RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Hawker Hunter 1/6th scale ARF from Flying Legends (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10952674-hawker-hunter-1-6th-scale-arf-flying-legends.html)

jzuniga 04-13-2012 09:09 PM

RE: Hawker Hunter 1/6th scale ARF from Flying Legends

Dang you Mike! Your gonna finish yours before i finish mine! :D

Z

V2PLUS10 04-13-2012 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: smchale

Mike,
Nice progress. Maybe the various wing bolts are a security feature to prevent anyone from stealing your wings?!:D. Like a puzzle lock on a nice set of rims.
Do you plan on making the fuse one pce for 99% of the time, or modifying how you access the bolts so it can be separated more frequently?
This too will be my first turbine (going to use the B100F) as well so as many good pics as you can post regarding the plumbing and install will be helpful!
Thanks!

The B100F looks like a really good choice....were you able to find one in the U.S.? Canada is as close as I could get....

Jeremy_D 04-13-2012 11:51 PM

Great Thread!!

I've just placed my order for one in the next batch through Global Jet Club. Really looking forward to getting it. Please keep the pics coming Mike.

Cheers

Jeremy

smchale 04-14-2012 02:15 AM

ORIGINAL: V2PLUS10

Mike,
Nice progress. Maybe the various wing bolts are a security feature to prevent anyone from stealing your wings?!:D. Like a puzzle lock on a nice set of rims.
Do you plan on making the fuse one pce for 99% of the time, or modifying how you access the bolts so it can be separated more frequently?
This too will be my first turbine (going to use the B100F) as well so as many good pics as you can post regarding the plumbing and install will be helpful!
Thanks!

The B100F looks like a really good choice....were you able to find one in the U.S.? Canada is as close as I could get....
I hope it is. Altecare is the north American dist. I'm not worried though as I've bought overseas items from Peter before and always had great service.

speed is life 04-14-2012 07:51 AM

ORIGINAL: jzuniga

Dang you Mike! Your gonna finish yours before i finish mine! :D

Z
Z
The colors showed up and they are absolutely spot on. I think the clear one(s) must be a matt or semi-matt because the colors work without any added mix.
Many thanks!

<br type="_moz" />

jzuniga 04-14-2012 08:08 AM

Cool... glad they worked out ;)

Z

smchale 04-17-2012 04:06 PM

Got tracking confirmation on my model from Anaheim, CA, should arrive here on the 24th.
Also, ordered my turbine today from Altecare. Elected to go with the B100F for the Hunter. I think it should be a nice fit.

Hopefully some Hunters start arrive to their new owners soon so we can see some more progress in this thread. [8D]. Thanks to Colin for leading the way, and Mike for following in his footsteps. Any further progress Mike?

mikedenilin 04-17-2012 04:59 PM

Hi Sean,

Nice website you have there. I love that F-104. Eventually I will fly one. It looks scary to fly, like my MIG21.

http://www.strictlyscale.com/Strictl...Wish_List.html

"So many planes.....so little time...."

Now you can move this "Wish List" jet to "Present" ;)

Mike

smchale 04-17-2012 05:28 PM

Thanks Mike, you're right I can finally take the Hunter off the 'wish list'! :D
I have a set of scale gear for another F104 and wouldn't be surprised to see a turbine version in my hanger in the future. It's not terribly difficult to fly, just takes some getting used to how it presents itself in the turns.

speed is life 04-17-2012 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Slow going this week......did have Greg Moore (jetflyer) up from Colorado Springs to visit and inspect the model.<div>
<div>Got to fitting out the wings; aileron and flap servos, control horns, R&amp;R the retracts to get to the airlines and check all the screws. Gave each cylinder a shot of BVM retract cylinder oil.</div><div>Kit was missing all but one of the black reinforced plastic servo mounting "L" brackets[:@]So I ordered up the nice aluminum 0-flex ones from Todd at Dreamworks. The pre-installed ply servo mounts in the vertical tail and in flap/aileron pockets needed some fair amount of surgery to get a correct fit.........would have been the same issue with the mounting brackets (one) that were with the kit.</div><div>Pre routed slots for the control horns in the flaps and ailerons are not offset to accommodate the supplied ball links when the servos are set in place so I have Sullivan 4-40 links on each end. (the rudder was the only surface with a properly positioned control horn slot for the ball link).</div><div></div><div>Taking the time to modify the servo covers with the tiny countersunk BVM polyply screws, very much nicer look than the big buttonhead Phillips that are supplied.</div><div>Many thanks to "Z" for the touchup paint from FB, it will make the servo cover screws all but invisible.</div></div>

mikedenilin 04-17-2012 05:54 PM

I have better luck with MOLYKOTE® 55 O-RING GREASE on these o-rings from Asia. Some of their o-rings will swell using other O-ring grease.

Mike

speed is life 04-17-2012 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: mikedenilin

I have better luck with MOLYKOTE&reg; 55 O-RING GREASE on these o-rings from Asia. Some of their o-rings will swell using other O-ring grease.

Mike
Hi Mike, thanks for the insight. Actually not using grease, but the (silicon?) BVMspecialoil:
<a href="http://shopbvmjets.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&amp;cPath=12&amp; products_id=25&amp;zenid=af4205085dcktkgb562ggip1q 2">http://shopbvmjets.com/zencart/index...tkgb562ggip1q2
<br type="_moz" /></a>Just cross my fingers that the O-rings like this BVM lube.......

smchale 04-23-2012 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, my Hunter arrvied today! Took a total of 49 minutes from cutting the first straps off to having it all unwrapped and loosly assembled. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axoOR-mV8dI

V2PLUS10 04-23-2012 04:34 PM

Sean,

Great video, great music, fantastic airplane! It looks better to me all the time....

Turbine arrive yet?

Randy

k_sonn 04-23-2012 04:38 PM

Nice Sean.  Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow :D

Kirk

smchale 04-23-2012 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: V2PLUS10

Sean,

Great video, great music, fantastic airplane! It looks better to me all the time....

Turbine arrive yet?

Randy
Thanks. Sadly I spent more time on the video than unpacking the plane. :eek:
Turbine is likely still a week or so away.
Overall impression is pretty good. The nose has a cosmetic crack in it that should be easy to correct if I can get some touch up paint. The only other noticable issue at this point is that the left gear door presses against the tip tank, so I'll have to give that some attention.
Mike has posted some really good ideas so I hope he stays about 3 steps ahead of me! :D

modelman992005 04-23-2012 06:26 PM

Wow talk about ARF. That airplane looks great . Looks like you will be flying in no time .

jzuniga 04-23-2012 06:41 PM

Well, my Hunter arrvied today! Took a total of 49 minutes from cutting the first straps off to having it all unwrapped and loosly assembled. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axoOR-mV8dI

Looks awesome Sean! BTW, mine had the same crack in the nose cone area, I think due to the packing job, the nose retainer in the carton was too tight and I think it made it get a small crack in shipping... oh well, should be easy to fix ;-)

Z

Dave Wilshere 04-23-2012 10:21 PM

We expect the European kits end of this week, beginning of next. Should be an airforce of Hunters again soon ;-)

Dw

TimWatson 04-23-2012 10:53 PM

Great little video. Sort of cheered me up on a grey old day

Thanks

Bob_B 04-24-2012 06:43 AM

NICE Sean NICE!!!

hooker53 04-24-2012 02:30 PM

Hey Sean, will trade you a more then complete BVM T-33 kit for that Hunter? Ha. Ha. No really, very nice Hunter man and good luck with it. Roy.

Ron101 04-24-2012 03:17 PM

Funny vid Sean :D
looks great.... talk about pre fab, that's a whole new level

very nice

k_sonn 04-24-2012 03:45 PM

Hunter arrived this afternoon.  Gonna upack it tonight :D

Kirk

smchale 04-24-2012 03:53 PM

ORIGINAL: k_sonn