RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Cons for installing redundant receiver batteries ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11267425-cons-installing-redundant-receiver-batteries.html)

David Gladwin 10-24-2012 12:47 AM

RE: Cons for installing redundant receiver batteries ?

Goose, doesn't really surprise me that the F16 has so many power supplies, FBW+ no power= no control and I guess some of those backups are designed to cope with battle damage and still get you home, or even stay in the fight !
Sid, entirely agree but I could go further and say even small GT models should have dual batteries. My little Savex L39 with a Wren 44 is so light I can lift it with one finger, but it, too, has twin Rx batteries !Weight gain is insignificant. Its a bit of a tester too, one battery is a Duralite Lithium Ion the other is a Lipo, both seem to discharge at about the same rate. Both feed the Weatronics 8 channel Smart receiver via Mini Hobby Turbo regulators and JR HD switches, and the log shows DEAD stable voltage, 5.4v, on the rx bus.

Just as interest my larger models are all fitted with Weatronics 12-22 receivers for probably the ultimate in secure power supplies:

1. Twin batteries, one main, one standby.
2. Automatic load test of BOTH batteries on EVERY switch on (7amps for .5 second) An audio visual warning is triggered if the volttage drop exceeds the value YOU set, dependant on battery health and capability, on the software.
3. 8 Regulators distributed ober the servo outputs, all rated at 5 amps continuous, very large heatsink.
4. Battery connection is an electronically "latched contactor" so that switch failure/disconnection leaves power connected.
5. Real time audio/visual alert of battery voltage drop/changeover via the telemetry downlink.

Difficult to know how that could be improved on in any significant way. But, never say never, well hardly ever ..... !

Morning coffee finished , back to my SG Hawk.

Regards, (and thank you for your supportive comments , guys, nice to know I am not just a lone voice in the wilderness)

David.

BaldEagel 10-24-2012 03:19 AM

Yeah thanks for your support everyone its nice to know that everyone has followed my lead and are using twin A123's :eek:

Mike :eek::eek:

gooseF22 10-24-2012 11:35 AM

Ok,... Im out of popcorn...

BaldEagel 10-24-2012 01:25 PM

:D

abelard 12-06-2012 09:56 AM

I have been using A123's since they first came out
Possibly not much longer...

http://www.xconomy.com/boston/2012/1...ngle_page=true

BarracudaHockey 12-06-2012 10:03 AM

Nothing to do with our hobby batteries

BlueBus320 12-13-2012 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Goose, doesn't really surprise me that the F16 has so many power supplies, FBW+ no power= no control and I guess some of those backups are designed to cope with battle damage and still get you home, or even stay in the fight !
Sid, entirely agree but I could go further and say even small GT models should have dual batteries. My little Savex L39 with a Wren 44 is so light I can lift it with one finger, but it, too, has twin Rx batteries !Weight gain is insignificant. Its a bit of a tester too, one battery is a Duralite Lithium Ion the other is a Lipo, both seem to discharge at about the same rate. Both feed the Weatronics 8 channel Smart receiver via Mini Hobby Turbo regulators and JR HD switches, and the log shows DEAD stable voltage, 5.4v, on the rx bus.

Just as interest my larger models are all fitted with Weatronics 12-22 receivers for probably the ultimate in secure power supplies:

2. Automatic load test of BOTH batteries on EVERY switch on (7amps for .5 second) An audio visual warning is triggered if the volttage drop exceeds the value YOU set, dependant on battery health and capability, on the software.
3. 8 Regulators distributed ober the servo outputs, all rated at 5 amps continuous, very large heatsink.
4. Battery connection is an electronically ''latched contactor'' so that switch failure/disconnection leaves power connected.
5. Real time audio/visual alert of battery voltage drop/changeover via the telemetry downlink.

Difficult to know how that could be improved on in any significant way. But, never say never, well hardly ever ..... !

Regards, (and thank you for your supportive comments , guys, nice to know I am not just a lone voice in the wilderness)

David.
How did you set up an auto load test on every switch? I'm doing a setup now & would like to set this up. Also, the dual swithch guys with chargeports. Are you charging your batteries inside your models through the charge ports?
thanks

roger.alli 12-13-2012 05:12 PM

ORIGINAL: BlueBus320

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

4. Battery connection is an electronically ''latched contactor'' so that switch failure/disconnection leaves power connected.

David.
How did you set up an auto load test on every switch? I'm doing a setup now & would like to set this up. Also, the dual swithch guys with chargeports. Are you charging your batteries inside your models through the charge ports?
thanks
What David is referring to here (point 2). Every time the receiver is switched on, the Weatronics 12xx receivers do an automatic load test of the batteries. This is a pre programmed function of these receivers.

Roger

BlueBus320 12-13-2012 06:02 PM

oh, ok thanks