RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   What would pick as the best turbine for bvm viper (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11638608-what-would-pick-best-turbine-bvm-viper.html)

LGM Graphix 04-30-2017 09:28 PM

What would pick as the best turbine for bvm viper

Not a viperjet. The old original bvm viper. Just made a deal on a really nice one. Should have it in a couple weeks. I'll likely fly it a few times with the original kbv82 for old time sake but would like to put a turbine in. Is there a conversion kit for a viper out there? Would a k45 be enough or a k60 be better?

Ehab 05-01-2017 01:16 AM

I had a Mercury in mine, I think I was the first one to convert it. No issues, but the LG mounts were too weak for the extra weight. Today, I'd put a 60 size in it for great performance, a 45 would be Ok too...Just make sure your LG mounts and retracts are serviced and in good condition.

Jamie C 05-01-2017 02:04 AM

I Like the sound of this, I have a couple of Vipers of which one is complete and under restoration and the other is a kit. I plan to fly mine on a Nelson/BVM 91 with Viojett fan but a small turbine has crossed my mind. It may just be a bit on the small side, will be interesting to see how yours works out. Do you have any pics of yours?

FalconWings 05-01-2017 03:25 AM

Jeremy, what will you use for fuel tanks? Space is very limited, so depending on how much fuel you can squeeze in a 45 size may become a necessity.

jason 05-01-2017 05:41 AM

It's not available just yet but the M70 will be the perfect power plant for all the retro jets like the Aggressors, vipers, Mavericks etc.

Jason

LGM Graphix 05-01-2017 07:43 AM

I haven't got the jet yet. It's a long time friend of mine who built it probably in the late 80's and finally decided to let it go after not flying it for the past 18 years. No idea on tanks or otherwise yet. There will be a fair bit of checking things over to do I'm sure. It's flown many times but nothing more than a collapsed nose gear ever for damage.

ozief16 05-01-2017 08:47 AM

Gary mueller from jet tech turned a bvm f-16 (the original little one) sized centerline tank into a useable fuel tank that holds 78 oz as I recall. I had one back when and it was awesome. That might be a great way to squeeze some gas into that plane. The tank has a flat-ish crosssection so it would work with low ground clearance as well. I think a bunch of guys used them on converted mavs and such. Plus Gary is a great guy to deal with as well

Dave

Art ARRO 05-01-2017 12:34 PM

Jeremy,
Exactly which version of the BVM Viper do you wish to convert to turbine power? There was the original Viper, which can be identified by its one-piece wing and belly hatch. This version used special BVM saddle tanks- about 9 oz capacity each- squeezed into the fuselage. The later Ultra Viper version used plug-in wings, a wider fuselage, for standard Sullivan DF-11 fuel tanks. This fuselage was shared by the Aggressor III, Maverick and Mav-Pro. Both Vipers utilized flaperons which were a bear to setup correctly before computer radios. The Ultra Viper would be preferred for turbine conversion and even so it would be a major effect. As a point of reference, I converted an early DL Cyclone from Dynamax/ K&B 82 power to a FTE-500 turbine-similar to the RAM 500. I had to literally re-engineer the entire model to fit sufficient fuel for a decent flight. I used 5 fuel cells, including a belly/ventral tank to provide about 50 oz of fuel. I flew the conversion for several years but it always took a beating due to its weight and lack of flaps for landing ease. I'd recommend one of the newer turbines, with kero start, integrated solenoids, a mini ECU of at least 10 lbs of thrust. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Rgds,
Art ARRO

kevinthoele 05-01-2017 01:56 PM

K45 will do it. They flew on less fan power. Keep it light!!! The old F86 with Golden West was a 200 mph plane with 8 pounds of thrust. The viper would be 200 on a K45

smchale 05-01-2017 04:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I used jet tech tanks with a K60. Gary is great to deal with if you go that route.
K45 would work just fine.

TimD. 05-01-2017 05:24 PM

K-45 is all you need and over a pound lighter.

LGM Graphix 05-02-2017 08:09 AM

Wish I could edit my thread title, terrible grammar........ Can't find the edit button anywhere though.

Anyway, This is an early Viper, one piece wing that bolts on from underneath. Definitely not the ultra viper. I am not an electric guy but I did even look at the EVF system, I'll go turbine, it's far less money! If I had the batteries, chargers, etc etc etc already it MIGHT be a consideration but the EVF system is only $50 less than a brand new K45. Just can't see myself spending turbine money for vacuum cleaner internals LOL

LGM Graphix 05-02-2017 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by smchale (Post 12332346)
I used jet tech tanks with a K60. Gary is great to deal with if you go that route.
K45 would work just fine.

Sean, is that an original Viper or Ultra Viper?

Art ARRO 05-02-2017 08:53 AM

Jeremy,
On the early Viper you need to engineer the space for the fuel, and turbine accessories-ECU/solenoids/fuel pump/etc. A belly/ventral tank would be a hassle with the bolt-on wing from underneath although it may be possible for a one-piece model. I had to fabricate extra hatches on my Cyclone conversion. I have an early Aggressor I/II which I thought of converting to a Wren 44K but it was just too much hassle. Also, have a BVM EVF/10S Lipo system but I'll probably fly the model as a glow DF version as a nostalgia jet.
Rgds,
Art ARRO

FalconWings 05-02-2017 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix (Post 12332578)
Wish I could edit my thread title, terrible grammar........ Can't find the edit button anywhere though.
but the EVF system is only $50 less than a brand new K45. Just can't see myself spending turbine money for vacuum cleaner internals LOL

#RCUpostoftheyearnominee

smchale 05-02-2017 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix (Post 12332586)
Sean, is that an original Viper or Ultra Viper?

Honestly I'm not familiar with the lineage but I'm guessing original viper. one pce wing. I modified it to have separate flaps and ailerons but that's about it. i'll see if I have a photo of the tanks. they aren't the maverick tanks, they aren't shown on his website so email him, they were just over $200 shipped if I recall for the pair a couple years ago.

LGM Graphix 05-03-2017 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by smchale (Post 12332660)
Honestly I'm not familiar with the lineage but I'm guessing original viper. one pce wing. I modified it to have separate flaps and ailerons but that's about it. i'll see if I have a photo of the tanks. they aren't the maverick tanks, they aren't shown on his website so email him, they were just over $200 shipped if I recall for the pair a couple years ago.

I believe the one piece wing is the original viper, any pictures you could share of the inside changes you made would be appreciated. Who's website are you talking about? Gary Mueller (Jet tech)?
Thanks
Jeremy