RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   CAI Razor (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11328762-cai-razor.html)

Details 4 Scale 12-13-2012 09:32 PM

RE: CAI Razor

ORIGINAL: mreinhart

Youd ont happen to have the original documentation for it do you?
I do still have the blueprints for the Razor and a copy of the manual. If you give me till next week sometime, I'll see if I can dig them up. They're in storage right now and it's a mess so it'll take a few days to figure out where I put them.

It's nice to see there are still a few of these around. I designed the Razor more than 12 years ago, so it's really nice to see someone getting to enjoy one of them once in a while. When the Razor first started flying with the old AMT Mercury's for power, 230+ MPH was pretty normal back then. One in particular was clocked at Superman at 265 mph out of a shallow dive. The frontal surface area for the drag bucket is only 6.26 sq. inches.; so like the guys here are saying, drop all the flap you can. You don't have to have it, but it makes the landings a piece of cake when you do!

I'll post back on here when I find the docs.

Dan

mreinhart 12-14-2012 04:08 AM

Awesome! The more I hear about this bird the more I can't wait to fly her!

kevinthoele 12-14-2012 06:02 AM

The other guys flying them with 30 degrees flaps must be using more runway. It is possible to do it but the 80 degrees makes it much easier. I flew mine about 500 flights on 500 feet of runway with the 80 degrees set up. I used a nose wheel gyro awesome. Unfortunately that was the end when it failed and nose wheel went 90 degrees right and went through metal fence on takeoff. Wish I could find another one.

Doctor J. 12-14-2012 06:33 AM

I have the manual, blueprints, and lots of spare parts for the Razor. I am in Cincinnati. Give me a call.
John Ligons
310-213-5403
Formerly of US Microjets/ AMT USA who sold the plane originally.

invertmast 12-14-2012 06:48 AM

John,
Do you have all the molds and tooling as well?

mreinhart 12-14-2012 11:46 AM

I am going to be catching up with him on Sunday, he is out of town until then. If he doesn't respond here before then, I will ask him about that when I talk with him.

mreinhart 12-14-2012 01:12 PM

Not cool,
I just got a call from a police officer, stating that this plane MAY be stolen, that there were some planes stolen... asked where I bought it etc. I'm going to be PISSED if this LHS sold me a stolen airplane, especially if they knew, and they had better refund my money if it is.. that will be between me and the LHS I guess.. I jsut hope if it is stolen, the proper owner gets it back.. and if not, I get to fly the SNOT outta it!
there is still a chance it is not stolen, and I have my fingers crossed.

wojtek 12-14-2012 01:29 PM

wow [:o] ... its a sad sad world .. people suck :\

~V~

mreinhart 12-14-2012 01:33 PM

Indeed it is...
I know how I would feel if my planes were stolen.. ugh... bad enough to have that pit in the gut feeling, about possibly having someone elses property... I dont know how the damned thieves can live with themselves.

ORIGINAL: wojtek

wow [:o] ... its a sad sad world .. people suck :\

~V~

mikes68charger 01-31-2014 11:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread...

I just found this thread when I was trying to find the ready to fly weight of this bird with out fuel.

I just got a home sale, and unless I did some thing wrong, my CAI razor with old P80 Jet cat, CAI Rear retracts, jet centry nose retract, no gear doors and stock empty fuel takes, except UAT, my Razor is come out to 25.5 pounds!!! That seems like a whole lot of weight.

I have flown this bird with an AMT 180 at 17.5 pounds of thrust, and Im sure it weighed a little more than my current P80 set up, while it flys super sweet, I would not say it was super fast!

I just don't see were the weight is... Mine is all composit, molded in tail.

There is a nice guy on this site who is makeing larger stock tanks, and I was thinking of getting them, but with all the weight, Im worred about the stress on the frame.

The yellow paint job with the crashed nose is how I got the jet.

LGM Graphix 01-31-2014 09:08 PM

You'll be fine at that weight. It's a strong jet. It will need to carry a bit more speed on final but that weight is ok. My composite super bandit was around that weight and the razor is IMO a better flying airplane. My razor was probably around that weight and flew fine.