RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   1/6 Scale F-18 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11644483-1-6-scale-f-18-build.html)

tp777fo 12-26-2018 02:12 PM

Thats bull****. Paying $6-7k for an ARF should give you more than a journey on reengineering, using borescopes to check glue joints, placing hinge blocks in wings and elevators or sanding and replacing decals that dont match side to side. Oh yeah dont forget canopies that implode on test flights, flutter so bad it looks like a wounded pigeon and screws made of recycled coors cans. All that after waiting 6 months after you PAID IN FULL!

FenderBean 12-26-2018 04:09 PM

I was also told since these are kits they will not be perfect and again the customer should fix any issues found. :(

Anyway I want go back there and I’m over it. From now on I will just do one finished in primer and none of the “pro work”
like I said trying not to think about it, as long as the repaint successfully I will be happy, I’m not very good at painting.

Chris Nicastro 12-26-2018 11:00 PM

If enough people are made aware of these issues then they can make an informed buying decision. I hope that translates into fewer units sold so the company can make improvements but you know usually that also turns into " well it didn't sell so lets not make it anymore " rather than listen to customer feedback and fix it. Then the product can sell very well! Who knew!

I agree the "Pro Work " is anything but Pro but I can also tell you the bare kit is a lot more work. Even my plain white SM 1/6 F-16 came with the gear basically installed but the doors do not close tight. I have to tear it apart to paint the gear and see what's up with the main doors. There is body work to do and replacing the rivet details, etc, etc...

Wish I could help you in the paint, if you have any questions just post them or PM me. Too bad you don't live closer or I'd paint it for you!

gunradd 12-27-2018 12:57 PM

Painting is cake! Go with latex it’s pretty much all I use anymore.

FenderBean 12-27-2018 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by gunradd (Post 12488790)
Painting is cake! Go with latex it’s pretty much all I use anymore.

The problem Im having is getting the proper colors, I have a very specific color set. Waiting on the last color for a couple months now, the colors I have are from Taliormade and its acrylic. With a matte finish two part epoxy clear to cover everything to include the decals once base coats are done.

Viper1GJ 12-27-2018 04:24 PM

Keith, what kind of epoxy clear are you using to clear coat with?
Gary

Levi Wags 12-27-2018 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ (Post 12488839)
Keith, what kind of epoxy clear are you using to clear coat with?
Gary

Gary I think Ralle supplies a polyurethane two pack clear mate. I think that’s what Keith meant. Never use an epoxy clear as it will yellow. The paints Ralle supplies are base coat automotive acrylic, which is a confusing name as they are solvent based not water based.

FenderBean 12-27-2018 07:58 PM

um its just says 2k clear on tailormades site, im not sure what it is. Has a two part mix with hardener?

Levi, would be interested to see how thy fixed your flaps? Im really getting tired of being the guy that brings all the bad to light, they gave me sooooo much crap about that and then they turn around and change it. Glad u dont have to deal with my issues just very sour with this company that they even think the orig design was a good idea, sticking a ball end ball inside carbon fiber with some CA to mold it?
Also you may want to test your primer, they don't sand anything but the seems so the majority of the jet is smooth so your primer may not hold up, It peels off pretty easy

Chris Nicastro 12-27-2018 08:51 PM

Take some masking tape and do a tape pull test on the paint to check adhesion if you want to know. Or try high pressure air. Either way if the paint comes off that just means they didn’t prep the surface at all. It has to be roughed up with a scotch bright pad at least and wax/mold release remover has to be wiped on it too. There’s several out there but a paint prep cleaner will do the trick after scotch padding the surface to a matt finish. Then shoot the primer and paint etc..

Levi Wags 12-28-2018 02:18 AM

Thanks Fender and Chris. It looks to be etched well. I can see scratch marks from sanding too. With the flaps I’m guessing the main issue for everyone was the hinge was carbon moving on carbon and that was binding? They have now added a little brass Busch or ball between the carbon plates and it moves freely now
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...e2d8d7e87.jpeg

FenderBean 12-28-2018 07:27 AM

Levi that’s the same design we all have Mate, mine has the same setup.

Levi Wags 12-28-2018 12:17 PM

Ahh ok Fender. I’m not sure what the difference is then mate. I’ll take more photos

FenderBean 12-28-2018 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Levi Wags (Post 12488994)
Ahh ok Fender. I’m not sure what the difference is then mate. I’ll take more photos

Plus that's a lot of torque on those little screws that u can bend by hand.

Levi Wags 12-30-2018 08:42 PM

Here’s some more photos of my flap set up Fender. They have mounted a double carbon horn in the flap LE which is great.
What was the final verdict on aileron horn location? As suggested attaching it to the carbon hinge looks like the best option.https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...d27b3db00.jpeg

FenderBean 12-30-2018 09:29 PM

This is the exactly how I did mine after seeing the above mods, to include a double horn. The problem is the crap hinges with with a metal ball popped out of ball end type rod end stuck in carbon with CA to hold it. It’s the best option for their design. The ailerons are the my biggest worry. It’s one thing to change something after seeing other, it’s another to put out a notice to prior customers with mod instructions. Thanks for the pictures, you are exactly why I do these, it helps people after the fact.

AndyAndrews 12-30-2018 10:38 PM

Not to disparage Fenders great work, but reading through all of this I'm glad I bought a BVM.

Levi Wags 12-31-2018 02:32 AM

The BVM Hornet is good if you like sport scale.

gunradd 12-31-2018 06:40 AM

Funny how they don’t even follow their own instruction manual... the instructions have the flaps done the other way and it has no tourque. So we came up with the way they have it now to make it work.

I think it it might be the way to go and just have them make the plane plug and play so you can at least see how it’s supposed to be done. Then again the pro installation on the gear lights and canopy was all wrong so who knows how they build the rest of it.

Ad Clark 12-31-2018 09:18 AM

Thanks for sharing your photos and constructive comments Levi.

Auburn02 12-31-2018 01:49 PM

Shots fired!

AndyAndrews 12-31-2018 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Levi Wags (Post 12489709)
The BVM Hornet is good if you like sport scale.

From what I'm reading it's not to scale out of the box.

Ad Clark 12-31-2018 04:41 PM

My comments were in no way related to whether one model was scale or not. It was a simple "thank you" for some nice photos and the sharing of his linkage set-up. No shots fired by me. If it was interpreted that way that was not my intention.

Thanks fellas,

Levi Wags 12-31-2018 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ad Clark (Post 12489779)
Thanks for sharing your photos and constructive comments Levi.

Ad Clark it was directed at me not you mate. Bit of friendly banter. Thanks for your comments Ad. Guys like Fender and Gunrad are helping the next guys like me have a better experience so thank you to them. Good news is as I said earlier Skymaster have done a superb job on my Hornet in every way. Unfortunately when you are amongst the first batch of people to receive one of these new complicated jets, you have the benefit of being the envy of everyone at the field which is cool, you’re also a pioneer and can pay the ultimate price. I’m not saying it’s right, but that’s just how it’s always been. In this case Skymaster have listened to feedback from guys like Gunrad and Fender and responded well. However it’s very early days for me yet, I’ll be satisfied when I’ve got a dozen flights under my belt.

Ad Clark 12-31-2018 06:07 PM

Roger that Levi--"just a little rubbing" as they say

I very much appreciate everyone sharing their detailed photos and linkage geometry setups etc. Please keep your pics coming. Fender is doing a great job of sharing his setups. Thanks to everyone and I'm sure your Hornet will be very rewarding when you are done.

Fly Navy !!!

FenderBean 12-31-2018 09:52 PM

Ultimately it’s what it will be for me, despite the headaches and the high blood pressure at times the challenge is part of the fun I guess. If they want do right then we as builders will, Happy New Year!