RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   How big is your one??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11404921-how-big-your-one.html)

schroedm 02-10-2013 02:07 PM

How big is your one???

Guys

Just settled into our new house and I'm looking to get planes out of storage and a workshop setup. I'm trying not to go overboard on size so thought I'd ask how big your workshops are??

Don't want this to become a contest but am primarily interested in workshop sizes for guys that tend to build and store 160 size and above models.

Thinking I might not need to go as large as I'm thinking.

Cheers
Mark

Hustler58 02-10-2013 02:19 PM

RE: How big is your one???

Make shop friendly. I put everything on wheels so I can move all tables around and make room for whatever weird thing that pops out of my head! I have 2 tables against the walls that are 24"x96" that can be put together to create a 48"x96" then I have a 48"x96" that I can put with those 2 tables to make it 96"x96" or 48"x 192". I have a shelf under all to hold more STUFF!

Gonzalo38 02-10-2013 02:22 PM

Mark:

I guess it will depend on how many models you will be keeping in storage. If you keep them somewhere else, you will only need some small space.

The problem of going big is that you will always fill it out. My first workshop was a 40' container. For a while there was plenty of space for me to work without a problem but after a while, I couldn't even enter the place.... so I decided to weld two (2) 40' containers together. Same history...... at the beginning plenty of space and now, I even thinking of adding extra shelfs so that I can get in and not have the floor covered with planes.

What I'm trying to say here is that if you have your shop at home, try not to go too big and find some extra space to stor your models. I'm thinking on going back now to a 20' container that will serve as a shop and keep the other one as a storage place. The smaller the place, the less you feel tempted to fill it up.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/632/img2155yi.jpg

Zagzoo 02-10-2013 04:09 PM

My basement workshop is 30'ft x 30'ft square. Got two L shape workbenches 30" x 12ft long, 8' x 4'ft main workbench and (2) 8'ft tables. I basically build any size plane I need!!

j.duncker 02-10-2013 04:26 PM

You can never be too rich.

You can never be too thisn [ well I suppose youi can ]

BUT

You can never have too much workshop space. Murphy's law applies.

DelGatoGrande 02-10-2013 05:02 PM

Hi there Mark,
for me the best solution to get models out of the way is up high.Above and clear head.
So if you have a high seelling workshop ,you need some strong rope and rollers bolted in the seelling to get them up there.

This way you can store many and your working place around is clear to avoid ''hangar rush "

...sorry for the poor english mate:(

CARS II 02-10-2013 05:40 PM

I had a rack specifically made to store my airplanes to get them out of the way.

Gonzalo you have tons of space not been use, the space above your airplanes, ah yes very nice fleet specifically the A-10 :D

Ron Stahl 02-10-2013 08:00 PM

I have two rooms in the basement and one up stairs for storing kits and supplies. The rooms in the basement are 20 x 20 with two four foot lights on every floor joist and this room has a 4'x8' table that has. A self healing mat for cutting wood and covering on. I also have a ten foot long dining room table that I can sit at to build as standing to build got old long time ago. That table has (2) 2'x4' one inch thick glass plates for building on that I cover with ceiling tiles when needed. The last room is for built planes and is L shaped 12' x12' on the base with another 8' x20 foot section on it. I cannot more highly recommend double French doors for getting into and out of the built section of the shop for ease of transporting the planes to the field. I also have six foot shelve units on the side of the 12 x 12 room for storage of large fuse jets, and the walls are white pegboard and the lighting is the same as the other room.

warbirdfanatic 02-12-2013 01:34 PM

Mark,

My whole house is a workshop unfortunately! I do have a garage but as you know, the UK weather is always too cold to be outside! Most of my work is done on the lounge floor and unfortunately we have one of those fancy high pile Ikea rugs that seems to be a nut & bolt trap, every time I hoover it I find pieces that I lost!

I'm looking to buy a new place next year and a double garage is definitely on the cards or at least a large garden so that I can build an Annexe!
<br type="_moz"/>

Shaun Evans 02-12-2013 04:11 PM

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

You can never be too rich.

You can never be too thisn [ well I suppose youi can ]

BUT

You can never have too much workshop space. Murphy's law applies.

You can never have too strong of a spell-checker or too effective of grammar school, either.... :D

David Jackson 02-16-2013 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 3 large wide span storage racks in my garage measuring 72x36x96". Each rack can hold 4 very large planes. Unfortunately, no space for any cars.

RUFTER 02-16-2013 11:02 AM

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/1416/shopf.jpg

This is my attic, 40m², big enough for building, garage is for storage.

Regards, Bart.

JimJones1 02-17-2013 12:04 AM

ORIGINAL: David Jackson

I have 3 large wide span storage racks in my garage measuring 72x36x96". Each rack can hold 4 very large planes. Unfortunately, no space for any cars.

Generally cars have got roofs so can go outside