RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Molding New F-86 Drop Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11377594-molding-new-f-86-drop-tanks.html)

Jetpilot24 02-03-2013 10:05 AM

RE: Molding New F-86 Drop Tanks

1 Attachment(s)
I managed to get the first tank joined together this weekend. After a failed first attempt, I used a tried and true method. The first try was to use strips of carbon fiber and epoxy the half's together in the mold. Nothing lined up and I pulled them apart before the epoxy set. I found that the ply mounting plate was the cause for the miss alignment. I did not have it sanded at an angle enough to allow for the curve of the tank.

what I ended up doing was to CA a 1/4 inch wide 3/32 ply strip to the tank half then lining it up with the other half and using tin ca to go around the entire seam. Sand the seam with 100 grit to knock down the edge. If you have built kits in the past, this how cowlings and wheel pants were joined. Now it is a matter of some Lite bondo work on the seam and thin get both of the tanks ready for primer.

I am in the process of setting up the other tank now.

Joe Lewis

rc4flying 02-03-2013 11:08 AM

Looks good Joe.

Jetpilot24 02-16-2013 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry its been a while since an up date, but I just got over being ill since last weekend. I did get the second tank made up and the process of joining it together was the same as above.

Now its a matter of old fashion kit building. The seam is sanded and filled with bondo. I use the stuff called Kromate. It is a lightweight bondo that sands real easy. The one thing to be aware of with the Kromate is that it sets up very fast. With a golf ball size glob you only use about 3 to 4 drops of the hardener. Basically you don't want to mix more than you an use in about a 5 minute time frame. Once the bondo is sanded I go back over it with spot fill putty from a tube. This gets dry sanded with 150 grit. After that I use Plasti Coate Spot fill Lacquer primer. The lacquer primer is used because you can spray enamel paint over the lacquer. I also made new fins for the tanks and covered them with 1/2 oz. glass cloth. Again, This is Kit building.

Jetpilot24 03-25-2013 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well after some time I was able to get the new tanks in primer. They are ready for paint.

Joe Lewis

RCISFUN 03-25-2013 02:10 PM

Hey Joe, I just stumbled into your thread, I missed it when you first started it, your tanks look great!!!

Jetpilot24 03-25-2013 03:30 PM

Rich
Thanks

A lot of work involved in making the new ones but it was worth it. I lost .25 pounds on the tanks. The others had been repaired so many times they gained weight.

Joe