RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   ULTRA LIGHTNING AND TAMS PIPE (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10981887-ultra-lightning-tams-pipe.html)

PaulD 02-29-2012 01:18 PM

ULTRA LIGHTNING AND TAMS PIPE

So as not to "hijack" the Ultra Flash thread but I had the same question.

I am about to start the build on my Ultra Lightning and have read lots about guys who say you've gotta have a P200 in it.

I have a IQ Hammer 170+ which puts out 38 lbs in a 160 size case and intend to run this engine.

So to make up for the power difference, I was planning to do a "minimalist" build. IE, no cockpit, just smoked canopy, no smoke system, no bling/bling with extra trays, fancy sequencers, powerboxes, etc.

What I will do is keep installation crap to a minimum, run dual A123's thru sepparate switches and an orbit power jack on the 6014 receiver.

I was also thinking about a TAMs pipe and a CF wing tube.

Does anyone have any experience on the weight savings of the tams pipe?

Anybody ever managed to source and use a 40mm CF wing tube on a lightning or Ultra?

PaulD

Rob Howarth 02-29-2012 01:41 PM

RE: ULTRA LIGHTNING AND TAMS PIPE

Hi Paul,

The Tam pipe for the UL is 7oz lighter than the standard CARF unit. I had one and the quality was very good.

In terms of wing tubes I looked everywhere here in the UK without much luck. I'm not too sure that whatever the weight saving is over the standard CARF tube will be that much. Personally I'd stick with the CARF tube.

Your UL will go well with that turbine. The UL has a fair wing area and slow speed flight/stability is very good. Without all the fancy add ons I will be surprised if you come out over 36lbs dry.

Cheers,
Rob

pfact 02-29-2012 04:00 PM

PaulD

I built an UL for my son pretty much as you describe but with a P200 - we took a minimalist approach to reduce potential failure points. The only unnecessary weight are a small gyro and LiMN batteries instead of LiPO.

Graphtech sells 50mm x 1350mm composite tubes which weigh 16.5oz before cutting htem down to fit.

The tams pipe is notably lighter but I had trouble getting one that was the proper length, after the second try I threw in the towel and trimmed down the fiberglass tail cone by about 10mm.

Our UL weighs 33 pounds, 2 Oz - it really screams with a P200.

Phil

JoeEagle 02-29-2012 04:06 PM

Hey PaulD. my TAMS pipe fit just fine in the Classic Lightning body-dont know the differnce in the UL for length.

i have a CARF Lightning i will let go cheap if you or someone else needs one!!

don't know the weight yet-but i am really interested in finding out and will post with some install pics soon.

i am also only running a 160SX. i know it will not have a huge vertical and i may swap for a P180RX if i dont like it, but my style (if you can call it that) is not for a screamer-hence the P100 on the UltraFlash.

but, with the 160 or your 170, no need for that extra 2.1L fuel tank either.

Joe

quist 02-29-2012 07:14 PM

The Tube is 40mm not 50mm. Mine came from aeroworks.

PaulD 03-01-2012 07:49 AM

AFAIK - THe Classic and Ultra bodies are the same - like the Flash, just the wings and stabs changed to update the design.

Quist - I assume then you have flown yours with the Aeroworks tube with no issues?

PaulD

dubd 03-01-2012 07:57 AM

I read that there are some subtle differences in the fuse... larger inlets on the Ultra for instance.

quist 03-01-2012 10:06 AM

No problems until the mid air, uhhhhhh.

ORIGINAL: PaulD

AFAIK - THe Classic and Ultra bodies are the same - like the Flash, just the wings and stabs changed to update the design.

Quist - I assume then you have flown yours with the Aeroworks tube with no issues?

PaulD

John Redman 03-01-2012 08:26 PM

In talking to Ray Labonte, he said the Ultra Lightening has larger intakes to help the bigger motors get more air.

Checking the CARF website states the intakes on the Ultra fuse have 20% more area for the larger motors.

PaulD 03-02-2012 08:04 AM

Ooooooooooohhhhhhh....

Sorry 'bout that. [:@]

PaulD

ORIGINAL: quist

No problems until the mid air, uhhhhhh.

ORIGINAL: PaulD

PaulD

PaulD 03-02-2012 08:06 AM

ORIGINAL: John Redman

In talking to Ray Labonte, he said the Ultra Lightening has larger intakes to help the bigger motors get more air.

Checking the CARF website states the intakes on the Ultra fuse have 20% more area for the larger motors.
Huh! thanks guys, hadn't heard that. Have only brieftly seen a Classic once so not sure I would have noticed the difference.

PaulD

JoeEagle 03-02-2012 11:09 AM

My apologies for not putting the word "PIPE" in my post.

to clarify, I have a stock CARF Lightning PIPE that I will let go cheap!!!

Not the plane. stupid me.

No JR, BJ and Ozie...not selling it...just wanna fly it!!

and yes Oz, BJ has labeled me "the complicator" and it fits. good thing my day job lets me get down in the weeds.

Joe

sc0tt 03-02-2012 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the inlet difference for those wanting to see it. (pics are not 100% scale to each other, but close enough for a general idea) My Ultra's running a P180 and you can hear theairlfow thru those huge inlets on spool up. I don't recall hearing it on my old Classic with P160.

ricardinho 03-30-2012 04:03 PM

THE ULTRA FLYS GOOD FROM 160 ON UP.. I AM MAIDENING MINE ON THIS SUNDAY.. TAMS PIPE JETCAT 180RX... SHOULD BE AWESOME...

ricardinho 03-30-2012 04:06 PM

THE ULTRA LIGHTNING IS 5 INCHS LONGER..102 CLASSIC. 107 ULTRA...

JoeEagle 04-07-2012 01:57 PM

how was the maiden??

ricardinho 03-18-2013 02:40 AM

i just purchased an ultra lightning in the custo navy scxheme.. has anybody measured there plane.. it says its 107 inchs..i measure mine from tip to tip its 102..could someone measure theres to see what theres reads...:)

gtoro26 03-18-2013 06:09 AM

i did mammoth set up with stock pipe
cg is perfect and it lands soft and slow

good luck