RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   NEW PRODUCT IDEAS FOR 2013? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11350734-new-product-ideas-2013-a.html)

corndog2 01-04-2013 11:14 AM

RE: NEW PRODUCT IDEAS FOR 2013?

I have to say there are some reasonable ideas on this thread but if you look through it it does sort of suggest that many of us dont want to make or cobble together solutions to particular problems ourselves. It seems that we all want to buy in the solution.

What ever happend to making things from scraps and so that can be found around the house etc or as a friend of mine would say 'Make it at home for nothing'

Just a thought not wishing to dis any of the ideas in this thread

hooker53 01-04-2013 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: corndog2

I have to say there are some reasonable ideas on this thread but if you look through it it does sort of suggest that many of us dont want to make or cobble together solutions to particular problems ourselves. It seems that we all want to buy in the solution.

What ever happend to making things from scraps and so that can be found around the house etc or as a friend of mine would say 'Make it at home for nothing'

Just a thought not wishing to dis any of the ideas in this thread

The answer and problem is time.

hooker53 01-04-2013 02:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Countryboy

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Love the spring hinge idea, on any trike UC if not attached to the legs then each door would require at least two hinges, getting close to 10 hinges per airframe, most of us have at least two or three airframes that make about 30 for each of us plus some spares, would not take long to get the 1000 needed for manufacture.

Mike
Assembled spring loaded hinges would be nice, but really not that hard to make your own. Hadn't really looked at it, but I'm sure the concept could be applied to offset hinges as well.
First pic is the hinge and the second pic shows it in application.

Hey Country. Now ya talking. That's what I saw in my head. The flat Dubros with that spring.

marc s 01-04-2013 03:44 PM

OK so far the suggestions which I can probably tackle are (in no particular order)

1 - Canopy Latch (thin, small and robust)
2 - CG rig (possibly electrically driven for large models and would double as a model lift to allow gear cycling/maintenance etc at site or workshop)
3 - Rx Mount
4 - Taxi Tank
5 - Spring loaded door opener/assister
6 - Tip & Tricks Book
7 - Smoke Fluid (thick smoke with around 40% less fluid consumption)
8 - Carsten's 'electrical' idea
9 - Control Horn alignment and fixing Gig

Unfortunately I dont really have the options to make gear and seeing as so many do this I want to stick with simple, useful accessories which I can make myself in small numbers.

Keep the ideas flowing, I will move to a poll once the list has got to a point where there are a good range of ideas..... Remember those 'I wish I had something to do that' moments in the workshops around the world this weekend and post them on this thread ;)

marcs

Jeremy_D 01-05-2013 02:50 AM

What about a Turbine alignment kit. I've seen pics on here with guys cutting circles out and then spacing them to centre the turbine and pipe making everything centred. Could you make a composite set with different sized circles and a spacing set(1-3cm) so you could match the size of the pipe, attach it to the desired length in the spacing set and then put on the corresponding circle for the exhaust pipe.

Countryboy 01-05-2013 05:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Jeremy_D

What about a Turbine alignment kit. I've seen pics on here with guys cutting circles out and then spacing them to centre the turbine and pipe making everything centred. Could you make a composite set with different sized circles and a spacing set(1-3cm) so you could match the size of the pipe, attach it to the desired length in the spacing set and then put on the corresponding circle for the exhaust pipe.
Cutting circles, who in there right mind would do such a thing. :)

Thought of suggesting this idea myself. To my knowledge bank (very limited by the way), there is nothing commerically available ( bar lasers, etc;).

marc s 01-05-2013 06:50 AM

Nice one - can see the thought now behind this idea.

10 - Thrust Pipe Alignment Tool

marcs

marc s 01-11-2013 11:42 AM

Wanted to post an update.

A couple of the ideas I am working on and starting to look to prototype, these being the:

Start up & Taxi Tank
Horn alignment and drilling jig
Thrust pipe alignment tool

Also working on the CG/heavy jet lift as this was a project I had already done some work on and a new Smoke Fuild product (this requires input from a friend who is a chemist)

I have started on the 'Taxi Tank' and will post a few pictures shortly of the concept and plans so far. In terms of what I am planning there are a few USP's

- Carry handle
- Robust design and construction
- High tech 'look'
- Rubber base to prevent damage to jet wing etc
- Facility to prevent fuel running out of feed lines once detached from overflow vents
- Two capacities (one for use with single vent jets and one for twins with two vents)
- Integral vent pipe shut-off

If there are other USP's which you feel are important on a product like this please add your suggestions and comments.

marcs

corndog2 01-11-2013 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: marc s

Nice one - can see the thought now behind this idea.

10 - Thrust Pipe Alignment Tool

marcs
Whats wrong with the mark 1 eyeball

corndog2 01-11-2013 12:13 PM

Wanted to post an update.

A couple of the ideas I am working on and starting to look to prototype, these being the:

Start up & Taxi Tank
Horn alignment and drilling jig
Thrust pipe alignment tool

Also working on the CG/heavy jet lift as this was a project I had already done some work on and a new Smoke Fuild product (this requires input from a friend who is a chemist)

I have started on the 'Taxi Tank' and will post a few pictures shortly of the concept and plans so far. In terms of what I am planning there are a few USP's

- Carry handle
- Robust design and construction
- High tech 'look'
- Rubber base to prevent damage to jet wing etc
- Facility to prevent fuel running out of feed lines once detached from overflow vents
- Two capacities (one for use with single vent jets and one for twins with two vents)
- Integral vent pipe shut-off

If there are other USP's which you feel are important on a product like this please add your suggestions and comments.

marcs
needs to be see through to see fuel level and also to keep an eye on the amount of crud that gets in the tank

marc s 01-11-2013 12:37 PM

I will be see through.........;)

Countryboy 01-12-2013 06:28 AM

OK so far the suggestions which I can probably tackle are (in no particular order)

1 - Canopy Latch (thin, small and robust)
2 - CG rig (possibly electrically driven for large models and would double as a model lift to allow gear cycling/maintenance etc at site or workshop)
3 - Rx Mount
4 - Taxi Tank
5 - Spring loaded door opener/assister
6 - Tip & Tricks Book
7 - Smoke Fluid (thick smoke with around 40% less fluid consumption)8 - Carsten's 'electrical' idea
9 - Control Horn alignment and fixing Gig

Unfortunately I dont really have the options to make gear and seeing as so many do this I want to stick with simple, useful accessories which I can make myself in small numbers.

Keep the ideas flowing, I will move to a poll once the list has got to a point where there are a good range of ideas..... Remember those 'I wish I had something to do that' moments in the workshops around the world this weekend and post them on this thread ;)

marcs
If you can perfect a thick black smoke fluid, I'll take the first 55 gal. drum. I'm sure there would be quite a few F-4 owners lined up behind me.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...k-smoke-motors

DENTO 01-12-2013 11:05 PM

How about a put FINGER HERE DECAL with a finger print ,for the guys that hang around and look for hanger rash,You all must know what I mean. Tongue in cheek
Regards
John

Henke Torphammar 01-13-2013 02:36 AM

I suggest a balance weight system for controll surfaces. Imagine a surface weighing 200grams when pulling 10G, that's 2kg of force that the servo needs to compensate. I guess some manufacturers ballance their control surfaces but most dont. This would be perfect in small, medium and large. The ballast capsule has a hole in the back to add lead shots and CA/Epoxi until the surface is balanced out. I think this would put less stress to the servos and prevent flutter.

This is only a draft to visualize my idéa.
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1750/28743591.png

marc s 01-13-2013 03:11 AM

Henke - like your idea, may be tricky to generalise it but hey we all like a challenge ;)

marc

macmuz 01-13-2013 03:52 AM

Hey Marc.

How about a holder to permantley mountthe Xicoy System Analyzer / Mini Data Terminal in your model.

Heres the link: http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/xico...al-p-3413.html

Cheers Mario..

Pepperpete 01-14-2013 08:17 AM

Seriously spring loaded hinges. I've lost track of the amount of times I've said to myself "Now if there was only a spring loaded door hinge for such and such application"

scheur 01-14-2013 08:24 AM

i suggest a airworld manual [>:]

Turbulence 01-14-2013 08:27 AM

You mean something like this one? There are two versions there.

http://parkrcmodels.com/product_info...2l6cml7drugv36

Ralph

ORIGINAL: hooker53

ORIGINAL: Countryboy

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Love the spring hinge idea, on any trike UC if not attached to the legs then each door would require at least two hinges, getting close to 10 hinges per airframe, most of us have at least two or three airframes that make about 30 for each of us plus some spares, would not take long to get the 1000 needed for manufacture.

Mike
Assembled spring loaded hinges would be nice, but really not that hard to make your own. Hadn't really looked at it, but I'm sure the concept could be applied to offset hinges as well.
First pic is the hinge and the second pic shows it in application.

Hey Country. Now ya talking. That's what I saw in my head. The flat Dubros with that spring.

marc s 01-14-2013 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to all the suggestions guys the list is nearing a short list ;)

The items I will look closely at are:

Horn Alignment Jig
Turbine Pipe Alignment Tool
Spring Loaded Hinges/Catches
Taxi Tank

I have started on the Taxi Tank as mentioned and here are a few images of the product development so far.

I have moulded a 1.5L rectangular tank with open sides and have also a 2.1L version being made tonight, the reason for the two capacities is mainly where larger twin turbine jets are used and twin vents/tanks etc require a larger reservoir. Depending on feedback I may just opt for one size fits all. The sides of the tank are a durable plastic material and I decided to form the sides as a separate part to the tank for a few reasons.

1 - Its easier to make a tank moulding without ends and get a consistent quality
2 - Having open ends allows fittings to be added before the ends are fixed and permits gluing from the underside for better sealing
3 - The side panels are designed to have multi-functions and be identical for both tank sizes should this be the route taken

Side Panel Functions

1 - Provides fixing points for a carry handle
2 - Incorporates a magnetic fixture to keep feed pipes above tank whilst in the filed to prevent siphoning of fuel
3 - Gives a base to fix rubber rails to prevent model damage and creates friction to keep the Taxi Tank in place
4 - Incorporates a pipe crimp slot to seal off pipe when in transit around the field
5 - Adds strength to the Taxi Tank and improves fuctionality

I will test assemble one end panel and glue with a special fuel proof epoxy suited to composites and plastics and one dry run some tests to check bond strength and durability.

Next job is deciding on what is the best route in terms of plumbing, what fittings are required etc...... this is where I need your help guys.

The fittings need to be simple and yet practical to suit a wide range of user preferences, it will have two outlets (the one I am making as a full prototype) although a single outlet version should have the same fittings, and two vents. So what fittings, what size and how would you like to see the set-up?
There are loads of slick fittings around but I dont want to add anything too complex as I hope the user will customise his Taxi Tank to suit his vent fittings etc.
Does the Taxi Tank need internal filters on the pick ups or not?

Looking forward to suggestions and links to any products you feel would be suited to the hardware side......

marcs

tobba 01-14-2013 11:38 AM

Nice Marc.

Pepperpete 01-14-2013 12:03 PM

It's the offset hinges that would be the most important for me. For models in the 1/9th to 1/6th scale range. With the electronic retracts these days spring loaded doors just make sense to get rid of air permanently.

Make it happen Mark and you'll have my order! :) I can't be the only one who needs or wants these.

Pepperpete 01-14-2013 12:12 PM

That taxi tank is really pro! I love the idea of a handle for the tank itself.

smchale 01-14-2013 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Pepperpete

It's the offset hinges that would be the most important for me. For models in the 1/9th to 1/6th scale range. With the electronic retracts these days spring loaded doors just make sense to get rid of air permanently.

Make it happen Mark and you'll have my order! :) I can't be the only one who needs or wants these.
Sonic-tronics offer spring loaded offset hinge version of their normal hinges. Maybe an adaption of their setup in a larger/stronger size would be useful. Let me know if you'd like a pic posted.

extra 300 01-15-2013 12:23 AM

ORIGINAL: smchale

ORIGINAL: Pepperpete

Sonic-tronics offer spring loaded offset hinge version of their normal hinges. Maybe an adaption of their setup in a larger/stronger size would be useful. Let me know if you'd like a pic posted.
Please do post a photo of the spring loaded hinge.

Having spring loaded offset hinges was exactly what i was refering to when i first suggested the idea.

Regards,
Dany