RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   New CGRCjets super scale A-10 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11046459-new-cgrcjets-super-scale-10-a.html)

cgrcjet 04-17-2012 05:28 PM

New CGRCjets super scale A-10

Ok, here we go again! I have decided to remold my 1/9 scale A-10 warthog kit and add a few bits to it. I will be posting here what i have learned over my past kit, machining, plug making etc. to help those in need of any insite on the process. I have endured much trial and error, as i am self taught. Some may do the process differently and have better suggestions. This is how i do it. Hope it helps.

Chris

cgrcjet 04-17-2012 05:41 PM

RE: New CGRCjets super scale A-10

First off, here are some new additives for ver. 2

Initially i was going to update the same airframe with better detail, but thinking of all the things i can make better, i decided to start from the ground up.

1- 3 piece wing for easier transport
2- decelerons
3- true fowler flaps
4- one piece elevator
5- all panels/panel lines, raised and flush rivets
6- removable front canopy
7- more accurate airframe
8- scale cast struts

If i forgot anything, i will add it here. If anyone has any other great suggestions , i will take that into note as well.

thanks
chris

cgrcjet 04-17-2012 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First set of business on the list was some 3d scanning, with my structured light 3d scanner. I see quite a bit of model makers working off smaller scale hobby models to get there measurments to duplicate it in a larger scale. The model i used was an older monogram version of the a-10 which was the most accurate one i could find but i decided to take a short cut by scanning and bringing it into cad for editing and then to the machine.

Chris

Ron101 04-17-2012 06:13 PM

Wow, your first version is so nice.... good to see you are pushing it even further!

will your new version still be a good candidate for EDF or will you keep the old one around for EDF?

lighter is better fo us e power guys :D

cgrcjet 04-17-2012 06:20 PM

For the second go around, i want to produce the airframe with true accuracy. Something i will never question myself again. Unfortunately there is not one A-10 on the market, being small model or large scale r/c that duplicates the A-10 in every way. With the passion i have for the A-10, i decided to throw out my scanned high density polygon model and pay some good money to have it proffesionaly duplicated for my cad needs. This will also allow for easier editing in the software.

Chris

cgrcjet 04-17-2012 06:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Ron101

Wow, your first version is so nice.... good to see you are pushing it even further!

will your new version still be a good candidate for EDF or will you keep the old one around for EDF?

lighter is better fo us e power guys :D

Hey Ron. Hows things been going?

The new version will be a tad larger, only by 2", but will still make good edf.

I like to challenge myself a bit and in my eyes there is always room for improvments. I was going to do a 1/7 scale but decided to try my new tricks on the 1/9 first. All good fun!

chris

cgrcjet 04-17-2012 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a sneak peak at one of the plugs i am working on and the detail it will have. I have never tried the flush rivets before but they definately go on much faster than the raised. I machined a little jig for these. These flush rivets only taken me a few minutes, where as the raised take a few hours for both sides. The panel lines i have decided to scribe this time instead of using chart tape.

Chris

invertmast 04-17-2012 07:25 PM

Chris,
The vertical fin looks good. One thing i have learned, make sure to over-exaggerate the flush rivets. If not, they will nearly disappear very quickly during the finishing process. Granted, you may have figured this out already :)

cgrcjet 04-17-2012 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Chris,
The vertical fin looks good. One thing i have learned, make sure to over-exaggerate the flush rivets. If not, they will nearly disappear very quickly during the finishing process. Granted, you may have figured this out already :)
Yes. Definately. I thought about that and had a concern, so i applied extra layers of primer to make sure i was able to get a little more depth on them. I am actually using the paint i do my Arfs with as it seems more stable than regular can primer. Works out good as i can lay it thicker or add the reducer to thin it out. On the fiberglass plugs i use duratec high build primer then i will add the final coats of paint. I tried riveting into the vinylester primer and it does not work well.

chris

cgrcjet 04-17-2012 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For alot of the smaller plugs, i have decided to machine them from resin as the surface comes out very nice. I do a stepover of .005 on the cnc router which leaves me just about nothing to sand and ready for primer. Better to let the machine do the dirty work. For the resin, i will machine out a fence that is bolted down to 1" polyethylene and cast the resin in the fence. The resin will not stick to the polyethylene, so when its finished machining, the part can be lifted out, small amount of prep and then primer. Works out better than foam (which would need fiberglassing) or mdf that would need to be sealed. Here is a pic of the one piece elevator being machined.

Chris

tulz161 04-17-2012 08:00 PM

This is fantastic news! And I'm glad you're going to try it on the 1/9 scale. Any thoughts on what size turbine?

Ron101 04-17-2012 10:02 PM

The new version will be a tad larger, only by 2", but will still make good edf.

I like to challenge myself a bit and in my eyes there is always room for improvments. I was going to do a 1/7 scale but decided to try my new tricks on the 1/9 first. All good fun!

chris
Good man, just working, building and flying when I can

I always think about your A-10 and really hope someday I can do one.... I loved watching Tam fly it at California jets

Keep that baby light! do you forsee weight gain with the added details? if so would you consider doing your old version as EDF still?

I'm thinking in the future because my F-18 and P-47 projects have me broke :D

I will follow your build as always... you do amazing work!!!
big fan

cgrcjet 04-18-2012 04:23 AM

ORIGINAL: tulz161

This is fantastic news! And I'm glad you're going to try it on the 1/9 scale. Any thoughts on what size turbine?
Hi tulz

Although most people lean towards edf, most people chose the wren 44 for turbine power.

thanks
chris

cgrcjet 04-18-2012 04:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Ron101

The new version will be a tad larger, only by 2'', but will still make good edf.

chris
Good man, just working, building and flying when I can

I always think about your A-10 and really hope someday I can do one.... I loved watching Tam fly it at California jets

Keep that baby light! do you forsee weight gain with the added details? if so would you consider doing your old version as EDF still?

I'm thinking in the future because my F-18 and P-47 projects have me broke :D

I will follow your build as always... you do amazing work!!!
big fan
Hi Ron

There may be a small amount of weight gain because of the new wing design but i dont see much, plus the airframe is slightly larger. Can always lighten the layup as well. With tj90 setup, i lightened layup and structure and was able to get the weight down to 20 pounds. 5" setup averaged about 27-28 pounds. I think 110mm would be ideal.

thanks
chris

cgrcjet 04-18-2012 06:35 AM

For the larger parts, such as the fuse, engine nacelle, wheel nacelles etc. i will be machining them out of foam and fiberglass them. I have in the past machined the wheel nacelles out of foam then coated the foam with bondo and machined it again to get a hard surface. This works out very well as the bondo eats away the top layer of foam and all thats needed is to re machine it. I have found that this does not work well with deeper parts as the bondo will become thinner on the sides and perfect thickness on the top. I am guessing this is due to the forces of gravity and the way the bondo eats at the foam. This did work out well on the wheel nacelle. I tried this with the fuse and learned the hard way.

The main wing will be built up of ply formers on a jig and filled with expandable foam and finished out. On my last kit, i used my hotwire machine to cut out foam cores to finish out. Its a bit tougher to work with foam and be as precise as the way i am doing it now. The flap and aileron bays will be very accurate and with the way i am doing the new flaps i will need the accuracy for the flaps because they will be riding on 1/4" bearing on an attached piece of machined g10. All the wing bays will be fully enclosed and layed up. The g10 guides will be screwed and glued on the inside of the bay for faster building. Flap bays will have separate enclosures on the top and bottom, like on the real A-10. I am hoping this will make for faster layups with less trimming as well as faster and easier assembly.

Chris

cgrcjet 04-18-2012 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the wing in cad. I am using booleans operation to pull out my structural formers and will be using these to build up my wing plug. These will all be layed out on a jig for accuracy.

Chris

cgrcjet 04-18-2012 07:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the wing structure in the jig. After filling it with expandable foam, i trim off the excess and float it out. Being in the drywall business for the last 16 years, i tried using 5 minute hotmud to get the fill i needed. Worked out very well. I thought about using bondo for the fill but the hotmud was much easier to use and does not smell like stinky polyester. I made sure the ply structure was sealed. I just sealed it with the wood glue i used to assemble the structure. The hotmud has moisture in it and i did not want any chance of it warping the ply. I did this over a period of 2 weeks to allow all moisture to evaporate before glassing. I applied 2 layers of 2.4 oz. glass. For less finish sanding, i used paper towels to dab off the excess resin like you would do on an open mold layup. After cure i continued with duratec high build vinylester primer to smooth out any low or high spots. I used a piece of aluminum angle iron with with 120 grit sandpaper attached to get my flat surfaces. I marked the low areas and only sprayed those spots with each pass of primer.

Chris

markbrown65 04-18-2012 07:16 AM

Chris

Great to see you back.

Dont throw away the old fuselage..................

Best wishes

Mark

cgrcjet 04-18-2012 07:22 AM

ORIGINAL: markbrown65

Chris

Great to see you back.

Dont throw away the old fuselage..................

Best wishes

Mark
Hi Mark
Still have the molds. I will await your readiness. In other words, just let me know when your ready for your new one, lol.

thanks
chris

PTERODACTYL 04-18-2012 08:54 AM

“GULP”! If your plane has a 12 inch average wing cord and weights 25 lbs that would give it a wing loading of over 66 oz per sqft. I have a hard time imaging that on a plane of this size. REALLY?

It sure does look sweet.

McsGuy 04-18-2012 09:03 AM

Hi Chris

It was good to talk with you on the phone. I'm looking forward to your new A10. It will be my first effort at serious scale. I'll be using two Stumax SM110-52's for power, they're his older versions but the sound is the most jet like I've encounted.

Thanks for your talented work and committment to quality,

Joe

Jetfan20 04-18-2012 09:36 AM

I'm in Chris...Put me down for one...

cgrcjet 04-18-2012 10:27 AM

Hi Joe
No problem. The 110's will be great in this airframe. I look forward to building you one.

Ty
I look forward to building you another one as well. If you get the kit again, it will be much faster to build this time around. You made me wait 8 mths last time and teased me with your maiden. I think we should be able to knock off a month or so on your build. Be easier on shipping now that im only a few hours from you. Sorry i missed you at Florida jets. I was looking forward to meeting you.

thanks
Chris

cgrcjet 04-18-2012 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another thing i will be adding to make things go together more quickly, are pylon profiles on the wing. I always hated measuring out the locations for these. Every little thought will add to time savings while building these. Like i say, if you guys have any other thoughts on design, i will take that into account. I want to make this kit as efficient as possible while still in the design stage.

Chris

PTERODACTYL 04-19-2012 12:03 AM

I would like to see you make it “lighter.” I live at 7200 feet above sea level. A RC plane with a 6 foot wing span, a 12 inch wing cord at a weight of 25 lbs has a wing loading of 66 ozs per square foot, “that’s over four pounds per square foot”. I’m afraid to say this but it would need around 80+ mph to get off the ground and 60 mph to land. I build heavy too but I would shoot for 13lbs ready to fly [electric] minus the bombs and rockets and I would pull my hair out trying to keep it under 15lbs. This would slow it down for landing, shorten its take off run and give it much more vertical performance with a wider flight envelope.

At fifteen pounds with a 12 inch cord and six foot wing span the wing loading would be 40 ozs per sqft.

“Much better.”[8D]