RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Minnesota Jet Rally - new location (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11269307-minnesota-jet-rally-new-location.html)

ddennison 10-19-2012 10:34 PM

Minnesota Jet Rally - new location

Hello everyone,

I received an email from the FBO and my good friend Mike at the Rushford airport. Apparently a recent meeting with the dept of aeronautics/dept of transportation with a few people that have a certain uninformed opinion of our event flying at the airport resulted in a requirement that no model flying occur at the airport. I wonder hpw they can limit suav flying?

In any case, we are not able to plan for 2013, perhaps forever again. I am quite disappointed that a few guys that dont know anything can choose to impose these limits on the airport when the town, people and airport commission all have enjoyed and supported the event now for 8 years.

For those 7-10 pilots that have always made it to this event, I hope we can all figure out a few other events to attend together.

Dave

FlyinTiger 10-20-2012 01:39 AM

RE: Minnesota Jet Rally - new location

This is a shame to hear. The last thing we need is community leaders hearing that other communities are choosing to prohibit events at publicly owned places.

It would be interesting to hear why they changed their minds...local full scale pilots complaining?
Are there no model clubs that could host the event in Minnesota in a nearby community? One thing I think is interesting is the number of jet events at full scale airports. What is wrong with the flying field where people fly week in and week out? What about having an event there?

My jet meet experience is limited to one event...so forgive me for asking so many questions. I'm hoping this discussion can bring others in who have had success in running jet events at nice venues.

The First in Flight Jet Rally in North Carolina is held at a municipal airport at the end of a cross runway. The organizers of FF invite the community leadership out every year, present them with a token of appreciation and publicly thank them. The community leaders then have a chance to watch the flying for themselves and see how safe and organized it is for all, including the full scale aircraft operating off of the main runway at the same time as the event.

Good luck...the last thing we need is to lose an event that is attended and a tradition.

ddennison 10-20-2012 04:15 AM

We have had zero problems with full scale, in fact, full scale pilots have flown in to the airport just to observe in some cases.
The FBO has given free airplane rides each year as well to anyone who wanted to go.
It was truly an event with a perfect safety record, well liked by the community and supported by the community. A local dealership even donated the ATV we used every year.

This seems to be the result of a few people that got their way at the MN DOT level.

We have a great local club that has hosted with me and we have our own great field but it is grass.. Most jet events are more successful on runway/Tarmac. We also have another huge club SMMAC that has a 800 foot runway that is "conveyor belt" surface that allows good performance for many jets but is not as flat or long as we enjoyed before at Rushford.

Dave

RSO 10-20-2012 04:28 AM

Dave this is truly dissapointing news, as you know your event has been a "must attend" ever since Lance & I first came a few years back. Uninformed people & politics rears its ugly head yet once again. Do you think the same objection would occur at any other community airport in the state also, or just this one?

Jerry

ddennison 10-20-2012 04:45 AM

Hi Jerry,
I will be looking into this much more in the next few weeks to see what else we might be able to arrange.
Dave

SDIMAIO 10-20-2012 04:56 AM

This is a shame to hear. I recently moved to North Dakota and had this one marked down as a guaranteed event for me. Is there anyway a group of us can fight it? Sign a petition and present statistics of the event boosting the local economy during the event?

ddennison 10-20-2012 05:23 AM

I hope so. I hope to look into the law regarding this to understand if there is a law versus some person's opinion about this..

SDIMAIO - we also usually have an event in Tecumseh, Nebraska in June; Owatonna,MN in August and even FonDuLac, WI in August too...so there are a few options I hope...

We tried the local economy support, community support and airport support type data along with a perfect safety record( observers and 2 VHF sets on)..

The sad thing is this spot is beautiful, perfect to fly at and sees maybe a few planes a day on a super busy day.

Dave

Dr Honda 10-20-2012 05:44 AM

Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope you guys can clear it up.

Is this a problem with new people in power? If so... maybe you can contact the old people to help smooth it over. But then again... maybe is something handed down by the feds. I seem to recall an event I attend use to be able to have the local airport closed to full sized traffic... but last year, they couldn't get the NOTAM. BUT... we were still allowed to fly. (Jut had to monitor traffic, and land as needed)

ddennison 10-20-2012 05:50 AM

Thanks Tony.

My understanding is that you cannot close a single runway airport for model flying essentially. We have never had a closed runway, we have always co-existed with full scale because closing was not an option.

Dave

Roger Shipley 10-20-2012 06:13 AM

Too bad David, I had hoped to clear my calendar to attent your event this year.
Please keep us posted and advise if there is anything we can say or do to resolve the delima? Roger

Mark Basel 10-20-2012 06:23 AM

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: x-small"><span style="font-family: Verdana">Dave, I am really disappointed hearing the jet rally at Rushford may be no more; it is one of my favorite places to fly! I hope you keep fighting for the event and it will happen in 2013. Let me know if I can help.

mb</span></span></div>

stoneenforcer 10-20-2012 11:16 AM

go to the local news paper and city officials and bring this to the towns attenion. simply accepting and letting some yahoo's make a community based decision is none sense. you arent powerless, get smart and address the issue directly.

RSO 10-20-2012 03:33 PM

Dave, Stoneenforcer's above thoughts might just help. Nothing to lose trying is there? Also, how about recruiting Stan's help on this along side the rest of the community. Never know how he might be able to help.

Jerry

DAVAL 10-21-2012 03:56 AM

Hi Dave
We are very sad to hear of the bad news. This has been a great event & we just hope their is some way to save it.
I looked forward every year to Mike's ride in the Fairchild, You go out of your way to make sure its a pilots event.
We have made many new friends there . If there is an thing we can do to help, Please let us know.
Dave

ddennison 10-21-2012 04:56 AM

Thanks Dave.

I will be working on it, not sure what will happen. I will likely make it to FDL this coming year though I think...

Will keep in touch and see you guys sometime soon.

Dave

ddennison 10-21-2012 06:02 AM

I may inquire with my local club about hosting the 2013 event at our field. Before I look into it though I would ask if those that have attended would consider traveling for a grass field. I fly my KC, UB, A10 out of there and We have flown YA F15 and bobcats there as well. Our site is fantastic and close to Rochester, MN and is a 5 minute trip off of 90.

Dave

SDIMAIO 10-21-2012 04:03 PM

I would be a first time attendee and grass would not deter me one bit. Personally I would prefer grass. Have by flying my jets off grass at my last club in PA.

ddennison 10-21-2012 04:54 PM

glad to hear it. I hope the others feel the same. I have not spoken with my club yet but would bet that they woudl be OK with having the event.

just for batting it around, the field can be found at http://www.marionrcflyers.org

Dave

RSO 10-21-2012 05:37 PM

Dave, how long is the runway, is there a smooth runoff at the ends, and are there any approach obstacles from either end? Couldn't tell from the website.

Jerry

ddennison 10-21-2012 06:22 PM

Wide open both ends, the overall length of the e-w is about 2500' and we fly off the central 800.
Pretty smooth but not putting green
I have flown my Kingcat ther a few hundred times, A10 25 flights, UB about 10

ddennison 10-21-2012 06:54 PM

Jerry,

The central length is 675 feet on the E-W runway, with a minimum width of 84 feet. YOu can put this into mapquest for better view -8015 50th St SE, Eyota, MN 55934.

The overun beyond 675 is a little thicker grass.

With the grass on landing the planes tend to stop pretty quickly with little braking and there are no landing lights! We also have a structure there with good shade, electricity and picnic tables and fencing for spectators.

I am thinking this might be more feasible especially given the success of some other events on grass - top gun/Fon du Lac.

Again, I need to review with my club but they had offered last year of things fell through at the last minute.

I would think that kingcat, bobcat, F15, A10, UB, any type of boomerang, electra, and really anything except for a really heavy jet or with many low doors would be fine.
I know this would limit some from coming but unless I something changes it would be a great alternative.

SDIMAIO 10-21-2012 07:19 PM

Dave, and all considering the alternate venue, please look at the pictures from my club from back at home, every year at least 2 jet events are held at this grass field in Hamburg, PA. Bob Violett and the entire BVM crew come up every year and everything from small BVM f-16s to UBs fly without any issues. If the club is on board it should be a great venue.

Here is the link to this years pics from grass field in PA
http://www.farviewflyers.net/untitled4.html

ddennison 10-21-2012 07:31 PM

Thanks, that is encouraging!

I will report back here once I have discussed with my club.

Thank you for posting the link.

Dave

DAVAL 10-22-2012 03:23 AM

Hi Dave.
As you know Fond du Lac is Grass. We have 12 members that fly jets off the grass. Everything from A-10 , BVM F-100 -F-4UB -
Super Bandits, I can go on & onall sizes from small to heavy. I bet if you questioned any of them if they would prefer to fly off grass or a runway with landing lites, they would pick grass.
You can count us in , what ever you find. I will miss the ride on the Fairchild tho.
Dave

ddennison 10-22-2012 03:32 AM

Thanks Dave!
Now if we can just get mike to land the Fairchild at our field!