RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Has the extreme Heat stopped your flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11145120-has-extreme-heat-stopped-your-flying.html)

eddieC 07-06-2012 10:10 AM

RE: Has the extreme Heat stopped your flying

Second-hottest summer here since records were kept in the 1880's.  [X(]  We fly late Thursdays and Saturday mornings, plus whenever we can fit in. 96F with 41% humidity = 101 heat index. 

It ain't the heat, it's the humility!  :)   :)

Turbulence 07-06-2012 10:12 AM

Stan,

I've been doing the opposite, get my stuff ready, show up at the field on Sunday's about 4:30-5 and fly until at least 7:30. From Sahauarita/Green Valley, it takes about an hour to get to Timpa, so I make sure all the batteries are charged and I have spares before I head out. I've done as much as 15 flights on the Electric Jets on Sunday's, field is empty because everyone flew early in the morning. Unless it's blowing past 20 MPH, I'm still flying.

Ralph

ORIGINAL: tucson

A few of us leave our houses at 5:30-6 AM. Drive about an hour. Get several flights in by 10:30, pack up and drive the hour back home. Get home around 12 PM.

A lot of work but worth it for me. We have no choice if you want to fly in this heat.

Stan

CraigG 07-06-2012 10:15 AM

What kills me in the heat is the set up. By the time I get unpacked and everything put together I'm on the verge of heat stroke and don't even feel like flying. Foamies in the early am for me until it cools off.

Craig

Tom Antlfinger 07-06-2012 10:44 AM

Definitely not risking my BVM hangar (UB, F-4, F-100)to thermal shutdown. Even when covered with a white towel, just taxiing in my yard, IR cockpit temps reach 155 F, with outside temp yesterday at 105F in the shade.

My Titans, P-200SX and 160sx cough and spit on acceleration from idle as well, so just fly my electric helis in my backyard in the shade.

One week of UK soggy misery would suit me fine...;)

TA

blhollo2 07-06-2012 11:10 AM

yesterday it was 106 degrees out side..i'm not flying at all

JohnMac 07-06-2012 11:13 AM

Well we are going on vacation tomorrow,....... on a boat. Only logical choice...:eek:

weasel33 07-06-2012 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is summer north west england, ive been getting rid of the flood water
ideal for boating no good for flying

brian

-JC- 07-06-2012 11:49 AM

When the canopy on my Tucano melted at the field last week I decided that it's boating season, not flying season. Will pick up jet flying again when it's below 90.

THERCAV8R 07-06-2012 11:58 AM

We fly early in the morning then home by noon. Also leave evening aroung 5:30 fly till dark.

SkidMan 07-06-2012 12:11 PM

We're flying down here in Central Florida where it is, as we like to say, in the 90's
<ul>[*]Temperature in the high 90's[*]Humidity well above 90%[*]Greater than 90% chance of thunderstorms[/list]Paul

sidgates 07-06-2012 12:50 PM

The older I get the less I tolerate the heat. It is not uncommon to have restrictions on flying turbine and gas engines at Chatfield and Cherry Creek State parks in the Denver area. The bans are usually caused by high heat and very low humidity.

Even if there is no ban I personnally don't fly a turbine when the fire danger is high and when the dry grass is very high, it too easy to start an uncontrolled fire.

Granpooba 07-06-2012 01:54 PM

Heat and a heart condition seems to curtail a lot of my flying and other summer activities. Except for riding around the yard on my lawn tractor. :(

pmerritt 07-06-2012 02:09 PM

The other bad thing about our AMA fields in you can't fly glow until 9:00 am in either of these two places I fly so by the time it's 9:00 am, it's going on uppers 80's/ low 90's heading toward 100+ real fast.  The biggest problem is when it dries out this way, any grass field develops crevices  big enough to lose a Prius in!  I'm looking for 10" tires that will fit on my 60 sized planes.  If one could withstand the heat, it's just not worth the sweat running down into your eyes and blinding you for as long as it takes to lose sight of the plane.  The good thing about hot weather...SHORT SKIRTS!

Luchnia 07-06-2012 02:10 PM

Here in central VA, I get up early and arrive at the field early (probably be there at 6:30AM tomorrow) and fly till it gets hot enough that the sweat gets in my eyes and then I usually stop because that is when my enjoyment factor drops [8D] not too mention it is not all that good on the equipment.

Early is good around here when it is scorching hot because the temps run around 75-85 at night to early morning during extreme heat periods - we are just having some unusually hot "triple digit" weather right now. When it is in the 80s it is nice flying weather for me.

ddennison 07-06-2012 02:24 PM

I know that a complaint about heat from MN will sound funny but...YES, the heat has kept me grounded lately. It has been almost 100 each day here for 7-10 days and was in the upper 90s before that for a week.

The planes could probably handle it but I dont care to go when it is that hot, too many other things to do when it is that hot.

I am hoping to get out Sunday in cool 82-88 degree weather and will be flying my lightest wing loading and coolest running turbine - UB/200 SX.

The MN Jet Rally should be nice and cool in August : 77-83 degrees F.

Dave

Lightspeed1551 07-06-2012 02:43 PM

85 degrees is my limit and it's currently 104 outside.

tkline 07-06-2012 04:57 PM

I guess you can say the heat is keeping me from flying. On the 4th my shop and well I guess pretty much everything I own except my house burned to the ground because someone flipped a cigarette out the window in front of my house then while I was fighting the fire I went down with heat stroke just got home from the hospital today and my shop and motorhome are still smoking so I guess it will be a little while before I can fly again.

jpjamie 07-06-2012 05:25 PM

As ddennison says, it's very hot here in Minnesota and it has grounded me this 4th, but Sunday (RAMS club) does look good.
Friend in Scotland (home country) says it's been raining buckets there for a while and the trains were stopped.

lopflyers 07-06-2012 06:02 PM

Poor you turbine guys, our prop planes have a fan:D

eddieC 07-06-2012 06:32 PM

Tldine,
Sorry to hear that! I hope you a quick recovery !!

Mustangman40 07-06-2012 06:54 PM

Had to leave work after just 4hr today, no air in the school I'm working at. Two of the guys I was working with got sick from the heat, so I pulled the plug for the day, 115 on the heat index they said on the radio...http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/52_52.gif

Not flying in this heat, suppose to cool down Sunday 83.. That will feel like fall temps to me...http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

SIMCO 07-06-2012 07:01 PM

Last week I had 2 students 100 plus at 5:00 pm. probably the same this week. I'm convinced if your out in it all day Like I am, You just tend to ignore the temp. Lots of fluids,a little shade.$.02

harlanb 07-06-2012 08:06 PM

Here in Washington state it is supposed to be a scalding 80 deg F tomorrow....... I think Iwill be flying tomorrow.
Sorry the rest of you have to deal with the extreme heat....

WILDCRASHWILLY 07-06-2012 08:44 PM

I have not flown in two weeks. The last time I flew was at our local flyin two weeks ago. We had an electric crash that day. Before we could get to it the resulting grass fire was out of control. We used about 8 or nine 3 lb fire extinguishers and only got it half under control. By the time the fire dept. arrived, the fire had covered an area the size of a high school gym. Apparently the lipo was the first at the crash scene and didn't like the situation too much.[:'(] In addition, to consistent triple digit temps, we are experiencing a severe drought at 14 plus inches behind on rain in Western KY. I looked at the thermometer this afternoon and the temp was 108 F. I know this is not to big a deal for the guys out west, but for us it's pretty extreme, especially when coupled with the much lower humidity than we are normally used to. Tomorrow, (SAT), I think they are calling for 105 F. I'll be in the shop building on a Dynaflight Super Decath. kit again this weekend. My shop has A/C but with these temps, I wonder how it is holding up to the extra strain. We are normally in the low to mid 90's here by late July, and most of us tolerate that fairly well eventhough we would prefer the 80's.

thepamster 07-06-2012 09:57 PM

When I first started reading this thread I thought "Wow what a bunch of weenies!" BUT, we all are acustomed to our natural habitats and the temperatures there of.
In Texas if you don't like the summer heat you will spend 4 months doing something else other than flying. Bummer.
I am still flying now as well as that 70 days in a row of 100+ last year and at 2 or 3PM  in the afternoon. Heat? What heat?
Kudos to you guys parking the turbines in favor of safety. That's tough.
Load up the cooler guys! Lets go flying!