RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   First stealth fighter to take off and land on a carrier (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11592773-first-stealth-fighter-take-off-land-carrier.html)

Jetpilot24 01-07-2014 02:46 PM

First stealth fighter to take off and land on a carrier

Just thought I would share. Very cool.

www.youtube.com/embed/WC8U5_4lo2c?feature=player_embedded

Dig it 01-07-2014 03:37 PM

Extremely Cool and scary as hell at the same time.

Dale

RCISFUN 01-07-2014 04:13 PM

Hey Joe,cool video

Did you notice the transmitter?

I think it was a Jedi :cool:

ianober 01-07-2014 04:50 PM

Unmanned stealth fighter I might add!! My cousin is on the Bush and he was part of the flight prep crew, very cool stuff!

sideshow 01-07-2014 08:21 PM

Just unbelievably cool, though a touch creepy in a Skynet kinda way....

Ram-bro 01-08-2014 07:30 AM

very cool. The next step will be to add guns and bombs. Proud to be an American!

FalconWings 01-08-2014 08:29 AM

Not the first time. ;)

FalconWings 01-08-2014 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ram-bro (Post 11704977)
very cool. The next step will be to add guns and bombs. Proud to be an American!

Negative, they will add white flags and bibles. Lockheed won that contract.

mtnflyer14 01-08-2014 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by ianober (Post 11704548)
Unmanned stealth fighter I might add!!

I think it is a little premature to call the X-47B a stealth fighter. The UCAS project was more of a proof of concept of launching and recovering unmanned vehicles from the carrier. We have had 'coupled' approaches for years on the carriers, although it wasn't all that reliable in the Tomcat, so this isn't really earth-shaking. Will be a while before the UCAS transitions to having weapons loaded and is performing tactical missions.
Regards,
Gus

dribbe 01-08-2014 09:06 AM

Here is the stealth and manned F-35 operating on a carrier in 2011 (and vertical landing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPlYoaTXZoc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTIErucXWaI

The operation of the Stealth Attack Drone prototype is very cool and very impressive in any case.

Best Regards,
David

Ram-bro 01-08-2014 09:33 AM

just think the Chinese have just floated their 1st aircraft carrier and also have some electric subs tht are hard er to detect than Nuc boats. There is something to be said for staying 2 steps ahead of your potential enemies. I don't most Americans don't really realize just how serious this "Non-conflicts' are. Right now we are fighting both an economic and cyber war and the Chinese have no doubts about what they have to do. These incidents with the Japanese are just there to test not only the Japanese response but ours also. We cant let our guard down. Semper Fi

Shaun Evans 01-08-2014 10:11 AM

Yeah,

I'm with Sideshow on this one. Cool as heck, but kinda scary and sobering, too. The thought of all of these weapons/defense systems going 'unmanned' is a bit unnerving to me because it feels like the fewer human beings involved, the less accountability there is. As far as what they're operational capabilities are, I've always gotten the impression that by the time the public gets its first view, the thing has likely been operational (if not obsolete) for years. :p

Antares100 01-08-2014 11:27 AM

I agree with YellowAircraft. If we can see it it is almost declassified for all practical purposes. What you DON'T see is a generation or two ahead of that.

GerKonig 01-08-2014 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft (Post 11705132)
Yeah,

I'm with Sideshow on this one. Cool as heck, but kinda scary and sobering, too. The thought of all of these weapons/defense systems going 'unmanned' is a bit unnerving to me because it feels like the fewer human beings involved, the less accountability there is. As far as what they're operational capabilities are, I've always gotten the impression that by the time the public gets its first view, the thing has likely been operational (if not obsolete) for years. :p

Why unnerving? Cruise missiles and missiles at large are "unmanned" also. In the past, always when the public got the first view things were operational and obsolete most likely, but that was then, this is now. It is a different world.

Gerry

SushiHunter 01-08-2014 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jetpilot24 (Post 11704453)

Just thought I would share. Very cool.

www.youtube.com/embed/WC8U5_4lo2c?feature=player_embedded

Yeah, very cool video. Actually this isn't the first time an unmanned a/c took off and landed on a carrier. I was in the military back in the 80's and early 90's and was on the USS MIdway. Since a teen, I was always into r/c planes, still am today. So back then ('86 & '87) I used to talk about r/c stuff with guys on the ship. At the time there was a group of guys who used to spend their off time, while the boat was in port (Yokosuka, Japan), and mess with r/c cars and trucks in the hangar bay and on the roof (flight deck). It wasn't until '90 to '91 when a US carrier took on this little project where they took off and landed a small r/c plane. I can look and maybe find an article about it on the net if I'm lucky. I think it was at that time when the idea started to take shape. Twenty some odd years fast forward and technology has come where we can now fly these unmanned birds like what's shown in the video you posted. Great stuff to see and when I watch it, brings back those old memories of that group of guys playing with their r/c trucks and cars on the boat so many years ago. Also watching that video, I miss those six month I.O. cruises and being underway. I loved flight opps, FOD walkdowns first thing in the morning and that unforgettable yet wonderful smell of spent JP5 coming over the jet blast deflectors as the birds were being launched off the bow.

FalconWings 01-08-2014 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by GerKonig (Post 11705216)
Why unnerving? Cruise missiles and missiles at large are "unmanned" also. In the past, always when the public got the first view things were operational and obsolete most likely, but that was then, this is now. It is a different world.

Gerry

Exactly! +1

rhklenke 01-08-2014 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft (Post 11705132)
Yeah,

Not in this case, for this specific system. The X-47B is definitely a demonstrator aircraft, and will not be operational. the RFP for the actual operational aircraft (UCLASS) is soon to be, or maybe already has been, released. The operational aircraft will be significantly bigger than the X-47B, carry a lot more fuel, and actually be able to carry and launch weapons.

I talked to several people at NAVAIR who have worked on the X-47 and they said that one of the major goals was to identify and quantify the airframe stresses resulting on an autonomous aircraft of this type from carrier landings. Apparently, the X-47 was not built to take a major amount of carrier landings and they have proven to be more stressful than anticipated, so the test aircraft are very close to the end of their serviceable life...

Bob

Ram-bro 01-08-2014 05:16 PM

what do you know aout the beast of Kandahar? Same basic design but operational

lopflyers 01-08-2014 06:27 PM

Wow, that is some serious RC flying. Super kool. Let em kick the bad guys a$&!s

Thomas B 01-08-2014 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ram-bro (Post 11705443)
what do you know aout the beast of Kandahar? Same basic design but operational

But not carrier capable.

Thomas B 01-08-2014 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by dribbe (Post 11705084)
Here is the stealth and manned F-35 operating on a carrier in 2011 (and vertical landing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPlYoaTXZoc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTIErucXWaI

The operation of the Stealth Attack Drone prototype is very cool and very impressive in any case.

Best Regards,
David

Dave is right. The F-35B is the first stealth aircraft to take off and land on an aircraft carrier.

mtnflyer14 01-08-2014 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by lopflyers (Post 11705482)
Wow, that is some serious RC flying.

At the expense of nitpicking, the X-47 landings were not radio controlled by a 'pilot' on the deck of the carrier. The aircraft was controlled on the deck by a person on th flight deck, but not landed by him.
Regards,
Gus

rhklenke 01-08-2014 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Thomas B (Post 11705484)
Dave is right. The F-35B is the first stealth aircraft to take off and land on an aircraft carrier.

Actually, to pick a little bit of nits, the Wasp is an amphibious assault ship. When you say "aircraft carrier" most people mean a ship of the CVN class - which the F-35C is having a bit of problems operating off of...

Bob

BadDawg 01-08-2014 07:55 PM

It's a really cool looking plane. It's all wing. It's a lifting body. Flying off a carrier.(exclamation point, exclamation point) The military is paving the way and commercial aviation will follow. Scale that bird up to the size of a 747 and I believe that's what passenger jets of the future will look like.

mtnflyer14 01-08-2014 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by rhklenke (Post 11705527)
Actually, to pick a little bit of nits, the Wasp is an amphibious assault ship. When you say "aircraft carrier" most people mean a ship of the CVN class - which the F-35C is having a bit of problems operating off of...

Bob

Bob,
Thank you - you are exactly correct. As mind boggling as it is, Lockheed Martin has designed a carrier-based aircraft with the tail hook point too close to the main landing gear and despite correct glide slope and angle of attack approaches, the tail hook "hook skips" the arresting cables and the aircraft does not arrest on the flight deck. In carrier aviation terms, it is called a "bolter". That causes boarding rate problems, which leads to longer time into the wind for the carrier (tactically bad), more diverts because the airplane can't land on the carrier, etc., etc. ALL BAD. Meanwhile, the F-18 Super Hornet enjoys near 100% boarding rates at fractionally the operating cost of Lockheed Martin's stealthy, expensive jet. FWIW.
Regards,
Gus