RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   expired date turbine oil (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11254869-expired-date-turbine-oil.html)

tiporare 10-08-2012 04:38 AM

expired date turbine oil

hi every one
i have a few cans of expired date turbine oil .
can i use them?
i talked to friend of mine which is aviation engineer and he told me thet i can use it
with no problem
i will be glad to hear more opinions
thanks

FlyinTiger 10-08-2012 04:52 AM

RE: expired date turbine oil

I'm curious to know (as a new RC turbine pilot) what experies in the turbine oil? Is there a "best if sold by" date on the side of the container you have?

madmodelman 10-08-2012 04:56 AM

No problem to use, the oil has several additives for full size use which deteriorate over time hence the sell by date.

ticketec 10-08-2012 05:06 AM

All products used in full sized aviation must have a shelf life or expiration date on them. There is no "best before". This date, is the amount of time after manufacture or packaging, that the OEM guaranties that their product will still meet the required specification. I.e, if the shelf life of a paint is 4 years, then 4 years after the date of manufacture, if you were to apply that paint product, it would have the correct viscosity, soild content, coverage, etc during application, and then it would take the same amount of time to flash off, cure, and finally if would have the same final finish qualities as per the minimum required by the specification that it was sold as meeting or exceeding.

In full sized RPT (regular public transport, millitary, etc ) we discard many products because they have reached their shelf life. (General aviation are a little less concerned at times) The product can be perfectly ok, but must be discarded. I discarded over $5000 worth of paint products after an audit 2 weeks ago for this very reason. would I use it for my models? Damn straight;):D I would not hesitate (just mixed a batch of fuel last week with time ex oil) to use the oil in for my models as long as there is no signs of rust on the tin and there are no contaminates as you pour it out.

Thanks

dave

Harley Condra 10-08-2012 07:58 AM

Please send all of your expired turbine oil to me, and I will be pleased to dispose of it for you, saving you both time and the expense of legal disposal methods.

Dave Wilshere 10-08-2012 10:04 AM

How many years was it in the ground? ;)

Dw

jetmodeller 10-08-2012 12:25 PM

Hi i have been using turbine oil that was canned 20years ago for two years now no problems what so ever regards Keith;)

madmodelman 10-08-2012 12:45 PM

Glad you said that Keith, I've got a ton of 2010 vintage :D

Dr Honda 10-08-2012 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: FlyinTiger

I'm curious to know (as a new RC turbine pilot) what experies in the turbine oil? Is there a ''best if sold by'' date on the side of the container you have?

Nothing other than the FAA.

For "real" or "Full Scale" aircraft... they set dates on the oil. But, in reality, the oil is fine, if the can was never opened. It's kind of like putting an expiration on a twinkie. It's just a precaution, and to put a limit on the manufactures liability.

josecilurzo 10-08-2012 03:42 PM

for me too!!!

Jose ;)

ticketec 10-09-2012 12:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

Please send all of your expired turbine oil to me, and I will be pleased to dispose of it for you, saving you both time and the expense of legal disposal methods.
Love to mate, but all the local Jet boys have a standing offer to the same effect[:-] I hooked them up with just over a ton of Jet A1 last time. Maybe you'll have to move to sunny Queensland for some of the free stuff;)

Thanks

dave

GrayUK 10-09-2012 09:02 AM

No problem, you can use it, been doing it for years.
Paul G

Wayne22 10-10-2012 07:41 PM

If you think about it, we only use the oil once. most of it goes through the combustion chamber and is burnt..the tiny remainder goes through the bearings once, and then is burnt in the exhaust..

Full scale, it is circulated, pumped, filtered, heated, cooled, piped over and over until the next oil change....

cactusflyer 10-10-2012 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

If you think about it, we only use the oil once. most of it goes through the combustion chamber and is burnt..the tiny remainder goes through the bearings once, and then is burnt in the exhaust..

Full scale, it is circulated, pumped, filtered, heated, cooled, piped over and over until the next oil change....
Great point.....and in full scale the turbine oil is not changed! It is replaced at the overhaul after thousands of hours of use.

Tailwinds,

John

SJN 10-11-2012 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: cactusflyer

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

Great point.....and in full scale the turbine oil is not changed! It is replaced at the overhaul after thousands of hours of use.

Tailwinds,

John

Well, our 737-700`s with CFM`56`s use about 4 quarts every 48 hours , so it sort of replaces the oil regualry by itself :)