RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   HOBBYKING - NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11270485-hobbyking-never-again.html)

Rob2160 10-25-2012 04:42 AM

RE: HOBBYKING - NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: do335a

ORIGINAL:
Also by way of example re value: they have a trainer which is a virtual clone of a very well known brand but which is better built and with far better fittings than the name brand.
Price? $74 against $229
This is real simple. Kindly show me the evidence of your claim so that I may believe.

Without being specifric as to what planes these are and what hardware they use, your unproved, anecdotal, subjective claim is just that. It needs proof to have validity. It lacks that when hding behind a wall of anonimity.
This is the Art Tech Spitfire that is sold in a Perth hobby shop for $349 PNP http://www.art-tech.com/english/Arti...?ArticleID=232

This is the HK Spitfire that sells for $69 - they are EXACTLY the same Product...http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11243

$69 vs $349.. sorry.. its a no brainer...

It is an awesome fun little park flyer, mine has over 800 flights and is still going strong..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUr81q8hqpg[/youtube]

Rob2160 10-25-2012 05:04 AM

ORIGINAL: wallace.tharp
Interesting, I have been told by our club's, MKD, "most knowledgable dude," to never trust the orange rcvrs. As stated by me prior, I love the Turnigh Nanos, 5s, 5000 to be exact. I use a 60L Hacker with them in series and a Castle 120 hv, esc. 22 " pop. Killer power and duration. Mix and match eh? Those batteries are about $78 ea. Tower Hobby's nearest lipo that I have found is about $168. Economic sobriety? Not knocking Tower here at all, I buy lots from them and love their customer service. wallace.tharp
I like the MKD... every club has one.. I assume he has his reasons for saying never to trust the Orange RXs...

I have several futaba clone Orange RXs that are Every bit as good as the genuine futaba, for 1/3rd the price...

I personally range and vibration test each and every RX before trying it in an aircraft or helicopter...

All the clones have passed the tests easily.. one of the genuine spektrum RX's failed and I never used. It went into the bin..

Anyway.. one of my Orange RXs from Hobbyking is on a 450 HK helicopter that has LOTS of vibration and I thrash it to the best of my ability every single flight (now over 500 on this heli)

the Orange RX is perfect.. it has never failed...

Here are some vids of those "untrustworthy Orange RXs" (incidently, this heli is 100% Hobbyking).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfXW9vw8Qq8[/youtube]

And here is some range testing with the Orange RX it works perfectly at 2.8 kilometers.... in my opinion and experience.. SUPER trustworthy...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPIWgfgvxAU[/youtube]

topspin 10-25-2012 05:54 AM

ORIGINAL: wallace.tharp

ORIGINAL: RacerPaul15

ORIGINAL: Sessholvlaru

A few of us at our club have gone so far as to suggest that our LHS stocks up on Hobby King batteries, motors, esc's and such and start re-selling them. I would happily pay $25 for a $15 li-po to support the LHS and not wait for shipping. Our suggestions met with laughter, but the LHS is still claiming poverty.

We all know the LHS's are hurting with all the direct-from-China stuff...why not just ride the wave?

A very good idea! A few of my friends began buying HK components from me when I had extras and were happy to pay a few more dollars for shipping and not having to wait 2 to 4 weeks for shipping to the US!

Also the components such as Orange receivers, Satelite recievers, servos, esc's and such were already tested and if any were N G I took the burden of chucking them in the bin or sending back for credit.

In fact, I was encouraged to expand my efforts to stock and test parts for my mates and also have been offering them here in the classified section with some small success. Have a bit of a following of repeat buyers and all seem to be happy with the service!

I'm not taliking big time here... but some find it worth paying a few dollars for the guarantee and availability of having components on hand in days not weeks or months.

I have had no problem returning items for credit, yes it takes weeks and weeks for the credit to show but in the long haul you get something back for the 6 dollar item that costed 2 dollars to send back to China.

LHS types would do well to at least stock Lipo's and motors. There are online websites that mark up HK components for resale in the US... PM me for a few links to US vendors of HK components... And truth be told, besides my classifieds here on RCU, I have a website in progress to carry HK products underway. PM me if you are interested in the link as I don't want to be flamed for shameless promotion! LOL!

Some products such as the new Gyro Stabilizer that HK claims is created in house cannot be found elswhere and have some merit... where else can you get a 3 axis gyro stabilyzer for around $15 plus freight??? ( well freight... t could be a problem).

I agree with previous posts... Foamies, electronic components, lipos and assorted doo dads are a good value from HK, Large items and higher priced stuff... not so much.

Regards
Paul

Interesting, I have been told by our club's, MKD, ''most knowledgable dude,'' to never trust the orange rcvrs. As stated by me prior, I love the Turnigh Nanos, 5s, 5000 to be exact. I use a 60L Hacker with them in series and a Castle 120 hv, esc. 22 '' pop. Killer power and duration. Mix and match eh? Those batteries are about $78 ea. Tower Hobby's nearest lipo that I have found is about $168. Economic sobriety? Not knocking Tower here at all, I buy lots from them and love their customer service. wallace.tharp

The so called Spektrum compatible Orange receivers are actually clones, yes clones. They use the same chips and identical ciruitry of the older DSM2 receivers. The problem with the Orange receivers is that the quality is very sketchy. There have been numerous reports of Orange receivers losing lock in mid flight causing a crash. Like anything from Hobby King you have to buy several to get a good one so is it really a deal? I personally know two guys who use the Orange receivers in a couple of cheap foamies and both say they would never put them in anything woth more than a hundred bucks. Can't argue with that.

Pepperpete 10-25-2012 06:08 AM

I've got 4 of the orange receivers. They work fine but I'm in the same camp. I haven't had a problem but I wouldn't put them in anything except the fun fly foamies either. Just not worth the risk IMO.

Luchnia 10-25-2012 08:15 AM

Rob, I like the fact that you are thorough in your testing. Good job.[8D]

powerjets 10-25-2012 08:47 AM

amazing

Seamus OLeprosy 10-25-2012 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

ORIGINAL: do335a

ORIGINAL:
Also by way of example re value: they have a trainer which is a virtual clone of a very well known brand but which is better built and with far better fittings than the name brand.
Price? $74 against $229
This is real simple. Kindly show me the evidence of your claim so that I may believe.

Without being specifric as to what planes these are and what hardware they use, your unproved, anecdotal, subjective claim is just that. It needs proof to have validity. It lacks that when hding behind a wall of anonimity.
This is the Art Tech Spitfire that is sold in a Perth hobby shop for $349 PNP http://www.art-tech.com/english/Arti...?ArticleID=232

This is the HK Spitfire that sells for $69 - they are EXACTLY the same Product...http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11243

$69 vs $349.. sorry.. its a no brainer...

It is an awesome fun little park flyer, mine has over 800 flights and is still going strong..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUr81q8hqpg[/youtube]

Hey Rob here is mine I went without the wheels.Great planehttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a77W8HIZi9s[/youtube]

BillJohnson 10-25-2012 09:10 AM

ORIGINAL: marc s

So in my world repair would be the best option
That's your world not mine, logistics, packaging, saving money on outer boxes etc is not my problem - I ordered goods in a undamaged condition, its how they are advertised, and that's how I expect them to arrive - period.

If the chances of damage are so high then maybe they should show them pre-damaged on the website then we won't be disappointed!

marcs
So stand on Principle and get all stressed and wound up

or

Just fix it accept reality and move on

Each to their own choice I surppose

madmodelman 10-25-2012 10:14 AM

About time you learned how to spell Dennis.

flazo 10-25-2012 11:21 AM

be Ready to send the plane with your own shipping and you will not get that money back!
they might ask you if you want credit and when you have that credit it may not be there anymore.
Hobby Crucks!!! SuckS!!!

BillJohnson 10-25-2012 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: madmodelman

About time you learned how to spell Dennis.
It's important to you is it, spelling that is. There are some people like that I understand. Perhaps you should spend a sintilating night sorting out your sock drawer

Seamus OLeprosy 10-25-2012 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: flazo

be Ready to send the plane with your own shipping and you will not get that money back!
they might ask you if you want credit and when you have that credit it may not be there anymore.
Hobby Crucks!!! SuckS!!!
Flaxo
You do know Tower require you to pay for the return shipping also?

Jame 10-25-2012 12:54 PM

Threads like this I think are massive downside to this hobby, Marc S has made a series of very high quality products (I have a CAT in my Flash and almost everyone in our local club runs GBR Jet Cat's), he also spends alot of his time posting on this forum with informative manuals and build threads like his SkyGate Hawk Virtual Manual, Im no further toward buying a Skygate Hawk than I am to running for Prime Minister but I like to read his threads and see how one of the best builders in our country designs and makes things, but at times Ive got to wonder with responses like hes recieved on this thread, why would he even bother?? Hes been accused of expecting too much by wanting an item to arrive on his doorstep as advertised, un - damaged and useable, all the way through to wanting to degrade HK in order to advance his own business.

To say that just because an item is cheap, is a valid reason to accept it damaged and un - useable in my mind is rediculous, Ive bought several Lipo's from HK for my foamies and must admit theyre great, but whether they cost £15 or £150, that should never enter the equation, if the item isnt suitable for purpose on arrival, it should be dealt with by the company who sold it. You wouldnt accept it if you were to buy a £2000 composite airframe to find it damaged on arrival and the companies response be either...........a 12 month delay to respond / conclude or even worse say "well what do you expect us to do, theyre half the price of their BVM counterpart" (for example).

Dennis/Big Plumbs/VictoriaP/BillJohnson...........I dont even know who you are, but I bet Im not the only one who gets sick of seeing your poisonous posts on different peoples threads, at the end of the day, I love this hobby and thats all it is for most of us, a hobby, and Im in no way similar to some of the guys on here in respect of the amount of experience and money they have invested in their models, but I own an expensive model, a Comp ARF Flash.......its a toy plane.....be it a very expensive toy plane, its suppose to be a light hearted, fun and thrilling hobby/sport and Il be completely honest, its ruined at times for me by people like yourself. Why would you have a pop at another flyer unless they have instigated a situation, I dont wish to sound ignorant, as I dont know "madmodelman" but I recently saw him fly at Elvington over a weekend event, hes a very good flyer with an impressive collection of jets, he entertained me all weekend with his JL Viper and L39.

Dont understand why people will get so personal with others over a toy plane.

BillJohnson 10-25-2012 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Jame

Dennis/Big Plumbs/VictoriaP/BillJohnson...........I dont even know who you are, but I bet Im not the only one who gets sick of seeing your poisonous posts on different peoples threads, at the end of the day, I love this hobby and thats all it is for most of us, a hobby, and Im in no way similar to some of the guys on here in respect of the amount of experience and money they have invested in their models, but I own an expensive model, a Comp ARF Flash.......its a toy plane.....be it a very expensive toy plane, its suppose to be a light hearted, fun and thrilling hobby/sport and Il be completely honest, its ruined at times for me by people like yourself. Why would you have a pop at another flyer unless they have instigated a situation, I dont wish to sound ignorant, as I dont know "madmodelman" but I recently saw him fly at Elvington over a weekend event, hes a very good flyer with an impressive collection of jets, he entertained me all weekend with his JL Viper and L39.

Dont understand why people will get so personal with others over a toy plane.
If you bothered to read the thread it was modelman who had the pop at me first over spelling look back and you will see. I also donot know who Modelman is but as I said look back and see who popped first. If you feel the need to have a pop at me please try and be accurate.

If you ask around you willfind outthat I have also done many build threads (I have lost count of how many) on several jets and indeed prop planes.

Also I like others are quite entitled to our opinion and to post our view of Hobby King as much as anyone else. If like Marcs has done you post your views in a public forum you must as I think Marc does expect people to reply.

If you are sick of seeing any persons post might I suggest you pass over them or use the block button it is your choice.

Enjoy your toys anf flying as much as I do

wallace.tharp 10-25-2012 04:03 PM

Rob 2160: Your 173 post was right on. Nothing quite like real experience to back up your facts. Is true, I had one AR 6000 rx take a dump the other day on my beautiful PA, Extra-260. It is possible that I "Dumb Thumbed it," but I don't think so. Nothing seemed wrong after an inverted spin but ater a gentle recovery it just kept very slowly rolling and the nose would not come up. I had about 200 plus flights on it. I know I should have range checked it a little more often. I will try your advice on testing out the orange rx prior to use. One thing I do worry aboutwith the Chinese, they are known to have teams of people salvage computer parts from junked elecrtronics I sell them as new. The USAF whom I work for has had a few little problems with this. I was in Aus in 1987 and the wife and I just loved it! Regards, wallace.tharp

skippy7399 10-25-2012 05:20 PM

I realized after placing the post I might offend some people. That's not what I wanted to do. Some people don't live anywhere near a hobby shop, having only Hobbyking or other online places as an option to purchase hobby suplies. I deal with people all the time that purchase from Hobbyking, their good people, and I can't blame them for buying cheaper to save a few bucks. On the other hand, purchasing batteries and other hobby items make it harder for local shops, like the one I work for to compete for sales. Ultimately this cause many hobby shops to close. Think about that the next time you visit a hobby shop and complain that there isn't one nearer you.

flying klown 10-25-2012 08:40 PM

Understand how you feel. I called China and they called me back a few nights later. They took care of me. This was before they had an American presence. I know it is frustrating try calling China I did and got results!

Rob2160 10-25-2012 11:33 PM

ORIGINAL: topspin

Like anything from Hobby King you have to buy several to get a good one so is it really a deal?
That is quite a generalization. . . Have you bought everything Hobbyking sells.?

Do you have specific examples to support that claim?

my experience is very different.. I have purchased over 400 individual items from HK and only 1 battery was DOA.

that is a 99.75% success rate with Hobbyking and far better than my Hobbyshop experiences which is around 90% good...

<br type="_moz" />

Rob2160 10-25-2012 11:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Seamus OLeprosy

I went without the wheels.Great planehttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a77W8HIZi9s[/youtube]

yes I took the wheels off mine a few months ago. It flies even better!
<br type="_moz" />

marc s 10-25-2012 11:44 PM

Jame, appreciate your kind comments and glad the CAT's are popular ;)

Honestly I was hoping for some advise or help, I expected all the 'normal junk' to appear but hopefully reading between the lines would provide some positive options. I was PM'd very soon after my original post with an offer of help so actually its done the trick, now its just turned into the normal debate and I hope it will move off into the archives very soon.

marcs

madmodelman 10-26-2012 12:47 AM

Jame, thanks for the compliment, made an old man feel quite chuffed, especially when it came from a young "hot" Flash pilot, you ain't so bad yourself!

Hope you get it sorted Marc,

Regards,
Gary.

Seamus OLeprosy 10-26-2012 03:10 AM

ORIGINAL: topspin

Like anything from Hobby King you have to buy several to get a good one so is it really a deal?
That is quite a generalization. . . Have you bought everything Hobbyking sells.?

Do you have specific examples to support that claim?

my experience is very different.. I have purchased over 400 individual items from HK and only 1 battery was DOA.

that is a 99.75% success rate with Hobbyking and far better than my Hobbyshop experiences which is around 90% good...

Topspin once told me the ASP engines HK sell are special lower quality version compared to the ones others retailers sell.
I fear his version of the truth may have a slight bias to it.

tejician1 10-26-2012 06:21 AM

I read carefully the online catalog & ordered two 2.4 Ghz modification sets (TX modules & Rcvrs) from Hobbyking.... neither set worked. Took modules & rcvrs to a well respected electronic tech who immediately declared them POS and told me to get my money back....I tried several times to contact someone at Hobbyking...No Dice !!!...Out of much frustration I put them in a cabinet drawer and forgot about them...Biggest waste of money, time and energy I've ever experienced....I will never purchase anything from Hobbyking again !!!! I've informed many modelers in my area and AMA District about Hobbyking's very inferior merchandise and service..

w0mbat 10-26-2012 06:21 AM

You got extremely luck then! We have been importing from China for a long time and everything we import has at least a 10% defect rate (and that's from the best manufacturers). I have tested some of the same products that Hobby King sells and the defect rate is very high on the testing samples. I would hate to see the actual production product! I very much doubt that Hobby King or other resellers are testing each product and doing any type of quality control.

Also, if you are buying defective items from your local hobby shop, then you should buy elsewhere because that shop is either selling untested junk in order to make an easy buck or they are not doing their job!

EKIMRIS 10-26-2012 06:51 AM

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

The problem is we live in a now society, when we want something and go to our local hobby shop they inevitably do not have it in stock, its so much easier to order it online and get it delivered the next day, this is a definitive need in our quest for instant gratification.

Mike
I wouldnt say they are all that bad, even I have never bought anything from them. Not out of my personal persuation, but out of the simple fact that they do not deliver to the country I am living at right now, China. There is a chinese version of Ebay, which I buy my supplies on, and I normally can get anything here. Hobbyking is still cheaper in most cases and I wonder whats the story behind it. That version of ebay here I like a lot more than Ebay, as they hold the funds by default in escrow, making sure you are happy with your goods before the seller receives.

I just wonder how all oversee the high shipping rates. Be that as it may, I am surely not happy to buy a turbine with a company that has no service staff on ground. And I mean service staff, a warehouse that lets you check goods is one thing, but you can be sure as ... that you wont find anyone in that warehouse that is up to date and aware of all products on sale - out of default.

And remember - those people that did take efforts in changing the products - the business - did get paid off at the time. Hobbyking is virtually copying any good product. Just imagine what would happen to our pc-like smartphones if some bugger sold them at cost plus 30% at the most. We would be still using large and heavy brick phones. Development needs investment and that can only be available if the prior product did generate the funds necessary. Do not expect that hobbyking will have some groundbreaking new product coming along ever.

Besides of having a turbine shipped around the world for maintenance (and even the really to ones require that each 50 hours) and their surely shorter maintenance period, I just have a good laugh at even being mentioned. There are few people that can afford such a large sized model. Those who can are happy to spend extra money on things like landing gears that do have a brake or on redundant receiver systems. Or other things that they are happy to. Who is going to buy a Ferrari and then have a trailer hook installed?

Never mind, I dont give a ... about their turbines anyway, because they dont ship here.

<br type="_moz" />