RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Fuel line tie wire? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11229773-fuel-line-tie-wire.html)

Jonboy2 09-16-2012 12:01 AM

Fuel line tie wire?

Finishing up a Falcon 120 and I read somewhere that it is good practice to tie off your fuel line connections with metal wire so they don't come loose. Just wondering what most guys are using as far as good tie wire? I have some thin gauge wire but when I tie it off with a few good twists, the stuff just breaks. What works for you guys? Thanks Jon

Boomerang1 09-16-2012 12:21 AM

RE: Fuel line tie wire?

I'm an electrician & have wire scraps around.
I just strip some 7 strand wire (7/050 wire being 7 strands of .5mm copper wire)
& use one strand of that.

Or use a stripped strand of 8 core data cable. - John.

lookilook 09-16-2012 01:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i am using stainless steel locking wire used on aircrafts, i also bought the plier for it on ebay.

smchale 09-16-2012 02:32 AM

http://shopbvmjets.com/zencart/index...products_id=91

Dr Honda 09-16-2012 03:22 AM

I also use stainless safety wire. I will update with the size later.

********Edit*****

My spool is 0.030". It works, but it's a little thick. I'd recommend something thinner. 0.020" would be better.

Square Nozzle 09-16-2012 03:53 AM

.015 soft stainless steel wire from McMaster Carr and twisting pliers from Harbor Freight.

aquaskiman 09-16-2012 04:06 AM

Dreamworks also sells it and pliers

bcovish 09-16-2012 04:41 AM

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/safety-wire-p-455.html
http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/safe...ers-p-458.html

BaldEagel 09-16-2012 07:11 AM

Don't forget to barb the fuel tube and tie behind that, I solder a bit of paper clip onto the fuel tube and file it smooth after soldering and tie behind that.

Mike

Eddie P 09-16-2012 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Don't forget to barb the fuel tube and tie behind that, I solder a bit of paper clip onto the fuel tube and file it smooth after soldering and tie behind that.

Mike
GREAT idea, why haven't I thought of it :D

I typically haven't made a big deal about vent lines that aren't barbed but I still safety wire them anyway with SS wire. I just use pliers and a wire cutter and some hemostats to loop the ties wire back on itself to reduce a chance of wearing into other fuel lines or electrical wires, it works just as well as the fancy twisters. But the quick solder barb sounds like a decent idea.

sidgates 09-16-2012 07:57 AM

Jon,
I use a dark green wire I got at the garden shop at Home Depot. It is used for tying plants etc. Cheap and strong enough.

Sid

limeybob 09-16-2012 08:01 AM

go to Hobby Lobby ect and get some picture hanging wire, they have stainless.
Unbraid and use.
limeybob

757jonp 09-16-2012 08:54 AM

Don't tell anybody... but I've been using the twisty tie wire that comes with a loaf of bread for years. Leave the plastic sheath on to prevent fuel line cuts, double wrap it, cross it, grab it with the needle nose pliers, rotate the plane 3-4 times, trim with side cutters. (some prefer to rotate the pliers instead so I've heard)

I know, I know.... pretty low tech.

PLANE JIM 09-16-2012 05:52 PM

I know someone is around that probaly uses stainless steel braided hoses for fuel line and also wears a motorcycle helmet when they are reading the latest issue of Street Bike Magazine while sitting on the toilet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think at times we try to over complicate and engineer our projects which can lead to more problems. But this is only MY opinion.

highhorse 09-16-2012 06:23 PM

Tying off the lines is more than a good idea IMO, it's essential.

On my first jet I didn't tie them on the theory that they were tight enough, but had several "air-sucking bubble flameouts" before I wised up. After I tied 'em off the problems went away and the engine operation was flawless.

My two cents regarding our multi-thousand dollar toys.

Don

eddieC 09-16-2012 07:28 PM

Safety-wire pliers ???  Really ??<div>
</div><div>And I thought small zip-ties were overkill. (They're just as good, if not better. Almost impossible to cut the fuel line if over-tightened. )</div><div>
</div><div>KISS</div>

InboundLZ 09-16-2012 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: eddieC

Safety-wire pliers ??? Really ??<div>
</div><div>And I thought small zip-ties were overkill. (They're just as good, if not better. Almost impossible to cut the fuel line if over-tightened. )</div><div>
</div><div>KISS</div>
Yeah, Really....if you know what you are doing your safety wire is a work of art...

SeaJay 09-16-2012 07:33 PM

757jonp,

I use the twisty ties off of loafs of bread also!! works great...

Craig

FenderBean 09-16-2012 07:50 PM

twister pliers seem like over kill, you would waste more wire than if you just twist by hand. Funny the only time I really could have used them we were not allowed. LOL

highhorse 09-16-2012 07:59 PM

</div><div>KISS</div>
Yes, really ;-)

I must be doing something wrong though. I have never, ever cut a line by tightening the wire. I have gone too tight and broken the wire a couple of times, but the Tygon was fine afterwards.

In my experience it's not about keeping the line from falling off, it's about taking a couple of wraps around the fuel line and tightening the safety wire to make a perfect seal. I haven't had a single air bubble in several years now except those recently caused by a bad filler plug seal where the line had hardened and the line is obviously not tied.

Works for me and lots of other folks who don't think an extra pair of pliers and 1/10 of one cent worth of quality stainless wire is an extravagance. If others want to use bread twisties on their jets I'm all for it, but I will go with the best materials available on mine to ensure that my thumbs remain the greatest threat to my jets' longevity.
;-)

InboundLZ 09-16-2012 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: highhorse

</div><div>KISS</div>
Yes, really ;-)

I must be doing something wrong though. I have never, ever cut a line by tightening the wire. I have gone too tight and broken the wire a couple of times, but the Tygon was fine afterwards.

In my experience it's not about keeping the line from falling off, it's about taking a couple of wraps around the fuel line and tightening the safety wire to make a perfect seal. I haven't had a single air bubble in several years now except those recently caused by a bad filler plug seal where the line had hardened and the line is obviously not tied.

Works for me and lots of other folks who don't think an extra pair of pliers and 1/10 of one cent worth of quality stainless wire is an extravagance. If others want to use bread twisties on their jets I'm all for it, but I will go with the best materials available on mine to ensure that my thumbs remain the greatest threat to my jets' longevity. ;-)

+1000!!!!

And thats the differance between going to the field and flying and going to the field and fixing....

seflyer 09-16-2012 08:32 PM

shoot me your address and I'll send 20 or so feet of .020 safety wire, we get it in one pound cans at the airport and use it on most everything. or find a local aircraft repair station and ask one of the techs, I am sure someone would spare a few feet to complete your project.

Kevin

Paul_BB 09-16-2012 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about this kind of stuff ?
Is that OK ?

eddieC 09-16-2012 09:30 PM

Paul, that's too low-tech. [8D]<div>
</div><div>Don't get your panties in a bunch, guys. I have had safety-wire pliers for decades (and plenty of wire, thanx), and they stay in my 'real plane' toolbox. Nothing wrong with maintaining olde-skool skillz like properly soldering barbs. Of course, there's always Aeroquip fittings and hose.... :)</div>

highhorse 09-16-2012 09:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul_BB

How about this kind of stuff ?
Is that OK ?

I tried those and was sad that they didn't work for me. Coulda been wrong size or something though. Thing is, the size is critical and wire is sorta universal. Still, if I had a varied assortment of those clamps I'd probably try them again.