RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   ELECTRO-BRAKES - update (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11277564-electro-brakes-update.html)

marc s 10-27-2012 06:41 AM

ELECTRO-BRAKES - update

1 Attachment(s)
Since the 'official' launch of 'Electro-Brakes' from GBRJET at Jetpower 2012 I wanted to give a quick update on progress so far.

The 'Electro-Brakes' are designed to replace pneumatic brakes and are made to order to fit 'most' jet wheel/gear combo's, this is where we differ from others in that clients with jets already running pneumatic brakes who want to change to electric can without having to use retracts made by a specific company etc. We can work with most gear systems but occasionally there are some which we cannot adapt.

Information and pricing will be uploaded on my site over the weekend.

We have made sets so far for Bandits, Lightnings, a scratch built large SR71, and most recently a 3.78M Tomahawk Viper with large gear!

The ECU which drives our brakes is fully user programmable, brake mode (pulsed or proportional), strength and status via 6 LED's. It can be software updated and will run on voltages up to 14v.

Pictured is the latest brake conversion for the very large Viper, where we retained the 'cosmetic' polished disc and only needed to add 2mm to the distance of the wheel from the leg in order to fit our brake units.

marcs

FlyinTiger 10-27-2012 07:20 AM

RE: ELECTRO-BRAKES - update

Looks like a simple and solid set up. Is this magnetic? Please describe for us how this system works.
What is the amp draw/requirement for a typical taxi out and full stop landing?

Thanks!

schroedm 10-27-2012 07:33 AM

Looks great Marc! When do you want the other leg!!!?

marc s 10-27-2012 07:35 AM

Mark, it will take you 2 minutes to install the second unit ;)

marcs

FMRR 10-28-2012 05:55 AM

Looks good ,like the direction electric brakes are going.I have a few questions.

1- Does the control unit have touch down protection and anti skid ?

2- Can you replace the friction surfaces when they wear out?

3- Does the brake dust (Metal) stay out of the wheel bearings and or inter fear with the braking (sticking brakes) ?

4- Do I have to send you my gear to get them fitted ?

marc s 10-28-2012 06:22 AM

FMRR in answer to your questions:

1 - There is a 'pulsed' option on the user selected programs in varying wave forms to give a type of anti skid but its by no means an ABS system with sensors on wheels etc - this would require much more involved electronics, rotation detectors etc. Whilst on larger models this is certainly possible I doubt people would pay the money it would cost to develop and manufacture.

2 - We don't anticipate wearing out the friction surfaces, not in the normal run of duty, considering the time the brakes are on verses say a car then the usage is a fraction of this. If you do need more then we can make them as we would have drawings to work from.

3 - Any brake dust or for that matter dust and grim from the outside will need to be periodically cleaned out - its simple and easy to do as the system is not complex.

4 - Yes one set of gear unless we have made brake sfor that exact wheel/leg combo - which currently is unlikely considering how many permutations are possible ;) Turnaround if you wanted to know is approx 2 weeks.

marcs

extra 300 10-28-2012 09:23 AM

Marc s,

Did you already work on the Skymaster large viper jet (2.5 meters) landing gear or the Feibo F-15E 1/7 scale gear?

Thanks
Regards,

Dr Honda 10-28-2012 10:15 AM

Marc....

Addressing #1: I totally agree that the brakes don't need to be that advanced for an RC aircraft... but since you changed the brake disk, and it now has "Lobes" in it. You could have a simple secondary coil in magnet ring to read the EFM from the lobes. (Like a reluctor system) You could share a ground... and it would only require one more wire to work. (and a software change)

Just a thought.

marc s 10-28-2012 10:49 AM

Extra, no we have not worked with either of these kits, its only been a few months since the launch so it will take time to cover the hundreds of kits out there. If you need electric brakes then you would have to send one set over to me - sorry.

Tony, the lobes on these brakes are to locate in the wheel 'spokes' to deliver the braking force to the wheel, yes I am sure its possible but as each wheel and disc combo is different the actual process even if the software was in place would result in a lot of extra work for each brake set made - when a demand presents itself, and I get loads of PM's asking I will look at it seriously. For now a proportional or pulsed option with power settings and mode changing programmable by the user offers a good level of sophistication for a reasonable price.

Appreciate the advise and ideas as always.

marcs

REDBULL FRANCE 10-28-2012 02:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Marc,

The brakes will they Behotec on ​​legs like this?

marc s 10-28-2012 03:01 PM

Sure depends on the wheel too but cannot see why this would not work.

PM me if you want to know more and details of costs etc.

marcs

Dr Honda 10-28-2012 03:26 PM

OK... got it. I was thinking they were facing the magnet. They look nice.

FMRR 10-29-2012 05:44 AM

marcs
Thanks, So if I am understanding you correctly.I can have direct control of the brakes (Modulation) or set it to Auto pulse modulation. I have a DV8R I like to try them on at this stage of development. Two week turn time is great.Can you do the conversion on the DV8R gear and at what cost? You can PM me if you like.

marc s 10-29-2012 06:34 AM

Both the proportional and pulsed modes require the user to input the braking command via a slider or switch on the Tx, the pulsed mode may be user selectable between around 15 different modes making it easy to select a mode to suit the jet and flying surface conditions.

Price for the full brake system (two custom made main brakes for main gear and the electronic controller, cables and manual) for jets from 1M - 2M span is £169, 2M - 2.5M £189 and 2.5M + £219. These rates are for 'standard' type conversions where our typical design will fit once drawn to suit the gear/leg, where a more complex design is required additional development charges will occur. Shipping charge for completed items is in addition to these costs and subject to destination country.

There is no reason why a set of gear for the DV8R is not possible, but as with all our work we require one wheel and leg to be sent to us from which we will evaluate the brake option, provide a final quote and then return along with the final brake system.

Hope this helps.

marcs

i3dm 11-06-2012 05:12 AM

Marc,

For my Tuono i should send you one strut + one wheel and thats it ?

Also, how long will it take to manufacture a set ? and will this be the 2.0-2.5M size ?
This jet is 2.5M but it carries a P-200 and 7L of fuel :)

marc s 11-06-2012 09:56 AM

Lior yes one strut and one wheel complete is all we need.

It should be the 2-2.5M price point but if there are complications and complex machining I will advise beforehand.

PM me if you need address details.

marcs

marc s 11-06-2012 10:11 AM

Sorry around 2 weeks turnaround for timing.

marcs

i3dm 11-06-2012 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics of the Tuono wheels:

marc s 11-18-2012 02:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More updates, latest Electro-Brakes for a small Eurofighter (being built by Henke from this forum) - he wanted just a single nose wheel brake rather than mains so we worked with his small gear to create this new Electro-Brake system which will give him exactly what he needed.

Being a nose wheel and using a 'fork' designed leg it was a tight fit but with a clever stepped disc the resulting system was made to fit in the space we had available.

New projects are a large turbine heli, still working to get a solution for the large TH Hawk (which has scale wheels), a Futura and Tuono gear sets are on route to us too. Will post more as they are completed.

marcs

Boomerang1 11-18-2012 02:54 AM

Marc, I mostly fly smaller jets from grass so I use wire legs on most of them.

Most of the pics so far are to suit struts. Can your brakes be made to fit wire legs?

I think I saw somewhere that the Electro-Brakes will operate of a 2 cell lipo ECU battery, correct?

Thanks, John.

marc s 11-18-2012 05:49 AM

Should be able to make then to fit wire legs, its more dependent on the space in the hub of the wheel and yes they work on 2s (any voltage up to 14v max)

marcs

Henke Torphammar 11-20-2012 10:25 AM

ORIGINAL: marc s

Being a nose wheel and using a 'fork' designed leg it was a tight fit but with a clever stepped disc the resulting system was made to fit in the space we had available.

marcs

Looks super!! Turn around time for my unit was just over 2 weeks(12 working days to be exact) which is just about what I was promised, that too is very good as this isn't a shelf unit but a custom solution.

Looking forward to reciveing the parts :-)

marc s 03-11-2013 12:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Following on from the last post we have been busy with Electro-Brakes and the diversity of jets we are making Electro-Brakes for keeps growing.

- Scratch built 1/5 scale Venom
- 2.5M Viper Jet
- Comp ARF 2.6M Tutor (2 sets)
- Scratch built (part reeves kit) Hunter which will be at the WJM event
- Boomerang Sprint

We are just starting a 'semi-scale' set for a Comp ARF Hawk which we have had lots of enquiries over so once done we will be able to produce these without the need to have a customer supply the wheel/leg for measurements.

There are a growing number of electric brakes being launched, at GBRJET we have been making Electro-Brakes for over a year (fully proportional and with 15 'pulsed options') and our uniqueness is that we make Electro-Brakes to fit ANY* wheel/gear combination so you don't have to buy a limited range of products to get proportional electric brakes and if you have a pneumatic braked jet and want to convert to electric we can usually do this without any problems.

(* subject to the wheel/gear being suitable for conversion)

We have had one set of gear that was not possible to convert but the client was able to take our suggestion to change the wheels to a different make and now he has Electro-Brakes.

Pictured is the Comp ARF Tutor conversion (standard strut with Behotec wheel combination)

marcs

extra 300 03-11-2013 02:49 AM

ORIGINAL: marc s

Following on from the last post we have been busy with Electro-Brakes and the diversity of jets we are making Electro-Brakes for keeps growing.

- 2.5M Viper Jet

Marcs,

Could these be for the Skymaster Large Viperjet?

Thanks,

marc s 03-11-2013 10:38 AM

Extra it was a Skygate Viper so not sure if the gear is exactly the same.

marcs

mr_matt 03-11-2013 10:41 AM

Hi Marc,

Will these fit inside the wheel in all cases (like a BVM 3" sport wheel)?

Or does it have some minimum operating depth that might make the axle longer?

Zagzoo 03-11-2013 10:47 AM

Have you done any FEJ F15 1/7 yet?

marc s 03-11-2013 11:32 AM

Matt, our brakes are custom made to fit each wheel/leg exactly, the coil size depends on the aircraft size and relation of the brake to wheel diameter - naturally depth is also a factor.

In essence as long as we have around 8mm + depth to work with we can normally get brakes into wheels and made to give very strong braking at full power.

Zagzoo, no not yet.

marcs

Zagzoo 03-11-2013 02:42 PM

So what would be the lead time me sending the strut and wheel from the usa to you and back?

thanks

marc s 03-11-2013 03:27 PM

Once we have it around 10 working days plus transit time back to you.

marcs

marc s 04-28-2013 01:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been a bit lapse in posting the GBRJET Electro-Brake updates but here are a few recent additions to the growing family..............

CARF Hawk 'sports' gear (pic attached)

Shulman Aviation 'Shockwave' (pic attached)

Boomerang Sprint

CARF Tutor

marcs