RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Ultra Bandit test flight next weekend (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11301347-ultra-bandit-test-flight-next-weekend.html)

Ragz 11-18-2012 07:50 AM

Ultra Bandit test flight next weekend

My Ultra Bandit is ready to go. Its powered with the Olympus HP. I have huge butteflies in my stomach because I intend to test fly it the following sunday. Where should the CG be placed? I know BVM places the CG too far forward. How aft is it good to go? Anything I should be aware of before test flight? I have the std. tanks... I dont know what the capacity is. I plan to put the timer on 5 mins. I am told 6 is the max I can go to with the oly and small tanks. Request all UB pilots to give me their valued advice before I take this airplane up. Its still white (unpainted) but with red/yellow drop tanks...I will put some vinyl decals for visual orientation. Painting will be done after a dozen successful flights.

Thanks in advance.
Anurag

dubd 11-18-2012 07:53 AM

RE: Ultra Bandit test flight next weekend

Use BV's suggested CG and go from there. My buddy Raf has a P-200 and small tanks and he flies for well over 7 min at full power.

The UB is a no drama plane. Landings are cake. Good luck with the maiden.

sskianpour 11-18-2012 08:00 AM

Anurag, I placed my CG right where BVM has told us to, it was a smart choice. I have a P200SX in mine and the SMALL tanks and I set my timer on 8 minutes (yes that's a stupid thig to do and a good story for another time) and guess what? I flamed out on an up-line after a full throttle low pass on my maiden.

The CG was so perfect, and the plane sooooo easy to land, and the trim changes so minor with flaps down/up, gear down/up, that I literally just did a glide around the track, dropped the LG on long final, and touched down soft and safe.

Anurag, this plane flies sooooo well that you will feel like Shui on your 3rd pass (well not quite, but you catch my meaning :) )

Best of luck bro, and DO keep the tanks on, they help tremendously and look AWESOME! :)

Shaz

dubd 11-18-2012 08:03 AM

I hate the drop tanks. I fly without them. :)

Tom Antlfinger 11-18-2012 08:19 AM

Hi Anurag:

I have the big tanks and P-200SX in mine.....I have experience with OLY HP NL and they burn a couple oz more fuel per minute IMO...

I fly fairly aggressive, but never at full throttle except takeoff and hill climbs and have drained my tanks after 8 minute flights from start of takeoff roll to shutdown and checked residual fuel. I used 140-160 oz per flight average. In your case, with the smaller tanks, I would start with a 4 minute flight, measure residual fuel and adjust from there.

Mine is set up with full flaps at 35 deg, 5/16"crow with full flaps, and 18% down elevator with full flaps. Lands very slow and no tendency to drop a wing....

My CG is 3/4" behind the factory drilled holes done with wing tanks on.....but tanks in my experience make no significant change in CG.

I do not use or feel the need for a gyro.

Tom

dubd 11-18-2012 08:28 AM

Tom's suggestion of starting at 4 minutes is reasonable. I guarantee you'll have PLENTY of fuel left.

Andrew Bird 11-18-2012 08:38 AM

Was out flying mine yesterday - brilliant plane! I'm running a P200SX, large tanks, no drop tanks, timer set to 11 minutes and tend to gear pass after it's counted down and am down around 12. CG 3/4" aft of BV's recommendation (drops on tail with front tank empty) and everything seems pretty happy. I just use the stock flap set up, it wants to pitch a little with takeoff flaps but is nicely balanced with full flap.

Ragz 11-18-2012 08:57 AM

Tom,

thanks for the detailed answer. The manual does not talk about any crow or down elevator mix with full flaps? I had the bandit arf and never used any mix anywhere. Please tell me if this is really needed or your personal preference.

thanks

sskianpour 11-18-2012 09:40 AM

CROW slows my UB down nicely and seems to really make her feel solid and stable. Loooove me some CROW on my UB! Agreed with what To msaaid, though my CG is factory setting. The plane flies so well that I feel it actually lends you flying skills!

:D

Shaz

Tom Antlfinger 11-18-2012 03:02 PM

The amount of elevator comp depends on CG, flap travel, and crow travel as well as other aerodynamic variables.

Chances are you may find that you may need little if any elevator trim for straight and level flight. Then when you drop full flaps, my BARF, Compo Super Bandit, and UB all pitch up a bit. I tend to use more flap and crow than BV suggests. That may account for much of the pitch......but it is unbelievable how slow you can going sliding down finals....

Tom

Lasse Palm 11-18-2012 03:12 PM

Anurag/Ragz!
Good luck with the maiden.

Regards
Lasse Palm

c_makhija 11-19-2012 12:09 AM

Shall I confirm my tickets then for Saturday dep, Monday return.

Ragz 11-19-2012 07:32 AM

Chatty, looks we are GO for the weekend :)  FT me when you can. cheers<div>
</div>

Ragz 11-19-2012 07:34 AM

Whats the capacity of the std tanks in the UB?  Ands whats the capacity of the larger ones?  I think 4 mins is quite short...

dubd 11-19-2012 07:52 AM

4.8l and 6.2l

4 minutes is incredibly short. With the small tanks, you will have enough fuel for 7 minutes of aggressive flying. I have the large tanks and get nearly 10 minutes of flight time.

Tom Antlfinger 11-19-2012 08:56 AM

With an 18K bird, I am very conservative on the maiden.....just in case you have a gear hanger or something else unexpected. I plan for at least 4 go arounds on the maiden. My Oly burned about 26 oz/minute at full throttle, so on a go around pull-up at full throttle, you can really suck some fuel. 160 oz with probably 140 oz safely useable can disappear real fast. But DD is right......you will have a relaxing flight at about 165-175 MPH at 1/2 throttle for most do the flight.

Just be careful and good luck...Replacemnt parts are very expensive....;)

TA

ravill 11-19-2012 09:15 AM

UB's fly great. They aren't "quick" like the small ones, but they have a great presence in the sky.

I have my timer at 8 mins. I have the small tanks and an aux tank. Maybe an extra 40-50 oz extra.

When I fly Afterburner1 style (I.e. Bent full throttle stick ;) ) I have about half of my aux tank left. That means that I am using up all the fuel in the small tanks.

6 min seems really safe for you.

I wouldn't move the CG anymore back as I feel that the nose wheel is already really light on the tarmac.

Other than the fact that you spent upwards of $20k for it, remember you have a BVM jet. It has been tried and trued MANY times over. I maiden all my own jets and you'll be fine.

I have also realized that I can approach the run way with the nose down and then flare and the flaps (and crow) really slow it down. This makes throttle management a little less critical.

Oh and I have had PHENOMENAL success with the CAT air trap. http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/gbrj...ml-p-1971.html

I used to have weird flame outs on occasion with the UAT and the JMP accumulator.

That air trap, I was unable to get ANY cavitation what so ever no matter how high I tested the pump voltage.

I am running a P-200.

Here's my UB on the maiden landing.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/DSC00405.jpg

Ragz 11-26-2012 09:20 PM

As planned I went ahead and test flew the UB this weekend.  Had 5 incredible flights.  I flew all flights with the drop tanks attached.  I reckon thats the reason I needed about 1/8 inch up trim for straight and level flight.  With take off flaps, the elevator is flat, and with full flaps and 5/16 crow, I needed 1/8 inch down trim.  Obviously I have set up conditions to handle all this.  Now the plane flies very well under all 3 conditions.  I started with a 4 min timer and by the 5th flight put it up to 5 mins.  I am sure it will handle 6 mins of fast flying with the small tanks.  No more than 6 though.  Will the elevator trim change without the tanks?  Does it fly faster without the tanks?  I dont like to see that UP trim :(  How much aft can the CG go from here?<div>
</div><div>thanks guys for all the advice.  Its a fantastic airplane.</div>

sskianpour 11-26-2012 10:24 PM

Congrats bud. Welcome to the brotherhood! ;)

Shaz

Ragz 11-26-2012 10:54 PM

Thank you.

darryltarr 11-26-2012 11:10 PM

Hi Anurag,

Congratulations on your UB Maiden. I just love mine and it has now logged a little over 200 flights. My CG is approximately 16mm behind the factory setting (5/8").

Are you guys coming to Al Ain this weekend?

Hope to see you there.

Darryl

Ragz 11-26-2012 11:31 PM

Thanks Darryl.  Unfortunately I wont be able to travel to the UAE this weekend.  I have some work commitments.  I will send you an email with some ques regarding the UB.<div>
</div><div>Cheers</div><div>A</div>

wilfredes 11-27-2012 01:58 AM

I love this thread already.
http://bookstoday.info/go/smile.jpg
http://bookstoday.info/lo/sad.jpg

ravill 11-27-2012 11:26 AM

Congrats! They fly great!

Lasse Palm 11-27-2012 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Congratulations on your Ultra Bandit Maiden.:D
i'm so really happy with my first UB so I bought a new.
But, the new one with the single seat canopy.

Lasse P