RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Large SM Hawk questions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11238432-large-sm-hawk-questions.html)

Joe Westrich 10-02-2012 04:06 AM

RE: Large SM Hawk questions

8711 all the way around on flight controls for me. The nose steering is standard size. I would put an 8411 on it, maybe bigger.

MMcConville 10-02-2012 05:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Congrats on the Hawk. Thats the same model and scheme that I have. This was my first jet and I learned a ton. To start, I LOVE the model. It flies fantastic! Have about 100 flights on it now and just want to fly it more and more. Here are a few lessons I have learned:

- GET the metal hinge upgrade. The hinges on the main doors WILL break over time.
- If there is a metal upgrade available for the actuator attach on the speed board, get it. Mine broke just deploying it on the ground.
- Flap hinges are a pain. I would get them factory done if I got another one.
- I use 8911 all round including nose gear steering.
- The BVM upgrade packages are good. I got all of them ands it made the install pretty easy.
- If you dont get the BVM packages, still get the larger main door cylinders. It needs them.
- JetCat P160sx in mine. PLENTY of power.
- Add come CF strips in the belly in nose and under the turbine so it dosent distort when sitting in a fender stand.
- I agree with adding reinforcement around the edge of the openings in the fuse. Mine has split in a spot. Especially under the opening for the rear hatch above the turbine.
- Getting the rudder to fit snugly on the torque rod can be tricky. I wraped the torque rod with one layer of heat shield tape and it snugs it right up. If you remove the fin, remove and replace the tape.
-SM cockpits and pilots are good. But, the cockpits will distort sitting out in the sun. Add glass cloth or CF under the front and rear lips on the cockpit tubs or they will curl up badly.
- BVM manual is well worth the money.
- Mount the two elevator servos as close together as possible (so arms almost touch) there isnt much space in the fairing (hatch above the servos) for the arms. I found the BVM template for mounting the servos didnt work. Had to move them closer together.

VERY IMPORTANT:

On mine, when the ailerons are aligned with the flaps at neutral, they are slightly drooped at the tip. Not much, but it was enough to make it very tricky to land. A little too much AOA and it would tip stall. I raised both ailerons about 1.5mm at the TE and it became a new airplane. Beautiful to land. Others did the same and found the same result.

ddennison 10-02-2012 10:46 AM

Thanks, Mike.

I have the BVM upgrades on oreder too and will include metal hinge/door cylinder upgrades.

Regarding the TE of the aileron being up 1.5 mm, are you doing this all of the time, or more of a"crow" feature on landing?

Thanks again,
Dave

jetpilot 10-02-2012 11:45 AM

Great Tips Mike!
Scott

bruno borges 10-02-2012 12:25 PM

My Bae hawk flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mVwNjV3XdM

Enjoy!!!

bruno borges 10-06-2012 09:27 PM

My second Flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMupH...p;feature=plcp

ddennison 10-07-2012 05:49 AM

I was just looking at some full scale Goshawk pics and found that the speed brakes are on either side o the aft fuse with a central ventral fin by the arresting hook mount. Anyone know if the Sm version is actually scale with the ventral fins(2) and the single speed brake?

Just curious in case it winds up in any competition etc.

Thanks very much
Dave

Joe Westrich 10-07-2012 06:05 AM

I don't think SM has any version with the side speed boards like the full size Goshawk. Another missed detail is the nose strut and dual nosewheel. I think you will just have a standard Hawk in Goshawk marking.

quist 10-07-2012 06:11 AM

The large SM Hawk is only a T45 in color scheme.

ddennison 10-07-2012 07:32 AM

Thanks guys.
Not a big deal, I still love the scheme and it will fly great. Perhaps the mods would be fun to do myself....we'll see.

I read about the history of the Goshawk this AM and it outlines the specific conversion of the side air brakes, full length LE slats, coupled brake/elevator control and some other engine upgrades to deal with the drag for carrier approach.

I keep wondering if someone might make a retrograde double nose wheel that fits into the sky master strut - that would be fun.

I ordered my lights (D4S) so now I just need the plane. I think I am going to try the HV8911 servos - anyone had any trouble going to the HV systems?

I usually fly JR10x/Weatronic by think I might go back to my 12x/1222/HV servos this time around. I am not asking about any brand > other brand, just if those that have used JR HV servos have any trouble? Thanks!

Dave

ddennison 10-07-2012 07:37 AM

Mike mentioned the TE of the aileron being up 1.5 mm, does anyone prefer this all of the time or just on landing, as a mild crow type setting?

Dave

ddennison 10-07-2012 07:57 AM

One more question for the owners of the SM Hawk - if you added CF or other reinforcement to the bottom or around the cockpit frame, did you use epoxy or resin type adhesive? Have some CF tape and was planing on Zpoxy to apply, otherwise I use aeropoxy/Vpoxy for all other joints.

Thanks
Dave

Joe Westrich 10-07-2012 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: ddennison

Mike mentioned the TE of the aileron being up 1.5 mm, does anyone prefer this all of the time or just on landing, as a mild crow type setting?

Dave
I'm sure there is some benefit from doing this but I have not heard of it until now. My ailerons are in the neutral position at all times and I haven't had any issues. I just flew it yesterday off a 400ft by 30ft runway and it landed fantastic. I do have the Hawk 100 which has the wingtip caps and pylons. I don't know if this makes a difference or not. I guess you could program a mix or add the aileron change as part of the landing flight mode, if you use flight modes on your radio.

Joe Westrich 10-07-2012 10:02 AM

One more question for the owners of the SM Hawk - if you added CF or other reinforcement to the bottom or around the cockpit frame, did you use epoxy or resin type adhesive? Have some CF tape and was planing on Zpoxy to apply, otherwise I use aeropoxy/Vpoxy for all other joints.

Thanks
Dave
I used CF cloth and cut a piece that fit the inside of the tub with the side up to about an inch. I used ZAP resin to finish it. It did the job nicely.

Joe Westrich 10-07-2012 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not that you asked, but this is how I put mine together.

Joe Westrich 10-07-2012 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Thanks guys.
Not a big deal, I still love the scheme and it will fly great. Perhaps the mods would be fun to do myself....we'll see.

I read about the history of the Goshawk this AM and it outlines the specific conversion of the side air brakes, full length LE slats, coupled brake/elevator control and some other engine upgrades to deal with the drag for carrier approach.

I keep wondering if someone might make a retrograde double nose wheel that fits into the sky master strut - that would be fun.

I ordered my lights (D4S) so now I just need the plane. I think I am going to try the HV8911 servos - anyone had any trouble going to the HV systems?

I usually fly JR10x/Weatronic by think I might go back to my 12x/1222/HV servos this time around. I am not asking about any brand > other brand, just if those that have used JR HV servos have any trouble? Thanks!

Dave
I keep looking at the nose wheel of my Y/A F-18 twin. It looks about the same and should be tall enough. If I get another Hawk, it will be a Goshawk in this scheme.

ddennison 10-07-2012 01:00 PM

Thanks Joe,
Looks like you used some SWB stuff to simplify the install
Thanks for sharing,
Dave

rc4flying 10-07-2012 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Joe Westrich

Hello Joe,

I will be getting my Hawk any day now.
Looking at your Elevater servo setup, I see you are using metal ball links. Where do you get this kind of hardware ?

Thanks, Joe

jetpilot 10-07-2012 02:14 PM

http://store.rc4wd.com/Metal-Rod-Ends_c_29.html

dreamworks has some as well

rc4flying 10-07-2012 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

http://store.rc4wd.com/Metal-Rod-Ends_c_29.html

dreamworks has some as well

Thanks Scott

Joe Westrich 10-07-2012 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: rc4flying

Hello Joe,

Looking at your Elevater servo setup, I see you are using metal ball links. Where do you get this kind of hardware ?

Thanks, Joe
The kit from SM comes with one side of links. They are Right hand thread. If you are using a basic threaded rod, then you need two more RH thread links. If you are using the titanium pro-links like me, you have to get a set of Left handed thread links. You can get the Ti rod and RT or LH links from Dreamworks. It looks like that place that Scott gave you, might be a place to get them cheaper. I've not seen that site before.

BTW.... they are 4-40 threads. I was suprised that links included in a kit from China would have standard threads.

rc4flying 10-07-2012 03:22 PM

ORIGINAL: rc4flying

Hello Joe,

Thanks, Joe
The kit from SM comes with one side of links. They are Right hand thread. If you are using a basic threaded rod, then you need two more RH thread links. If you are using the titanium pro-links like me, you have to get a set of Left handed thread links. You can get the Ti rod and RT or LH links from Dreamworks. It looks like that place that Scott gave you, might be a place to get them cheaper. I've not seen that site before.

BTW.... they are 4-40 threads. I was suprised that links included in a kit from China would have standard threads.
That is good to know.
Is there anything in the kit that I should not use ?

jetpilot 10-07-2012 03:31 PM

dont use the air fitings!! chunk them!! dont use the air line either!! both junk imo! air valves too! use the BVM stuff.
scott

rc4flying 10-07-2012 03:34 PM

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

dont use the air fitings!! chunk them!! dont use the air line either!! both junk imo! air valves too! use the BVM stuff.
scott
I have all the BVM Upgrades already.

I plan on having the landing gear upgraded to electric by Down and Locked. Good or Bad idea for these gear ?

jetpilot 10-07-2012 03:37 PM

probably a great idea. never have to worry about them!
gets rids of one air system in a jet with retracts, doors, brakes, and speed brake.
Scott