RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Bandit ARF without hopper tank (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10998225-bandit-arf-without-hopper-tank.html)

dubd 03-13-2012 05:07 AM

Bandit ARF without hopper tank

I have a Bandit ARF with a P-120SE set up without the hopper tank. Any ideas on the flight time I can expect? How critical is the hopper tank?

Andrew Bird 03-13-2012 06:28 AM

RE: Bandit ARF without hopper tank

Dantley - Are you having a quest to own every jet ever made;)

I suspect 6 minutes is a good starting point. I could fly mine with both P100 and P80 for 9 minutes of a variety of power settings with and still land with the hopper full. If you stay WOT, maybe just start off with 5 and see how capacity looks......

Greg Wright 03-13-2012 06:34 AM

That's all going to depend on how you fly. If you are a throw the hammer down kind of guy you could expect to get maybe 5 minutes but if you use your throttle accordingly you might get 7 minutes. I have a p80SE in mine with the large hopper tank set-up and i can get a full 10 minutes at full throttle and still have the hopper tank almost full. If i manage the throttle accordingly i could probably get 13 minutes comfortably.

dubd 03-13-2012 08:42 AM

Andrew, in a word... yes, but only because my fleet was wiped out.

My BARF doesn't have the hopper tank. Do you guys feel it's critical to have?

indubitably 03-13-2012 08:48 AM

My Bandit Arf does not have a hopper tank. Might add one for smoke soon. I believe i was getting 6 mins. I now have a 100RX and get 8mins with mainly full throttls
John

Andrew Bird 03-13-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: dubd

Sorry to hear that - I guess it means you get to go on a best of the best toy hunt though.

dubd 03-13-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: indubitably

My Bandit Arf does not have a hopper tank. Might add one for smoke soon. I believe i was getting 6 mins. I now have a 100RX and get 8mins with mainly full throttls
John
John, what was powering your BARF before the 100rx?

dubd 03-13-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Bird

Quote:

Sorry to hear that - I guess it means you get to go on a best of the best toy hunt though.
Trying to make lemonade from a ***** load of lemons.

Kevin_W 03-13-2012 09:57 AM

I have a Bandit ARF powered by a P-120. I have my timer set for 8 1/2 minutes and fly mostly at around 3/4 to full throttle. The center tank is usually still full, or just beginning to drain when I land. I am seriously considering replacing it with a much smaller tank just to get rid of the extra weight.

rcand 03-13-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

I have a Bandit ARF with a P-120SE set up without the hopper tank. Any ideas on the flight time I can expect? How critical is the hopper tank?

That depends, how good are you with dead sticks?

Andrew Bird 03-13-2012 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You don't need to use the BVM hopper tank if you want to save a few $$$. You can just find an appropriately sized plastic tank which will work great as well.

dubd 03-13-2012 02:22 PM

Thanks, guys. My BARF is RTF with only the saddles and I need to decide if I want to add the hopper or just fly it. I'm time constrained, so if I have to do any work with this plane it'll be weeks before it gets in the air. I currently have smoke tanks where the saddle tank would go. So in short, I am trying to convince myself that the saddles are good enough. :eek: Sounds like I can comfortably get a 6 minutes flight with mixed throttle use... no?

roger.alli 03-13-2012 02:27 PM

Well, my S Bandit has a Merlin 140 drawing from all three tanks. So far I have only had 8-9 minute flights, but am landing with the mains 1/2 full. I reckon the mains alone would be good for an 8 min flight with an engine of this size..

Rog

jlovitt 03-13-2012 03:30 PM

I have a handful of flights on my new MK II Bandit and I am going to be using the kevlar hopper tank for smoke fluid. Using just the two saddle bvm tanks and the sullivan tank that came with the fuel package from bvm (located between the saddle tanks and below the intake duct), I seem to have plenty of fuel. I have been using a 7 minute timer setting and moderate throttle usage, I have yet to even get into the sullivan tank which is plumbed between the two saddle tanks and the UAT. I have a P120SX in my Bandit.

Jeff Lovitt

dubd 03-13-2012 03:39 PM

Jeff, good to hear! Sounds like I'll have plenty of fuel for a 6/7 minute flight without the Sulivan hopper tank.

topgun24 03-13-2012 04:30 PM

I use a 10 ounce hopper with a P-80SE. If I take it easy, my hopper is still full after 7 minutes. If I let her rip I am deep into the 10 ounce header after 7 minutes. I would be careful with no hopper and 6 to 7 minutes on the P-120 unless you are why off the throttle. I would go shorter time for a couple of flights. Good luck!!

indubitably 03-13-2012 08:53 PM

I used to have a 120 SX in my Bandit before the repair and then i re-fitted it with the 100 RX. A little slower, But a lot lighter, intentionally. Its a lot of fun, and is my favorite with the light setup. Light is in for sure now. Its way out of scale to see an 80 inch plane go by at 250 mph. Out of sight and small turning it around. Its just a perfect plane right now.
John

dubd 03-13-2012 10:33 PM

The 100SX sounds like a great combo for the BARF. Will you have at the Buttonwillow "Spring Fling"?