RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   intro to turbines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11332652-intro-turbines.html)

Sgt Shay 12-15-2012 02:34 PM

intro to turbines

Yes I'm new or actually will be new to turbines. I deploy in January and when I come back I would like to get my fingers into the turbine world. What I need from you folks is helpful info/tips so my entry into turbines is as smooth as possible. I realize there's a crap load of info here on rcu but, its spread out everywhere. So any info that is posted here on my thread will help me minimize the time needed to research.

So here's what I would like to happen....I would like to get a good jet that's easy to fly and somewhat forgiving. I have seen folks putting a turbine on falcon 120's and for me that's an option of course, but would also like to know of other candidates for a first jet. Would also like helpful info on setting the engine up. Along with any other " this and that's ". What airframes or companies to stay away from, radio gear, servos. And as all of you know the list goes on and on.

I want to mention that I work on the chinook helicopter in the army so turbines aren't a complete strange thing to me. What I'm saying there is......I'm not an idiot. So you don't have to speak to me as a first grader....maybe a freshman college student.

Thanks for the help guys!!!!

smitty1001 12-15-2012 03:06 PM

RE: intro to turbines

Sgt.,

I am assuming you're in or near Killeen? Your best resource is going to be the local people - see what they're flying, what you like and a balance between your interests/budget for the best way in. The Austin and DFW group is pretty active and we often meet in Waco to fly. I have a club trainer that I have given many people their first ride on. As far as equip, you'll get a million replies to all that - depending on your budget and previous R/C experience I would basically recommend one of two paths in. If you're looking for the most bang for the buck, right now it looks like the tornado is the ticket.

Sgt Shay 12-15-2012 03:37 PM

Thanks for the reply smitty....I'm actually in el paso, and I haven't seen a lot of people fly turbines out here in el paso. Yet alone flying at all. That's a great suggestion and I would have done that but, the jet guys just don't seem to be around here.

Sgt Shay 12-15-2012 06:44 PM

What are some links to jet aircraft manufacturers? And links to read into the turbines? I downloaded a manual of a wrenn 75 and I'm sure there's good info there but I think it would be good to read more.

k12rc 12-15-2012 07:23 PM

Jet central has downloads on there engines and i think jetcat does to.as for planes the tornado or shockjet would be
Good starter jets

ira d 12-15-2012 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Sgt Shay

Thanks for the reply smitty....I'm actually in el paso, and I haven't seen a lot of people fly turbines out here in el paso. Yet alone flying at all. That's a great suggestion and I would have done that but, the jet guys just don't seem to be around here.
I would think the El paso area would have lots of flying sitesI was at Fort Bliss back in 1971 and there was lots open desert at that time, I know it has grown a lot
in forty years but it seems that would be a good area for rc flying.

Sgt Shay 12-15-2012 08:44 PM

Oh certainly...there's 2 different clubs and 3 different sites to fly, but not many people around flying at them. Maybe people don't fly much due to the windy weather. I have checked their clubs websites and the flyers are around but far and few between at the fields flying.

Thanks k12, I downloaded a few manuals. Hope my venture into jets goes smooth. Guess it just takes doing some reading and research. No problem there as I will have time to read and research while deployed.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

husafreak 12-15-2012 09:14 PM

It would be cool if you could go to a jet meet sometime. That's what really did it for me, seeing lots of guys making lots of flights with lots of different jets. It wasn't until I did that then I just jumped right in. This is certainly the right site. If you are not blessed with a local mentor than buying a used, proven jet seems like the way to go. To me.

davo580 12-16-2012 01:53 AM

go for a boomerang sprint with a wren ss they fly great and very forgiving plus you can do any kind of stunts with them. they are a trainer but you can use it as a every day flyer

basimpsn 12-16-2012 04:56 AM

Yes I'm new or actually will be new to turbines.
The first question is what experience do you have with RC plane, size, speed & weigh ?

P.S thanks for your service ;)

Roberto Denadai 12-16-2012 06:09 AM

Hi,

I bought my first jet this year. I bought a Turbinator . This plane is awesome, very easy to fly.

And my experience before turbine was just eletric airplanes and a small foam habu

Good luck !!!

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/5577/evooh.jpg

<br type="_moz" />

Sgt Shay 12-16-2012 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

The first question is what experience do you have with RC plane, size, speed & weigh ?

I'm experienced...I have been flying a 50cc mx2, along with a 30cc. I have different planes edf. Glow, so on and so on. Fastest plane I have is my phase 3 f-16 moving at 140ish.

Not new to rc, just to turbines.

No thanks needed sir. It's our job.

Sgt Shay 12-16-2012 07:46 AM

I went to Florida jets back in 2008 or 2009, and it peaked my interest. I think I'm about ready with my flying experience and financial situation to be able to jump in to turbines..not saying I'm rich but I will be ready to purchase in a few months, and fly when I come back from Afghanistan in Nov of next year.

husafreak 12-16-2012 07:59 AM

I am finding out now that you will need to purchase or make a ton of stuff for your jet so starting early will ease the pain of trying to buy everything at once. With your experience and mechanical background it should be a cinch. The challenge is probably the complexity of the systems and the huge speed envelope of a jet will be a new learning curve.

sidgates 12-16-2012 08:16 AM

Since you have time to study I would hold off on purchase of engine and radio since the technology is changing fairly rapidly. The airplanes don't change as fast.

I think there is a jet event in Abilene each year and Tucson. I would be surprised if there isn't one or more jet flyers in the El Paso area, if so they will probably read this post and speak up to help you.

smitty1001 12-16-2012 08:29 AM

Great advice from sid on just holding off on the purchase - technology does change extremely fast in this segment of the hobby. Your experience is more than enough - you'll be about one weekend away from starting a jet colony out there ;) The AMA waiver list only shows one waiver holder out there so when you get ready to take the plunge you can get your stuff ready and take a short road trip or just have a good checklist and you'll be alright. I don't think there is an event in Abilene, they have a pretty short field but there is at least a few pilots there - and also Midland/Odessa. Reading a turbine manual and this forum will get you pretty much up to speed. If you were buying today, I would say either a Tornado or Boomerang model and a 100 class motor for the budget minded, or a Bobcat/Bandit for a little deeper pockets. Job or not, we appreciate your service more than you know ;)

Sgt Shay 12-16-2012 09:02 AM

ORIGINAL: smitty1001

Great advice from sid on just holding off on the purchase - technology does change extremely fast in this segment of the hobby. Your experience is more than enough - you'll be about one weekend away from starting a jet colony out there ;) The AMA waiver list only shows one waiver holder out there so when you get ready to take the plunge you can get your stuff ready and take a short road trip or just have a good checklist and you'll be alright. I don't think there is an event in Abilene, they have a pretty short field but there is at least a few pilots there - and also Midland/Odessa. Reading a turbine manual and this forum will get you pretty much up to speed. If you were buying today, I would say either a Tornado or Boomerang model and a 100 class motor for the budget minded, or a Bobcat/Bandit for a little deeper pockets. Job or not, we appreciate your service more than you know ;)
Does the waiver lust show a name or contact info? Or at least which club the person might be with? I know there are two clubs here so knowing which club would help me contact the person with the waiver so I can talk with him.

smitty1001 12-16-2012 09:27 AM

No, just name and city: http://modelaircraft.org/MembersOnly/pdf/510-M.pdf

jetster81 12-16-2012 09:31 AM

The first question is what experience do you have with RC plane, size, speed &amp; weigh ?

I'm experienced...I have been flying a 50cc mx2, along with a 30cc. I have different planes edf. Glow, so on and so on. Fastest plane I have is my phase 3 f-16 moving at 140ish.

Can't see why you are asking, you seem to know it all.
<br type="_moz" />

Sgt Shay 12-16-2012 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: jetster81

<br type=''_moz'' />
Do you have something intelligent to ad to this or are you just trying to piss me off sir?

joeflyer 12-16-2012 12:14 PM

Great advise from Sid. I'd start a turbine savings account now. Stay in touch with the hobby through RCU and the internet while you're away. Right now I'd say the best bang for the buck is a Falcon 120 or Tornado, but something better may come on the market between now and November.

When you get back try to get lined up with an experienced jet guy. The last thing you should buy is the turbine, and it would be a big help to have the same brand as a few others at your home field, where ever that may be. You'll needhelp setting up your plane and programing your transmitter and ECU.

I spent some time at Ft. Bliss in 1970. I'm sure a lot has changed since then.

Good luck,
Joe

Sgt Shay 12-16-2012 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: joeflyer

Great advise from Sid. I'd start a turbine savings account now. Stay in touch with the hobby through RCU and the internet while you're away. Right now I'd say the best bang for the buck is a Falcon 120 or Tornado, but something better may come on the market between now and November.

When you get back try to get lined up with an experienced jet guy. The last thing you should buy is the turbine, and it would be a big help to have the same brand as a few others at your home field, where ever that may be. You'll need help setting up your plane and programing your transmitter and ECU.

I spent some time at Ft. Bliss in 1970. I'm sure a lot has changed since then.

Good luck,
Joe
I have only been here at bliss for 8 months, and I realize I need to leave. The flying time here is limited because of all the wind all the time.

And yes I do believe the hard part will be the ecu and the transmitter setup. When I do buy one I'm going to have it setup on a test stand to figure out the wiring, and lines and general use before I even mount it to an airframe and fly.

Thanks Joe.

basimpsn 12-16-2012 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)

If you like sport looking jets I have just the Jet for you ;) The Ultra Flash is one of the best sport jet out there, slows down very well and lightning speed at full throttle. Second is the hotspot, almost like the ultra flash but cheaper, boomerang is another, limited in speed but its a all tme trainner, after 0ne year flying that thing you will go back to your 30cc :D. As for turbine engine

One word KINGTECH for the best price with performance.. you can't go wrong ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t9xSLZyRMk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaVrHOCjktY

Sgt Shay 12-16-2012 01:58 PM

Kingtech was pointed out to me and I'm going to go with it.. as far as airframe...for my first I want something with simplicity. Something to get the basics down...not interested in retracts and all the bells and whistles. So I'm thinking of getting a falcon 120 and keep the fixed gear on it. Then after some time flying that step up to something more sleek and spotty, maybe even a scale jet.

Marcelo Assis 12-16-2012 02:15 PM

Have you already seen the Esay Jet XL from Joam Matos RC?
www.joaomatosrc.com
I know Barry from Kingtech USA is selling it in USA.
I got mine and it is very impressive. You can make a very good combo with a K 100G.
Regards
Marcelo

Sgt Shay 12-16-2012 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Marcelo Assis

Have you already seen the Esay Jet XL from Joam Matos RC?
www.joaomatosrc.com
I know Barry from Kingtech USA is selling it in USA.
I got mine and it is very impressive. You can make a very good combo with a K 100G.
Regards
Marcelo
Thanks...yeah I saw the easy jet, and its right up my alley but more than I want to spend on a jet trainer. But when its time to buy I will consider several factors. I.e. length of time I would fly it, ease of operation, price, etc, etc.

basimpsn 12-16-2012 03:07 PM

Kingtech was pointed out to me and I'm going to go with it.. as far as airframe...for my first I want something with simplicity. Something to get the basics down...not interested in retracts and all the bells and whistles. So I'm thinking of getting a falcon 120 and keep the fixed gear on it. Then after some time flying that step up to something more sleek and spotty, maybe even a scale jet.
Hey.. sounds like a plan ;)

husafreak 12-16-2012 04:17 PM

Hey Sgt (I was a Capt) If you have access to a Ipad and want to get excited about turbines download the App for RC Jets international online magazine for 99 cents and then for your free introductory offer download this months turbine special. :)

jetster81 12-16-2012 05:06 PM

The first question is what experience do you have with RC plane, size, speed &amp; weigh ?

<br type="" />
Do you have something intelligent to ad to this or are you just trying to piss me off sir?
Lovely attitude you have there Sarg, now don't go getting all gung ho on us now.
<br type="_moz" />

IFlyEm35 12-16-2012 05:34 PM

Get a Kingtech 140 and a Boomerang XL or a Torus.

This is a perfect combo for your first jet. I have never flown the Torus but I have had a couple XL's and it is one of my favorite beginner jets. The Ultra Flash is a great jet. But I think it would make a better 2nd one. The Boomer is much more forgiving. Plus it's MUCH larger and easier to see.

Here are a couple of my vids:

Boomerang XL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA9mAL4pfZg (Watch it HD. In standard def its hard to see due to the clouds. The smoke pump had a bad battery)

Ultra Flash (2nd flight):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M9HQiky5F0

FenderBean 12-16-2012 05:36 PM

Jetster81, I would have said the same thing about your comment. [:-] From what you typed you either were saying it looks like you got the right idea or just being a ***** trying to start something. Someone that wasn't trying to be a ***** would have cleared things up if their comment was taken the wrong way.

jetster81 12-16-2012 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Jetster81, I would have said the same thing about your comment. [:-] From what you typed you either were saying it looks like you got the right idea or just being a ***** trying to start something. Someone that wasn't trying to be a ***** would have cleared things up if their comment was taken the wrong way.
I found some of his comments condescending and the 'sir's' to be sarcastic which offended me.
<br type="_moz" />

IFlyEm35 12-16-2012 06:40 PM

I found some of his comments condescending and the 'sir's' to be sarcastic which offended me.
<br type=''_moz'' />
I think you are looking into things way too much. Let's all just get along. I read the thread and no where did I get the impression that SGT was being rude or condescending. Let's just go back to doing what we all love. Talk about R/C! [8D]

FenderBean 12-16-2012 06:57 PM

Hes a NCO in the military, he was just showing courtesy, people have lost perspective on the fact that the internet adds a very big (lost in translation) factor, plus some people are raised to say sir to a stranger in our country. The problem with reading everything is 10 people can read the same thing and end up with 10 different opinions, probably the biggest cause of forum fights today.

<br type=''_moz'' />

Boomerang1 12-16-2012 10:44 PM

So I'm thinking of getting a falcon 120 and keep the fixed gear on it.

Kingtech was pointed out to me and I'm going to go with it.. as far as airframe...
Wasn't Modelbau USA doing a special deal with a Tornado if you bought a Kingtech as a package deal?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=887303

John.

basimpsn 12-17-2012 04:29 AM

Here is a good fix gear jet trainer call the JETCAP 242, Flys as good as the boomerang :) Only mod was to change the tail wheel to Aluminum [:@]:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUuYsH_9MNI

Dr Honda 12-17-2012 05:37 AM

Here is a good fix gear jet trainer call the JETCAP 242, Flys as good as the boomerang :) Only mod was to change the tail wheel to Aluminum [:@]:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUuYsH_9MNI
COOL !!!!!!

I've got to build one of those !!! :D

Dr Honda 12-17-2012 05:52 AM

The Falcon 120 is a great jet, and they are dirt cheap. I know a lot of guys here will put them down as not being a real jet... but with a few simple mod's... and not trying to make them fly at 180 mph... you will have a model that will get you though the turbine learning curve. Besides... if you crunch one... it's only $150 for a new air frame.

I was in the same boat as you 2 years ago. Wanted an inexpensive trainer, without the complications of retracts. So... My first attempt at flying my Falcon was to use the stock fixed gear. IT SUCKS !!!!!! It bent before we ever got off the ground. So... I made a nice spring loaded nose gear, and changed the main gear over to an aluminum set. By doing that... it supports the engine and wing mounts better, and it's MUCH easier to put together and transport since the fuse is on it's own gear.

If you get one, an want more info... just give me a yell. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...ts/Landing.jpg

2_Subway 12-17-2012 07:35 AM

Hey Sgt,
Are you a crew chief on Chinooks?

Henry

essyou35 12-17-2012 08:10 AM

The falcon 120 require quite a bit of mods and the cheapest kingtech is K80 which I am not sure if you can get anymore, you may be stuck with a K100 (I was told K80 being discontinued not sure if that is still true).

The K100 is way too much power for the falcon 120 without major modifications. If you got the $$$, the tornado is a falcon 120 done up right. YOu can put fixed gear on that too.

I would hate to you see get frusterated and lose a new turbine to a questionable airframe.

By the the time you do the mods to the falcon 120 cost wise you would be a tornado pretty close. I went with the F-86D great trainer but lots of mods again. I woudl of done tornado but transport is hell. YOu have to remove the booms and wings and this is a point for error, getting it hooked up right everytime. They take a lot of wear and tear being taken a apart like that.

If you can keep it together in 1 piece you will be much better off.

If I could my first turbine over again I would get a turbinator or a jet mach. They fly so good and are so easy to fly. No bad characteristics, othyer than FUGLY.