RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   BVM Rafale - flight characteristics (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11103957-bvm-rafale-flight-characteristics.html)

tobba 06-02-2012 12:31 PM

BVM Rafale - flight characteristics

Hi - looking at purchasing a BVM Rafale kit.

Could anyone give me their thoughts on the performance of this model? Obviously 'a little' old school now and not in production any more, but typical fantastic BV quality... maybe a little heavier than the other jets we're all now building.

Not a huge amount of info re this model online. Thanks in advance.

CraigG 06-02-2012 01:50 PM

RE: BVM Rafale - flight characteristics

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: tobba

Hi - looking at purchasing a BVM Rafale kit.

Could anyone give me their thoughts on the performance of this model? Obviously 'a little' old school now and not in production any more, but typical fantastic BV quality... maybe a little heavier than the other jets we're all now building.

Not a huge amount of info re this model online. Thanks in advance.

Let me put it this way; I took my BVM Rafale to Top Gun in 2005 with a total of 7 flights. Ended up winning the Pro-Am class which is basically a flying competition. Great flying jet. Particularly clean in the roll axis. Flies best with a gyro on the rudder and possibly even the ailerons to damp out a subtle dutch roll tendency.

I fly mine with a single AMT-450 and it's plenty of power for all phases of flight, including super-slow high-alpha. I don't think you would be dissapointed.

Craig

tobba 06-03-2012 12:29 AM

Thanks Craig. Awesome accolades.

I'm choosing between the Rafale and the BVM F4. Quite different subjects obviously.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards Craig

DelGatoGrande 06-03-2012 01:58 AM

...on the other hand same scale with rivets everywhere is the AD Rafale

http://rwww.adjets.com/

my2c

CraigG 06-03-2012 03:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Thanks Craig. Awesome accolades.

I'm choosing between the Rafale and the BVM F4. Quite different subjects obviously.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards Craig
Well, I also have a BVM F-4. Another great flying jet but more in the "heavy metal" catgegory. Not quite so clean in roll and definately requires power management on approach. But....it's a classic jet and one of my all time favorites.

FYI, both these jets require something called "building" and "painting" but the instructions/plans are superb and you end up with model vastly superior to any ARF on the market.

Craig

yeahbaby 06-03-2012 07:28 AM

it's a great jet amigo and at or near the top of the class in prefabrication.

the same guys who make the Ultra Bandit make this jet and the level of prefabrication is spectacular.

high alpha / low speed or low alpha and blistering speed you can't go wrong. it has an expansive flight envelope, it's loaded with fuel....has the space and carrying capability to carry plenty of smoke fluid also.

I flew mine with the AT450 and pix are on BV's website.

good luck with your decision.

cheers

..also if you decide to purchase the airplane and want a set of wing bags for the wing, tail and canards in addition to missle tube holders I still have mine.

tobba 06-03-2012 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Craig - thanks, love your machines.

Its all about the build for me - not interested in ARF's. I've done a few BVM models and in the middle of a Tomahawk Hawk at the moment.

See my Hawk at: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93...11/key_/tm.htm

A shot of my BV Mig - sport scale but great fun building this one.

Thanks for the info, The Rafale seems maybe more appealing purely for the more controllable landing setup.

Regards Craig

Jack Diaz 06-03-2012 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tobba, no doubt the BVM Rafale have been amongst my most rewarding jets.
I still have my original one (first kit out of production), and often fly my camo one (fantasy scheme).
Building them is very easy due to the quality and precision of the kit.

I fly them with a couple of Jetcat 160. I can transition from very high alpha to accelerating verticals easily ... awesome.
Speeds of 250 MPH without diving (it is not prohibited in Venezuela .. LOL).
I know that twins are complicated, but I enjoy complicated models :D

Landing is easy, but to be honest, Craig makes them look easier that what they really are !!!!

Craig: I cannot forget your flights with the Rafale at Top Gun. They were just unbelievable. I have always thought that the Rafale is the plane that you fly the best.

Summarizing: awesome and enjoyable model.
Let me know if I can be of any help with your project.

Jack

Kelly Rohrbach 06-03-2012 02:25 PM

Hey Craig - thanks, love your machines.

Its all about the build for me - not interested in ARF's. I've done a few BVM models and in the middle of a Tomahawk Hawk at the moment.

See my Hawk at: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93...11/key_/tm.htm

A shot of my BV Mig - sport scale but great fun building this one.

Thanks for the info, The Rafale seems maybe more appealing purely for the more controllable landing setup.

Regards Craig
If you are looking for a build you could not go wrong with either jet or any BVM kit for that matter. I'm working on three BVM F4s right now and have seen the construction of a Rafale. The BVM F100 is also an awesome jet to build having done three of those, and its success at the competition level not to mention at the field on any given Sunday make it a winner too.
Great to see interest in doing a full on build!!!!!

Greg Wright 06-03-2012 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I to have built a few of the BVM jets and if you are really looking for the Quality and the best and most reliable jets out there you can't go wrong with any of the BVM kits. I have not ownsed a Rafale i do have an F-100 and the 80" F-86 that i have built and when i get the chance i would like to get an F-4. This is my example of the F-100 that i built and finished last year and i love it.

CraigG 06-03-2012 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Jack Diaz

Landing is easy, but to be honest, Craig makes them look easier that what they really are !!!!

Craig: I cannot forget your flights with the Rafale at Top Gun. They were just unbelievable. I have always thought that the Rafale is the plane that you fly the best.

Jack
Thanks for the kind words Jack. I still remember the great advise and encouragement you gave me when I built and first flew my Rafale. It really helped.

I always thought this jet would become popular when BV came out with the single engine version and people saw how well it flew. Unfortunately, ARF's have taken over and there are not that many builders left.

Craig

pbusa1400 06-03-2012 06:33 PM

I just picked up one of these Rafaels. This will be the second one I have owned. They just fly incredible.
This one will be Twin Jet Central cheetah power.. :D;)

Pablo Fernández

JackD 06-03-2012 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: pbusa1400

I just picked up one of these Rafaels. This will be the second one I have owned. They just fly incredible.
This one will be Twin Jet Central cheetah power.. :D;)

Pablo Fernández
Pablo, I'm talking my dad into sending his to california for the exact same conversion... bring yours to BITW, two 65 pounds thrust rafales in formation!!! that will be fun

pbusa1400 06-03-2012 07:45 PM

That would be awesome!!! I need to build a transport crate for it.

JackD 06-03-2012 07:50 PM

I bet you someone is driving from fl

Franco will set that up for you if you want... In fact, let me ask him to send my dad's plane, and he can make 2 crates at once.... let's talk

pbusa1400 06-03-2012 07:50 PM

I'm doing dual gyros for the ailerons(JR 370a). My last one had none. The cheetahs should keep the wing loading low. My last one flew great on twin Ram 1000's

pbusa1400 06-03-2012 07:52 PM

Perfect!!!

Jack Diaz 06-03-2012 08:04 PM

Pablo, the Rafale doesn't need gyro in the ailerons.
It does need it on the rudder (with a lot of gain).

Is it my imagination, or am I perceiving some kind of conspiracy between you and Gerardo to steal my plane? :D:D

Jack

pbusa1400 06-03-2012 08:06 PM

Haha just borrowing. ;)

JackD 06-03-2012 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Jack Diaz

Pablo, the Rafale doesn't need gyro in the ailerons.
It does need it on the rudder (with a lot of gain).

Is it my imagination, or am I perceiving some kind of conspiracy between you and Gerardo to steal my plane? :D:D

Jack
It is not a conspiracy... is completely out in the open!!!! and you will be here, Ill let you fly it haha

ddennison 06-03-2012 08:24 PM

Great to see this thread, I have always been interested in this too. Love the gear on this thing...

I like twins too but has anyone got one flying with a 48-52 lb single? I am enjoying my 200sx in the UB and am looking for a new project for this Fall....

Craig, sounds like yours was great as a single?

I was always a little unsure about the canard settings, is that pretty straightforward now?

Thanks to everyone who is adding to this thread.
Dave

JackD 06-03-2012 09:25 PM

It will be great with a single...much simpler

But the twin is just INSANE :D

CraigG 06-04-2012 03:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dave,

I have a single AMT-450 in my Rafale putting out maybe 42-43lbs. It would be awsome with something in the 50lb range. As you can see from this pic, there is tons of room for a single and easy access to the gear. As you mention, the gear is a work of art and nearly bullet proof.

The canards are easy to set up...just run them as a mix to the elevator function. They seem to be much less critical in centering and throw than the canards on my Eurosport. FYI, the delta wing has inboard "elevators" and outboard "ailerons". I run them in tandem on each wing as "elvons" which seem to give better high alpha performance.

ORIGINAL: ddennison

Great to see this thread, I have always been interested in this too. Love the gear on this thing...

I like twins too but has anyone got one flying with a 48-52 lb single? I am enjoying my 200sx in the UB and am looking for a new project for this Fall....

I was always a little unsure about the canard settings, is that pretty straightforward now?

Dave

c_makhija 06-04-2012 05:58 AM

ORIGINAL: CraigG

Dave,

I have a single AMT-450 in my Rafale putting out maybe 42-43lbs. It would be awsome with something in the 50lb range. As you can see from this pic, there is tons of room for a single and easy access to the gear. As you mention, the gear is a work of art and nearly bullet proof.

The canards are easy to set up...just run them as a mix to the elevator function. They seem to be much less critical in centering and throw than the canards on my Eurosport. FYI, the delta wing has inboard ''elevators'' and outboard ''ailerons''. I run them in tandem on each wing as ''elvons'' which seem to give better high alpha performance.

ORIGINAL: ddennison

Dave

Hi Graig,

I just bought the Rafale from a friend of mine in the U.S. This one is almost built by Joe Grice a while ago. In fact the fuse and some other parts are still in the U.S. which i need to get down to India. Which do you thing would be the right engine for the single setup, I have a choice between the AMT NL oly or the jetcentral Mammoth. Behotec too is out with a 220N turbine in a 160 size can, could be a light setup as i have heard she has a heavy wing loading. Would need your help on the elevon setup once i get down on working on the rafale.

Thanks
Chatty.

CraigG 06-04-2012 06:37 AM

ORIGINAL: c_makhija

Hi Graig,

I just bought the Rafale from a friend of mine in the U.S. This one is almost built by Joe Grice a while ago. In fact the fuse and some other parts are still in the U.S. which i need to get down to India. Which do you thing would be the right engine for the single setup, I have a choice between the AMT NL oly or the jetcentral Mammoth. Behotec too is out with a 220N turbine in a 160 size can, could be a light setup as i have heard she has a heavy wing loading. Would need your help on the elevon setup once i get down on working on the rafale.

Thanks
Chatty.
Hello Chatty,

Anything in the 50lb range would be great in the Rafale. Surprisingly, the "wing" loading is not that heavy on this jet since a lot of lift is produced by the fuselage. It will do amazing slow flight/high alpha and slows down for landing even without flaps. The aft gear doors act as speed brakes to help slow it down.

If you run the "ailerons" and "elevators" as elvons, it requires quite a few mixes. I will be glad to help with any questions you have.

Craig