RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   The funny thing about jets today..... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11521425-funny-thing-about-jets-today.html)

LGM Graphix 05-24-2013 07:50 AM

The funny thing about jets today.....

So with all the FEJ threads going on, I started going back through some old posts on different manufactures and here's what I've concluded.

Modelers have become much less concerned with what they receive in an airplane, vs, what they could potentially have. Fancy paint jobs and attractive prices now outweigh the more important factor, success in the airframe.

Here's what I mean....

Lets for one minute, forget about FEJ as a single entity and lets even forget about the catastrophic failures of some of these jets.

As I read back through multiple threads, from primarily Chinese manufactures (although there are European ones as well, and American), you know what I see a huge huge amount of? "Well I had this problem, but it was easily fixed". And, "This this and this was missing but XXXX sent it out to me quickly".

Why has that become acceptable? Why are we willing to spend money, regardless of the amount, for a product that is supposed to be install equipment and fly, and accept that we have to FIX something, or wait for parts that were supposed to be in there?

We, the consumer do not set the prices of the model. That is set by the manufacture, when they set that price, and sell that airplane, it is supposed to be for a complete, and functional model. Not a model that requires fixes to be airworthy, or parts to be sent after the fact. When you buy a car, they don't tell you "we forgot to install the glove box door, we'll send it in the mail to you". You wouldn't buy that car and you sure as hell wouldn't install your glove box door yourself.

In my 15 years flying jets, with 13 1/2 of those being turbines, I have bought jets from the following manufactures (read manufactures, not counting kits I bought used), BVM, JMP, Skymaster, FEJ, Comp Arf, Aviation Design, Fiberclassics, Trim Aircraft, Yellow Aircraft, Jet Hangar Hobbies.

Of those companies, all except for Trim Aircraft, Comp Arf, Skymaster, and FEJ had everything in the box that was supposed to be. Now, in all fairness, every single one of those airplanes except the Skymaster and FEJ were kits, I had to build them. BUT!!!!!! Nothing will piss me off more than building a kit and having to wait because something wasn't included in the kit. Usually it's just small stuff, but it's stuff that quite often I can't get locally and have to order from somewhere or wait for the manufacture to send it to me.

So ok, that's a minor issue, BUT, I still spent money to receive a product, I expect it to all be there.

Lets move onto the bigger issue. Fixes...... I have read I don't know how many times in the past weeks about how wonderful an airplane is and how problem free it's been "ever since I had the flutter and fixed it" or "ever since I replaced the landing gear cylinders" or, or, or.........
How does having to do repairs on an airplane that is SUPPOSED to be designed and tested make it a wonderful airplane? I'm sorry but an airplane that flutters within it's flight envelope and requires a modification to fix it is a POS!!!!! Why does it become acceptable that the $6000 you just paid out was NOT correct but since it was an easy fix it's ok? Why does it become acceptable that after you had a problem and the manufacture sent you a new part is it acceptable? Would it still have been acceptable if that flutter cost you the airplane instead of you having the opportunity to fix it? That is good luck more than good management.
Why has mediocrity in the modeling world BECOME ACCEPTABLE????

I know some of you will say I'm on rah rah train for certain manufactures, but here is what I appreciate and EXPECT when I'm dropping money on these MODEL AIRCRAFT.

JMP - With my Firebird, I received a complete parts list, down to the nuts and bolts, that was checked off AS THE AIRPLANE WAS PACKED with each part inpspected. EVERY SINGLE PIECE was in that kit.

BVM - With the Super Bandit, While there was no checked off parts list, the manual listed all the parts and the accessory packs, every single bag of hardware was labeled for its use in the airplane, every part was in there, as with JMP, nothing was damaged.

Aviation Design - My exocet had a parts list in the manual and every single part was in there, it was somewhat more frustrating as nothing in the hardware packs was labeled, but still everything was there

Etc etc etc.....

This is what a model should be, whether it's a KIT, or an ARF. Every jet I have flown, I have flown hard, and I have never had flutter on a jet, I have never had a gear failure, any issue I have ever had, was because of something I did wrong myself. (it is worth noting that of all those jets, I sold the chinese ones before I ever flew them)

We are paying a large sum of money for these airplanes, I do not believe that one should settle for mediocrity. Sometimes I agree you will not know about an issue with an airplane until it happens, BUT, what boggles my mind, is people will still read about issues that "were easy fixes" and buy the same airplane after they KNOW the problems and take it upon themselves to fix them.

At one time I thought to myself, some of these jets are far less expensive so I'm willing to do some extra work. WHY? Why are we willing to say "I'm willing to spend money foolishly on a product that is supposed to be one thing, but I'll expect it to be less and still send my money"??????? How f'in stupid is that? It's like saying "I know this stock is failing, but I'll buy into it because although history has proven it to do nothing but go down, there is still a 0.00000001% chance it might go up........ "

There ARE some very reputable manufactures out there, and yes, their airplanes might cost more, and you might have to do more work, but they take a certain risk out of flying. Between radio links, flameouts, and our own dumb thumbs, there are enough risks taken with RC flight already. Do you really need to add questionable airframes that work fine AFTER you fix them?

The modeler keeps demanding bigger airplanes, but where is the better? Where is the logic to say that a jet that comes out that is 10 feet long and is an ARF, costs the same as the KIT that is 7 feet long from another manufacture, but the quality is far less. Where is the logic to say, has this manufacture proven themselves? Where is the logic that says "Am I really willing to spend thousands of dollars on an airframe where structural integrity MUST be designed and thought much differently than our old 90 size ducted fan days, and this manufacture doesn't really have the knowledge to do this?"

I am not pointing fingers at any one manufacture, but there are smart(er) places to spend your money.

I will say it again, airplanes that REQUIRE FIXES are NOT wonderful models, they are crap. If your skill set is enough to repair and modify some POS ARF so that it is safe, then buy a kit and build it, or scratch build something.

The sad part is, these manufactures can continue to make claims that they are listening and changing things, but at the end of the day, the problems are getting worse and the average modeler is allowing it to happen by continuing to buy this crap and accept that the will have to FIX something.

To be blunt, you are allowing yourselves to get screwed by buying this crap. You are buying an ARF model, ARF means almost ready to FLY, not ALWAYS REQUIRES a FIX!!!
The writing is on the wall guys, continuing to buy airplanes that have a more attractive price point and continuing to demand that manufactures sell at the lowest possible price is going to devestate this hobby. Spend your money wisely. Remember that even the biggest jet manufactures are basically a cottage industry. Everyone talks about how expensive these airplanes are and asks why they aren't priced more in line with say something from Hangar 9. Simple, quantity. If you sell 10,000 Extra 300's at $1000 each, that is $10,000,000, it is pretty conceivable that a manufacture could sell 10,000 models that any modeler is capable of outfitting with a gas engine and servo's and fly. But move to jets where the number of modelers is but a tiny percentage of the RC fraternity, So when you consider that no manufacture is likely to ever sell 10,000 of any one particular model, the prices are going to be higher. The typical jet manufacture isn't set up with tons of automation, they aren't selling tens of thousands of kits per year, and they aren't selling an airplane that has an 11oz wing loading and will never exceed 80mph. Stop telling the manufactures to produce better for less. You can have cheap, or you can have good, you don't get both, it's that simple.

Ok, rant over, guys, seriously, it's foolish to continue this hobby with the attitude that "yes, it will have problems, but I can fix them". It's time to have the attitude that "this is MY money that I worked for, and these jets are a product that I have earned, I expect it to be right the first time". BUT, at the same time, remember, the people manufacturing these jets are doing so to support THEIR families. Why should they work for any less than you do just so you can have a toy? Be willing to pay for a properly done model.

I highly doubt that there are many of you that would give up your current hourly wage to manufacture jet kits for the same price you want to pay for them.

DiscoWings 05-24-2013 08:04 AM

RE: The funny thing about jets today.....

Why do you come out with your Own line of jets and fix all these issues, obviously there is a demand and you seem to have all the problems documented.

I'm not being sarcastic, come out with a line that's acceptably priced.

LGM Graphix 05-24-2013 08:08 AM

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

Why do you come out with your Own line of jets and fix all these issues, obviously there is a demand and you seem to have all the problems documented.

Why would I? I'm not in the model business, why you turn this into an attack on me I don't know. As far as I'm concerned there are lines out there that are acceptably priced with no issues. But jets without issues are not cheap. IF I ever were to design and manufacture a jet, you can bet your ass it wouldn't have issues, but you can also bet your ass it would be priced to where I know I could survive AND sell a proper jet.

Why don't YOU Come out with a line, you seem to know how to do it better and cheaper than everyone else anyway.

F15driver 05-24-2013 08:34 AM

Jeremy,
Excellent post. You have addressed the issues very clearly. I've paid the price just like you mentioned when my shiny new F-20 elevator fluttered off on its second flight resulting in a total airframe loss and $900 repair to the turbine. While the manufacturer ultimately agreed to replace the airframe with one of my choice after about four months of hassle, the $900 to repair the turbine was on my nickel.

I'll not buy another of these so called ARF's again. They are not worth the risk,both dollars and cents and the prospect of risk to humans and property.

Well said, Jeremy.
Rob
F15driver

AndyAndrews 05-24-2013 08:35 AM

I agree with you 100%. By people supporting these products we are creating the beast we are trying to avoid. Create a cottage industry in suck and there will always be people willing to pay for it and try to fix it because after all, as one jet philosopher and sage I know said from a famous rant:

And I quote:

"Why are these people so stupid? This is whats wrong with our country. It's dominated by google "experts" and fragile egos. Like these ferking morons...*hit heads just smart enough to get these tubs of *hit in the air but with soooo much ego and experience lacking that they couldn't possibly take a step away from themselves long enough to admit that it's entirely possible that nagging feeling is their common sense knocking saying "dude, your tub of *hit is next, and no it's not special just cuz it's yours...its still a tub of *hit and its gonna crash".

LOL..

Andy

ravill 05-24-2013 08:47 AM

Amen brother, Amen.

grbaker 05-24-2013 08:48 AM

It won't happen to me...I know what I'm doing.....I can fix all the problems on mine.........and so on.

Even with all the negative publicity that FEJ is getting, they are still selling their ARFs and guys are still posting FEJ build/assembly threads on here.

Guys still buy Jet Joe turbines. Go figure!

weazel1 05-24-2013 09:04 AM

very nice write up sir and i agree with you on all points thank you

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

So with all the FEJ threads going on, I started going back through some old posts on different manufactures and here's what I've concluded.

Modelers have become much less concerned with what they receive in an airplane, vs, what they could potentially have. Fancy paint jobs and attractive prices now outweigh the more important factor, success in the airframe.

Here's what I mean....

Lets for one minute, forget about FEJ as a single entity and lets even forget about the catastrophic failures of some of these jets.

As I read back through multiple threads, from primarily Chinese manufactures (although there are European ones as well, and American), you know what I see a huge huge amount of? "Well I had this problem, but it was easily fixed". And, "This this and this was missing but XXXX sent it out to me quickly".

Why has that become acceptable? Why are we willing to spend money, regardless of the amount, for a product that is supposed to be install equipment and fly, and accept that we have to FIX something, or wait for parts that were supposed to be in there?

We, the consumer do not set the prices of the model. That is set by the manufacture, when they set that price, and sell that airplane, it is supposed to be for a complete, and functional model. Not a model that requires fixes to be airworthy, or parts to be sent after the fact. When you buy a car, they don't tell you "we forgot to install the glove box door, we'll send it in the mail to you". You wouldn't buy that car and you sure as hell wouldn't install your glove box door yourself.

In my 15 years flying jets, with 13 1/2 of those being turbines, I have bought jets from the following manufactures (read manufactures, not counting kits I bought used), BVM, JMP, Skymaster, FEJ, Comp Arf, Aviation Design, Fiberclassics, Trim Aircraft, Yellow Aircraft, Jet Hangar Hobbies.

Of those companies, all except for Trim Aircraft, Comp Arf, Skymaster, and FEJ had everything in the box that was supposed to be. Now, in all fairness, every single one of those airplanes except the Skymaster and FEJ were kits, I had to build them. BUT!!!!!! Nothing will piss me off more than building a kit and having to wait because something wasn't included in the kit. Usually it's just small stuff, but it's stuff that quite often I can't get locally and have to order from somewhere or wait for the manufacture to send it to me.

So ok, that's a minor issue, BUT, I still spent money to receive a product, I expect it to all be there.

Lets move onto the bigger issue. Fixes...... I have read I don't know how many times in the past weeks about how wonderful an airplane is and how problem free it's been "ever since I had the flutter and fixed it" or "ever since I replaced the landing gear cylinders" or, or, or.........
How does having to do repairs on an airplane that is SUPPOSED to be designed and tested make it a wonderful airplane? I'm sorry but an airplane that flutters within it's flight envelope and requires a modification to fix it is a POS!!!!! Why does it become acceptable that the $6000 you just paid out was NOT correct but since it was an easy fix it's ok? Why does it become acceptable that after you had a problem and the manufacture sent you a new part is it acceptable? Would it still have been acceptable if that flutter cost you the airplane instead of you having the opportunity to fix it? That is good luck more than good management.

I know some of you will say I'm on rah rah train for certain manufactures, but here is what I appreciate and EXPECT when I'm dropping money on these MODEL AIRCRAFT.

JMP - With my Firebird, I received a complete parts list, down to the nuts and bolts, that was checked off AS THE AIRPLANE WAS PACKED with each part inpspected. EVERY SINGLE PIECE was in that kit.

BVM - With the Super Bandit, While there was no checked off parts list, the manual listed all the parts and the accessory packs, every single bag of hardware was labeled for its use in the airplane, every part was in there, as with JMP, nothing was damaged.

Aviation Design - My exocet had a parts list in the manual and every single part was in there, it was somewhat more frustrating as nothing in the hardware packs was labeled, but still everything was there

Etc etc etc.....

This is what a model should be, whether it's a KIT, or an ARF. Every jet I have flown, I have flown hard, and I have never had flutter on a jet, I have never had a gear failure, any issue I have ever had, was because of something I did wrong myself. (it is worth noting that of all those jets, I sold the chinese ones before I ever flew them)

We are paying a large sum of money for these airplanes, I do not believe that one should settle for mediocrity. Sometimes I agree you will not know about an issue with an airplane until it happens, BUT, what boggles my mind, is people will still read about issues that "were easy fixes" and buy the same airplane after they KNOW the problems and take it upon themselves to fix them.

At one time I thought to myself, some of these jets are far less expensive so I'm willing to do some extra work. WHY? Why are we willing to say "I'm willing to spend money foolishly on a product that is supposed to be one thing, but I'll expect it to be less and still send my money"??????? How f'in stupid is that? It's like saying "I know this stock is failing, but I'll buy into it because although history has proven it to do nothing but go down, there is still a 0.00000001% chance it might go up........ "

There ARE some very reputable manufactures out there, and yes, their airplanes might cost more, and you might have to do more work, but they take a certain risk out of flying. Between radio links, flameouts, and our own dumb thumbs, there are enough risks taken with RC flight already. Do you really need to add questionable airframes that work fine AFTER you fix them?

The modeler keeps demanding bigger airplanes, but where is the better? Where is the logic to say that a jet that comes out that is 10 feet long and is an ARF, costs the same as the KIT that is 7 feet long from another manufacture, but the quality is far less. Where is the logic to say, has this manufacture proven themselves? Where is the logic that says "Am I really willing to spend thousands of dollars on an airframe where structural integrity MUST be designed and thought much differently than our old 90 size ducted fan days, and this manufacture doesn't really have the knowledge to do this?"

I am not pointing fingers at any one manufacture, but there are smart(er) places to spend your money.

I will say it again, airplanes that REQUIRE FIXES are NOT wonderful models, they are crap. If your skill set is enough to repair and modify some POS ARF so that it is safe, then buy a kit and build it, or scratch build something.

The sad part is, these manufactures can continue to make claims that they are listening and changing things, but at the end of the day, the problems are getting worse and the average modeler is allowing it to happen by continuing to buy this crap and accept that the will have to FIX something.

To be blunt, you are allowing yourselves to get screwed by buying this crap. You are buying an ARF model, ARF means almost ready to FLY, not ALWAYS REQUIRES a FIX!!!
The writing is on the wall guys, continuing to buy airplanes that have a more attractive price point and continuing to demand that manufactures sell at the lowest possible price is going to devestate this hobby. Spend your money wisely. Remember that even the biggest jet manufactures are basically a cottage industry. Everyone talks about how expensive these airplanes are and asks why they aren't priced more in line with say something from Hangar 9. Simple, quantity. If you sell 10,000 Extra 300's at $1000 each, that is $10,000,000, it is pretty conceivable that a manufacture could sell 10,000 models that any modeler is capable of outfitting with a gas engine and servo's and fly. But move to jets where the number of modelers is but a tiny percentage of the RC fraternity, So when you consider that no manufacture is likely to ever sell 10,000 of any one particular model, the prices are going to be higher. The typical jet manufacture isn't set up with tons of automation, they aren't selling tens of thousands of kits per year, and they aren't selling an airplane that has an 11oz wing loading and will never exceed 80mph. Stop telling the manufactures to produce better for less. You can have cheap, or you can have good, you don't get both, it's that simple.

Ok, rant over, guys, seriously, it's foolish to continue this hobby with the attitude that "yes, it will have problems, but I can fix them". It's time to have the attitude that "this is MY money that I worked for, and these jets are a product that I have earned, I expect it to be right the first time". BUT, at the same time, remember, the people manufacturing these jets are doing so to support THEIR families. Why should they work for any less than you do just so you can have a toy? Be willing to pay for a properly done model.

I highly doubt that there are many of you that would give up your current hourly wage to manufacture jet kits for the same price you want to pay for them.

CARS II 05-24-2013 09:19 AM

Well said J.

+1

FenderBean 05-24-2013 09:25 AM

If I win the lottery I will fix all this,:D but the fact is nobody is making the jets I like in the size I like but the overseas companies. So what do you do, not fly jets? For me thats not a bid deal since I fly 3d planes and helis but some people only fly jets. I do agree with the above, as a planet we continue to except things our founders would have not.

DiscoWings 05-24-2013 10:08 AM

Why would I? I'm not in the model business, why you turn this into an attack on me I don't know. As far as I'm concerned there are lines out there that are acceptably priced with no issues. But jets without issues are not cheap. IF I ever were to design and manufacture a jet, you can bet your ass it wouldn't have issues, but you can also bet your ass it would be priced to where I know I could survive AND sell a proper jet.

Why don't YOU Come out with a line, you seem to know how to do it better and cheaper than everyone else anyway.

Exactly what I expected, you go around complaining about this and whining but refuse to do anything but state the obvious. I read your entire post, you haven't said anything that I wasn't or anyone else that has been in jets for a while doesn't already know. Yes we all know there are problems but All you do is complain about how horrible everything in the market is, there are lot of models that people want to fly that simply aren't available but form Chinese manufacturers, and with those you take your chances.

In the end you just want to build kits and anyone who buys an Arf pokes you in the Eye so you start a rant.

I'm not building kits, I am hopeful that eventually there will be a line of ARF's with scale offerings that will last, right now that mfg is looking like its skymaster. I'm sure you think Skymaster is a piece of crap as well

That said I'm not happy with my FEJ F-18 1/6 and won't fly it until its been rebuilt to withstand the loads, I took my chances with them and looks like I got burned, but at the same token no one had an ARF F-18 twin available besides them and that is the model I wanted.:eek:

Shaun Evans 05-24-2013 10:16 AM

Here's what I mean....

As I read back through multiple threads, from primarily Chinese manufactures (although there are European ones as well, and American), you know what I see a huge huge amount of? ''Well I had this problem, but it was easily fixed''. And, ''This this and this was missing but XXXX sent it out to me quickly''.

We, the consumer do not set the prices of the model. That is set by the manufacture, when they set that price, and sell that airplane, it is supposed to be for a complete, and functional model. Not a model that requires fixes to be airworthy, or parts to be sent after the fact. When you buy a car, they don't tell you ''we forgot to install the glove box door, we'll send it in the mail to you''. You wouldn't buy that car and you sure as hell wouldn't install your glove box door yourself.

Lets move onto the bigger issue. Fixes...... I have read I don't know how many times in the past weeks about how wonderful an airplane is and how problem free it's been ''ever since I had the flutter and fixed it'' or ''ever since I replaced the landing gear cylinders'' or, or, or.........

Etc etc etc.....

We are paying a large sum of money for these airplanes, I do not believe that one should settle for mediocrity. Sometimes I agree you will not know about an issue with an airplane until it happens, BUT, what boggles my mind, is people will still read about issues that ''were easy fixes'' and buy the same airplane after they KNOW the problems and take it upon themselves to fix them.

At one time I thought to myself, some of these jets are far less expensive so I'm willing to do some extra work. WHY? Why are we willing to say ''I'm willing to spend money foolishly on a product that is supposed to be one thing, but I'll expect it to be less and still send my money''??????? How f'in stupid is that? It's like saying ''I know this stock is failing, but I'll buy into it because although history has proven it to do nothing but go down, there is still a 0.00000001% chance it might go up........ ''

The modeler keeps demanding bigger airplanes, but where is the better? Where is the logic to say that a jet that comes out that is 10 feet long and is an ARF, costs the same as the KIT that is 7 feet long from another manufacture, but the quality is far less. Where is the logic to say, has this manufacture proven themselves? Where is the logic that says ''Am I really willing to spend thousands of dollars on an airframe where structural integrity MUST be designed and thought much differently than our old 90 size ducted fan days, and this manufacture doesn't really have the knowledge to do this?''

Ok, rant over, guys, seriously, it's foolish to continue this hobby with the attitude that ''yes, it will have problems, but I can fix them''. It's time to have the attitude that ''this is MY money that I worked for, and these jets are a product that I have earned, I expect it to be right the first time''. BUT, at the same time, remember, the people manufacturing these jets are doing so to support THEIR families. Why should they work for any less than you do just so you can have a toy? Be willing to pay for a properly done model.

Let the church say "AMEN". Jeremy, that's yet another lucid and well-expressed opinion. You often seem like a walking 'intervention!'

LGM Graphix 05-24-2013 10:23 AM

Changed my mind, not going to feed the troll. Disco feel free to use the block button if you don't like my posts.

butler-campers 05-24-2013 10:39 AM

Lgm graphix I agree every word of what you are writhing .
That is why i only buy Tomahawk , yes it is expensive. And yes it are kits.
But you can use all the hardware that is including the kit. And the fly like the best.

also c-arf , avonds and bvm is a brand that i am verry happy with.

I owned and flown p/m 35 jets of almost every brand , for me only quality.
i don,t have much time , so when i am going to fly i want a relaxing day.
and not every time thinking: what is the next problem.

rg maikel

sorry of my bad englischhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif<br type="_moz" />

ravill 05-24-2013 10:46 AM

.....Yes we all know there are problems but All you do is complain about how horrible everything in the market.....

Actually, Jeremy was obviously stating how many great companies there ARE out there to choose from.

Chris Nicastro 05-24-2013 11:19 AM

Ive expressed this about several brands across the board from jets to warbirds and other RC products for years now. Its a problem with the mentality of the manufacturers AND the customers.
The manufacturers are playing at being professionals in business, product design, manufacturing and customer service. The customers are all over the board from a novice not knowing any better to "oh its ok I can fix it" and Ill be happy with it.

This hobby is about a lot of things to a lot of people. Its recreational, medicinal, social, technically challenging, historical, and its supposed to be fun.

So what happens, in my opinion, is that manufacturers prey on consumers to fill in the blanks on their products. They sell subpar products knowingly and call it a kit or ARF and then leave it open ended to protect themselves from the fall out. They are "leaving it to the builder" to determine how to finish the product. What happens when it fails is the customer takes the blame and responsibilty because he built it so the guilt kicks in, end of story.

Its been long over due for customers at every level of the hobby to stand up and NOT BUY OR SUPPORT companies that prey upon us. That is why Hobby Shops are important and relevant today more than ever. These stores are the community center for the hobbyist to get the best information from the community of modelers who KNOW BY DOING and practice the discipline of the hobby. These are knowledge and community centers as much as they are retail stores for the hobby. I dont think people realize this significance.

With the internet stores and nearly instant gratification of ordering online whats lost is the product support and knowledge you get with the personal touch a knowledgable sales person at a store will give you.

There are too many hobbyists playing at business men and manufacturers and too few professionals in this industry.

How do you learn about a company that sells poor products? ASK QUESTIONS! And ask more than one person. Sadly there are too many people in the hobby who are highly opinionated about a brand or brands. Ive seen it time and again in stores and at the field people who bad mouth products with NO EXPERIENCE on that product. That is why you have to ask more than one person and seek out people who have experience with the product your interested in buying. That goes double when your talking about trying a new jet or trying to get into jets for the first time because of the speed and volatility inherent in jets.

I agree with Jeremey for the most part and it sucks to have to have such huge failures openly before people see whats going on. This is the culture of business today and its time to change that culture to a more respectable one.

dubd 05-24-2013 11:21 AM

Jeremy, I agree with your original post. For me, I won't accept junk and have avoid certain manufacturers for a long time because of that. I am fortunate to be able to buy what I want. With that said, I had a moment of weakness and decided I wanted a F-14 after Raffy and I had a conversation about how cool it would be to fly Tomcats together. The only option on the table was FEJ. We both inquired about many of the issues known at the time and the reps assured us that the planes were reliable. As many know, I left my plane with the reps during BITW and they said it was good to go. Only after the crash did I find out about all the hacking that was done to the elevator mechanism to address flutter in another F-14. None of that was disclosed to me by FEJ reps.

In the end, I've learned to treat these planes like a used car. You have to kick the tires and doubt EVERYTHING that a rep says. It's sad, but that is now how I operate.

flycatch 05-24-2013 11:22 AM

The jet community is a clique unto themselves. They have the talent and the money to back it up so why not ban together and confront the manufactures. Without customers they will cease to exist. A comment was made about the affordability and quality of H9 ARFs and that too is a misconception. I own a H9 Taylorcraft that has a twisted fuselage and Horizon will not replace.

DadsToysBG 05-24-2013 11:54 AM

I have had a HS for 18 years. I fly GS gas and have had jets. I've seen the changes in the hobby. People want cheap. I can't compete with HK. I don't understand people that say it's so cheap I don't care if it works or not. I followed a thread on FG about HK Sbach 50cc gas. It's cheap but all the work they had to do to make it fly, gees. wheels that fall off, rebuilding the engine box, landing gear falling off, re gluing all the joints, wing tubes that bend. One plane is tail heavy another is nose heavy. Balance by the manual and watch it swap ends on takeoff. Someone said you can't get spare parts and a fan boy tells him to buy two, there cheap. This mind set is all through the hobby, not necessarily with the jets. Can't afford a good radio, don't wait and save just buy a cheap Chinese knock off.
Too disco, I sorry the "good" companies don't make the kind of planes you like. If it was me I'd learn to like to fly the 'good" planes until the companies came out with one I liked that was safe.
I watched wings shear off of cheap planes, planes that piled in because of cheap servo's. Gas engines that lasted 1 gal. and failed, engines without threads for the plug but it was cheap. throw it way and try again.

TimD. 05-24-2013 12:13 PM

Here's what I mean....

As I read back through multiple threads, from primarily Chinese manufactures (although there are European ones as well, and American), you know what I see a huge huge amount of? ''Well I had this problem, but it was easily fixed''. And, ''This this and this was missing but XXXX sent it out to me quickly''.

We, the consumer do not set the prices of the model. That is set by the manufacture, when they set that price, and sell that airplane, it is supposed to be for a complete, and functional model. Not a model that requires fixes to be airworthy, or parts to be sent after the fact. When you buy a car, they don't tell you ''we forgot to install the glove box door, we'll send it in the mail to you''. You wouldn't buy that car and you sure as hell wouldn't install your glove box door yourself.

Lets move onto the bigger issue. Fixes...... I have read I don't know how many times in the past weeks about how wonderful an airplane is and how problem free it's been ''ever since I had the flutter and fixed it'' or ''ever since I replaced the landing gear cylinders'' or, or, or.........

Etc etc etc.....

We are paying a large sum of money for these airplanes, I do not believe that one should settle for mediocrity. Sometimes I agree you will not know about an issue with an airplane until it happens, BUT, what boggles my mind, is people will still read about issues that ''were easy fixes'' and buy the same airplane after they KNOW the problems and take it upon themselves to fix them.

At one time I thought to myself, some of these jets are far less expensive so I'm willing to do some extra work. WHY? Why are we willing to say ''I'm willing to spend money foolishly on a product that is supposed to be one thing, but I'll expect it to be less and still send my money''??????? How f'in stupid is that? It's like saying ''I know this stock is failing, but I'll buy into it because although history has proven it to do nothing but go down, there is still a 0.00000001% chance it might go up........ ''

The modeler keeps demanding bigger airplanes, but where is the better? Where is the logic to say that a jet that comes out that is 10 feet long and is an ARF, costs the same as the KIT that is 7 feet long from another manufacture, but the quality is far less. Where is the logic to say, has this manufacture proven themselves? Where is the logic that says ''Am I really willing to spend thousands of dollars on an airframe where structural integrity MUST be designed and thought much differently than our old 90 size ducted fan days, and this manufacture doesn't really have the knowledge to do this?''

Ok, rant over, guys, seriously, it's foolish to continue this hobby with the attitude that ''yes, it will have problems, but I can fix them''. It's time to have the attitude that ''this is MY money that I worked for, and these jets are a product that I have earned, I expect it to be right the first time''. BUT, at the same time, remember, the people manufacturing these jets are doing so to support THEIR families. Why should they work for any less than you do just so you can have a toy? Be willing to pay for a properly done model.

Rock on, the truth can hurt at times. I agree 110%

warbirdfanatic 05-24-2013 12:20 PM

Good post, this is the exact reason that I build from scratch, not only does it save me £3000 onwards but my friend around the corner has a laser cutter so there's no trouble there at all. The most expensive bit is the turbine and about 300 hours of crafting but that's the fun bit, anything you stumble on can be remedied immediately. The only ARTF's that I've ever flown are IC and electric :)

You can also pick up / build your own CNC router for less than £2000 which then gives you freedom to do anything you want - as long as your wife allows you the time in the garage :)

Lil Hoss 05-24-2013 02:03 PM

Very good post Jeremy....
The thing is that Fly Eagle Jets been selling jets for years.
Now all of a sudden Dubd had a MAJOR issue
Now all hell has broke loose. FEJ is the worst model on the market, POS, And people are standing in line to down grade them. I still fell Dubd has a good *****.
BUT,,,,,,, what about all the models FEJ sold in the past??? You say we should be careful in what we buy (which is true).. People bought a FEJ because there were no real issues or BIG issues untill Dubd's major crash. We really don't no what were buying now a days. Not saying it could happen but a "big" jet company could get a bad design and have issues. BUT.......... THIS SHOULD NOT DESTROY A COMPANY. Give the jet company that was in fault time to make things better to protect their name.
Perhaps Dante's issue should have been taken care of in a more business type manner.
Your right Jeremy,,, we should NOT have to worry about issues with our models

Just my 2 cents

Hoss

[email protected] 05-24-2013 02:06 PM

i dont know what to say about the jet flyers>>>but i have 4 spacewalkers all with 20cc gas engines>> and 8 other planes with nitro fuel no trouble and i was into ducted fans when they first came out no trouble guess iam lucky>>all i can see in jets that they are very nice looking and nice to see fly>> i hope you guys can work out the jet problem that there seems to be happy flying

dubd 05-24-2013 02:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Lil Hoss

Now all hell has broke loose. FEJ is the worst model on the market, POS, And people are standing in line to down grade them. I still fell Dubd has a good *****.
BUT,,,,,,, what about all the models FEJ sold in the past??? You say we should be careful in what we buy (which is true).. People bought a FEJ because there were no real issues or BIG issues untill Dubd's major crash. We really don't no what were buying now a days. Not saying it could happen but a ''big'' jet company could get a bad design and have issues. BUT.......... THIS SHOULD NOT DESTROY A COMPANY. Give the jet company that was in fault time to make things better to protect their name.
Perhaps Dante's issue should have been taken care of in a more business type manner.

Just my 2 cents

Hoss
Hoss, you make a lot of good points. There have been a number of crashes with FEJ planes, but they were not captured on video. That is the only difference in my crash any other FEJ failure. This whole issue could have turned positve for FEJ if they would have responded as other manufacturers have when they had issues. The blow back isn't from the crash, but from FEJ's poor customer service.

Poor customer service can easily destroy a company.

AndyAndrews 05-24-2013 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Lil Hoss

BUT,,,,,,, what about all the models FEJ sold in the past??? You say we should be careful in what we buy (which is true).. People bought a FEJ because there were no real issues or BIG issues untill Dubd's major crash. We really don't no what were buying now a days. Not saying it could happen but a ''big'' jet company could get a bad design and have issues. BUT.......... THIS SHOULD NOT DESTROY A COMPANY. Give the jet company that was in fault time to make things better to protect their name.

Just my 2 cents

Hoss
This has been going on for a long time Hoss. Actually since they started. I documented over 40 FEJ pipe failures involving total loses and severe damage. I have also recently documented over 14+ TOTAL FEJ loses due to structural failure. Where do you get this bit about Dubd being the only one with a loss? Dubd is simply the latest casualty. Now Lukey.