RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   New DX18QQ Quique S edition (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11298119-new-dx18qq-quique-s-edition.html)

Tom Antlfinger 11-20-2012 08:08 AM

RE: New DX18QQ Quique S edition

Menu selectable DSM2 or DSM-X.........JR DMSS is odd man out at this time......

Frank Ts Stuff 11-20-2012 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Gordon W

Why are you guys switching off your DX18s to access the system menu? See if this helps:

With the Tx already on the model you’re dealing with, press CLEAR and BACK together to get the model select screen.

Scroll to the adjacent memory, then press the roller and select this memory. You’re now on the system setup screen, the TX stops transmitting, and RX goes into failsafe.

Scroll down to model select and re-select the model you were on originally.

You’re now back on the system setup screen for the model you want to adjust with the Tx transmission still inhibited.

When you’ve done the adjustments, press BACK to activate the model memory, and reinstate the Tx-Rx RF link.

It’s a minor faff, but if this isn’t better than switching the Tx off and on, what am I missing?

Gordon

Hi Gordon-

Thanks for this tip and sorry for late response, just got home to try on my DX18. I cannot seem to do what you are instructing us to do....I press CLEAR and BACK at the same time, now I am at the model select menu. The only options I appear to have to select from are: Model 1, Model 2, etc.. Should I see an "Adjacent Memory" selection somewhere?

Thanks for the help, I appear to be missing something as others seem to know of this shortcut?!

-Sean

indubitably 11-20-2012 05:27 PM

Tom
That is a surprise, as i thought the DSmSS was the new and more efficient set up with the robust and only two antennae needed IMPROVEMENT. I may be wrong here, but I trust that JR has the better setup coming out soon.
John

PropsnWings 11-20-2012 05:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Frank Ts Stuff

Why are you guys switching off your DX18s to access the system menu? See if this helps:

With the Tx already on the model you’re dealing with, press CLEAR and BACK together to get the model select screen.

Scroll to the adjacent memory, then press the roller and select this memory. You’re now on the system setup screen, the TX stops transmitting, and RX goes into failsafe.

You’re now back on the system setup screen for the model you want to adjust with the Tx transmission still inhibited.

When you’ve done the adjustments, press BACK to activate the model memory, and reinstate the Tx-Rx RF link.

It’s a minor faff, but if this isn’t better than switching the Tx off and on, what am I missing?

Gordon

Hi Gordon-

Thanks for this tip and sorry for late response, just got home to try on my DX18. I cannot seem to do what you are instructing us to do....I press CLEAR and BACK at the same time, now I am at the model select menu. The only options I appear to have to select from are: Model 1, Model 2, etc.. Should I see an "Adjacent Memory" selection somewhere?

Thanks for the help, I appear to be missing something as others seem to know of this shortcut?!

-Sean
I swore I was able to do this as well.. but just recently upgraded to version 1.03, and today I either forgot how, or it no longer works...
<br type="_moz" />

Frank Ts Stuff 11-20-2012 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: PropsnWings

Gordon

Hi Gordon-

Thanks for this tip and sorry for late response, just got home to try on my DX18. I cannot seem to do what you are instructing us to do....I press CLEAR and BACK at the same time, now I am at the model select menu. The only options I appear to have to select from are: Model 1, Model 2, etc.. Should I see an ''Adjacent Memory'' selection somewhere?

-Sean
I swore I was able to do this as well.. but just recently upgraded to version 1.03, and today I either forgot how, or it no longer works...
<br type=''_moz'' />
Perfect [:@]

The original DX18 has now officially began regressing.....:D

I still do enjoy it though and flew with mine today!

[email protected] 11-21-2012 08:45 AM

I have been Flying the DX-18 for three Months now B-25, 1/4 scale cub on floats. Aeroworks 100CC Edge, AJ slick ELE. Trex 550 3G, and am Really feeling like I will switch over from my 12X maybe the my most TREASURE Aircraft BVM KING CAT or BOBCAT. AND MAYBE THE CARF CORSAIR MOKIE 250 Radial.

BUT THE WAY I UNDERSTAND THIS TX DX-18 HAS ONLY 10 CHANNELS THAT CAN BE USED FOR FLIGHT CONTROLS THE JR12X HAS 12 CHANNELS FOR FLIGHT CONTROLS.

AS I UNDERSTAND 8 CHANNELS OUT OF 18 ARE AS STATED IN THE MANUAL ARE NOT TO BE USED ON FLIGHT CONTROLS.

bcovish 11-21-2012 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

I have been Flying the DX-18 for three Months now B-25, 1/4 scale cub on floats. Aeroworks 100CC Edge, AJ slick ELE. Trex 550 3G, and am Really feeling like I will switch over from my 12X maybe the my most TREASURE Aircraft BVM KING CAT or BOBCAT. AND MAYBE THE CARF CORSAIR MOKIE 250 Radial.

BUT THE WAY I UNDERSTAND THIS TX DX-18 HAS ONLY 10 CHANNELS THAT CAN BE USED FOR FLIGHT CONTROLS THE JR12X HAS 12 CHANNELS FOR FLIGHT CONTROLS.

AS I UNDERSTAND 8 CHANNELS OUT OF 18 ARE AS STATED IN THE MANUAL ARE NOT TO BE USED ON FLIGHT CONTROLS.

Just curious, what plane needs more than 10 channels for flight controls. The KingCat for example, if you separated all flight controls, you would only need 8 for flight controls

Tom Antlfinger 11-21-2012 09:26 AM

The DX-18 coupled with a 12 channel RX like a JR 1221 or 1222, delivers 12 fully proportional channels at 22msec refresh and 2048 resolution, just like the 12X/1221,1222......it is with 9 or 10 channel RX'S used with the 8 channel expander that you are limited to 10 channels, since the expander uses channels 11 and 12, dividing each into 4 channels of 512 resolution and variable refresh rate that you lose channels 11 and 12(aux 6 and aux 7), but the top 8 are still fully proportional....

[email protected] 11-21-2012 09:32 AM

YAK 54 37.5%

SIX, AILERONS SERVO, THREE RUDDER AND 4 ELE SERVOS, NOT FLIGHT CONTROL THROTTLE, CHOKE, SMOKE. 16 CH

PAT

HP^Matt 11-21-2012 09:57 AM

YAK 54 37.5%

SIX AILERONS SERVO THREE RUDDER AND 4 ELE SERVOS.

PAT

Sounds like over kill on a 37.5% to me, but of course to each his own. I like to run 5 throttle servos :)

marquisvns 11-21-2012 09:59 AM

On a F-22 I have 2 elevons, 2 rudders, 2 ailerons, 2 vts, 1 throttle and that took care of the primary 9 channels so I had to bump flaps even steering servos out to the xplus and working flawlessly for at least 50 flights by now, 15 out of 18 channels and 14 out of 16 pmix used, best radio I have ever used, still hope updates are available for all DX18s though, qq or not : )

[email protected] 11-21-2012 10:12 AM

FIVE THROTTLE SERVO, YOU MUST HAVE NEVER HAD A LARGE RC AIRPLANE.

GOOD BY

bcovish 11-21-2012 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: HP^Matt

YAK 54 37.5%

PAT

Sounds like over kill on a 37.5% to me, but of course to each his own. I like to run 5 throttle servos :)
Matt
You must be flying an Ugly Stik with that many throttle servos;)

HP^Matt 11-21-2012 10:17 AM

FIVE THROTTLE SERVO, YOU MUST HAVE NEVER HAD A LARGE RC AIRPLANE.

GOOD BY
LOL :)=kidding. Have had several large planes, dateing back to when two 8411's per aileron and one per elevator and an 8ch radio worked perfectly on a 40lb Carden

HP^Matt 11-21-2012 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: bcovish

YAK 54 37.5%

PAT

Matt
You must be flying an Ugly Stik with that many throttle servos;)
LOL

wfield0455 11-21-2012 10:26 AM

YAK 54 37.5%

PAT

Not that much overkill.... I have a very similar plane and use 4 Aileron servos, 4 Elevator servos and 2 rudder servos. With JR8711s everywhere, control authority
is very adequate. On a something like the new Pilot 38% Yak 55M, which has HUGE Ailerons, I'd definitely want 6 Ailerons, 4 Elevators and probably 3 Rudder servos.

HP^Matt 11-21-2012 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: wfield0455

YAK 54 37.5%

PAT

Not that much overkill.... I have a very similar plane and use 4 Aileron servos, 4 Elevator servos and 2 rudder servos. With JR8711s everywhere, control authority
is very adequate. On a something like the new Pilot 38% Yak 55M, which has HUGE Ailerons, I'd definitely want 6 Ailerons, 4 Elevators and probably 3 Rudder servos.
True, I forget that the trend now is for ailer-wings instead of ailerons :)

Gordon W 11-21-2012 01:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Gordon

Hi Gordon-

Thanks for this tip and sorry for late response, just got home to try on my DX18. I cannot seem to do what you are instructing us to do....I press CLEAR and BACK at the same time, now I am at the model select menu. The only options I appear to have to select from are: Model 1, Model 2, etc.. Should I see an ''Adjacent Memory'' selection somewhere?

-Sean
Hi Sean

Sorry if I didn’t describe the shortcut clearly enough. For “memory” in my original post, read “model”.

Suppose you’re on Model 1 and want to change one of its system parameters, eg model name, model type or whatever.

Press back and clear together to get the model select menu and scroll to the adjacent model, which is Model 2.

Press the roller once, scroll to the box labelled SELECT and press the roller again, just the once. This puts you in System Setup, but for Model 2.

To get to system setup for Model 1, scroll down to Model Select and press the roller once. This puts you back to the model select screen. Scroll up to Model 1 and press the roller once.

Now you’re on the System Setup screen for Model 1 and can scroll down to whichever parameter you want to adjust, say Model Type, Model Name etc.

When you’ve changed the parameter to your satisfaction, to adjust another parameter simply press the back button enough times to return you to the system setup screen and no further. Scroll to the next parameter you wish to change, click it with the roller, and make the adjustment. Use the back button again to return to System Setup for your Model 1, but if you’re done, press the back button enough times to get back to the main screen for Model 1.

BTW, I’ve upgraded my DX18 to v1.03 and the software change most certainly didn’t lose the shortcut.

As I alluded to originally, all the clicking and scrolling is a bit of a faff. The system used on the QQ18 would definitely be a great upgrade. However, the rubberized roller of the DX18 makes the shortcut far easier to accomplish than on the DX8 with its slippery metal roller, which is a minor plus point.

Regarding the complaints by some guys that they’d like the rubber-coated switches, for years I’ve been making my various JR Tx switches easier to feel and operate by sleeving the toggles with short lengths of neoprene fuel tube used for model diesel engines, and have continued with the mod on my Spekky Tx’s. Pic attached.

My one and only gripe with the DX18 is that the row of front face switches is some distance higher up the case than those on my JR10X, and although I have a large hand span, I find the DX18 switches harder to reach as they need the thumb and fingers to stretch out noticeably more than with the 10X. Sleeving the switch toggles makes them easier for me to find and distinguish without having to look at the Tx.

BTW, I can't remember if it's been mentioned in this thread (no reason it should) but the 9-chan Rx which comes with the DX18 is actually 10 chan.

Hope this helps.

Gordon.

Dr Honda 11-21-2012 03:46 PM

OK.....

This is killing me. I ordered a DX18, and it was shipped on Monday... but UPS is now saying it won't get here until next Monday !!!!!!!! It's only coming from the other end of the state, and it's going to take a week !!!!!!!!!!! The tracking says it's sitting in the terminal 10 miles from my house. If it's not on a truck Friday... I'm going to go get it. This is why I stopped using UPS at my shop. USPS will get it across the country in 3 days.

Anyway... when you guys get a new file, to flash the radio with... is it bound to your serial number? If it's not... why not just get a file for the new QQ, and flash a standard DX18?

madmodelman 11-21-2012 03:56 PM

Tony, the download will only work with the registered Tx I'm afraid!
Gary.

PropsnWings 11-21-2012 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

OK.....

This is killing me. I ordered a DX18, and it was shipped on Monday... but UPS is now saying it won't get here until next Monday !!!!!!!! It's only coming from the other end of the state, and it's going to take a week !!!!!!!!!!! The tracking says it's sitting in the terminal 10 miles from my house. If it's not on a truck Friday... I'm going to go get it. This is why I stopped using UPS at my shop. USPS will get it across the country in 3 days.

Anyway... when you guys get a new file, to flash the radio with... is it bound to your serial number? If it's not... why not just get a file for the new QQ, and flash a standard DX18?
Each is bound to the serial number of your transmitter. Even if you had two DX18's or 2 of another.. you'd only be able to update the one you downloaded the file for, and would not work on the other.

I am sure, someone will figure out how to work around that eventually.?
<br type="_moz" />

Frank Ts Stuff 11-21-2012 04:07 PM

[/quote]

Hi Sean

Sorry if I didn’t describe the shortcut clearly enough. For “memory” in my original post, read “model”.

Suppose you’re on Model 1 and want to change one of its system parameters, eg model name, model type or whatever.

Press back and clear together to get the model select menu and scroll to the adjacent model, which is Model 2.

Press the roller once, scroll to the box labelled SELECT and press the roller again, just the once. This puts you in System Setup, but for Model 2.

To get to system setup for Model 1, scroll down to Model Select and press the roller once. This puts you back to the model select screen. Scroll up to Model 1 and press the roller once.

Now you’re on the System Setup screen for Model 1 and can scroll down to whichever parameter you want to adjust, say Model Type, Model Name etc.

When you’ve changed the parameter to your satisfaction, to adjust another parameter simply press the back button enough times to return you to the system setup screen and no further. Scroll to the next parameter you wish to change, click it with the roller, and make the adjustment. Use the back button again to return to System Setup for your Model 1, but if you’re done, press the back button enough times to get back to the main screen for Model 1.

BTW, I’ve upgraded my DX18 to v1.03 and the software change most certainly didn’t lose the shortcut.

As I alluded to originally, all the clicking and scrolling is a bit of a faff. The system used on the QQ18 would definitely be a great upgrade. However, the rubberized roller of the DX18 makes the shortcut far easier to accomplish than on the DX8 with its slippery metal roller, which is a minor plus point.

Regarding the complaints by some guys that they’d like the rubber-coated switches, for years I’ve been making my various JR Tx switches easier to feel and operate by sleeving the toggles with short lengths of neoprene fuel tube used for model diesel engines, and have continued with the mod on my Spekky Tx’s. Pic attached.

My one and only gripe with the DX18 is that the row of front face switches is some distance higher up the case than those on my JR10X, and although I have a large hand span, I find the DX18 switches harder to reach as they need the thumb and fingers to stretch out noticeably more than with the 10X. Sleeving the switch toggles makes them easier for me to find and distinguish without having to look at the Tx.

BTW, I can't remember if it's been mentioned in this thread (no reason it should) but the 9-chan Rx which comes with the DX18 is actually 10 chan.

Hope this helps.

Gordon.

[/quote]

Ahhh! I see, now it works. Thanks, this IS a handy little shortcut!

"Be the ball"...Ty Webb

PropsnWings 11-21-2012 04:15 PM

Hi Sean

Sorry if I didn&rsquo;t describe the shortcut clearly enough. For &ldquo;memory&rdquo; in my original post, read &ldquo;model&rdquo;.

Suppose you&rsquo;re on Model 1 and want to change one of its system parameters, eg model name, model type or whatever.

Now you&rsquo;re on the System Setup screen for Model 1 and can scroll down to whichever parameter you want to adjust, say Model Type, Model Name etc.

When you&rsquo;ve changed the parameter to your satisfaction, to adjust another parameter simply press the back button enough times to return you to the system setup screen and no further. Scroll to the next parameter you wish to change, click it with the roller, and make the adjustment. Use the back button again to return to System Setup for your Model 1, but if you&rsquo;re done, press the back button enough times to get back to the main screen for Model 1.

BTW, I&rsquo;ve upgraded my DX18 to v1.03 and the software change most certainly didn&rsquo;t lose the shortcut.

Regarding the complaints by some guys that they&rsquo;d like the rubber-coated switches, for years I&rsquo;ve been making my various JR Tx switches easier to feel and operate by sleeving the toggles with short lengths of neoprene fuel tube used for model diesel engines, and have continued with the mod on my Spekky Tx&rsquo;s. Pic attached.

Hope this helps.

Gordon.

[/quote]

Ahhh! I see, now it works. Thanks, this IS a handy little shortcut!

"Be the ball"...Ty Webb
[/quote]

Nope it didnt lose it, I lost it... lol age does strange things when you havent been able to fly for a couple of weeks. Thanks for the clarification, I was just forgetting a step.
<br type="_moz" />

PropsnWings 11-21-2012 06:06 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6eWw6ejs4g<div></div><div>at 7:15 the "flaw" is pointed out. (but can be seen in the beginning) There is at least one truly unique DX18QQ out there. Lets hope thats all that is missing ;)</div>

kirkj 11-26-2012 06:45 AM

Does anybody know if there is a multi ring, hard back binder that the manual fits into? is it punched to fit a specific pilots binder? i would like to get one to put my manual into.