RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Another Fly Eagle F-14 Tomcat (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11279554-another-fly-eagle-f-14-tomcat.html)

JackD 10-29-2012 12:50 PM

RE: Another Fly Eagle F-14 Tomcat

ORIGINAL: dubd

ORIGINAL: JackD

Raffi,

why don't you add weight on the wingtips? That way, the CG will move back when you sweep them back.

just a thought

And dantley: congrats on the maiden, too bad i could not make it. Are you bringing it to Lodi this weekend? bring the f14 and f100!!!!! (you should sell everything else haha)

Jack
Now you want me to bring the F-14!! :D You want me to bring my F-100, but you're going to bring yours???
Haha... F100 will be taking a break. bringing the Rafale (I need a toy hauler to be able to bring both of them haha)

So, what are you bringing?

dubd 10-29-2012 01:07 PM

F-100 and maybe the F-14 if I get a chance to go through it before the event.

jetpilot 10-29-2012 02:28 PM

Nice job Dantley!
Scott

Wap4life 10-29-2012 02:30 PM

Good job Dub. 

dubd 10-29-2012 02:34 PM

Thx Scott and Warren!

David Jackson 10-29-2012 08:27 PM

Congrats on your maiden flight. Enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing.[8D]

dubd 10-29-2012 08:48 PM

Thanks, David!

dubd 10-29-2012 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Joe C

Congrats Dantley on your maiden!!!
Thanks, Joe!

Wap4life 10-30-2012 05:05 AM

I forgot to mentioned dub, i luv the music at the end :).

Did you cg at the front metal bar?

dubd 10-30-2012 06:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Wap4life

I forgot to mentioned dub, i luv the music at the end :).

Did you cg at the front metal bar?

:)

CG is at the front of the bar. It feels slightly nose heavy right now.

k_sonn 10-30-2012 08:08 AM

Congrats Dantley.  Looks like it flew great.  Did you guys get a weight of the airframe and gear before the build?

Kirk

Doug Cronkhite 10-30-2012 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Ali

Its already a tad roll touchy. I dont think adding weight on the tips will make this any better [X(]
Yes there is a C of G shift when the wings go back, and yes its noticeable, but noting unworkable. I still had enough elev to pull up vertical with ease and do that wing swing that Rav liked so much ;) Gotta admit, it did look pretty sweet ( I almost wanted an F-14 for a moment there )
Regards Al
Actually Ali that should help by adding inertia in roll. Putting weight in the tips will also help the CG shift when you sweep the wings.

dbsonic 10-30-2012 11:54 AM

I was going to say sweeping the wings back should decrease the moment of inertia as compared to when wings are extended and should make it more roll sensitive and roll "better". The F14 is a fascinating aircraft. Congrats Dantley. Its a winner.

dubd 10-30-2012 06:45 PM

I don't like complicating things, so I won't be adding weight to the wing tips as raffy is suggesting. Nor will I have worms traveling through holes as Jack suggested. ;) I did tone down my roll travel, so we'll see if I tamed her down. Looking forward to flying the Tomcat again!!

dubd 10-30-2012 06:48 PM

I don't like complicating things, so I won't be adding weight to the wing tips as raffy is suggesting. Nor will I have weight carrying worms traveling through holes as Jack suggested. ;) I did tone down my roll travel, so we'll see if I tamed her down. Looking forward to flying the Tomcat again!!

JackD 10-30-2012 07:02 PM

I don't like complicating things, so I won't be adding weight to the wing tips as raffy is suggesting. Nor will I have worms traveling through holes as Jack suggested. ;) I did tone down my roll travel, so we'll see if I tamed her down. Looking forward to flying the Tomcat again!!
No... i did not suggest the weight on a worm or anything like that.... if you want the cg to move back when you retract the wings, just put weight on the wing tips... that would be a very simple and easy way to keep the cg in the right place without any mechanical devices...

I hate complications haha

Doug Cronkhite 10-31-2012 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: dbsonic

I was going to say sweeping the wings back should decrease the moment of inertia as compared to when wings are extended and should make it more roll sensitive and roll ''better''. The F14 is a fascinating aircraft. Congrats Dantley. Its a winner.
Correct. That's exactly what happens.

Chris Nicastro 10-31-2012 09:32 PM

On these new F-14's , SM, FEJ, have they set the wing king pin angle forward to change incidence and compensate for CG shift as the wings sweep back?

ravill 11-01-2012 01:41 PM

I didn't suggest wingtip weights! :D

But I am suggesting moving the CG. And I'm going to try doing that.

And yes, Ali made it look the best of all the 14's I saw fly. And he is one of two of the top notch pilots IN. THE. WORLD.

I, am one of one, of the WORST pilots in the world. ;)

I don't want to be just "getting away" with flying an F-14! :D

EDFJim 11-01-2012 02:14 PM

I don't recommend wingtip weights at all .. that's a lot of mass that will effect roll control and can put a lot of stress on wing sweep on a hard landing... congrads on a great first flights !!

Ali 11-01-2012 02:16 PM

Ahhhh You say the sweetest things ;)

Jack Diaz 11-01-2012 03:33 PM

Dantley, Raffi and Ali:
Come on guys, too many theories and too much crying......:D:D:D

Why don't you guys ask Jim Curtis how to fly the F-14 ???
I am sure he can share his secrets.... he folds those wings at low speed, at high speed, at stall speed, inverted, going up, going down, hovering, etc etc. :D
He doesn't even need fuel !!! He makes it look sooo easy !!!

Dantley: congratulations ! Hope you enjoy her for a long time.

Jack

dubd 11-01-2012 07:52 PM

Jim, thanks for the help at BITW.

Jack, I'm taking Jim's lead and will fly her without adding weight, buying earth worms, or performing rain dances. :D

FEJKEN 11-05-2012 05:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another F14.

After a long time waiting fro the engines (two JB165), this F14 cartoon scheme finally got into air now.

video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAemBWAX7Ys

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAemBWAX7Ys[/youtube]

Thanks
Ken

ravill 11-05-2012 10:38 AM

Um, I don't know what to say?!

Maybe, Congrats!!:D