RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Help me decide on a radio (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11358606-help-me-decide-radio.html)

hooker53 01-06-2013 02:21 PM

RE: Help me decide on a radio

ORIGINAL: madmodelman

What on earth do you mean ''risking your planes using Spektrum''?

For sure!!! I've had 3 Spektrums 2.4 ever since they have been out and never a single problem. If you can afford to put 2,000/3,000 bucks in a TX then a cheaper one is sure not gonna measure up in the payers mind.

Dr Honda 01-06-2013 03:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Ruizmilton

............... I still see no point in risking your planes using spektrum when you already use the most robust 2.4Ghz link available...

ORIGINAL: hooker53

What on earth do you mean ''risking your planes using Spektrum''?

For sure!!! I've had 3 Spektrums 2.4 ever since they have been out and never a single problem. If you can afford to put 2,000/3,000 bucks in a TX then a cheaper one is sure not gonna measure up in the payers mind.

I was going to say something too... but why feed the trolls?

NZjet 01-06-2013 03:44 PM

What on earth do you mean "risking your planes using Spektrum"?
Where i fly there are nothing but problems with Spektrum radios, Nearly every weekend somthing will go in on spektrum, had 3 in on day, Aircraft would randomly unbind in the air, futaba FAAST, never a issue. Now i must admit, since a couple of them have changed to the DSMXthey have been fine without issue.

So from my point of view, you cant blame that guy from saying what he did!

My 2c

FenderBean 01-06-2013 04:12 PM

Scratching head on this one, I have played around with everything except jetti and I have found this to be the other way around:D Thats the good thing about have choices something for everyone:)

ORIGINAL: dubd

Dave, I recently purchased a DX18QQ for my A-10 and I like it even when compared to my trusty 12X. The additional money over the standard DX18 is worth it because of the 12 channel receiver and case. If you were to buy DX18 + 12 channel receiver + case (12X case won't work) it'll cost $1158.

FWIW, I bought a 18MZ and hated the programming and sold the radio. I used a 14MZ for years before I switched to JR and the 18MZ reminded how unintuitive Futaba radios are. $3000 for a radio with software that felt like it was designed in the 80s. No thanks.

dubd 01-06-2013 04:26 PM

I was using it to program an Ultra Bandit and I didn't like it's user interface compared to the 12X. Different strokes....

Ruizmilton 01-06-2013 04:29 PM

Never mind...

Tony Iannucelli 01-06-2013 05:10 PM

I flew Futaba for 20 years after Kraft, ProLine, and EKLogictrol. I've flown JR for 14 years. I favor Japanese products over Chinese. I think most or all of the Spektrum products are made in China. JR would be my choice based on that idiosyncrasy. I also think JR has superior servos over all other brands. JR programming is easy. The readout window is excellent. As far as the radio link is concerned, we have had a couple of issues with Spektrum at our field. None with JR that I know of. Not a broad sample, but still, you go with what works in your realm of experience.

Modern radios are great. Best of luck with your choice.

jzuniga 01-06-2013 06:19 PM

Having used Futaba 9zap, JR 9303, Spektrum 7, among others... My vote goes for
Futaba 18mz... enough said.
...just saying

Z

dubd 01-06-2013 06:58 PM

ORIGINAL: jzuniga

Having used Futaba 9zap, JR 9303, Spektrum 7, among others... My vote goes for
Futaba 18mz... enough said.
...just saying

Z
You used a bunch of low-mid range radios and then proclaim the 18MZ is the king of the heap? Well I hope so given the products you are comparing it to. :D

I really like the 18MZ from a feature perspective, just don't care for the programming. That's not a huge issue for a lot of people, but weighs heavily for me. I'm not opposed to switching back to Futaba if JR abandons DSM-X and doesn't come out with a comparable offering.

jzuniga 01-06-2013 07:04 PM

Dub,

the 9zap was THE radio back in the day.. not what I would consider "low-mod" range radio. It had complicated programing, but nothing came close. True, the 18mz is not what I would consider user friendly, but definitely a radio with superior features... my .02
BTW, it hasn't even come close to failing me yet...
Z

dubd 01-06-2013 08:05 PM

The 9z was THE radio back in the day, but George Washington was the US President back then too. In fact, I think he had a 9z. ;)

ddennison 01-06-2013 08:33 PM

Thanks Tom!

Happy New Year to you too.

Thanks very much for the offer. I dont really have any doubts about the DX18/QQ just wondering if I need it or just stick with my setup and add the next weatronic receiver.

I had a chance to look at a Jeti 2.4 transmitter last month in FL - it seems similar to the type of design weatronic is coming out with; very interesting. I think I am going to buy the weatronic transmitter if I can find one when they come out..

I may start my setup for the Hawk on my older 1222/12X just for setting things up if I need a little time. I will await my 10X checkup report before the next decision.

Thanks again! I hope GC was great, or is great!

Hope to see you at Owatonna, FDL and MN JEt Rally 2013

Dave

HoundDog 01-07-2013 05:48 AM

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="color: rgb(128, 0, 0);">Watch what XPS presents at the AMA show in Onterio next week .... Price and capability that's unbelievable ....</span></span></span>

exfed 01-07-2013 05:49 AM

I wish this topic had come out a week earlier when I was faced with the same decision. Two points made my selection choice. First of all, I'm not going to pay a lot extra for a QQ dog tag and baseball cap. But most of all, ask yourself what are the applications you will use the radio for. I need true porportional control on aux channels for scale applications. All of the high end radios only have switches for the aux functions. The only one equipped with porportional control knobs was the JR 12X and it has four knobs. I have owned a 10 channel JR for many years and it has always worked perfectly. My decision was simple, buy the JR 12X. I will miss the touch-screen programming however.

HarryC 01-07-2013 06:02 AM

ORIGINAL: ddennison
I think I am going to buy the weatronic transmitter if I can find one when they come out..
It is called, bizarrely, the BAT 60 tx. Wea says summer 2013, which probably means just before Xmas 2013! Price will be up to 2000 euros.

ddennison 01-07-2013 06:31 AM

Yes that will be the handheld version, tray to follow, so I am guessing 2014

HoundDog 01-07-2013 06:41 AM

ORIGINAL: exfed

I wish this topic had come out a week earlier when I was faced with the same decision. Two points made my selection choice. First of all, I'm not going to pay a lot extra for a QQ dog tag and baseball cap. But most of all, ask yourself what are the applications you will use the radio for. I need true porportional control on aux channels for scale applications. All of the high end radios only have switches for the aux functions. The only one equipped with porportional control knobs was the JR 12X and it has four knobs. I have owned a 10 channel JR for many years and it has always worked perfectly. My decision was simple, buy the JR 12X. I will miss the touch-screen programming however.
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="color: rgb(128, 0, 0);">Question if U only need 6 channels for scale and you have a 10 channel radio thet works perfectly well then why would you want to incure the expence and learning curve of a new radio? I would guess it's Just like the rest of us ... New and bigger</span></span></span> is always BESTEST!

jzuniga 01-07-2013 09:48 AM

The 9z was THE radio back in the day, but George Washington was the US President back then too. In fact, I think he had a 9z. ;)
Good one Dub...:D

Z

john josey 01-07-2013 10:49 AM

ORIGINAL: exfed

. I will miss the touch-screen programming however.
Not for long ! I felt exactly the same about the touch screenand was disappointed that it had gone, but it only took a short while to realise the roller is superb. It's great for the likes of adjusting elevator mix to flaps while flying. So quick, so easy.

lopflyers 01-07-2013 10:50 AM

Save the $$ for yet another airplane[X(]

Tom Antlfinger 01-07-2013 05:12 PM

I really like the 18MZ from a feature perspective, just don't care for the programming. That's not a huge issue for a lot of people, but weighs heavily for me. I'm not opposed to switching back to Futaba if JR abandons DSM-X and doesn't come out with a comparable offering.
There is a video somewhere on the JR Japanese website with translation....it features the lead JR engineer.....No more DSM-X as that is Spektrum operating system despite all the downer comments about Spek....
They have developed their own O.S., i.e. DMSS, totally incompatible with DSM2&DSM-X.....

They have had a few problems which has slowed intro of the 12x replacement....only the DMSS XG11 and XG6 so far....

I don't have the video link but it will turn up in a Google search....

Tom

HoundDog 01-07-2013 06:23 PM

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="color: rgb(128, 0, 0);">If ya gota have a Big old Computer Radio ta be's fly'n thes alls-Ready-Put's ta geth'r aeroplanes we can't be much of a PILOT. Next ya all be wanten gyros on your tail draggers ... and auto pilots to fly it fer ya.
Old Kraft 4 channle with servo reversing ...Now that 's a real Radio
<span style="font-size: xx-large;">

LOL</span>
</span></span></span>

ddennison 01-07-2013 07:01 PM

Maybe I will go u-control, solid link, no batteries

Mark Basel 01-07-2013 07:12 PM

Good one Dave :) Goldberg Ringmaster?

<br type="_moz" />

5skyhawk172 01-07-2013 07:35 PM