RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Thief in Sarasota, FL (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11242158-thief-sarasota-fl.html)

Harley Condra 08-22-2013 01:41 PM

I will keep my eyes open around Orlando.

gunradd 08-22-2013 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by planedriver_2 (Post 11597899)
I'm not sure if Alden has seen this or was notified but i let a close friend of his in on the recent post on this and let's see what happens.

Whoa !!!

Yes after I emailed Eric Clapp he contacted him and Alden was already acting on it with law enforcement.

two dogs 08-22-2013 02:02 PM

great catch gunradd

Speed-RCU 08-22-2013 02:59 PM

Guys:

Sorry for the slow update, but we have been chasing the jet all day. 1st, thanks to gunradd for the initial post. The thread was subscribed by a good friend and he called this morning around 10:30 to let us know the ad was on Craig's list. After getting over the shock, we called the seller and told him we wanted to see the plane. He said he would hold it for us and off we went for the 75 minute drive. About 4 miles out we saw a State Trooper and flagged him down to ask for advice. Next thing we know he is calling his local Sherriff friends on their personal cell phones. Soon we were at the Sherriff's office. They wanted to get a search warrant and said it would take a couple of hours. We were fine with that but the seller called us and said if we did not show up in the next 60 minutes, he had two others ready to buy NOW.

We decided to go and buy the jet from the guy and see if the Sherriff could recover the money later. The Sherriff put a wire on Alden so they could listen in as the buy went down and a digital recorder on me to record everything. As soon as we pulled in, we knew it was the stolen jet. We asked a lot of questions, but I promise you everything he told us was a lie. We tried to negotiate the price, but he stayed firm and said two others were waiting for a call and they would be right over. We paid the man with the money the Sherriff copied, loaded the stuff in the car and went to the end of the street where the detectives were waiting. They had been listening to the entire event, asked us a few questions about what he was wearing and where he put the money. They went to pay the man a visit and we waited. After about 20 LONG minutes, they detectives returned. They said that they confronted the individual and told him the airplane he just sold was stolen. Without a beat he reached into his pocket and gave the money to the detective. After signing some paperwork, we took the money and the jet and headed home. Christmas has come early!!

This was not the guy that stole it. The rest of the info on him will have to be withheld.

Special thanks to gunrad. If he had waited a couple of hours to make the first post, we would not have retrieved the stolen items. gunradd, if you are in Sarasota, come fly with us and dinner is on us wherever you want to go!!

Thanks to all who were looking out for this jet!!!!!

David

drube 08-22-2013 03:08 PM

Great news!

two dogs 08-22-2013 03:11 PM

Christmas in august

Terry Holston 08-22-2013 03:57 PM

Good, I hope they nail the thieves!!!!!!!!

Airplanes400 08-22-2013 03:59 PM

This is great to hear. I hope the jet is still in good condition.

gunradd 08-22-2013 04:11 PM

Hey no problem glad I can help :)
Ill be at the scale event down their in a few months like last year flying the raptor.

Now you have a jet to fly in it also. Look forward to seeing you! Really glad you got it back. Its almost a year later.

Kristopher Gunter

Originally Posted by Speed-RCU (Post 11597967)
Guys:

Sorry for the slow update, but we have been chasing the jet all day. 1st, thanks to gunradd for the initial post. The thread was subscriber by a good friend and he called this morning around 10:30 to let us know the ad was on Craig's list. After getting over the shock, we called the seller and told him we wanted to see they plane. He said he would hold it for us and off we went for the 75 minute drive. About 4 mile out we saw a State Trooper and flagged him down to ask for advice. Next thing we know he is calling his local Sherriff friends on their personal cell phones. Soon we were at the Sherriff's office. They wanted to get a search warrant and said it would take a couple of hours. We were fine with that but the seller called us and said if we did not show up in the next 60 minutes, he had two others ready to buy NOW.

We decided to go and buy the jet from the guy and see if the Sherriff could recover the money later. The Sherriff put a wire on Alden so they could listen in as the buy went down and a digital recorder on me to record everything. As soon as we pulled in, we knew it was the stolen jet. We asked a lot of questions, but I promise you everything he told us was a lie. We tried to negotiate the price, but he stayed firm and said two others were waiting for a call and they would be right over. We paid the man with the money the Sherriff copied, loaded the stuff in the car and went to the end of the street where the detectives were waiting. They had bee listening to the entire event, asked us a few questions about what he was wearing and where he put the money. They went to pay the man a visit and we waited. After about 20 LONG minutes, they detectives returned. They said that they confronted the individual and told him the airplane he just sold was stolen. Without a beat he reached into his pocket and gave the money to the detective. After signing some paperwork, we took the money and the jet and headed home. Christmas has come early!!

This was not the guy that stole it. The rest of the info on him will have to be withheld.

Special thanks to gunrad. If he had waited a couple of hours to make the first post, we would not have retrieved the stolen items. gunradd,If you are in Sarasota, come fly with us and dinner is on us wherever you want to go!!

Thanks to all who were looking out for tis jet!!!!!

David

lopflyers 08-22-2013 04:13 PM

Awesome, congrats. This is to show plane thieves we are a tight community, one for all and all for one.

on_your_six 08-22-2013 04:42 PM

Hope you get the other missing plane and radios back too! My guess is that there is a local connection right in your neighborhood... WAY TO GO GUNRADD

smchale 08-22-2013 04:56 PM

Awesome conclusion, thanks RCU and Kris! Without either this would not have ended as well.

Gixxy 08-22-2013 05:01 PM

Kris needs Karma feedback +1000

*** is the karma feedback anyhow lol ?

BlueBus320 08-22-2013 05:07 PM

Wowwww, this was awesome! read it all, but wasn't paying attention to the dates first time around. Gunradd caught it almost a year later & remembered this thread! great work, great thread, CONGRATS on retrieving your plane bro

RCISFUN 08-22-2013 05:22 PM

Wow what a great ending to a long drawn out nightmare, it's great to see the community at work to help each other out.

retransit 08-22-2013 05:26 PM

Good looking out Kristopher! I commend you.

j.duncker 08-22-2013 05:36 PM

Good catch.

In Scotland the seller would likely have been guilty of RESET OF THEFT, The receiving and keeping of stolen goods knowing them to be stolen, with a design of feloniously retaining them from the real owner.

Is there a similar offence in Florida

jws_aces 08-22-2013 05:38 PM

Great Job Gun ....I think you were right about this one...I sure the seller is helping the investagation to save his butt and knows who stole it.

Chris P. Bacon 08-22-2013 05:58 PM

Awesome work guys! Glad to see you got your jet back!

jtlittle 08-22-2013 06:01 PM

Shame they could not have waited for the split. Could have gotten both thieves. Hell the courts will just............

went2fly 08-22-2013 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by tulz161 (Post 11246623)
What does that even mean?

I means Dick Head figure it out.

TimD. 08-22-2013 06:26 PM

Awsome recovery !!

txshan130 08-22-2013 07:42 PM

woww...

invertmast 08-22-2013 10:30 PM

Great to hear the RC community worked this out to a great conclusion! It makes me feel better about moving to the Sarasota area in 10 days!

RCFlyerDan 08-23-2013 02:48 AM

I think a special Thanks needs to go to my buddy Jim for finding it on CL to start with, and since he doesn't fly jets, he emailed it to me. I emailed the CL ad to Gunradd. Bargain hunter Jim is the one that found it on CL. I had no interest in the jet, and emailed it to Kris. Kris then connected the dots on the jet and contacted Alden-David.

But, this shows that the jet community is an extremely small and helpful community. Alden, I am glad that it came to a good end for you. Dan