RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   i-gyro set up video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11498396-i-gyro-set-up-video.html)

Alex48 05-01-2013 09:43 AM

i-gyro set up video

This is the first in a series of videos explaining how to set up the PowerBox i-gyro. This one concentrates on using a PowerBox with DSM2/DSMX. There's lots to go through so this video keeps it basic the next few I'll explore more of the functions and various ways you can set the different axis up in flight. I hope you all find it useful. I look better in 720p ;)

Cheers, Alex

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xna6QJ7qNuA[/youtube]

Alex48 05-01-2013 09:44 AM

RE: i-gyro set up video

oh yeah...any suggestions or criticisms are welcome :)

schroedm 05-01-2013 01:55 PM

Hi Alex

Looks to be a great vid but the audio is screwed for me?

Not sure if just me but its hard to make out what you're saying from about 2:30 ??

Cheers
Mark

Ozmodeller 05-01-2013 06:20 PM

Alex

Pardon my ignorance here, but the patch leads that you refer to were they supplied with the I Gyro, reason I ask is that they appear (on your video) to exit the SRS rx ports and then linked to the gyro, to do that am I correct in assuming that the patch leads would be fitted with a normal JR type plug on one end and a rx plug on the other; the only leads supplied with mine are JR/Futaba male to male? Great video btw, well done and should provide some invaluable instruction for people like me who have difficulty understanding all this electrical jelly bean stuff.

Regards
Peter

Alex48 05-01-2013 10:01 PM

Hi Mark, it sounds ok on all my devices. Hopefully its just you ;) have you tried it on your phone or iPad? Does anyone else have any issues?

Hi Peter, yes your correct the patch leads have a rx plug on one end and a JR plug on the other. I thought they came with the gyro but perhaps they came with the PB Competition, either way you should definitely have two patch leads amongst the stuff that came with the gyro and SRS.

Cheers, Alex

3dean 05-01-2013 10:52 PM

hi
great video
im about to order one of these today for my kingcat but was a tad concerned the unit has one rudder output and i have two rudders ,so ,waitng to hear from PB for best solution, either Y lead or matchbox ?
im planning on running it with a 14 ch rx only? hope thats ok too
alex you have a sensor switch on the igyro, is that part of the igyro kit ?
look forward to the next vid
nice one ! :-)

Alex48 05-02-2013 12:22 AM

Hi Dean

The sensor switch comes with the gyro. You don't need it connected all the time like me but access to the top of my gyro is difficult plus I'd probably lose it. You cant use any old sensor switch you must use the one supplied with the gyro as it has a different plug.

Im not sure about the matchbox so its best that you've asked PowerBox.

Cheers, Alex

3dean 05-02-2013 02:34 AM

hi alex thanks for the info

powerbox say you can use a matchbox with the igyro

deano

Dave Wilshere 05-02-2013 04:37 AM

You can use a Y lead too...

Ozmodeller 05-03-2013 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Alex48

Hi Peter, yes your correct the patch leads have a rx plug on one end and a JR plug on the other. I thought they came with the gyro but perhaps they came with the PB Competition, either way you should definitely have two patch leads amongst the stuff that came with the gyro and SRS.

Cheers, Alex
Alex
I am having difficulty in identifying a source for the patch leads you mentioned in your video, the Powerbox site does not seem to list them, if possible could you provide a source or a part number for them?

Thanks
Peter

Alex48 05-03-2013 12:40 PM

Hi Peter

In the list of contents at the back of the instructions it lists:

2 uni core patch leads 2 core
2 uni core patch leads 3 core

Thats all I can find... Do you have four leads with your gyro? If not then your missing some. Its on page 29 of the instructions, no part codes I'm afraid.

Cheers, Alex

Ozmodeller 05-03-2013 01:45 PM

I see that in my manual it is on page 26, set contents depending on package-2 uni patch leads, I guess the contents would depend on the package perhaps JR/Spektrum or Futaba etc. It would appear that perhaps I have the latter i.e. Futaba as I have four patch leads two x JR (three wire) male to male and two blue red (two wire) male to male not sure for what brand perhaps Jeti. I guess the conundrum for me is to find a source for the dedicated JR/rx type, I will contact the dealer I bought it from but his website does not indicate whether you need to buy a specific I Gyro either for JR /Spektrum or Futaba etc.

Thanks for your help Alex.

Regards
Peter

Alex48 05-03-2013 01:58 PM

Hi Peter. The gyros are generic, perhaps someone that has one in a box thats reading this could have a look and see what patch leads they have?

I wonder if the leads came with my PB Competition as I'd be surprised if they have been left out from your gyro? They mention two patch leads in those instructions. Do you have a cockpit or competition to check?

Sorry I cant be more help.

Ozmodeller 05-03-2013 07:02 PM

No worries Alex, my friend has the I Gyro his had the correct patch leads provided (its a Cockpit SRS btw) I will check with my LHS.

Regards
Peter

Damo260 05-04-2013 12:10 AM

Hi Peter
My patch leads come with my Competition SRS Power box.

Thanks for the time to do the video Alex

Damo

Alex48 05-04-2013 01:55 AM

Cool thanks Damo.

I'm hoping to make the second part on the 11th.

Damo260 05-04-2013 02:16 AM

You are welcome look forward to seeing part 2.

Damo

Ozmodeller 05-04-2013 01:51 PM

Okay, looks like I may have to make them (I have been making my own servo leads for ages) can someone post a photo of the patch lead, also is their a critical length that you may be aware off?

Alex I am looking forward to your next video.

Regards
Peter

Alex48 05-04-2013 01:57 PM

Hi Peter

Send PowerBox an email, I'm sure they will send you some, Ive always found them to be very helpful.

[email protected]

Cheers, Alex

Damo260 05-04-2013 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Peter
Here is a pic of the patch lead.

Damo

Ozmodeller 05-04-2013 02:28 PM

Alex
I am sure that PB would do the right thing, however by the time I had emailed them and received the leads I would have had them done.

Thanks for the info Damo, I gather from the photo that the red wire is in the centre?

Again thanks for the assistance.

Regards
Peter

Damo260 05-04-2013 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Peter
Another photo

Damo

Ozmodeller 06-27-2013 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Alex48
I'm hoping to make the second part on the 11th.
Hi Alex

Have you had a chance to do the second part, I enjoyed the first one so much that even I who is very technology challenged was able to comprehend what was going on; I eagerly await part 2?

Regards
Peter

Jack Diaz 06-27-2013 05:17 PM

Thanks Alex. Great video.

When do we see part 2 ?[:o]

I will use iGyro (for the first time) on my Philip Avonds Magister Fouga (TG 2014 I hope); together with an Spektrum 12 channel receiver for all the other channels
I am not planning to use HH in any surface. And don't want to do so many gain adjusting flights either (flight assistant sets rate and HH together as you mentioned).

Question:
Are there any gain values that you can set on the ground and just forget about it ? (say, like setting a JR370 @15%)
I have no idea what those gain values would be on the iGyro.
Or, can I just go by the amount of correction that I am used to see on a gyro controlled surface?

Thanks again
Jack

Gonzalo38 06-27-2013 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jack:

I wouldn't recommend setting up gains on the ground. The latest software version (version 16) is so easy to set up that there is no reason why you should take any risks. You can upgrade your version easily http://powerbox-systems.com/e/downlo...inal/start.php

With older versions you needed to make several different flights in order to adjust the iGyro, but with the new version in only one flight you are done.

Instructions on the additional brochure provided by Powerbox are very easy to follow. http://www.powerbox-systems.com/shar...-manual_en.pdf

I have already two iGyro working and about to set a couple more in different planes. Very happy with the performance.

Jetkopter 06-27-2013 05:57 PM

Jack, start at around 50 percent if you just want to adjust on the ground. If the model oscillates you can always slow down or turn it off and lower the gain once you land. I don't use heading hold in flight mode two but I am using it in flight mode 3 . This gyro can be set up may different ways to suit your style of flying. It really is easy to adjust the gain inflight with the new software. I put it in a foamy to test the software V 16 and it works well. Fly it in something simple and you can practice doing the set up !
Don

Jack Diaz 06-28-2013 07:13 AM

Thanks Don and Gonzalo. Great info.

My issue is that I don't feel comfortable landing with Heading Hold. I have tried, but just can't get the sink rate I want. For me, the airplane feels like if it was tail heavy when landing with HH [:@]
And, I understand that when you do the inflight set up, the iGyro automatically assigns values to HH on the ailerons and elevator; correct?

So, I guess that I will have to manually reduce the Heading Hold values to "0" on the ground, once I have performed the inflight gain set up. Am I correct?
Or, to make them "0" in FM2, and copy whichever value the iGyro assigned, in FM3.

Jack

Jetkopter 06-28-2013 07:24 AM

Jack, Fly the plane let the software do the setup and then turn the gyro off and land without it. When you get it on the ground just go in and reduce the rate to zero on elevator HH. Buy zeroing the heading hold on the elevator you can keep any elevator to flap mixing active as well. The more you use this gyro the more your going to like it. The heading hold on the rudder is awesome for doing rolls and if you want to leave it on to turn just make a coordinated turn using rudder and aileron and you wont be fighting the gyro because the gyro is stick priority sensitive. Good luck!

Don

Jack Diaz 06-28-2013 07:36 AM

Thanks Don.
I fly helis (Goblin 770); so, doing rudder coordinated turns shouldn't be a problem :D:D

I am sure I will come back with more questions!

Jack