RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Hobby King turbine! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11137978-hobby-king-turbine.html)

OliverJacob 11-09-2012 04:16 PM

RE: Hobby King turbine!

No, the AMA as an insurance company does not test and certify turbines. The turbine waver is a test for the pilot, mostly done with an EDF.
Still - anybody can buy and own a turbine and fly a jet in certain places.

There will be more people getting into turbines, we will see how reliable they are.
And sure there will be dead sticks and fires, which brand never had any problems?

Biggest problem would be the new and inexperienced users, the first ones at their field with a turbine model.
An irrsponsible user is more of a problem then a faulty turbine

uncleTom 11-09-2012 04:35 PM

Are you new to this?

Vettster 11-09-2012 04:47 PM

Perhaps some of you guys think this engine will be selling for $500. Not even close. Yes it will be less than Kingtech as hinted by Anthony Hand.. But he also suggested that there is no way the 20lber will be selling for less than 1500. That is still a lot of money for someone to invest.

You guys keep talking about all these newbies are now going to be able to enter the Turbine end of the hobby and that they have no experience.

Did EVERYONE here start in this part of the hobby with experience? I know I had no experience. How does once get experience flying turbines if youve never flown one before?

The low cost of the turbine will alow people to enter this end of the hobby?? Are you serious? Whats stopping them right now from buying a used engine?? Thats how I got into it.

Now you guys are saying that the engine could blow apart and kill millions(im exaggerating...but so are you guys) The worst of the storm has already passed. Does Jet Joe ring a bell?? How many people died when their engines failed. Thouse engine were dirt cheap. Did the hobby become banned?

Yes there is a high probability that this is a JetJoe. But obviously it will be greatly modified and brought up to par with other well know companies on the market before they release it. Do you really think that HK wants to gain the same terrible reputation that JJ has acheived. Not very likely.

I just wish HK would stop dinking around and release that damn thing already:)

Take a pill everybody:D

rcjetsaok 11-09-2012 05:41 PM

http://www.boxspringsonline.com/the-...aintenance-101

That's all I have to say about the whole idea !!!

D

Vettster 11-09-2012 06:08 PM

I understand what you mean.. Ill never launch a model rocket again because the Space Shuttle blew up:eek:

rcaircraftnut 11-09-2012 06:19 PM

Holy bent blades Batman!!!!! That thing looks like it was used to shred a car.

OliverJacob 11-09-2012 06:31 PM

...many poeple do not buy used engines and sure no used turbines, which is somewhat understandable.

In our area there is not much of a market for used turbines, you had to drive very far or have them shipped, not knowing how they run. And a newbie would not know what to look for anyways. With a nitro or gas engine being simpler you can see problems a lot easier.

So I am sure they will be more people flying turbines if they'll be a lot cheaper then the ones we can buy now.
But thats my opinion.

A few years ago people warned us about the poor quality of a DLE engine. They are really great. And they cost a lot less then a DA.
So now we see a lot more large scale planes, with prices of gas engines coming down, they became very popular.

There is a lot of talk about flying jets on most fields and the costs is what keeps people from getting started.

I'd expect to see a HKturbine here and there, not everybody will get one....

ira d 11-09-2012 06:52 PM

I think HK has figured out if they make the price low enough it will sell in spite of theirpoor customer service reputation. There are some who post here on RCU
that feel that it's ok for HK to operate the waythey do because of their low prices.

Vettster 11-09-2012 07:31 PM

Funny thing about forums is.. Only people that have had a bad experience post. Good thing! Because if everyone posted their good experiences everyday, there wouldnt be enough room on the internet. I for one have had only one issue with HK in the past 5 years!. One time for what ever reason they changed my mailing address. I entered a ticket and within 2 hrs my problem was resolved. If thats bad service then I dont think anyone could make the HK haters happy.

I have been on RCG for a long time(where the EDF guys hang) I have heard several complaints about damaged planes from shipping.
This is not HK's fault. The blame lies on the shipping companies as they are all gorillas. But in all the cases that I heard of.. once the person contacted HK and POLITELY!! asked for a resolution.. they were given either a replacement part or an entire AC.

I have to say one thing here... Anyone that says the HK turbine will suck because.."I bought a battery and it had a dead cell, so there for their Turbine will suck" is a %@%% ^(&(&(&&*! Your not Seriously comparing a bad servo or burnt out ESC to a Turbine engine! are you people?? If thats the case then I would be more worried about YOU flying at my field than a rooky, cause at least the rooky can tell the difference between a battery etc and a Turbine engine.

The Service networks will be WORLD WIDE. That means you will NOT have to ship it back to HongKong. You might end up shipping it to RTI or some other well known service center, no one knows yet. Just for example.. If HK offers RTI enough money..I doubt that he will turn it down, nor would anyone else that is trying to make a living out of servicing turbine engines.

My prediction is that the HK engine with German parts(as mentioned by Anthony) will work flawlessly. They have to much at stake for it to go wrong.

If I need one at the time and have a plane to put it in..I will gladly be a bata tester.

Justflying1 11-09-2012 07:40 PM

I need more Popcorn http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

Seamus OLeprosy 11-09-2012 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

D

Has there ever been a case of a US maintained airliner crashing and killing people due to poor maintenance or workmanship?

RCJetBazz 11-09-2012 11:21 PM

it's the ratio, you simpleton.

ORIGINAL: Seamus OLeprosy

D

Has there ever been a case of a US maintained airliner crashing and killing people due to poor maintenance or workmanship?

skywagn180 11-10-2012 06:45 AM

Yes,

Several US airline crashes have been caused by maintenance, workmanship and engineering errors. Full scale turbine and turbo fan engines throw blades and eat themselves up more than most realize. Even US brands. Everyone should welcome new cheaper products into the market. Foreign competition lowers prices and forces US sellers to provide us better service and products at a lower price to keep us around. Our government has gone all in on a global market and we need to learn to adapt. Notice I did not say US manufacturers, as they are pretty much extinct in the hobby market. Where do you guys think US name brand products are produced? A cheap turbine is one step in furtherance of our hobby. Everyone who thinks a gas turbine is significantly more dangerous than a large Edf jet has been around too many old crusty Ama guys. These are the same guys that are chasing young people off our flying fields nationwide. I don't know how many know how hard it is to get a turbine waiver through the Ama, but it is ridiculously tedious. In fact the procedure could be impossible in some rural areas without traveling hundreds of miles to meet up with flyers qualified to sign you off. Can't wait to see the first cheap turbine fly at my club field. Hell, maybe it will be mine.

D

Jeremy300 11-10-2012 07:08 AM

D

The picture is real but the description is not. Check snopes.com

causeitflies 11-10-2012 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Jeremy300

D

The picture is real but the description is not. Check snopes.com
Yes, there is a lot of misinformation on that site :eek:

joebahl 11-10-2012 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: skywagn180

Yes,

Several US airline crashes have been caused by maintenance, workmanship and engineering errors. Full scale turbine and turbo fan engines throw blades and eat themselves up more than most realize. Even US brands. Everyone should welcome new cheaper products into the market. Foreign competition lowers prices and forces US sellers to provide us better service and products at a lower price to keep us around. Our government has gone all in on a global market and we need to learn to adapt. Notice I did not say US manufacturers, as they are pretty much extinct in the hobby market. Where do you guys think US name brand products are produced? A cheap turbine is one step in furtherance of our hobby. Everyone who thinks a gas turbine is significantly more dangerous than a large Edf jet has been around too many old crusty Ama guys. These are the same guys that are chasing young people off our flying fields nationwide. I don't know how many know how hard it is to get a turbine waiver through the Ama, but it is ridiculously tedious. In fact the procedure could be impossible in some rural areas without traveling hundreds of miles to meet up with flyers qualified to sign you off. Can't wait to see the first cheap turbine fly at my club field. Hell, maybe it will be mine.

D

I have never seen a edf catch on fire maybe a little smoke from a esc but i have seen a turbine plane catch on fire and as far as old ama members go ,I would not exchange my great 35 years in the ama for anything. joe

Vettster 11-10-2012 01:45 PM

[/quote] I have never seen a edf catch on fire maybe a little smoke from a esc but i have seen a turbine plane catch on fire and as far as old ama members go ,I would not exchange my great 35 years in the ama for anything. joe

[/quote]
I have been flying EDFs for 5 years and tubines for 4 years. In that time I have never seen a turbine catch fire weather in the air or on the ground or even from a crash. But i have seen at least 5 EDFs burst into flames. I had it happen to me once. The ESC burst into flames and the rest of the plane went with it. Glad I was able to crash on the airfield and not in the Corn field

skywagn180 11-11-2012 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: joebahl

ORIGINAL: skywagn180

Yes,

Joe,

The reality is that EDF jets are dangerous and catch fire more often than you think. Often times these fires can cause serious property damage and wildfires. Check Youtube for easy confirmation. Turbine jets are also very prone to fire if crashed or operated incorrectly. Kerosene and Lipo fires do have one thing in common. They are difficult to extinguish. The difference, at least at AMA facilities, is that turbine operators have to go through training and EDF operators do not. The funny thing is that this training is kind of hypocritical considering all electric, large gas or nitro aircraft are dangerous to operate in their own ways. I would argue that, mostly through numbers, there is far more danger to people and clubs from operating conventional prop planes and helicopters. The few flyers that have the means to operate large turbine or EDF aircraft tend to have well above average flying skill and regard for safety. Of course there are always a few bad seeds that can't fly for $#*^, seem to have all the money in the world and could care less about being responible. Personally I like the idea of the AMA regulating turbine operators to an extent, but the checkout process is way out of line. I am very concerned that the AMA will not loosen up on this. Cheap turbines are coming and if we do not find a less flexible method for checking flyers out there will be a problem. What's going to happen is that people are going to be flying turbines in school parking lots and city parks. That could be very dangerous for the well being of our hobby. I suggest that everyone start writing to AMA headquarters begging for an alternative method to check out jet flyers at our clubs. No one should have to drive hundreds of miles to find the right person who can issue a turbine waiver. Every club should have an easy method for certifying their own members to operate a turbine at an AMA facility or event.

On another note...I love old AMA members in general. I HATE the few that come to the field with a hair up their ***** every time. I hope to be an old man at the flying field some day. If I make it there, I assure you I will greet people with ...."Good morning, how are you today. Nice day to fly huh?" rather than.... "I haven't seen you before. Just so you know, you can't fly here without an AMA card."

D

I have never seen a edf catch on fire maybe a little smoke from a esc but i have seen a turbine plane catch on fire and as far as old ama members go ,I would not exchange my great 35 years in the ama for anything. joe

Shaun Evans 11-21-2012 07:39 PM

Hi,

My simple bottom line is that it's one thing to try out an unknown newcomer and withhold judgement until their product is tested and has a record. It's another thing to go with a high-end purchase from a low-end manufacturer with an abysmal reputation for support. I suppose it would make sense to do that if we didn't already have tried, tested low-cost options out there. If a guy doesn't want to spring for the Cadillac brands out there, there are brands like Kingtech with proven performance and reliability PLUS excellent service. Unless that HK turbine is half the price of a Kingtech, I wouldn't dare. Even then, I probably wouldn't dare....

Propworn 11-22-2012 03:31 AM

Seems like all this arguing is a moot point really. Some will buy one they probably have already made up their mind. These will be the beta testers. There are those who will adopt a wait and see attitude and there are those who would never buy from them. Haven’t there been other turbine manufactures that came then went. The market usually levels the playing field your product makes the cut and becomes part of the pecking order or it doesn’t and fades away. I remember the same was said about the cheaper Chinese gas motors and their still here today.

Dennis

Henke Torphammar 06-30-2013 11:20 AM

Today we celebrate the first Anniversary of Bruce not getting the HK turbine to run. Cheers and may the coming years be as good as the first one have been :)

warbirdfanatic 06-30-2013 12:24 PM

All the hype for nothing. No excuses to take that long to get a turbine running! I think HK have probably given up as they don't hold any gear for Turbines and / or large enough jets to hold such!

Vettster 07-03-2013 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Henke Torphammar

Today we celebrate the first Anniversary of Bruce not getting the HK turbine to run. Cheers and may the coming years be as good as the first one have been :)
LOL Yes Sir...

Honestly.. I would have bought one back in the beginning, had it been an all HK engine. But once all things started pointing in the direction that this would be nothing more than another Jet Joe engine with their own FADEC, I said forget it!! I bought a Kingteck k100G and am running it on Diesel and couldn't be happier.

Thanks Bruce for doing such a disgraceful job on reviewing the HK engine;):) You probably saved me the cost of a plane and an engine LOL

Here's a thought to ponder..... FEJ with a JJ engine:D

Henke Torphammar 11-01-2013 01:13 PM

Now he is banned from flying... with the spare time that gives maybe we'll se the engine run soon then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX5Ys4RDDZ0

j.duncker 11-01-2013 04:43 PM

OK Mods hat off.

So this guy Bruce Simpson who reviews modelling stuff in NZ has been banned from flying both by his local council and the NZ CAA.

Any body know why? Bruce seems to hint that it is because he is making money from his reviews and as such is commercial. If that is the reason then it sets a dangerous precedent in my view. What is to stop them applying this rule to manufacturers importers and retailers.

Is there more to this story?