RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Best Stable Jet Friendly Fields in Florida (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11317788-best-stable-jet-friendly-fields-florida.html)

RCFlyerDan 12-04-2012 07:50 AM

RE: Best Stable Jet Friendly Fields in Florida

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Please give me a heads up if you make the trip up here, I don't fly turbines but I love to take pictures.

Heck yes!! Would love to meet you too!! Maybe if Keith isn't available at that time, I could fly as your guest? There are some pictures of my F-18 in my gallery. It is all painted and NO stickers and not an ARF.

Will keep you posted. I used to travel to JAX area a lot. Is the flying field on the up wind side of the paper mills? LOL>>That smell is worse then the dump.

RCISFUN 12-04-2012 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: ira d

This anti turbine thing is gaining steam all over the country almost all fields have restrictions that are imposed on turbines but not on other
typs of models. I think it's time for some clubs that cater to turbines to be chartered.
Our AMA charted club in PA is for Turbine fliers only! ;)

RCFlyerDan 12-04-2012 08:33 AM

Very nice!! I just don't have the initiative to start our own Club. Here in Pinellas county, there isn't any land.

lopflyers 12-04-2012 08:34 AM

RCACF in Apopka have no further problems with the lease. Actually we signed a long term lease agreement. <div>The new board of directors have done an excellent job w field maintenance and it is looking awesome.</div><div>You should consider come flying with us. The dues are reasonable.</div>

dos007 12-04-2012 08:45 AM

Near Pensacola there are two fields, Santa Rosa and Holley. Both have great fly space and very long runways a few hundred feet long. The only negative is that you can only fly on the weekends.

gunradd 12-04-2012 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

RCACF in Apopka have no further problems with the lease. Actually we signed a long term lease agreement. <div>The new board of directors have done an excellent job w field maintenance and it is looking awesome.</div><div>You should consider come flying with us. The dues are reasonable.</div>
This is great news. If Ocala gets more aggresive towards us jet guys then I might have to make the switch. I loved flying over thier the few times I have.

Ed_Moorman 12-04-2012 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You need to try Navy Whiting Field, Holly Out Lying Field (OLF), just north of Navarre, FL, in the panhandle between Pensacola & Fort Walton Beach. The Navy allows the Holly Fliers and guests to fly there.

Field: 2 runways, N-S & E-W, 200' x 4000' hard surface. The runway is so wide, we don't even park on the grass. Normally open for RC only Saturday & Sunday from 0800-1700. Holidays from 1200-1700. No facilities at the field. You can fly electrics earlier.

Occasionally, the Navy training wing will get behind on flying time and will close the field to RC. The president and secretary notifies everyone by email.

Ask anyone who has flown at Pensacola Jets how the field is. We usually have at least 1 jet flying every weekend.

Contact president Mark Pfeiffer at [email protected]
Secretary Bob Tracy at [email protected]
Regular jet flier Rocky Kranz at [email protected]

Dues are a whopping $10 per year. I may be wrong and they could have gone up to $15. Inflation is killing us!

jetmech43 12-04-2012 09:28 AM

I would like to find a job in Florida and then find a field, not many a&p jobs there from what I see.

gunradd 12-04-2012 09:32 AM

ORIGINAL: jetmech43

I would like to find a job in Florida and then find a field, not many a&p jobs there from what I see.
Its a hard place for A&Ps. I am the Director Of Maintenance for the Tampa Police aviation unit so I got lucky. But before this job I did 10 years of 135 ops and it sucked. South Florida might be your best bet. You live here for the weather not the pay lol.

RCFlyerDan 12-04-2012 10:02 AM

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

RCACF in Apopka have no further problems with the lease. Actually we signed a long term lease agreement. <div>The new board of directors have done an excellent job w field maintenance and it is looking awesome.</div><div>You should consider come flying with us. The dues are reasonable.</div>

Good Deal!! I sure appreciate the invite!! I am going to try to get a couple of my other jet buddies to go there for the day. Sounds great on the long term lease too. Do they allow camping over night for members for non-events? Definitely, I will plan a trip over there Kris G., maybe you would want to tag along? Are you still off only Sunday/Monday?

RCFlyerDan 12-04-2012 10:06 AM

Ed!! Thank you for all of that information!! Yes! I will definitely plan a trip up there. Guess there is no jet flying during the week at any of the fields up there?

RCFlyerDan 12-04-2012 10:08 AM

ORIGINAL: jetmech43

There is a new flight department in Ocala with I beleive a new Embraer jet of somesort, but not sure of the details or actual base. I know they go to S. America.

rhklenke 12-04-2012 10:31 AM

This anti turbine thing is gaining steam all over the country almost all fields have restrictions that are imposed on turbines but not on other
typs of models. I think it's time for some clubs that cater to turbines to be chartered.
I think we need the AMA to step in and say "if its an AMA-chartered club, then any restrictions on the types of aircraft or operations outside the AMA safety code must be justified and approved by the AMA."

If a group of guys want to do the work and start a club from scratch that is "this-type or that-type of aircraft only" that's one thing, but for a group of guys to take control of a normal AMA club and then institute bans on types of aircraft that are allowed by AMA is BS. If they want to do that, then let them do so without AMA club sanction.

Now if there is a legitimate reason being pushed from outside, like *perceived* fire danger, then that can (and should) be justified before its approved. However, I would argue that if you're banning turbines because of fire, then you should also ban electrics with LiPos because of fire - the statistics for those two groups and fires are likely very similar. Let them try *that* at the "no jets" clubs and see how well that goes over... :eek:

Bob

zacharyR 12-04-2012 10:44 AM

thats great and all but at my club it's the Land holder's lease that debates no jets .. so changeing the AMA ... wouldn't matter..... i think is where turbine resitances comes from , so how do you over come that ? you can buy up your own land but it's so costly seems alot of clubs are on county or city proprity . or county parks and /rec how do you get the local goverment to be jet friendly ?

i could be wrong i don't own anything turbo powerd, just going off my own local clubs

jetmech43 12-04-2012 11:54 AM

well south florida to far south, wife from spring hill/ citrus co. area, so looked in Tampa,area but nothing there but an MRO and not working for one of those

jetmech43 12-04-2012 11:55 AM

interesting might look into that

ira d 12-04-2012 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

I think we need the AMA to step in and say "if its an AMA-chartered club, then any restrictions on the types of aircraft or operations outside the AMA safety code must be justified and approved by the AMA."

If a group of guys want to do the work and start a club from scratch that is "this-type or that-type of aircraft only" that's one thing, but for a group of guys to take control of a normal AMA club and then institute bans on types of aircraft that are allowed by AMA is BS. If they want to do that, then let them do so without AMA club sanction.

Now if there is a legitimate reason being pushed from outside, like *perceived* fire danger, then that can (and should) be justified before its approved. However, I would argue that if you're banning turbines because of fire, then you should also ban electrics with LiPos because of fire - the statistics for those two groups and fires are likely very similar. Let them try *that* at the "no jets" clubs and see how well that goes over... :eek:

Bob

Bob that was well said and I agree.

ira d 12-04-2012 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Our AMA charted club in PA is for Turbine fliers only! ;)

That is good to know, Now we just need more clubs that cater to turbines.

RCFlyerDan 12-04-2012 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: IB

Venice has a nice field, runway etc. and as far as I know, airspace is not as restricted.

Ian B
Hey IB!

Just found a minor issue with Venice too. It is a 450 foot runway, as per web site, and I am looking for a Club with 600+. The F-18 uses every bit of 450-500 feet during the summer for take off. Landings are ok.

Gentlemen, even though I appreciate you chiming in, and with some valid points that should be addressed, please don't make this about Club politics or AMA isses. We can start another forum for either of those. Thanks! Dan

Capt Jim 12-04-2012 12:08 PM

I am not a turbine flyer, so I have no particular axe to grind,...however, for what it may be worth, I submit this true story in the interest of helping other pilots to share this story and further the process of educating the trembling uninitiated group who remain in opposition to turbines.
I was an active member of the largest AMA club in the USA...right here in Florida; and I saw first hand the damage that misinformation can do to when employed by the anti-turbine crowd.
Back in the days when turbines carried a very small fuel cell of, I believe it was propane, or a similar gas, it was widely, and erroneously, believed that any turbine crash would produce an immediate and catastrophic explosion and a resultant bon fire. This of course terrified many club members and caused a bit of hysteria, as in the old chicken little, "the sky is falling", type of panic.
The opposition was a well intentioned, but a bit misguided, attempt to prevent losing the flying site.
At one of the heated club meetings, where the topic of banning turbines was on the docket, a very long experienced and knowledgeable turbine flyer stood up and addressed the somewhat noisy and skeptical audience.
He explained in a quiet and authoritative voice, that a very small amount of gas was on board only to get the turbine started, and the entire quantity of that gas was quickly exhausted during starting and run-up. His demeanor was calm, strong and convincing. Most of the objection to turbines quickly dissipated after learning that the dreaded fire that would close the flying field, was a hugely over exaggerated bit of misinformation. Additionally, he mentioned that those type of turbines were becoming obsolete and the new turbine versions did not carry any propane type gas at all.
As it is with many things in this world....we can do quite well with more education, and less legislation.
Jim.

ira d 12-04-2012 12:15 PM

ORIGINAL: zacharyR

thats great and all but at my club it's the Land holder's lease that debates no jets .. so changeing the AMA ... wouldn't matter..... i think is where turbine resitances comes from , so how do you over come that ? you can buy up your own land but it's so costly seems alot of clubs are on county or city proprity . or county parks and /rec how do you get the local goverment to be jet friendly ?

i could be wrong i don't own anything turbo powerd, just going off my own local clubs

A lot of the resitance against turbines is because someone has poisoned the mind of land owners be it a private owner or the local gov.
I think there is proberly more the AMA could do to help in this area.

demaples 12-04-2012 02:09 PM

No land problems at all at RCACF and the facility is in great shape, field is neatly mowed and strip recently resealed and repainted. A bunch of friendly folks with a few grumps... as usual.

Stopped by Ocalajust outside of Belleview for the first time today. Very nice, large, no, hugefacility and spoke to Dom the pres who flies jets also, who assured me they are welcome there. And that area is beautiful rolling hills full of horse farms.
DM

lopflyers 12-04-2012 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: demaples

No land problems at all at RCACF and the facility is in great shape, field is neatly mowed and strip recently resealed and repainted. A bunch of friendly folks with a few grumps... as usual.

Stopped by Ocalajust outside of Belleview for the first time today. Very nice, large, no, hugefacility and spoke to Dom the pres who flies jets also, who assured me they are welcome there. And that area is beautiful rolling hills full of horse farms.
DM
nooooo, we don't have any grumps.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/47_47.gif
We are all nice and helpful.
there is camping allowed, just no hook ups. There is electricity and a well maintained port a pottie.
There are a lot of turbine jets flying here. From dusk to dawn. In December almost every weekend is taken by a contest. This weekend is pilot racing, last weekend was pattern.
Come fly the friendly skies at RCACF

gunradd 12-04-2012 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: demaples

Stopped by Ocala just outside of Belleview for the first time today. Very nice, large, no, huge facility and spoke to Dom the pres who flies jets also, who assured me they are welcome there. And that area is beautiful rolling hills full of horse farms.
DM
Dom is great people and a good friend. But he is only president for the rest of this month. The anti jet guy is the new president. Very glad to hear I have a backup in RCACF. I love that feild. Dom has been great in being proactive in getting us the fire cart.

stoneenforcer 12-04-2012 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: gunradd

Dan glad you brought this up. Not sure the last time you drove up to Ocala but we had someone crash a shokjet and the lipos caught on fire and made a pretty good size fire at the feild. The fire dept had to put it out. So needless to say thier is a big movement to ban jets now.So I also might be looking for a new place to fly :(

there is no movement to ban any jets at ocala. certain members shot their mouths off like old ladies. their worthless opinions were stomped out quickly and there is no issue. fires can happen to anything and to anyone.