RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   New Powerbox radio... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11641684-new-powerbox-radio.html)

Nige321 09-15-2017 12:08 AM

New Powerbox radio...

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...8e&oe=5A571F8B

E.N.T. 09-15-2017 05:41 AM

Boy; That's an ugly radio........

hmarmaizmd717

SECRET AGENT 09-15-2017 06:27 AM

Yikes, I have to agree with that statement.

ltc 09-15-2017 06:30 AM

The form factor looks very similar to the Jeti DS-16 handheld transmitter.
I actually like the looks, especially the display.

Nige321 09-15-2017 06:37 AM

If looks sell, I'm not sure Jeti has anything to worry about... Looks like a FRsky cast off...

THe Jeti looks worth the money - this looks cheap...

Zeeb 09-15-2017 07:42 AM

It's not only ugly as sin, I cannot see how the thing could possibly feel balanced in your hands or on a neckstrap with that display mounted where it is.

I like PB stuff and use it quite a bit, but I'll keep my current radios thank you very much.....

fireblade5437 09-15-2017 07:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I have just had this new radio in my hands this morning at JetPower and I can say:
Its well lighter than the DS24
The sticks are very light and smooth
The Tx is totally balanced and feels very nice in the hands
The display is VERY quick to update
Lastly yes I will be buying one...

Alan

Gordon W 09-15-2017 08:47 AM

The look doesn't bother me at all and the display is in a sensible position. What I'd like to know is if the top row of switches can be reached easily without having to stretch and look. My DX18 Tx has always been too tall in that respect, and I have quite long fingers. Also,the trim positions might need a bit of getting used to, though at least they should be easy to reach. Is the switch a push on-off type and if so is that safe? Presumably it requires a lo-o-ng press to activate it to avoid inadvertent operation.

Gordon

HarryC 09-15-2017 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Gordon W (Post 12368037)
. Is the switch a push on-off type and if so is that safe? Presumably it requires a lo-o-ng press to activate it to avoid inadvertent operation.

Gordon

Perhaps it is like the Jeti which requires a second, different button to be pressed to confirm it.

Dr Honda 09-15-2017 10:19 AM

Looks like a Multiplex radio. Do we know a price?

Erik van Dijen 09-15-2017 11:06 AM

powerbox radio.

Yes, Euro 2490,00
Erik.

Dave Wilshere 09-15-2017 01:15 PM

There is so much about this radio, the picture does not show it well. The details are prototype-Always a risk showing an un finished product.
The features are amazing, balance as Alan said is perfect, I have plenty of pre orders and we are along way from release.
its comfortable in my hands, switches are well laid out, you can put your finger between the two top corner switches and they don't 'switch'
When I'm back from the show I'll list more of what is in there.

David Searles 09-15-2017 01:43 PM

I don't understand the need for such a prominent visual display. If you're looking at that thing while in flight, you're just inviting trouble. Jmo

I like the current Weatronic size and location.

David S

Ron S 09-15-2017 02:15 PM

I like the placement of the screen. Should be easy for a spotter to see the display... I'd rather glance at the top of the transmitter for telemetry info, versus down at the bottom. Should be interesting.

Zeeb 09-15-2017 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Erik van Dijen (Post 12368058)
Yes, Euro 2490,00
Erik.

HOLY CH*T!!

There are LOTS of radio systems out there today and Weatronic was not successful, nor I suspect will PowerBox be with a price tag like that for an unproven system.

Edgar Perez 09-15-2017 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 12368108)
HOLY CH*T!!

There are LOTS of radio systems out there today and Weatronic was not successful, nor I suspect will PowerBox be with a price tag like that for an unproven system.

Weatronic was not commercially successful, but the technology and RF quality was way ahead of everyone. Understand this system uses the same RF technology, so looking forward to the finished product.

Fish07 09-15-2017 06:02 PM

:rolleyes:

paulhat 09-15-2017 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by David Searles (Post 12368099)
I don't understand the need for such a prominent visual display. If you're looking at that thing while in flight, you're just inviting trouble. Jmo

I like the current Weatronic size and location.

David S

Better screen resolution, size, brightness etc surely has to be a good thing. After all its the only thing we have to interact with the controllers settings.

olnico 09-15-2017 09:31 PM

The trim buttons are off center and difficult to reach. Shame because the sticks are nice and smooth and the screen a big step ahead of the competition.
Price point is an immediate no go when comparing this radio with the DS24 and its triple channel redundancy.
I hope that Powerbox will be able to drop the prices rapidly as soon as the system is going on production.

HarryC 09-15-2017 10:42 PM

I wish them success and I expect it will be a very desirable radio (superficial looks don't bother me, useability does), I think their problem will be that they are so late joining the party that potential buyers will be well entrenched with their Futaba/JR/Jeti system and will see no reason to change. It's not just the cost of the Tx but all the Rx as well. Faced with a total bill beyond 4000 euros people will struggle to see any value in it. It may well have great range, but if I have not had any range problems with my Fut/JR/Jeti then more range is of no value to me.
iirc, Powerbox said it would not be compatible with the Weatronic gizmo Rx, which will be a big disappointment to the Wea users because the amazing gizmo Rx was really the whole point of Weatronic.
It will be interesting to see the full, final specification and what it can offer that is of enough real world value to tempt people to change brands.

David Gladwin 09-16-2017 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=Zeeb;12368108]HOLY CH*T!!

There are LOTS of radio systems out there today and Weatronic was not successful, nor I suspect will PowerBox be with a price tag like that for an unproven system.[/QUOT

Wrong!
The Weatronics system was, and is, technically superbly successful. It failed commercially because of the premature and tragic death of one of its major investors and the removal of support by his subsequent estate managers who had no interest in rc.

I have been using it since day one, because of its huge capability and technical competence., 4 transmitters inc. a BAT 60 and 15 receivers.

The release of the Weatronics system was as big a breakthrough in RC technology as was the introduction of glass cockpits, INS and IRS and FMCS in airliner cockpits, now the standard.

With the technical quality, marketing expertise and customer support of Powerbox, this radio will be a success for those of us who want the most capable system.

My order is in, and I will do an in depth, and honest, objective, assessment in due course.

If you see me flying it ( as you currently do with 12 X and tx module) on my valuable models it will have my full endorsement.
DG.

jetmaven 09-16-2017 09:32 AM

It is butt ugly , maybe they'll offer it with a nice camouflage case .

Zeeb 09-16-2017 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by David Gladwin (Post 12368241)
My order is in, and I will do an in depth, and honest, objective, assessment in due course.

I'll be waiting with bated breath.....NOT

David Gladwin 09-16-2017 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 12368255)
I'll be waiting with bated breath.....NOT

.......your choice, I have a more open, and inquisitive, mind. ( and a helluva a lot of experience than most on the Weatronics concept)

You are just like the guys who, at first, questioned my considerable enthusiasm for the, then, new Boeing FMC equipped airliners when I was one of the very first captains who converted to them back in 1986! They eventually realised the enormous and invaluable progress made !

DG.

DG.

fireblade5437 09-16-2017 10:20 AM

16 Attachment(s)
Some pics of the system, had another chance to play with Tx today and I instantly recognised the programming layout/wording. The display is superb and very much real time in operation.
As with my Bat60 we had same comments, I am glad not everyone likes it as it leaves me with a great system and a unique system at the field that makes a change from what everyone one else has got :-) Plus I get one quicker as the ones who don't like it won't be buying it!

Alan

ravill 09-16-2017 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Having more choices is great for the hobby!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Attachment 2232177

Zeeb 09-16-2017 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by David Gladwin (Post 12368259)
.......your choice, I have a more open, and inquisitive, mind. ( and a helluva a lot of experience than most on the Weatronics concept)

You are just like the guys who, at first, questioned my considerable enthusiasm for the, then, new Boeing FMC equipped airliners when I was one of the very first captains who converted to them back in 1986! They eventually realised the enormous and invaluable progress made !

DG.

DG.

Oh GEE, an ex airborne bus driver..... I'm impressed..... Does that make your opinion more valued that someone else's? I think not....

Oli was the importer/distributor for Weatronics in the USA, if he's not impressed, I'm certainly not going to take your word over his.....

bem 09-16-2017 10:53 PM

First look (in German):

/Bo

Nige321 09-17-2017 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 12368372)
Oh GEE, an ex airborne bus driver..... I'm impressed..... Does that make your opinion more valued that someone else's? I think not....

Oli was the importer/distributor for Weatronics in the USA, if he's not impressed, I'm certainly not going to take your word over his.....

Perhaps 'Oli' hasn't got the same open mind Mr Gladwin has.
Please, when in hole, stop digging...

Doug Cronkhite 09-17-2017 01:32 AM

I've never been too concerned with how a radio looks.. since when I'm using it, I'm looking at the airplane, not the radio. Very curious what this radio offers that others don't..

ltc 09-17-2017 04:18 AM

So this radio is NOT Weatronic compatible? Is that true?

fireblade5437 09-17-2017 04:36 AM

I was talking with Richard at JP and his priority is obviously to get their own new Rx's done, if they do decide to to the firmware for the Micro Rx etc it will be a good while away, imo I don't think they ever will though.
So the answer to your question is 'True they are not compatible'

Alan

Originally Posted by ltc (Post 12368410)
So this radio is NOT Weatronic compatible? Is that true?

Edgar Perez 09-17-2017 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Erik van Dijen (Post 12368058)
Yes, Euro 2490,00
Erik.

Anyone know if that price include the European VAT? I think that is about 19% (?)

roger.alli 09-17-2017 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by fireblade5437 (Post 12368411)
I was talking with Richard at JP and his priority is obviously to get their own new Rx's done, if they do decide to to the firmware for the Micro Rx etc it will be a good while away, imo I don't think they ever will though.
So the answer to your question is 'True they are not compatible'

Alan

That's not good news Alan.. Not what I wanted to hear at all.
I would have thought there was a significant number of Weatronic users in Germany, to kick start sales of this radio. Oh well. My 12x/DV4 will last a bit longer I guess. .

bem 09-17-2017 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez (Post 12368541)
Anyone know if that price include the European VAT? I think that is about 19% (?)

Prices for consumer products are almost always with VAT in Europe. In Germany where Powerbox Systems reside VAT is 19% on most goods. I think most European countries has consumer law that require companies that sell to consumers must by law give price with VAT (at least that is the case in my country). To give price without VAT even at a fair if it is a mix of manufacturer. dealers and consumers. like at JetPower fair, is probably not forbidden but it make no sense to give price without VAT in this case since so many ordinary people (although from different parts of Europe mostly) visit a fair like this. At least to me I want to see prices with VAT even at a fair if consumers are welcome to a fair.

/Bo

hmjets 09-18-2017 01:55 AM

german video!

bem 09-18-2017 02:43 AM

Anyone know what material on both sides of transmitter, to hold the transmitter in the hand? Rubber?
/Bo

Dave Wilshere 09-18-2017 03:40 AM

Leather, I think. Its a material, completely non slip.
It has 4096 bit resolution, you can see by the servo monitor bars that move so fast (more expo needed :-)
Four Rx's will be available at release, Satellite to 9 channel pwm type. There are no pots in this Tx. When there are updates available you can send them to the Rx's from the Tx...you don't have to remove them from the model to update!
It has 2 Tx batteries of 3.2Ah, it has like the PB units two circuits controlling the power supply. The Linux PC control allows a lot of adaptation, the display is clear in bright sunlight, colour changes to the display take seconds, so you can fine what works for your eyes! The screen buttons along the lower edge are easy and quick to use. Dual Tx aerials are incorporated, the system has built in redundancy...as you would expect from Powerbox

Its cool, we can't wait

Edgar Perez 09-18-2017 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by bem (Post 12368605)
Prices for consumer products are almost always with VAT in Europe. In Germany where Powerbox Systems reside VAT is 19% on most goods. I think most European countries has consumer law that require companies that sell to consumers must by law give price with VAT (at least that is the case in my country). To give price without VAT even at a fair if it is a mix of manufacturer. dealers and consumers. like at JetPower fair, is probably not forbidden but it make no sense to give price without VAT in this case since so many ordinary people (although from different parts of Europe mostly) visit a fair like this. At least to me I want to see prices with VAT even at a fair if consumers are welcome to a fair.

/Bo

This is good news for those of us outside of Europe since the cost is actually ~2,092 EUR.
Still think its too high though...

fireblade5437 09-18-2017 11:24 AM

Yes I agree, but after playing with the set and knowing its RF heritage this set will sell, It really felt good to hold..I will be getting one at least I wont have to learn too much about programming it!
I still use my MX24s with DV4 module (wires internal in mounting pole) and also BAT60
Just got back from JetPower on my motorcycle even my wife commented the jets on show are getting larger!

Alan

Originally Posted by roger.alli (Post 12368591)
That's not good news Alan.. Not what I wanted to hear at all.
I would have thought there was a significant number of Weatronic users in Germany, to kick start sales of this radio. Oh well. My 12x/DV4 will last a bit longer I guess. .