RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Hawker Hunter 1/6th scale ARF from Flying Legends (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10952674-hawker-hunter-1-6th-scale-arf-flying-legends.html)

smchale 12-01-2012 07:51 PM

RE: Hawker Hunter 1/6th scale ARF from Flying Legends

ORIGINAL: Jeremy_D

So while I'm waiting for RCU to sort itself out I'll keep going.

As I can't do much more on the ailerons until the arms arrived I decided to to fit the external drop tanks, as noted by others in here one of my tanks also fouls agains the gear door. Doesn't seem to be to much pressure but I will monitor it once I start flying with them on. Any once got a fix for this?

I had that issue, mine is on the left. I shimmed the inside of the pylon (I'm guessing 1/16") by using some ply between the pylon and the wing. It tilts the pylon ever so slightly that its not noticeable but does give enough clearance that the gear comes down and locks.

You can see it in this photo. The shim is about 1/4" wide. Until I see a better solution that's my fix.

....or when RCU works ill post the photo.....[:@]

Bloory 12-02-2012 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hunter

skywarrior 12-02-2012 11:04 AM

Hey thats a neat installation !

Very nice and all tucked away looking good.

Well done

Regards

David

Jeremy_D 12-02-2012 12:00 PM

Looks great!! Love the extra markings over it as well.

Jamie C 12-02-2012 02:56 PM

Can someone please give me a few pointers on getting the main gear doors to fit? I have been adjusting the 'toe in' (only wanting a small amount) as they come with 'toe out' but i am having problems getting the bottom door to sit down flush with the bottom of the wing, despite taking material off the inside of the door and trying to warm the door to mould it to shape. The wheel is hitting the roof of the wheel well and cannot go in any further, who else has come across this problem and what have you done to get around it?

Jeremy_D 12-03-2012 12:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally able to upload some photos!! Here are the flaps and external tank thats hitting the door and the wheel mods.

Jeremy_D 12-03-2012 12:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The pic of the brake hub was with the new bushes and the original nylon washer. See how it sits up, with the new washer it now sits flush and is all bolted back together and working well :)

Jeremy_D 12-03-2012 01:03 AM

I have all the bits for the ailerons on the way so I'll post up some pics later in the week once they are done. Then I just have to run the ext leads and airline and the wings are done and it's onto the fuse.

IB 12-03-2012 06:10 AM

The external tank on this model is in the incorrect postion, it should be in line with the aileron / wing gap. This why people are having these issues and I'm not going to mention the incorrect position of the flaps or the noseleg :eek:

Ian B

rcjets_63 12-03-2012 10:10 AM

Has anyone managed to remove the flaps? I can unscrew the wires for the aileron hinges but the flap wire hinges just spin without result. It looks like there is a plastic guide tube for the wire but I'm not sure if there is some form of nut buried in the wing that has come loose.

Regards,

Jim

Jeremy_D 12-03-2012 11:37 AM

Hi Jim,

I was wondering about this myself. I worked out that the flap rod does not screw in to anything, just get some needle nose pliers and carefully grip the gold coloured part and pull and it will slide out. It is perfectly safe like this as it is quite tight once pushed in and when the wing is against the fuse it cannot come out.

smchale 12-03-2012 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: rcjets_63

Has anyone managed to remove the flaps? I can unscrew the wires for the aileron hinges but the flap wire hinges just spin without result. It looks like there is a plastic guide tube for the wire but I'm not sure if there is some form of nut buried in the wing that has come loose.

Regards,

Jim
On mine there wasn't any sort of threaded nut in the flap wire. There was on the aileron. They came off easy. My flap wire just spun as yours does. I cut into the TE to investigate as I thought it was stripped or the blind nut was lose but there wasn't anything in there. Just pull the wire out. My assumption is the the wing root on the fuse prevents it from sliding out.

I removed my flaps so I could add some detail and paint them. My RCJI article showed pics. Let me know if you wish me to post them.

rcjets_63 12-03-2012 06:11 PM

Thanks Sean & Jeremy, it took over 50 pounds of force to pull them out and the 2" long plastic tube between the first hinge and the wing root came with them, but I got them out. The plastic tubes went right back in. After grinding a point on the hinge wires, they went back in too.

A scale internal flap linkage looks quite possible. I found a way to do an internal linkage on the rudder which will really improve the look of the model. I'm now experimenting with an internal linkage for the elevators. It looks like surgery will be required as the rear fin spar will likely have to be relocated but at least it will get rid of the unsightly external linkages.

Regards,

Jim

smchale 12-03-2012 06:50 PM

Jim,
Sounds like some great mods. Will be interested to see more as you progress.

rcjets_63 12-03-2012 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: smchale

Jim,
Sounds like some great mods. Will be interested to see more as you progress.

Thanks, I'll post some photos when I have the setup complete. In the mean time, here's a couple of photos of the notch in the outboard rear corner of the flap that gives clearance for the tank.

Jim

CJ2002 12-04-2012 04:24 AM

That's looking real good Ollie! Why don't you bring it...and drag the old man along...to the Xmas Classic Jets?!

Cheers,

Dick

Bloory 12-07-2012 02:55 AM

unfortunately Dick its Not mine i have just finished it for someone which is a shame cus id love to have one :((

Ollie Bloor

skywarrior 12-07-2012 08:18 AM

Hi
very neat as I said and am interetsed to know what the grey speckle paint is.
Is it a textured metal finish from a spray can or ?

Regards

David

Jeremy_D 12-08-2012 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I would post a quick build update. Having a dose of Man flu at the moment has got me a permanent ban from the garage by my wife so not much has been done.

I did manage to find some alloy servo arms by Seacraft that sit over the spline which means I will not need to open up the hatch slots, the downside is my travel on the ailerons is reduced some what and I have had to use ball links on both ends but everything feels solid.

I have hysoled around the servo boxes as others have done on here and I have some alloy 90deg servo mounts coming to replace the plastic ones in the kit. The only reason I'm doing this is the plastic ones have a little flex in them which I don't want on my flaps or ailerons. Once these are in all extension leads will be run as well as the air line and the main LG re installed. I then just have to shim one of the drop tank mounts and the wings are complete.

rcjets_63 12-09-2012 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't like the look of the external linkages so I've been busy in the shop developing internal linkages. First up was the flaps since they are the easiest.

The servo mounting box was first cut away which was easy since there really wasn't any glue holding it to the wing skin. I used a chisel to slice the light ply away one layer at a time and only had to grind the box away in a couple of places where it mates with the wing ribs. A piece of 1/8" Lite ply was glued between the top and bottom wingskins at the forward and aft sides of the servo cutout. I used 0-Flex aluminum servo mounts from Jet Model Products to mount a 8711 servo to maple blocks cut to size and Hysoled them to the shear webs and wingskin such that there was a 1/8" gap between the servo and the wingskin.

The flap is modified by cutting the slot for the control arm completely through the flap. The stock control arm is trimmed per the photo and Hysoled to the inside of the flap. The hole in the control arm is 1/2" above the inside surface of the flap and 1/2" forward of the forward edge of the flap. A 3/4" long by 1/4" wide slot is made in the flap cutout to allow the control horn to extend inside the wing (it's 1/4" wide to allow the linkage to be inserted through the slot. A smaller slot is made in the rear spar against the upper wingskin.

The flap pushrod is made from a Dubro EZ Adjust Ball Link 4-40 (DUB-259), a piece of 4-40 all thread (about 2" long), and a Sullivan 4-40 clevis. A Hanger 9 metal servo arm is is aligned on the servo such that the arm is in-line with the pushrod when the flaps are in the landing position. I chose the EZ Adjust Ball link because, by removing the small screw, you can easily pop the plastic portion off the ball to adjust the length of the pushrod. Be sure to put the screw back in when you are done.

Here are some pics....

Note: Given the opportunity to do this again, I'd leave a 3/16" or 1/4" gap between the servo and the inside surface of the upper skin. This will allow you to use a slightly longer servo arm (and a bit less throw - I need about +/- 125% to get the flap deflection recommended in the instructions) but will make the servo mounts just underflush with the bottom wingskin and will thus require using countersunk screws to hold the servo mounts to the maple blocks.

Regards,

Jim

rcjets_63 12-09-2012 09:30 PM

Double post :-(

Bloory 12-10-2012 07:26 AM

Hi there David

The speckled paint is sold in B&Q and they have a wide range of colours and textures ..

Ollie Bloor

rcjets_63 12-11-2012 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another evening of fun in the shop; this time it was figuring out an internal linkage for the elevators.

Basically, it's a torque tube style linkage but there is a lot going on in a small region so it's a snug fit. The live hinges were first cut to free the elevators from the H-stab. Next, I cut away about 2mm from the front of the elevator upper and lower skins. Three Robart Hi-Point hinges are installed in each elevator, so the shear web at the front of the elevator and the back of the H-stab was locally cut away so that a 3/4" wide balsa block could be inserted to support the hinges. After drilling holes for the hinges, they were Hysoled in place such that the hinge point was 2mm forward of the front edge of the elevators (thus maintaining the original hinge line).

I used the elevator torque tubes from an original composite Bandit (since I had them on-hand) but they could also be made using a Dubro Heavy Duty EZ Adjust Strip Aileron Horn Set (DUB558). Balsa strips were glued to the leading edge of the elevator between the hinges and sanded to shape. A strip of 1/64 ply was glued to the bottom of the H-stab to replace the lower wing skin cut away at the factory for the live hinge.

A hole for one DS3421 servo was cut in the lower center of the H-stab (the other servo and linkage will be installed on the top side of the H-stab). A couple of plywood shear webs were inserted through the cutout and glued into place along with plywood strips to receive the servo mounting screws. The linkage was made using a Dubro HD servo arm, a Hanger 9 titanium Pro-Link, and a Dubro 4-40 EZ Adjust Ball link.

The mounting area for the stab was locally cut away to make room for the servo and linkage. The tough part was cutting away one side of the aluminum receiver for the fin rear spar. It had to be cut away to a depth of 5/8" below the stab seat. The vertical cut was made using a large cutoff wheel and the horizontal cut was made with a very small worn down wheel.

A plywood gusset was added to support the plywood plate which receives the H-stab rear bolt and another couple of gussets were added to support the side of the lower portion of the fin (since it lost some strength when the cutout was made in the H-stab mounting area.

The servo covers can now be glued in place and glassed over. This will also reinforce the lower skin of the stab and replace any strength lost by cutting the hole for the servo.

Here are the photos.....I think it looks a lot nicer without the external linkages and is well worth a few evenings of work.

Regards,

Jim

Jeremy_D 12-17-2012 12:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay I'm finally allowed back in the garage after a week of bed rest and have started on the fuel tank mounting.

My fuel tank install differs from everyones in here but hopefully it will make sense. I was having a lot of trouble getting the tanks to fit up the sides, even with Colin's mounting set which is excellent I could not get one tank to sit without fouling the gear door hinges on the inside. In my frustration while I was mucking around with location I slid what I though was the correct tank for the right side up into position when it located along the bottom of the fuse and up half way of the side of the fuse. I also realised it was the tank for the left hand side and it fitted perfectly without fouling the door hinges, also kept the tanks out of the way of the hatch and allowed the ducting to be easily slid into place.

To cut a long story short, both tanks fitted perfectly in this configuration and so have been mounted like this with alloy mounts. Also with a portion of the front tank visible through the front former I will add on a festo plug on this side and I'll use the bung area as a breather plug.

Pics below show the tanks mounted with everything tack zapped in place. I will be hysoling everything and adding my plugs etc over the next couple of days when my bits arrive. I should also note that I lifted the tanks a mm above the floor and added some velcro underneath to stop the rubbing of the glass fuse and tanks against each other.

jdrd 12-17-2012 01:14 PM

Could you tell me the diameter of the main wheels on this jet? Nice looking wheels and am considering them for use on a project.

Thanks,
Joe Grice