RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   New DX18QQ Quique S edition (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11298119-new-dx18qq-quique-s-edition.html)

ramoooo 11-19-2012 11:03 AM

RE: New DX18QQ Quique S edition

does anyone know if the DX18QQ has 4 servos for the elevator ?
I really would like to have the 6 servo ailerons so I dont have to usematchboxes.

I also bought the DX18 a month ago and would like the software update. if they have just released them togther then people wouldnt complain and they can upgrade both together but still having the DX18QQ with the coolnew features ( not the programming ones ) . like sound, signiture, and stuff.

Tom Antlfinger 11-19-2012 11:20 AM

O.K. Tom........Bob-O can confirm Jane and I are not Commies:D

But here is another zinger for you red wing Texans......

I am currently in Grand Cayman looking for Mitt....hope to get some tax loophole tips from the master......:D

From the beach......TA and Cookie Jane

By the way, can't let Bob-O get ahead of me.......QQ joining my DX-18 when I get home......

PropsnWings 11-19-2012 11:44 AM

I see reports coming in about the switches not being high quality and having a sloppy feel to them.<div>
</div><div>here is one post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23308989&amp;postcount=370</div>

bcovish 11-19-2012 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Tom Antlfinger

O.K. Tom........Bob-O can confirm Jane and I are not Commies:D

But here is another zinger for you red wing Texans......

I am currently in Grand Cayman looking for Mitt....hope to get some tax loophole tips from the master......:D

From the beach......TA and Cookie Jane

By the way, can't let Bob-O get ahead of me.......QQ joining my DX-18 when I get home......
Hold on a minute there Tom. The last time I vouched for someone I ended up in court.

Hope you find Mitt. Enjoy the beach.

You don't have any worry about me getting ahead of you. I'm stickin' wit da DX18. Can I have your old outdated 18. Before you send it to me, please take a marker and put your signature on it At least I'll the only one with your signature on it unlike the rest of you 2000 other folks with QQ signature.

GerKonig 11-19-2012 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

FUTABA is your friend ;)

REALLY? They're not the friend of anyone who bought a 14mz two weeks ago at $2399 and now it's $1599. Or the guy who bought 12z @ $1599 and now it's $1099.

Mike

So now we complain because prices go down? Next what, will we complain because we are alive? Your comment makes no sense...

Gerry
Nobody's complaining Gerry,

The premise of this thread is that people are upset that Horizon has come out with a better ''package'' on the DX18, when many people had already purchased the radio. Some people feel they have been ''shafted'' after trusting Horizon. Fender suggested Futaba wouldn't do this. I pointed out that they are in fact no different as people who trusted Futaba are likely to feel shafted that the company has dropped it's prices right after they purchased. Why does that not make any sense to you?

I persoanlly don't care what the price is, I'm not interested in either of these two brands. It was a simple comparison to show brand F's regard for the customer is no different /better/ worse then Brand S. I don't plan to berate the point as Fender pointed out his comment was in jest anyway.

Mike

I am sure it happened to us one time or another. 15 years ago or so I purchased a Laser printer for my office . It was a HP III, great printer. 90 days later, the HP IV came out. Faster, better, cheaper...

People bought the Nikon 5000, and 3100 before the 5100 and 3200 came out, etc...

The truth of the fact is that this is a standard commercial practice, period. Not something exclusive of brand A, F, or S... Any of these could come out with a new radio anytime. One that has bigger range, or that vibrates, honks, and slaps you when you are not careful. Maybe a radio that makes fun of ya' if you crash (it builds character)... Or that talks back to keep you on your toes... Most of the manufacturing companies I work for have manuals that state that specifications might change w/o prior warning because they are always improving their offerings.
And really, most do:-)

Gerry

PropsnWings 11-19-2012 01:16 PM

FUTABA is your friend ;)

REALLY? They're not the friend of anyone who bought a 14mz two weeks ago at $2399 and now it's $1599. Or the guy who bought 12z @ $1599 and now it's $1099.

Mike

So now we complain because prices go down? Next what, will we complain because we are alive? Your comment makes no sense...

Gerry

The premise of this thread is that people are upset that Horizon has come out with a better ''package'' on the DX18, when many people had already purchased the radio. Some people feel they have been ''shafted'' after trusting Horizon. Fender suggested Futaba wouldn't do this. I pointed out that they are in fact no different as people who trusted Futaba are likely to feel shafted that the company has dropped it's prices right after they purchased. Why does that not make any sense to you?

I persoanlly don't care what the price is, I'm not interested in either of these two brands. It was a simple comparison to show brand F's regard for the customer is no different /better/ worse then Brand S. I don't plan to berate the point as Fender pointed out his comment was in jest anyway.

Mike

I am sure it happened to us one time or another. 15 years ago or so I purchased a Laser printer for my office . It was a HP III, great printer. 90 days later, the HP IV came out. Faster, better, cheaper...

People bought the Nikon 5000, and 3100 before the 5100 and 3200 came out, etc...

The truth of the fact is that this is a standard commercial practice, period. Not something exclusive of brand A, F, or S... Any of these could come out with a new radio anytime. One that has bigger range, or that vibrates, honks, and slaps you when you are not careful. Maybe a radio that makes fun of ya' if you crash (it builds character)... Or that talks back to keep you on your toes... Most of the manufacturing companies I work for have manuals that state that specifications might change w/o prior warning because they are always improving their offerings.

Gerry

I think you missed the point that it was not a new product, but a new package on the existing product. Now say that HP III a few months became HP IIIa, then, yes similar.

This is not standard commercail practice at least for RC Transmitters, as far as I know this an industry first to offer a transmitter in this way. I am just waiting to see what Futaba is going to do, and watch the turmoil on that one as well.

<br type="_moz" />

Gixxy 11-19-2012 02:47 PM

I'd have to imagine someone can simply offer a hacked version of the QQ software update to install on the standard 18. Hell I'd even pay $5 for the stupid software update that should be free. That's all it is is a simple update to improve the usability of the radio. They should change their promotion videos that say "pro class" to something like "the identical radio with software that just wasn't quite right for our pro, suckers !!!!" I like my 18 but always thought it was just stupid I had to shut it off the change my telemetry settings. Which means for safety sake I always power off my aircraft first. Does it ruin my day no lol. But does knowing that the simple issues have been addressed and that I can't have them even though it can simply be done tick me off a bit. Of course :)

Thomas B 11-19-2012 03:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Jack Diaz

Thomas, do you mean something like this ? :D:D

BTW the switches are my experiment with dual rates. They did not exist.

Er.....not exactly....:) I meant a real and genuine Kraft Signature Series, not a home made wannabe version....:)

Jack Diaz 11-19-2012 04:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Thomas B

ORIGINAL: Jack Diaz

Thomas, do you mean something like this ? :D:D

BTW the switches are my experiment with dual rates. They did not exist.

Er.....not exactly....:) I meant a real and genuine Kraft Signature Series, not a home made wannabe version....:)

:D:D

Jack

GerKonig 11-19-2012 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: PropsnWings

FUTABA is your friend ;)

Mike

Gerry

Mike

Gerry

I think you missed the point that it was not a new product, but a new package on the existing product. Now say that HP III a few months became HP IIIa, then, yes similar.

This is not standard commercail practice at least for RC Transmitters, as far as I know this an industry first to offer a transmitter in this way. I am just waiting to see what Futaba is going to do, and watch the turmoil on that one as well.

<br type=''_moz'' />

No, you keep missing the point. It is the same as I getting upset when I got the Ford Explorer SUV (years ago), because short time after they came out with the Eddie Bauer Explorer version.

And yes, maybe you are right, it is the first RC hardware that offers a QS. Mooney aircraft offered once a Mooney airplane "Ferrari" version. It had upgrades on the base version. Beechcraft did something similar once on their Bonanza.

If people reacts in a fierce way, and all go to Futaba, they will keep it in mid for the future. If not, life goes on... It is a very common marketing ploy. If it does backfire, they will not repeat this.

I remember once a nitro engine was offered under the "Hanno Prettner" name... (Like a better version).

And no, apparently it is not just a new package, they improved the transmitter with a bunch of functions the other does NOT have (hence the whine)

Gerry

PropsnWings 11-19-2012 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: PropsnWings

FUTABA is your friend ;)

Mike

Gerry

Mike

Gerry

<br type="" />

No, you keep missing the point. It is the same as I getting upset when I got the Ford Explorer SUV (years ago), because short time after they came out with the Eddie Bauer Explorer version.

And yes, maybe you are right, it is the first RC hardware that offers a QS. Mooney aircraft offered once a Mooney airplane "Ferrari" version. It had upgrades on the base version. Beechcraft did something similar once on their Bonanza.

If people reacts in a fierce way, and all go to Futaba, they will keep it in mid for the future. If not, life goes on... It is a very common marketing ploy. If it does backfire, they will not repeat this.

I remember once a nitro engine was offered under the "Hanno Prettner" name... (Like a better version).

And no, apparently it is not just a new package, they improved the transmitter with a bunch of functions the other does NOT have (hence the whine)

Gerry

Further speaking with those that got theirs today, I think to say "a bunch of functions the other does not have" is not correct. Seems the software differences are more convenience as the DX18 can do anything the DX18QQ can. Other than the rubber tipped switches (which seem to be being reported to be possibly lower quality) and the redesigned gimbals, its just a tribute package overall. So in essence no it was not released as nor is it a replacement as THE flagship transmitter, but rather when compared side by side, they are both capable transmitters. I do not consider sound options that one can do, and the other cannot, options that make one better than the other.

This was intended as a tribute to Q.S. not as a replacement or new product to replace the top tiered product. Its a lateral move when going to the DX18QQ, with the addtion of swag, signature items, RX, X-pander, case... etc.

thats my take on it, speaking to several that got theirs today. I own the DX18 and think either are nice to own, and neither is better than the other.
<br type="_moz" />

Frank Ts Stuff 11-19-2012 08:46 PM

[/quote]

Further speaking with those that got theirs today, I think to say ''a bunch of functions the other does not have'' is not correct. Seems the software differences are more convenience as the DX18 can do anything the DX18QQ can. Other than the rubber tipped switches (which seem to be being reported to be possibly lower quality) and the redesigned gimbals, its just a tribute package overall. So in essence no it was not released as nor is it a replacement as THE flagship transmitter, but rather when compared side by side, they are both capable transmitters. I do not consider sound options that one can do, and the other cannot, options that make one better than the other.

This was intended as a tribute to Q.S. not as a replacement or new product to replace the top tiered product. Its a lateral move when going to the DX18QQ, with the addtion of swag, signature items, RX, X-pander, case... etc.

thats my take on it, speaking to several that got theirs today. I own the DX18 and think either are nice to own, and neither is better than the other.
<br type=''_moz'' />
[/quote]

Sorry, the statement that "neither is better than the other" is incorrect. Maybe you did not read the rest of the posts on the thread (sorry, couldn't resist the zing ;-)). There are PROGRAMMING IMPROVEMENTS being offered with the QQ radio. For me personally, the largest PROGRAMMING IMPROVEMENT is not having to turn the radio off every time I want to access critical menus. For jet guys, the throttle cut-off deal seems to be desired. Another is half step increments when adjusting your servos. Who doesn't want better resolution wherever possible? I am still hoping Horizon will change their position on this over time. Perhaps there is a true hardware reason they can't do it? This was not indicated to me when speaking with Horizon, care to chime in any rep's out there?

-Sean Curry

PropsnWings 11-19-2012 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Frank Ts Stuff

Further speaking with those that got theirs today, I think to say ''a bunch of functions the other does not have'' is not correct. Seems the software differences are more convenience as the DX18 can do anything the DX18QQ can. Other than the rubber tipped switches (which seem to be being reported to be possibly lower quality) and the redesigned gimbals, its just a tribute package overall. So in essence no it was not released as nor is it a replacement as THE flagship transmitter, but rather when compared side by side, they are both capable transmitters. I do not consider sound options that one can do, and the other cannot, options that make one better than the other.

<br type="" />
[/quote]

Sorry, the statement that "neither is better than the other" is incorrect. Maybe you did not read the rest of the posts on the thread (sorry, couldn't resist the zing ;-)). There are PROGRAMMING IMPROVEMENTS being offered with the QQ radio. For me personally, the largest PROGRAMMING IMPROVEMENT is not having to turn the radio off every time I want to access critical menus. For jet guys, the throttle cut-off deal seems to be desired. Another is half step increments when adjusting your servos. Who doesn't want better resolution wherever possible? I am still hoping Horizon will change their position on this over time. Perhaps there is a true hardware reason they can't do it? This was not indicated to me when speaking with Horizon, care to chime in any rep's out there?

-Sean Curry
[/quote]

Its "better for you" Not necessarilly better though.
I confirmed with a Spektrum Dev Team Member, that as far as any mixes, the DX18 CAN do them, the only difference is I have to program my DX18 to do them, whereas the QQ has them canned. IE it was nothing more than a software update to the OS. in fact the beta testers were DX18's before the software. The only hardware change was the switches and gimbals. After several reports of the switches "quality", its not a transmitter I personally would sell my DX18 to move to, as was not intended that way anyway. IE its not "better for me". I still own the flagship model as I did before the QQ release. The whole point of that release was to pay tribute, again not to replace the flagship model.

Wow I see why I rarely use these forums , not gonna argue whos is bigger here. But I see you do.

and no, I didnt need to read the rest of the posts on the thread, as your not reading what I was replying to in the first place.
<br type="_moz" />

drac1 11-19-2012 11:30 PM

I don't own a DX18 (but I was considering one a while back).
Following this thread it seems to me that the QQ does have extra software capabilities that the original model does not have.
Does the original have the 6 servo aileron function?

Gordon W 11-20-2012 02:46 AM

Why are you guys switching off your DX18s to access the system menu? See if this helps:

With the Tx already on the model you’re dealing with, press CLEAR and BACK together to get the model select screen.

Scroll to the adjacent memory, then press the roller and select this memory. You’re now on the system setup screen, the TX stops transmitting, and RX goes into failsafe.

Scroll down to model select and re-select the model you were on originally.

You’re now back on the system setup screen for the model you want to adjust with the Tx transmission still inhibited.

When you’ve done the adjustments, press BACK to activate the model memory, and reinstate the Tx-Rx RF link.

It’s a minor faff, but if this isn’t better than switching the Tx off and on, what am I missing?

Gordon

PropsnWings 11-20-2012 03:31 AM

ORIGINAL: drac1

I don't own a DX18 (but I was considering one a while back).
Following this thread it seems to me that the QQ does have extra software capabilities that the original model does not have.
Does the original have the 6 servo aileron function?
The DX18 does not have the 6 servo wing as a canned mix, but can do the same thing, if you set the mix up. Takes a lil time, but the capability is there. On the QQ, they just made it a canned mix.

No the QQ does not have capabilities the DX18 does not have, what the QQ has is "features" as they advertised them, which are just capabilities the transmitter already possessed, and they canned them as pre-selectable options in the menus.
<br type="_moz" />

PropsnWings 11-20-2012 03:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Gordon W

Why are you guys switching off your DX18s to access the system menu? See if this helps:

With the Tx already on the model you&rsquo;re dealing with, press CLEAR and BACK together to get the model select screen.

Scroll to the adjacent memory, then press the roller and select this memory. You&rsquo;re now on the system setup screen, the TX stops transmitting, and RX goes into failsafe.

Scroll down to model select and re-select the model you were on originally.

You&rsquo;re now back on the system setup screen for the model you want to adjust with the Tx transmission still inhibited.

When you&rsquo;ve done the adjustments, press BACK to activate the model memory, and reinstate the Tx-Rx RF link.

It&rsquo;s a minor faff, but if this isn&rsquo;t better than switching the Tx off and on, what am I missing?

Gordon

You are correct, this "work around" has always been there.
<br type="_moz" />

smitty1001 11-20-2012 04:56 AM

Yes gordon, we know about this workaround. We want to clear/back>confirm=system menu on same model. Seems small but it obviously has an easy solution and would be way more convenient when setting up/fine tuning a model.

Put 10 gallons through my classic dx18 over the past few days and by all accounts love the radio. QQ software block is still crap though and yes the display is sorta cheap and glitchy - I def would pay for an LCD upgrade with better refresh. The timer "chirps" are also significantly more silly than the JR beeps - but that's splitting hairs.

PropsnWings 11-20-2012 05:03 AM

ORIGINAL: smitty1001

Yes gordon, we know about this workaround. We want to clear/back&gt;confirm=system menu on same model. Seems small but it obviously has an easy solution and would be way more convenient when setting up/fine tuning a model.

Put 10 gallons through my classic dx18 over the past few days and by all accounts love the radio. QQ software block is still crap though and yes the display is sorta cheap and glitchy - I def would pay for an LCD upgrade with better refresh. The timer "chirps" are also significantly more silly than the JR beeps - but that's splitting hairs.
+1

Agreed, on the software front, but I have not had any issues with my LCD. I have seriously looked at a different speaker due to the squawking instead of beeps... which I think is related to the higher current of the LiPo, and no stepping down to the speaker. I know I liked the sounds better on the DX8 , than I do the "squirrell chattering chirping" of the DX18. ;)

I worry I am going to anger a mob of squirrells while flying ;)
<br type="_moz" />

smitty1001 11-20-2012 05:14 AM

Lol on the squirrels! Maybe I'm just one of the lucky few on the display? I've noticed that when someone mentions that problem most others vehemently disagree which makes me think it's only a select percentage that have that problem. I could best describe it as random "tracers" from time to time not connected to any input or scrolling. Back to the chirps - I think they did it on purpose that way - just turned out not as cool as they thought. Like I said, small and hardly worth mentioning, but there, I did!

PropsnWings 11-20-2012 05:21 AM

Lol on the squirrels! Maybe I'm just one of the lucky few on the display? I've noticed that when someone mentions that problem most others vehemently disagree which makes me think it's only a select percentage that have that problem. I could best describe it as random "tracers" from time to time not connected to any input or scrolling. Back to the chirps - I think they did it on purpose that way - just turned out not as cool as they thought. Like I said, small and hardly worth mentioning, but there, I did!
On the LCD, it very well could be a small percentage. As on my 11X I was unfortunate to be one of the small percentage the LCD screen fell out, and I had to send it in. Seems there were a few that didnt get glued in very well. I do remember the first time I saw a posting on the LCD of the DX18, I grabbed mine to see if maybe I had not payed close attention, but couldnt see what was being spoke of. Maybe something to call and ask about to see if maybe it is something they would replace, due to it being an issue.

I agree on the sounds, as I have never mentioned it before either, as it was just "splitting hairs", but I just had to let you know, there are others out there that have noticed :)
<br type="_moz" />

Dr Honda 11-20-2012 05:31 AM

Put 10 gallons through my classic dx18 over the past few days ......

Ummmmm....

I thought they had batteries ?!?! I have a "Classic" DX18 coming... so... what's the fuel consumption? :)

smitty1001 11-20-2012 05:46 AM

Dr. Honda, depends on which model you've selected! Don't forget to mix oil at 5%! :D

ORIGINAL: Frank Ts Stuff

... care to chime in any rep's out there?

-Sean Curry
Interesting that the only response from any of the blue shirts since displeasure was expressed and questions posed in this thread has been that yes indeed, you can migrate to QQ without issue? The silence is deafening...

bcovish 11-20-2012 05:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

Put 10 gallons through my classic dx18 over the past few days ......

Ummmmm....

I thought they had batteries ?!?! I have a ''Classic'' DX18 coming... so... what's the fuel consumption? :)
Good One:) About time someone put a little fun in this thread

indubitably 11-20-2012 07:51 AM

I just saw this thread, and i admit i read through five pages too fast to be sure, but what is the modulation on this QQ TX anyway? If its the old DSMX, then we will see this all over again when the new JR 14X comes out with its new modulation. Wah