RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Perfect Model Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11218454-perfect-model-jet.html)

tlj125 09-06-2012 08:45 AM

RE: Perfect Model Jet

My favorite was a Yellow Aircraft Starfire. It hit everything on what's important in a sport jet to me. What a great plane at a great price. Had several BVM jets- bandit, viper, etc. They were all a nightmare compared to the simplicity of the Starfire.

Terry

moggyman64 09-06-2012 10:09 AM

Thanks guys, at present it appears that the scale jets are ahead on popularity. Keep them coming.

Regards

keith

dubd 09-06-2012 10:16 AM

I think you'll always find scale jets to be more popular if polling the RC jet community. We got into this aspect of the hobby because of our love of full size jets, so it stands to reason that our principle enjoyment will come from scale jets. If I could only have one it would be a scale jet that flew like a sport jet. Any large Hawk fits that description. :)

3dean 09-06-2012 11:07 AM

ORIGINAL: josecilurzo

BVM KING CAT, IS THE GUY!!!! Any good turbine.

JOSE

i agree
the bvm kingcat has presence,is fast ,and unlike a lot of those flimsy artf's ,its built very strong

tucson 09-06-2012 11:24 AM

Dantley,

Being that you have now owned both the Comp-Arf and Skymaster Hawks, which in your opinion is the better flyer?

Stan

dubd 09-06-2012 12:37 PM

Stan, I'll try and answer that as objectively as I can. In terms of pure sports flying, the CARF Hawk is in a league of its own. I had a Ultra Flash when I owned the CARF Hawk and I felt the two planes were vey redundant. It's one piece wing allows it to be flown very hard. However, the SM Hawk can fly similar manuevers, but with the reservation that you apply to any scale jet. I.e. Lots of throttle management. I'm not sure how much abuse the plane will take, but contrary to the "rigorous" jokes about my flying, I'm fairly conservative with power when flying a sale jet. With that said, a simple slow and low pass looks a million times better with the SM Hawk because it has so much more scale detail. The SM Hawk also feels heavier and more substantial when flown.

sskianpour 09-06-2012 12:48 PM

I've owned and flown Boomerangs, Kingcat, F22, F15's, CARF Tutor, MB339's, Ultra Lightning, Ultra Bandit, BVM F100. I cannot honestly tell you which is my favorite, because that answer is a function of what mood I am in on a given day and how I wish to fly that day (fast,? scale? Aerobatic? HArd? Mild? etc...)

With that said, my BVM F100 may be harder to see than some of the larger jets like the 339 listed above, but it is by far the one that gives me the most satisfaction / adrenaline / pride / big fat grin from ear-to-ear flying (and landing like Rainer points out above.)

The Ultra Bandit is a close second to my Hun. To each their own.

Shaz

Andrew Bird 09-06-2012 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: moggyman64

Thanks guys, at present it appears that the scale jets are ahead on popularity. Keep them coming.

Regards

keith

Everyone has their own priorities from that perfect jet. I had a Hawk for all of 5 minutes and it reminded me that I love sport jets, so I sold it. Others (probably the majority:D) may feel the polar opposite to this. I like the idea of something which gives me good length of flight time per flight, is simple and robust so I can get a decent number of flights in a day at the field without recurring niggles sending me home early and it being able to offer me a wide flight envelope to fly fast, slow and generally be a great aerobatic aircraft. Now all I need is one which makes up for my utter incompetence as a toy plane pilot and has a way of creating more days in the week when I don't have to work so I can get out to play with it.......

BaldEagel 09-06-2012 02:35 PM

Regards

keith

I think you will find that scale jet pilots are more obsessive and are therefore more likely to answer this post, that is why they are ahead on popularity, personally I keep going back to my P20 powered Duckty, just the Duckty, Tx and fuel no other equipment required.

Mike

josecilurzo 09-06-2012 02:36 PM

All BVM are great jet, but, the KINGCAT is like a CADILLAC : if you like, is an classic, if you not like, is an classic too!!!

:D

jose

dubd 09-06-2012 04:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Andrew Bird

Regards

keith

Now all I need is one which makes up for my utter incompetence as a toy plane pilot and has a way of creating more days in the week when I don't have to work so I can get out to play with it.......
Andrew, now that is the perfect jet!!! When you find that plane let me know. I will buy 2!!!! :D ;)

sleepless.ch 09-06-2012 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: sskianpour

I've owned and flown Boomerangs, Kingcat, F22, F15's, CARF Tutor, MB339's, Ultra Lightning, Ultra Bandit, BVM F100. I cannot honestly tell you which is my favorite, because that answer is a function of what mood I am in on a given day and how I wish to fly that day (fast,? scale? Aerobatic? HArd? Mild? etc...)

With that said, my BVM F100 may be harder to see than some of the larger jets like the 339 listed above, but it is by far the one that gives me the most satisfaction / adrenaline / pride / big fat grin from ear-to-ear flying (and landing like Rainer points out above.)

The Ultra Bandit is a close second to my Hun. To each their own.

Shaz

Shaz, you bring it to the point. We can't compare apples and oranges.
It's what you wan't and what you like. Some one has a marked preference for modern jet, som one for classic jets, and the other one don't care look or type of the airplane. They will fly just for fun (like playstation).</p>

I'm interest generally at airplanes and technique. And i'm a passionate builder.
The reason why the BVM-HUN is my favorit: The construction &amp; landing gear is well thought-out, perfect light and solid processed.
The F-100 Super Sabre has a sucessfull history and on the RC airfield in europe is the F-100 once in a blue moon.
With the rivetet aluminium surface, the several hundreds of details and the depth detailed cockpit was my F-100 a eye candy. (May God rest his soul).
Further has the BVM-HUN awesome flight quality and a wide spectum of light characteristic. With full flaps and slats it's a train. In a slow fly by the HUN looks majestic and with the shining surface it's a feast for the eyes. Power stick forward you have a rocket! The top speed is far over 200 mph.If you take the BVM-F-100 to the airfield, ton't forget to wrap the keen-eyes.</p>

Only two things on the BVM-kit are not funny. The BVM-HUN cost a packet and give a great deal of work.</p>

Rainer Willisch

</p>

Doug Cronkhite 09-06-2012 11:21 PM

BVM F-100. It's dead-nuts scale, and yet flies like a sport jet. Full flaps and leading edge devices and it'll land at a crawl. I remember Chris Huhn flying his a decade ago at Fresno Jets and being blown away at how slowly it landed, followed by no more than a 75' ground roll to full stop. I was plain floored. If scale isn't your thing, nothing beats the way a Super Bandit flies, but they aren't fun to build at all.

ricardinho 10-04-2012 09:34 AM

i have flown most of the comp arf sport jets and many others..my favorite is the ultra lightning..big bad and beautiful...easy to see and fly..what else would you want in a jet...again thats just my opinion..pat

Andy Aldridge 10-04-2012 09:53 AM

Any aeroplane from Philip Avonds or COMP ARF.

ricardinho 10-04-2012 10:34 AM

:Dyes sir

flyinfool1 10-04-2012 11:52 AM

It ain't pretty, it ain't sexy, it ain't got no smooth flowing lines, and it is nowhere near scale to anything. But I sure like my Reaction 54 on our small grass field.

ricardinho 10-04-2012 11:55 AM

i love the reaction ...i just sold my navy reaction arf long nose with 140rx...i think its sexy...now the shok jet is another story...hahahah

E.N.T. 10-05-2012 06:39 AM

Just like wine. It's the one that you like the most.

E.N.T.

rick hamel 10-05-2012 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Something no one else has right next to you on the flight line and no retracts to fool withsomething really HOT!!!

Dr Honda 10-05-2012 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: flyinfool1

It ain't pretty, it ain't sexy, it ain't got no smooth flowing lines, and it is nowhere near scale to anything. But I sure like my Reaction 54 on our small grass field.

Yep... I love the Reaction too. I don't own one... and if I wasn't so lazy... I would build one. I truly think it's the "Das Ugly-Stick" of the turbine world. (to me, that's a good thing)

As others have said... the perfect jet is in the eyes of who is asking. At one time... I was builder. But now... I don't have the time. It takes me a a year to get an ARF together. I truley admire the guys who build the scale jets... but I'm happiest at the field, flying, and talking with other RC'ers.

I'm a sport guy. I'm not even a regular "Jet Jock" who is interested in speed. I just love the sound and smell of a turbine. I've often thought of building a big "Slow-Stick" and strapping a turbine to it. (lol)

If someone wants to sell a Reaction 54 (old wood one) I would be interested in it.

number27 10-07-2012 02:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I also love my PST Reaction, great trainer/sport jet powered by Jetcat Rx140

CraigG 10-07-2012 03:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine:

ricardinho 10-07-2012 03:28 AM

yes they do fly nice..i had one identicle to yours with 140rx...they fly great...

ricardinho 10-07-2012 03:29 AM

i think this one is everybodys favorite..lol...awesome plane