RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11128781-jet-legend-viper-build-thread.html)

Jeremy_D 10-09-2012 03:54 AM

RE: JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Hi William,

Looks like a good holiday!! I hope to get mine up again very shortly, Haven't had time recently to do much flying

madmodelman 10-09-2012 03:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
William, you are quite mad!

I've had 24 flights now, unlike you I went the safer route, over the moon!

Regards,

Gary.

Jeremy_D 10-09-2012 03:57 AM

Great photo!! I'm only up to 12 flights on mine so far

keweiliang 10-09-2012 04:31 AM

Gary,
Your photo is very great.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

William

madmodelman 10-09-2012 04:34 AM

Thanks William, not quite as great as your flying though!

steve2972 10-09-2012 05:02 AM

Hi Gary,
I thought your flying was pretty sweet last Saturday;)

Steve

madmodelman 10-09-2012 05:41 AM

Thanks Steve, and thanks for your help keeping an eye open for me.

How's your Reaction coming on?

steve2972 10-09-2012 05:54 AM

I dinged it whilst all the messing about on Saturday trying to sort the crappy ashlock connectors[>:].Its a fair old lump and is awkward to manoever.I`m going to repair tonight/tomorrow and then test fly it with a friend on Saturday at our local club.:)

sidajili 10-09-2012 07:19 AM

William, this is crazy!!!... but then that's the fun of RC... really pushing to the limit and beyond boundaries... no pilot gets to die... pockets only get burned. ha ha..http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif Am surprised the airframe handled that 'kiss-and-go'

essyou35 10-09-2012 11:13 AM

Hello, can someone answer these for me?

I have a Kingtech K80, good match for this jet?
I have a modellbau f-86D with a K80, will the viper jet be faster with the same turbine?
Finally, I fly my f-86D on grass all the tiem with no issues at all, can I expect the same from the viper or will it not do good on grass?
What about the intakes, will they be sucking up all kinds off dead grass and junk?

Thanks!

madmodelman 10-09-2012 12:28 PM

It'll be ok in the air with that engine but may struggle a bit for grass take off.
It will be faster than an F86 when it gets wound up.
The landing gear will handle grass ok.
Get a fod guard.

essyou35 10-10-2012 05:52 AM

Thanks for the info. I am curious why it would struggle on grass? the f-86D I have takes off like a bullet on grass. The wet weight is about 22-23 lbs. Does it have smaller tires or something?

madmodelman 10-10-2012 06:34 AM

No, if you are flying off really smooth short grass you'll have no issues, I'm probably biased on that point as the grass strip I first flew jets on was very rough. :D

kasi122 10-10-2012 07:42 AM

Hi all,

Hi, I have both planes, the F86-D and the viper from jl.
The thing why the F86-D starts easy from gras is, because the position of the main-gear ist behind the cg and will roll much better.
F86-D (Modellbauusa) owners know, tha the planes lifts up the nose very easy and the jl viper doesnt. You need much more power to get the jl viper rolling. I have the cg on the viper 30mm behind the factory setting and with a 9kg thrust turbine i still need about 70 meters to lift off.
The F86-D lifts off after 50 meters.

best regards
Andi

ceffi 10-10-2012 07:51 AM

Hi,

the grass should not be so long. A short cut is okay for using a KingTech 80.

I messured mine last weekend.
With the Merlin 100 max speed 135kts.

CG 35mm behind the original.
Cuted out the airintake and I use an other tank.

3mm down elevator by flaps in landing position (60mm).

Christian

kasi122 10-10-2012 09:03 AM

Hi ceffi,

Ich have the same setup and i use a pahl power turbine with a real thrust of 9,5kg.
Measured max. speed with the futaba gps: 299km/h -> 186miles/h -> 162 kts :D

Andi

essyou35 10-11-2012 06:52 AM

Is there someone that can give me some measurments for the retracts and struts? I have some springair trailling link on my f-86D I am curious if they will fit this or not.

Need to know the retract base dimensions, and how long the struts are.

Jeremy_D 10-13-2012 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another Viper in the Canadian scheme took to the air today. This one had a VT 80 in it and it flew great and looked fantastic in the air.

One quick question, I want to increase the travel / strength in the main struts. I put the air nipple in to pump more air and what I can only assume was shock oil started to come out so I stopped. Has anyone tried to adjust the main struts with air?

Thanks

Jeremy

madmodelman 10-14-2012 12:13 AM

Yep, I had to do mine as it sat on full mains leg deflection when fuelled for the maiden.

Pumped up in 3 second blasts until I got the correct ride height/stiffness. Didn't see any oil leaking though. I have noticed over time that there are signs of some lubrication on the oleo,s so there must have been some oil in them from the factory.

Did you overpressure them and blow the oil out ?

Gary.

Jeremy_D 10-14-2012 12:21 AM

No it came out when I put the nipple on. I might just leave it, it sits lowish on the back but there is still travel for shock absorbing on landings

madmodelman 10-14-2012 12:27 AM

Thats a bit strange as there is a one way valve behind the nipple obviously to keep the air in. You should be ok as long as they don't bottom out too much on landing.

Jeremy_D 10-14-2012 12:32 AM

Just out of interest when you put the nipple in did you do it all the way in? I think that might be my problem, I threaded it all the way in and as I did the last turn, thats when the oil came out, maybe I need to go almost in and the air will push the valve open?

madmodelman 10-14-2012 12:49 AM

Sounds like you opened the valve then, just two or three threads from memory did the trick, if some a little air escapes it won't hurt.

Just use short pulses because if you over inflate it's a wheel apart job!

Jeremy_D 10-14-2012 12:51 AM

Thanks Gary,

I think that's what happened which is why some oil got out. I just tried it screwed in a few turns and gave a few second bursts of air and it feels much better.

Cheers

Jeremy

madmodelman 10-14-2012 10:28 AM

You're welcome, sorry about late reply, been flying! (And watching Felix!)