RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   One of the luckiest days of my life (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11255523-one-luckiest-days-my-life.html)

Dustflyer 10-10-2012 06:22 AM

RE: One of the luckiest days of my life

Time to let this one go.

This is why I stopped looking at these forums a long time ago, along with a whole host of other people.

I feel like I've just eaten a Whopper from Burger King. It tastes so good when you eat one, but man do I ever regret it afterwards.

bcovish 10-10-2012 07:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Dustflyer

This is why I stopped looking at these forums a long time ago, along with a whole host of other people.

If you stopped looking at these forums a log time ago, how did you make 4 posts in this thread.

Dustflyer 10-10-2012 07:41 AM

ORIGINAL: bcovish

ORIGINAL: Dustflyer

If you stopped looking at these forums a log time ago, how did you make 4 posts in this thread.
I was made aware of the thread via an email message. Once I looked at it, I couldn't believe anyone would fly an RC jet into the clouds "just for fun." Then again, plenty of people do stupid stuff just for fun. Others just do stupid stuff.

You're right, I'm one of them. I should have stayed away from this forum.

Erik R 10-10-2012 07:51 AM

John,

I truly regret posting in this thread to begin with.This will be my last post.The OP said his jet was out of sight for 30 seconds.I'm sure you agree thats a very long time.When he asked for input,you said you sometimes fly in the clouds for fun.You didn't say "tiny,puffy" ones.You made that clarification later.In my responses,I condemned the action,not you as a person,and I certainly never posted monkey pics,or stooped to things like "gay airline pilots".

I hardly ever mention what I do,because I don't think I am better than you,or anyone else here because of it.I brought it up to illustrate the safety issue of flying our jets in the clouds.I love this hobby,and participate vigorously,as I know you do.Like you said,we're going to have to agree to disagree.I still don't quite undertand what led you to post the childish,personally attacking,recent ones.I certainly didn't act that way towards you.I still believe intentionally flying model jets in clouds is a bad idea.

That all said,I'm done here,and i wish you the best,

Erik

fireblade5437 10-10-2012 08:06 AM

Also I remember at one of our Classic Jets meet at Abingdon in the UK we had one pilot loose his jet in mist/cloud now he was lucky when he spotted his jet which was quite a while you would think most people would land....? not this one he lost it a second time then he landed straight after having the jetr come back into view.. he was one lucky guy.
My point I am making is that most people I would hope would land straight away after getting eye contact with their jet after having lost sight of it and knowing conditions were bad not carrying on with the flight due to safety!

Alan

LGM Graphix 10-10-2012 08:36 AM

Here is a serious question about ending up in a cloud though, the consensus here is to shut down the engine and put it into a flat spin. That's all fine and good except there are airplanes which will never recover from a flat spin without power (kangaroo's for example, at least mine never would). So, if you enter a cloud, it would seem that by shutting the turbine down, you are eliminating the chance for recovery, as well as potentially putting the airplane in an uncontrollable situation over an area that would be very bad (housing for example.) Would it not be wiser to pull power back to idle and enter the snap/spin and wait for the airplane to reappear? Some may argue that if the engine is running at all it is a higher risk for a fire and it may well be, though I've seen dead stick jets crash and catch fire too.
It just seems to me that an airplane with the potential to retain control, would be wiser than one that is now an anchor falling from the sky.
I've ended up in a cloud accidentally twice, both times I pulled my throttle back to idle and just started rolling the jet (I was vertical both times and knew that if I rolled the jet it would end up very quickly in a downward line rolling). This kept it from entering a potentially non recoverable spin, and allowed it to have enough airspeed on the way down that even if the turbine flamed out I'd be able to fly a reasonable distance to if nothing else get it away from any housing, roads, etc.

This is only intended as a serious question, I don't purposely fly into clouds, but at the speeds our jets fly, and the difficulty in judging a cloud base (and the height of a jet) it is not an unheard of situation. FWIW, I've seen more 40% scale airplanes disappear into low cloud cover than I have jets over the years.

basimpsn 10-10-2012 09:03 AM

If I flew into the clouds by accident.. I wouldn't do a engine shut down first but just go to idle while giving moderate elevator input. If there is no plane then full elevator with rudder, Still no plane insight then engine shut down. All within 10 sec ;)

-JC- 10-10-2012 02:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Erik R

John,

I truly regret posting in this thread to begin with.This will be my last post.The OP said his jet was out of sight for 30 seconds.I'm sure you agree thats a very long time.When he asked for input,you said you sometimes fly in the clouds for fun.You didn't say ''tiny,puffy'' ones.You made that clarification later.In my responses,I condemned the action,not you as a person,and I certainly never posted monkey pics,or stooped to things like ''gay airline pilots''.

I hardly ever mention what I do,because I don't think I am better than you,or anyone else here because of it.I brought it up to illustrate the safety issue of flying our jets in the clouds.I love this hobby,and participate vigorously,as I know you do.Like you said,we're going to have to agree to disagree.I still don't quite undertand what led you to post the childish,personally attacking,recent ones.I certainly didn't act that way towards you.I still believe intentionally flying model jets in clouds is a bad idea.

That all said,I'm done here,and i wish you the best,

Erik

Eric, how about you grow a pair and man up to your mistake...
I posted TWICE and said that it was a tiny cloud and that nothing unsafe was done, but you kept spewing your wisdom about you being a captain for a major airline and that my idiotic, deplorable actions put our entire hobby at risk.

Your first question was valid albeit formulated in a condescending way that was uncalled for, but after being told twice... Well then the gloves are off and you deserve to be called a chest pounding monkey. Just like the other airline pilots on their soapbox chiming in about something they knew nothing about.

If you still think that cloud penetration was irresponsible and that it was a danger to aviation, then you lack every kind of common sense.

I'm done as well. My plane for Russia is leaving soon. Time to go fly full scale MiG-29 and MiG-31's with lots of cloud penetration :-)

VF84sluggo 10-10-2012 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: -JC-
I'm done as well. My plane for Russia is leaving soon. Time to go fly full scale MiG-29 and MiG-31's with lots of cloud penetration :-)

That is soooo cool, getting to fly real MiG's and all!! Are you like a Sierra Hotel fighter pilot or something? You sound very special!

-JC- 10-10-2012 02:44 PM

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

That is soooo cool, getting to fly real MiG's and all!! Are you like a Sierra Hotel fighter pilot or something? You sound very special!
Yup... I'll be as cool as the Captains of Major Airlines, being able to give advise about safety based on my full scale experience :)

VF84sluggo 10-10-2012 02:51 PM

You da' man!

Yup... I'll be as cool as the Captains of Major Airlines, being able to give advise about safety based on my full scale experience :)

invertmast 10-10-2012 04:28 PM

Im glad i dont work for a major airline, or any airline for that matter. :) oh wait, yea i do. Then i could get paid well and have a set schedule....damn this on call 24/7 crap!

blhollo2 10-10-2012 05:14 PM

i wish could afford a jet =(

indubitably 10-10-2012 06:16 PM

In the meantime, the GAPA

Girls, its time

JC,
You really have a great sense of humor, and you state things well, but what i hope we all see, is how easy it is to take someone out who has taken some one else out. Its easy to be rude to some one who has been rude. But its the same thing. And we all see our side of things and minimize the other sides troubles. Respect -even when someone else is disrepectful - is something we can all respect. For all of our sakes. Please

AFTERBURNER1 10-10-2012 06:59 PM

You guys better look out!!!!! I heard the MACP is aware of this thread!!!

Mothers Against Cloud Penetration :D

AFTERBURNER1 10-10-2012 07:00 PM

:D

guamflyer 10-10-2012 10:09 PM

you guys are funny...just don't fly into clouds...just fly really fast under them

SLOPE FAST - SOAR DEEP

guamflyer

VicPr 10-10-2012 10:41 PM

ORIGINAL: indubitably

In the meantime, the GAPA

Girls, its time

JC,
You really have a great sense of humor, and you state things well, but what i hope we all see, is how easy it is to take someone out who has taken some one else out. Its easy to be rude to some one who has been rude. But its the same thing. And we all see our side of things and minimize the other sides troubles. Respect -even when someone else is disrepectful - is something we can all respect. For all of our sakes. Please

Did anyone understand that ?

In the Haze 10-10-2012 11:42 PM

Yes;), i am In The Haze all the time.[8D]

barry711 10-11-2012 04:50 AM

i prefer not to fly my plane in cloudy weather because i am not a confident flyer at all.That's why i always fly my plane in fields outside my home town.I am not confident i can fly it in crowded area or in intense weather conditions.If anyone of you can guide me how to overcome this situation so i can also become a confident flyer.Any help will be greatly welcomed from my side.Thanks

bcovish 10-11-2012 06:17 AM

ORIGINAL: barry711

i prefer not to fly my plane in cloudy weather because i am not a confident flyer at all.That's why i always fly my plane in fields outside my home town.I am not confident i can fly it in crowded area or in intense weather conditions.If anyone of you can guide me how to overcome this situation so i can also become a confident flyer.Any help will be greatly welcomed from my side.Thanks

Practice, Practice, Practice. Having a good caller with you when you fly also helps a bunch.

PaulD 10-11-2012 12:57 PM

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

Ok since we are all coming clean here, I have a confession. I chased a bird with my Quad Copter.
I know, I know! PETA probably combs these forums looking for guys like me to take down and take down hard!!
I realize I might have scared the crap out of that black bird and hes probably never going to be able to come near my car again and drop his bombs on it!!
There, its done!! I cant change the past! Ill stick to cutting grass and inhaling dragon flies!
Wait, one more confession, I also chase my dogs with it, but they like it!!
Scott
Next time, attach a dead cat to your quad. The dogs will go craaaaazy! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nniTcqo_PI

PaulD

j.duncker 10-11-2012 05:22 PM

OK Closing this one as we are drifting off topic, possibly into cloudy territory.