works perfect.

siclick33 02-07-2012 09:46 AM

My preference is to disable the throttle trim completely and use the throttle cut function. That way one switch flick will give you either trim low or trim high without having to worry about trim steps.

If using this method, make sure you don't accidentally flick the switch to 'low' when airborne or moving the throttle to idle will shut the turbine off[X(].

sirrom 02-07-2012 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: siclick33

My preference is to disable the throttle trim completely and use the throttle cut function. That way one switch flick will give you either trim low or trim high without having to worry about trim steps.

If using this method, make sure you don't accidentally flick the switch to 'low' when airborne or moving the throttle to idle will shut the turbine off[X(].

+1

Patrick

BaldEagel 02-07-2012 10:53 AM

Just a heads up on the Futaba top end range, the "Idle down" function can also be used as an "Idle up" this allows a high idle with the gear up if you wish, this gives a more reliable tick over, less chance of a compressor stall at low speed and a quicker response to WOT.

Mike

ww2birds 02-07-2012 01:10 PM

I use the left top slider as the throttle trim on my 14MZ .. this gives me an analog trim that works like the JR systems ..trivial setup in the FUNCTION menu .. just change the trim from the digital level to the slider.

The other techniques sound good too.

Dave

FenderBean 02-07-2012 04:45 PM

Very true I had this very setup on my 100cc yak, I had a landing idle and fly idle.

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Just a heads up on the Futaba top end range, the ''Idle down'' function can also be used as an ''Idle up'' this allows a high idle with the gear up if you wish, this gives a more reliable tick over, less chance of a compressor stall at low speed and a quicker response to WOT.

Mike

PaulD 02-08-2012 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: sirrom

ORIGINAL: siclick33

+1

Patrick
+1 as well

I use a switch as the throttle cut and have installed a red boot over the switch so it stands out physically and visually to help prevent accidental actuation as well as indentification if I wanted to ask someone else to shut down my turbine for me.

PaulD