RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Futaba Users, HELP please! (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11138140-futaba-users-help-please.html)

George 06-30-2012 06:43 PM

Futaba Users, HELP please!

In an effort to have Dreamworks "Mobile" offer the best selection of products, Todd and I will be carrying Futaba servos. The problem is, although we fly a Futaba radio system, we have not used Futaba servos up to now, so we do not know what the popular or most used servos are that we should offering. Let us know what you are using and for what applications to better help us determine what we will stock and how many.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

killerG 06-30-2012 06:49 PM

RE: Futaba Users, HELP please!

S9156 is what I have being using on flaps/ailerons/elevators

phjoker 06-30-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: killerG

S9156 is what I have being using on flaps/ailerons/elevators
+1 9156 and 9157

3DHELINUT 06-30-2012 07:39 PM

BLS 351
S9156
S9157

These three are on the top of my list.

And you have the HV models

FenderBean 06-30-2012 07:46 PM

I would really like a place to get SBus servos and even Robbe/Futaba Sbus stuff. For Sbus and large jets the BLS172 HV is nice servo for large elevators at 500oz and the BLS175. Both are HV and they have both these servos in a non SBus version as well but for the non sbus instead of the 175 its the BLS152 and BLS157.
I will be using these 4 servos mainly.

furloughed ual 06-30-2012 07:48 PM

George, make sure you add the S3102 to the list. It's a metal geared mini that's great for valves, brakes, and accessories.

I'll second the 9156 and 9157. It's all I use in my jets on flight controls.

Ryan
Team Futaba.

rcjetsaok 06-30-2012 07:50 PM

A comparison of the Futaba servo #'s to JR servo #'s would be a big help in ya'lls replies... It would help us JR guys get a better understanding of the JR counterparts.. Just a thought.

Danno

furloughed ual 06-30-2012 07:53 PM

9156 = 8611 equivalent
9157 = 8711 equivalent

jzuniga 06-30-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: furloughed ual

9156 = 8611 equivalent
9157 = 8711 equivalent
Not to change the thread, but on the Tower website it says to use nicad batteries only w/ the 9157? Is this true? Any feedback?
Thanks

Z

Jeremy_D 06-30-2012 08:25 PM

S3051HV is a good for small to medium size jets.

Speed: 0.21 sec/60° @ 6.0V
0.19 sec/60° @ 6.6V
0.17 sec/60° @ 7.4V
Torque: 132.0 oz/in (9.5 kg/cm) @ 6.0V
138.9 oz/in (10.0 kg/cm) @ 6.6V
145.8 oz/in (10.5 kg/cm) @ 7.4V

furloughed ual 06-30-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: jzuniga

Quote:

ORIGINAL: furloughed ual

9156 = 8611 equivalent
9157 = 8711 equivalent
Not to change the thread, but on the Tower website it says to use nicad batteries only w/ the 9157? Is this true? Any feedback?
Thanks

Z
No. I believe that's a carryover from an old statement.

jzuniga 06-30-2012 09:30 PM

Thanks FUAL...

Z

George 07-01-2012 04:35 AM

Good info. guys, keep it coming!!

George 07-01-2012 04:38 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

I would really like a place to get SBus servos and even Robbe/Futaba Sbus stuff. For Sbus and large jets the BLS172 HV is nice servo for large elevators at 500oz and the BLS175. Both are HV and they have both these servos in a non SBus version as well but for the non sbus instead of the 175 its the BLS152 and BLS157.
I will be using these 4 servos mainly.
Fender,

We plan on trying to do some SBUS stuff soon, but we have to get "smart" on the system ourselves to be able to provide the service we expect. I don't want to sell you something I know nothing about and can't support properly.

SBUS is the future and you can bet we'll be right there!!;)

rgburrill 07-01-2012 04:45 AM

Think Hitec.

siclick33 07-01-2012 04:50 AM

SBUS is the present. 'Standard' servos are the past.;)

I have used the smaller SBUS servos in my Habu and the tail of my Boomerang (S9071SB and S3171SB). I agree that the 3102 is an excellent servo but it is old technology (as are all the 'standard' digital servos). The S3171SB is almost the same size and weight as the 3102 but is fully programmable and SBUS compatible.

I use Futaba TX/RX but tend to stick to JR servos, however, when I do buy Futaba servos I would prefer to buy SBUS if possible.

George 07-01-2012 04:59 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: siclick33

SBUS is the present. 'Standard' servos are the past.;)

That's what I meant!;):D

George 07-01-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: siclick33

The S3171SB is almost the same size and weight as the 3102 but is fully programmable and SBUS compatible.

Maybe it's my lack of knowledge on the SBUS system, but I initially dismissed the S3171SB because it's only rated at 4.8v when every other SBUS servo is either 4.8v/6.0v or 6.0v/7.4v. I really need to get an SBUS system as soon as I get home and start STUDYING!!

During my research into their servos, Futaba seems to have more than their share of "4.8v only" servos. Just when I think I found a good servo, it turns out to be "4.8v only". I ALMOST consider 4.8v "old technology" with the newer battery chemistries out now.

siclick33 07-01-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:

I ALMOST consider 4.8v "old technology" with the newer battery chemistries out now.
I can't argue with that and I didn't realise that the 3171 was 4.8V only. I still use regulators even with A123[&:]. SBUS won't help with the 4.8V issue as it doesn't do anything to the voltage.

lov2flyrc 07-01-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

Think Hitec.
We already offer Hitec. We are asking for servo model suggestions on Futaba since this will be a new line for us....

FenderBean 07-01-2012 06:58 AM

Sbus is pretty simple, the only real difference in the BLS servos and BLS Sbus is a chip inside. The chip is used to store channel assignment, so when u tell that servo you are elevator channel 2 it will always receive input as channel 2 no matter where u plug it in. Simple concept, u have one wire coming out of the receiver that has all channel data and each individual servo takes the data it needs based on what u told the servo it was.

ww2birds 07-01-2012 08:49 AM

+1 on the servo selections, including the BLS ones .. silky smooth!

I'd love to see Dreamworks carry the Robbe/Futaba Power distribution system (PSS2018) and its accessories ... it's the "dream date" combination of a powerbox or smart-fly function for redundant power and servo line drivers, plus it takes care of a big objection the jet community would have to the S-BUS stuff, the crummy little skinny wires that they offer on the accessories. Several of us have gotten the unit from Emcotec in Germany and it's a beauty. Competitively priced with the powerbox stuff, and other useful functions as well.

I suppose it's a business decision if there would be enough volume to stock it .. and for a large order to do up one plane, the % overhead for the international shipping is not too bad .. but still it would be great to have a local source.

While it's designed for S-BUS .. it might be of interest to the JR/Spektrum tribe that it also works with the JR/Spek satellite RXs. I did not realize that the wires coming out of the JR satellites are essentially the still-serial data stream of the digitized channels, essentially the same as S-BUS. Learned that on the thread about the PSS-2018.

And, FWIW, Dreamworks rocks .. love doing business with you guys!

Dave

Bob_B 07-01-2012 09:27 AM

+1 on the 3102 s perfect for the Habu 32

FenderBean 07-01-2012 09:35 AM

This is the system I want to use in my new jets, been talking ali about ordering some. How has it worked out so far? I personally think its the perfect system for a large jet like f14 that requires 15 servos. If dreamworks had everything I needed in stock I would buy it right now. Hint hint lol
Quote:

ORIGINAL: ww2birds

I'd love to see Dreamworks carry the Robbe/Futaba Power distribution system (PSS2018) and its accessories ... it's the ''dream date'' combination of a powerbox or smart-fly function for redundant power and servo line drivers, plus it takes care of a big objection the jet community would have to the S-BUS stuff, the crummy little skinny wires that they offer on the accessories. Several of us have gotten the unit from Emcotec in Germany and it's a beauty. Competitively priced with the powerbox stuff, and other useful functions as well.

I suppose it's a business decision if there would be enough volume to stock it .. and for a large order to do up one plane, the % overhead for the international shipping is not too bad .. but still it would be great to have a local source.

While it's designed for S-BUS .. it might be of interest to the JR/Spektrum tribe that it also works with the JR/Spek satellite RXs. I did not realize that the wires coming out of the JR satellites are essentially the still-serial data stream of the digitized channels, essentially the same as S-BUS. Learned that on the thread about the PSS-2018.

Dave

Kevin_W 07-01-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ww2birds

I'd love to see Dreamworks carry the Robbe/Futaba Power distribution system (PSS2018) and its accessories ... it's the ''dream date'' combination of a powerbox or smart-fly function for redundant power and servo line drivers, plus it takes care of a big objection the jet community would have to the S-BUS stuff, the crummy little skinny wires that they offer on the accessories. Several of us have gotten the unit from Emcotec in Germany and it's a beauty. Competitively priced with the powerbox stuff, and other useful functions as well.

Dave

I agree!
I just recently bought a 18MZ. I have installed it in my two turbine powered models but I am only using sbus on non-critical channels because I don't trust the small gauge wires on flight controls. I will be seriously considering the Robbe products when I start fitting out the scratch built model I am working on now.