RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Jets Over Kentucky Part III (Spectacular Mid-Air Crash) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11178149-jets-over-kentucky-part-iii-spectacular-mid-air-crash.html)

P. Richards 08-02-2012 01:41 AM

Jets Over Kentucky Part III (Spectacular Mid-Air Crash)

This video features the last flight of Lewis Pattons A-7...

P. Richards aka SwatTeam

http://youtu.be/VZy2FbiHpQE

Robrow 08-02-2012 03:56 AM

RE: Jets Over Kentucky Part III (Spectacular Mid-Air Crash)

Commiserations, what a great jet, lessons learned....someone in the wrong pattern?

Rob.

smitty1001 08-02-2012 05:07 AM

Nope... I was flying the jet that hit Lewis. It was a freak accident. Knowing Lewis as well as I do I can safely say that neither one of us would appreciate a thread full of speculation. It was very dramatic in the air, zero drama on the ground. An unfortunate end to two jets in the last hours of a week full of many many flights.

Incredible footage btw SWAT

AnthonyW 08-02-2012 05:33 AM

Smitty,
Everyone I have read are making comments about "sorry Lewis you lost your plane" but what about you! What did you lose? That hurts no matter how it happened and I can see it easily happening at any EVENT not just a jet event when you have multiple planes in the air.
I am sad for the loss of BOTH planes.

gunradd 08-02-2012 06:43 AM

He lost a beautiful shockwave that was flying so good all week. No one was at fault and it happens. So I agree no speculation needed.

lookilook 08-02-2012 07:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
indeed both planes are a loss and the feeling of loosing your plane like this when its been flying flawless is something that i wish i wont feel.!

TimWatson 08-02-2012 08:03 AM

But no speculation means no fun. Dont you think RCU is already booring enough at the moment

Robrow 08-02-2012 08:37 AM

Yes, absolutely gutting that both jets were lost, it is something that fortunately only happens rarely and I would not want to upset any one with speculation even though it is human nature. Hopefully at least one thing would have been learned from the incident.

Unrelated to this incident I was flying at another event where on more than one occasion I had to ask while I was actually flying whether the circuit/pattern was left or right because someone was flying the wrong circuit!

Rob.

P. Richards 08-02-2012 09:20 AM

The slow motion version and the entire last flight will be added to the Jets Over Kentucky unofficial DVD...

P. Richards aka SwatTeam

bcovish 08-02-2012 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: TimWatson

But no speculation means no fun. Dont you think RCU is already booring enough at the moment
You want to have fun at other peoples expense.:eek: There is a third party involved in the accident. The owner of the Shockwave.

jetpilot 08-02-2012 10:16 AM

Cool Video!! The music was very fitting!! Nice job!!
Scott

TimWatson 08-02-2012 10:40 AM

ORIGINAL: bcovish

You want to have fun at other peoples expense.:eek: There is a third party involved in the accident. The owner of the Shockwave.
No but what has happened has happened. No amount of speculation will change that.

Quite simple to be honest if you dont want comment or speculation why the heck would you post the video here or indeed at all. I sugest you need to get real

madmodelman 08-02-2012 10:47 AM

If it's that boring why come on it.

TimWatson 08-02-2012 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: madmodelman

If it's that boring why come on it.
Well to try and spice it up

Pat Barnes 08-02-2012 11:32 AM

Great video and a spectacular crash indeed! Sad loss for both pilots involved, but all models eventually end up being rekitted! (or should, IMO - never been a fan of seeing good flying models 'retired'. As they say - better to burn out than fade away!) The question is, what's the next project?

ravill 08-02-2012 12:18 PM

There was a jet that seemed to be flying opposite pattern at that time.

Condolences to everyone. [:o]

smitty1001 08-02-2012 12:55 PM

Nope... Both jets flying a left hand pattern. Probably the silhouette in the vid is deceiving. The Shockwave was in a left bank right about where you see the #1 & #2 jets turn at 10:47" in the vid, on a line that my spotter and I believed was further out and wider than Lewis was.

Both jets have already been replaced with exact same airplanes - one already ready to fly as we speak. Again, really unfortunate event, but completely without drama and amongst good friends. If the hobby was full of Lewis' and Scott's, it be a lot better hobby! Lewis and I have already agreed to do a "tribute" flight next year in which the jets actually DON'T touch. ;)

Dieselman1220 08-02-2012 01:20 PM

all involved have already shaken hands and moved on on good terms
What more needs to be said.[8D]

smitty1001 08-02-2012 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Dieselman1220
Probably just "ouch," and "don't do this." Danno had a good comment on the way home: He said that really altitude is the only buffer you have for seperation - the headings and such really can't be judged, especially that far away. That was way down to the left (down to upwind turn), the wreckaged landed near the VASI which you can see in the vid. Anyways... yeah... uh, this IS NOT RECOMMENDED

rcjetsaok 08-02-2012 01:36 PM

I guess the next " Gadget " we see coming down the pike will ba a TCAS system... I'm sure the geeks already have the wheels turning !!!! ;)

Danno

ravill 08-02-2012 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Dieselman1220

all involved have already shaken hands and moved on on good terms
Good point.

And another good point might be that there might something to learn from mid airs. One thing might be, made by smitty1001, altitude is likely our only defense for mid-airs. Another is how two stand up dudes shook hands and moved on!

John Redman 08-02-2012 01:45 PM

Another is how two stand up dudes shook hands and moved on!
Perfectly said Rav!!!! Perfectly said!!!

smitty1001 08-02-2012 01:45 PM

Scott and Lewis were the real men here - I went immediately to sickbay on suicide watch. Both of their perspectives RIGHT AWAY (I mean within seconds) were dead nuts on. I'm just happy I got the two weeks of therapy that I did before this thread. (figured I would only get a few hours) ;)

TimWatson 08-02-2012 01:53 PM

Here is a novel idea. Only fly one plane in the air at a time

rcjetsaok 08-02-2012 02:45 PM

Dennis,

I have been out many times and to a lot of events with Smitty, and I can guarantee you he has never flown more than one plane at a time !!!! In fact, there were 150+ pilots at that event and I didn't witness any of them flying more than one plane at a time !!!

Dan

Dieselman1220 08-02-2012 02:53 PM

Dan.......ugh nevermind lol:D

ravill 08-02-2012 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

Dennis,

I have been out many times and to a lot of events with Smitty, and I can guarantee you he has never flown more than one plane at a time !!!! In fact, there were 150+ pilots at that event and I didn't witness any of them flying more than one plane at a time !!!

Dan
Pfffftt..

Puny Humans...I'm flying two jets and posting on RCU while spilling mustard from my sandwich on my Mac, as I post this right now.

mr_matt 08-02-2012 04:44 PM

EDIT Sorry for the loss and don't feed trolls

jeteye 08-02-2012 04:49 PM

<span style="font-size: medium">Hey Guys...A midair is just one of those things. It's not anyones fault; it just happened. Everytime we fly, that's the risk we take to do what we really enjoy. <span style="color: #0000ff">After all, they're just airplanes; I still have two great friends! </span>Looking forward to the tribute flight next year.

Lewis
</span>

smitty1001 08-02-2012 05:03 PM

^ agreed!

warbird_1 08-02-2012 05:23 PM

looking at the video.. the sky looked pretty crappy that day. they were both basically flying Silhouette's that day. It's good to know that there was NO DRAMA . It was an accident and stuff happens. glad to hear the planes have been replaced and everything is good.

Countryboy 08-02-2012 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Novel idea, I seriously doubt it ! I dare say there would have been a lot of pissed off pilots if Lewis only allowed one in the air at a time with this many aircraft in the startup area waiting to fly.

jeteye 08-03-2012 04:16 AM

<span style="font-size: medium">And to think...there were only three of us in the air at the time...Just one of those things (LOL)!

Lewis

</span>

ORIGINAL: Countryboy

Novel idea, I seriously doubt it ! I dare say there would have been a lot of pissed off pilots if Lewis only allowed one in the air at a time with this many aircraft in the startup area waiting to fly.

jacksonretlaw-RCU 08-03-2012 08:28 AM

Sorry for both of your losses.This is part of the hobby.We move on to the next project.You two are true gentleman to the hobby.No pointing fingers of who to blame.Shame on anyone who thinks otherwise.As I see on the vidieo,s.this is one great jet rally I would love to attend in the near future.I have lost a jet or two.This just happens.I hope to see your new jets in the air soon gentleman.

Best regards,
Walter

jeteye 08-03-2012 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Walter,

The new A-7 should be flying in a matter of weeks. The new kit from Fly Eagle has leading edge slats, better reinforcement, and many other improvments. The old A-7 was fantastic, but I'm really looking forward to this one! I hope Scott's new project is coming along as well.

Lewis

ORIGINAL: jacksonretlaw-RCU

Sorry for both of your losses.This is part of the hobby.We move on to the next project.You two are true gentleman to the hobby.No pointing fingers of who to blame.Shame on anyone who thinks otherwise.As I see on the vidieo,s.this is one great jet rally I would love to attend in the near future.I have lost a jet or two.This just happens.I hope to see your new jets in the air soon gentleman.

Best regards,
Walter

lookilook 08-03-2012 10:31 AM

she is a beauty Lewis,happy landings with her!! This olympos scheme is very nice.