RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   1/6 Scale F-18 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11644483-1-6-scale-f-18-build.html)

FenderBean 01-28-2018 05:51 PM

1/6 Scale F-18 Build

20 Attachment(s)
Welp that time again, such a nice day outside I had to get out to the trailer and do something so I did a few things on this jet. Going to be a much longer build due to life and not having a traditional shop at the moment. So like always I will start off with my good, the bad, the ugly and these are just my opinions.

The Jet took about eight months to get and it showed up in two boxes with the typical packaging. The "Good" thing I finally received a jet with nothing damaged! Its a nice size with some really descent detail work out of the mold and the cockpit are pretty good compared to what you normally get. I really like the beefed up nose steering and the mains a good enough detail for the model. I ordered everything minus the air kit, I dont bother with this since I never use the stuff they send in it. I liked how the hardware package was sectioned off with group items as well. I also like the canopy system once I made a few changes to the current design.

The bad things so far have been worse than I have seen from this company but what ever, its just how they do business. So the flap system while it may work isnt ideal so it goes under the bad. The installing slat hinges incorrectly causing a bent slat once the wire is installed, 1/4 in difference in the wings. They are sending new hinges but the others will require butchering the slat to remove. One of the flap gap panels is twisted and will have to be straightened some how. They also for got the fuel tanks and fuel items as well as the tip missiles but they are on the way and should be here soon.

The "Ugly", the decals are wrong color and the clear coat is very milky due to either applying while cold or damp. The paint is super thin is areas allowing underneath colors to show through as well as the white gel coat on spots. They did refund me the $500 they charge to paint so that will help on the repaint materials, I also went ahead and contacted tailormade decals to have new decals and paint mask made. Main wheels are small and the nose are too large as well as the catapult arm, but Im going to trim it and make it closer to scale. Plus the nose wheel light is inside the fuse but they have designed a new one that looks better and sits in the correct location.

FenderBean 01-28-2018 05:57 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Okay so RCU is painfully slow to upload pictures now

FenderBean 01-28-2018 06:09 PM

16 Attachment(s)
The first thing I worked on was the canopy lock and unlock, its pretty cool how it works but the stock wasn't properly done and I wouldn't trust it in flight. The setup requires one air cylinder to pull the canopy back and up, this pulls the two metal rods out of the front support holes. Then it also pulls it up which gives a gap for the canopy to open without binding on the back frame. I got some videos of how it works im uploading to my youtube page. I decided to dump the air and convert mine to electric, im using the Actuonix liner servos and actuators instead....This will save a lot of extra valves and accessories for this are, im also ditching the speed brake air cylinders and running two liner servos as well. All in all this setup saves weight, its cheaper and no air to leak out.

The canopy opens with a second air cylinder that im using a 100mm stroke actuator on and the unlock is on 20mm stroke. I just simply removed the unlock cylinder and glued in a small ply mount and attached the linear servo. I had to trim the metal wire that holds the canopy on because it would let the canopy move up and back far enough. After I trimmed it I was able to get an 1/8" gap to almost an inch, this will allow me to make longer metal rods to lock into the front frame and prevent the canopy coming open in flight. The front frame is very thin and will require some beefing up as well to prevent the rods from tearing the composite out.

FenderBean 01-28-2018 06:19 PM

28 Attachment(s)
The unlock done, I had to trim the little thin cross beam, but it served no purpose that i can tell the hatch is very rigid and once bolted down I dont see any issue with removing it.
Videos are up on my channel the link is in my signature, click the playlist tab on the page u will see the f-18 videos! Cheers

FenderBean 01-28-2018 08:36 PM

Here is a link to the finished unlock/lock video, cheers!

patrnflyr 01-29-2018 12:18 PM

Glad you’re doing this Keith. I’ve been enjoying your videos since the old FEJ days. You’ll turn this into a masterpiece. Looking forward to meeting you at one of the “local” jet meets here in Texas.
John S Johnson

FenderBean 01-29-2018 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by patrnflyr (Post 12401902)
Glad you’re doing this Keith. I’ve been enjoying your videos since the old FEJ days. You’ll turn this into a masterpiece. Looking forward to meeting you at one of the “local” jet meets here in Texas.
John S Johnson

I wish I could do more but these things cost too much lol, I will be at the Waco event again this year hopefully so maybe I will see you there!

lavi rider 01-30-2018 05:35 AM

More like an assembly thread I would say ...

Digital Pilot 01-30-2018 07:30 AM

It all falls under the same category: Building, assembly, construct, connect and so on.

Not to pull away from Fenders thread but there is still a lot of things to build on these ARFS. So much that people still pay big $$$ to have them built. Just because one does not do the sheeting, glassing and painting doesn't mean that they are not building the kit. Who cares right.... Don't bash because someone is building an ARF as this is the way it is now. I know fender and if he wanted he could scratch build whatever but why when you can get all of the major work done out of the box and save a bunch of money and time.

Sorry for my rant. just urks me...

Auburn02 01-30-2018 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by lavi rider (Post 12402106)

LOL

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...ld-thread.html

SECRET AGENT 01-30-2018 07:43 AM

Something about a pot calling a kettle black amuses me. Ha!

FenderBean 01-30-2018 08:24 AM

well considering I have to, apply some carbon and resin, repaint the whole jet, fabricate things to hold tanks, redo engine mounts, tear the cockpit apart to lighten and some beef up servo mounts I would lean towards a build. I can build a kadet senior that comes as a box of balsa faster than this thing. Plus these are to help people, spark ideas and even help someone make a very expensive decision more educated, but If they are not wanted I can save all the time and post them to my Facebook.

Beside I did one thing so far and have more than met builder requirements! I brainstormed, measured, cut wood, sanded it, drilled holes, assembled nuts and bolts and finally glued parts! :cool:

FenderBean 01-30-2018 08:43 AM

Also Another GOOD I forgot to mention, if you look at the picture above with the main gear you will notice the nice metal T fittings. All the others I have had were the yellow plastic fittings that break when u breath on them. They look just like the fittings I had already bought and I will be using them. The airline is okay but I use my own so it’s up to you, stock is much stiffer than what I use.

The gear is designed very well and with some crazy skills like I have seen people have the gear could be a work of Art. The F-18 landing gear is a focal point in my opinion. I will remove mine, disassemble it then prime, paint and add some detail.

I already mention the cockpits but they are closer than any I have seen them produce so far. That being said I will put the weight under the BAD. It’s nothing crazy and most wouldn’t care but the instrument panels are very thick and are the source of all the weight. So just like the other four SM jets I have built I will simply give the belt sander some love and sand the backside of the two instrument panels and the four side panels. They are very thick and this adds a lot of weight, the buckets, seats and dash panels are very light melting in sun materials.

I forgot to mention this but if your here in the US and plan to order something from SM I highly recommend using a dealer. Its easier and cost is the same either way but you get someone else working for you to resolve any issues that may pop up. I went through Pacific Rc Jets on this one, I have known Dirk and Barry long before they started up with SM and are very professional and friendly. They do a lot behind the scene trying to make things better for the hobby and give the best experience possible.

ravill 01-30-2018 10:26 AM

Throwing stones and glass houses....

Oh, and if you can’t say something nice.....stfu ;-)

This kit looks awesome btw!

skunkwurk 01-30-2018 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by FenderBean (Post 12402159)
well considering I have to, apply some carbon and resin, repaint the whole jet, fabricate things to hold tanks, redo engine mounts, tear the cockpit apart to lighten and some beef up servo mounts I would lean towards a build. I can build a kadet senior that comes as a box of balsa faster than this thing. Plus these are to help people, spark ideas and even help someone make a very expensive decision more educated, but If they are not wanted I can save all the time and post them to my Facebook.

Beside I did one thing so far and have more than met builder requirements! I brainstormed, measured, cut wood, sanded it, drilled holes, assembled nuts and bolts and finally glued parts! :cool:

Fender,

Don't get discouraged, there are many of us interested in your build threads on RCU. I personally, and many others I know, don't spend any time on FB. So it's all good bud. Oh and B1BOB is still MIA, so we need more of your videos too. Keep them coming.

lavi rider 01-31-2018 05:31 AM

you totally missed my point ....
A. If all that you stated is required to assemble this so caked ARF then it clearly falls under a kit description.
B. A build by definition is creating parts out of raw material , I’m a builder too :-)... while an assembly is putting ready made parts together ..
C. It’s just amazing that some companies call a product an ARF , charging high dollar for it but it’s not even close to be a true ARF after all ...

So , I wasn’t trying to offend anyone ... if one does feel offended I apologize of course ....

lavi rider 01-31-2018 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by ravill (Post 12402200)
Throwing stones and glass houses....

Oh, and if you can’t say something nice.....stfu ;-)

This kit looks awesome btw!

excatly ...... ;-)

Bigells 02-06-2018 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by FenderBean (Post 12401705)
Okay so RCU is painfully slow to upload pictures now

Hi Keith......Did you mention the maker of the kit?
If it has any problems I'm sure you can work them out...good luck.
Bigells

FenderBean 02-06-2018 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bigells (Post 12404139)
Hi Keith......Did you mention the maker of the kit?
If it has any problems I'm sure you can work them out...good luck.
Bigells

it’s a Skymaster

FenderBean 02-19-2018 04:17 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Not much to report, I received the rest of my items not sure what happened with the wingtip missiles they normally come with a 3mm screw installed to slide into the lolipop slots on the pylons. These just came with two big holes on them that are no where near the lolipop slots on the rails. Fuel tanks came as well, the two saddles are good the main tank had a random hole cut in it at a very odd location so it will need to be plugged and new holes cut for the fittings. I also got the replacement hinges for the leading edge slat, I was bored today so I managed to get the old hinges out. Horrible time but they are out and the slat is in one piece still.

tp777fo 02-19-2018 04:51 PM

And you paid how much for that POS?

FenderBean 02-19-2018 05:17 PM

The beginning is going to be a bit rough since I have to fix a lot of things but once I get to heart of the build it will be more positive. Not trying to be so negative or bash just doing what I always do, share my experience.

found a good source for two of the colors I need for the repaint, once I find a source for the other two I will fill a bit better. I went ahead and ordered some Taylormade decals and paint mask. I also got landing gear decals and missiles, so once completed it should be a beautiful
jet.

The old decals come off easy, you can scrape them off with your fingernails.

tp777fo 02-19-2018 06:18 PM

Not picking on you but we pay thousands for some of the ARFs that are dog crap. Missing parts, misaligned parts, poor paint, hardware made of potmetal We have to replace airlines, cylinders, nuts bolts and screws. I too have one in the shop that has required lots of re-engeering. servo placement that required insane geometry, gear doors that would make the pope cuss...and on and on. Luckily I bought mine as a plain white kit from another guy who unfortunately for him took the hit...but I get the headache. Until we call these cheezy manufacturers out for producing high dollar junk they will just keep producing crap that requires too much work for an ARF. There are some goof ARFs out there and some real junk. They pump them out and we are the beta testers.

FenderBean 02-19-2018 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by tp777fo (Post 12407237)
Not picking on you but we pay thousands for some of the ARFs that are dog crap. Missing parts, misaligned parts, poor paint, hardware made of potmetal We have to replace airlines, cylinders, nuts bolts and screws. I too have one in the shop that has required lots of re-engeering. servo placement that required insane geometry, gear doors that would make the pope cuss...and on and on. Luckily I bought mine as a plain white kit from another guy who unfortunately for him took the hit...but I get the headache. Until we call these cheezy manufacturers out for producing high dollar junk they will just keep producing crap that requires too much work for an ARF. There are some goof ARFs out there and some real junk. They pump them out and we are the beta testers.

I completely agree with you, I have been pretty vocal about it all and ultimately Sm will give the same old response while nothing changes. This has been outside the norm even for them so not sure what’s up.

tp777fo 02-19-2018 06:31 PM

I call them "painted turds" scrape off the nice paint and you still have crap.

FenderBean 02-19-2018 06:51 PM

I would have been much happier with that, having to repaint this thing is a pain.

FenderBean 02-21-2018 03:59 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Well with much difficulty I have two hinges in and correct alignment!!!!!! Dang weather got cold again so nothing else can be done. No heat in the hobby trailer but I did do a quick video on the work I did yesterday. I still have to add the three middle hinges but they will be easy since the end hinges are in. I mixed up some hysol and install the hinges and waited two hours for the hysol to cure some. Then I installed the slat on the wing with the pin hinge and adjusted for the perfect fit while the hysol was still soft. The slat now moves freely like the other wing, I think after seeing how they glued in these I will do some beef up on the other slat hinges as well.
video is up on my youtube channel

lavi rider 02-21-2018 10:57 PM

“arf”...

Exactly as I wrote here and was bashed for it ....
An ARF should be an assembly ... not a build ...
We are to be blamed for the situation , until we change our forgiving attitude towards these companies forcing them to either provide what we pay for or adjusting their prices to equal the quality of what they supply , nothing will change .... frankly why should it ... the manufacturers get away with it so they keep on selling high dollar crap and we take it for gold .
Would one buy a should be quality car that its doors fail , paint coming off etc’ , etc’.....????? I BET NO ONE WILL !

yeahbaby 02-22-2018 10:35 AM

Nice work amigo, keep at it and once it’s all done this pita stuff will be a distant memory. Btw it’s a LEF ( leading edge flap ) not slat. Can’t wait to hear your impressions of the decals from Ralle at Taylor made

FenderBean 02-22-2018 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by yeahbaby (Post 12407930)
Nice work amigo, keep at it and once it’s all done this pita stuff will be a distant memory. Btw it’s a LEF ( leading edge flap ) not slat. Can’t wait to hear your impressions of the decals from Ralle at Taylor made

Yelp in the video I said flap but who keeping track lol it will be my first set so once I get them I will post about it.

yeahbaby 02-22-2018 05:24 PM

Go get em tiger. I just love reading Slats on every Plane that has moving surfaces. good on ya for taking time to share your experience for others to learn from.

FenderBean 02-22-2018 05:50 PM

I think my brain associates flap with trailing edge and slat for leading edge so I always say slat for everything leading edge even when I know it’s a flap.
looking forward to Waco again since it will be after I get back from Germany

yeahbaby 02-23-2018 04:12 AM

Waco will be a welcome and much needed relief. Everyone says slat amigo, mildly amusing to me.

jetspud 02-23-2018 07:10 AM

But what are they on a 737 ��

Desert Fox 1 02-23-2018 08:23 AM

4 Attachment(s)
jetspud,
The Boeing 737 has both. Inboard of engine pylon are leading edge flaps and outboard of engine pylon are leading edge slats.

Cheers!
Desert Fox 1

yeahbaby 02-23-2018 11:30 AM

Keep them build photos coming!!

FenderBean 02-23-2018 01:01 PM

When your hobby room is an enclosed trailer with not much heat can’t do much. I am installing the other three flap hinges atm and once done and finished I will post more pictures. I also need to re-drill the pivot hole in the carbon control arm. It’s going to be tough considering how thick it is and close to the original hole

FenderBean 02-23-2018 02:20 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Leading edge flap, is fixed and the wire was easy to install just like the other wing. I will make a 1mm adjustment to the very end hinge so it sets flush but other than that just more hysol and wood patching to cover the rest of the gaps around the pin hinges. Uggh and don't ask my why everything is turned 90 degrees with the pictures?

mr_matt 02-23-2018 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by yeahbaby (Post 12407930)

Hey Buck what is the total throw (downwards) of a C/D LEF?

yeahbaby 02-23-2018 03:09 PM

Been a long time anigo.... but from memory upwards of 30 units which I couldn’t tell you what the aoa equivalent would be. Suffice it to say, if you had pylons on the bird they have the capability to deflect nearly to the point of touching them. You can dig around and find videos of a BIT check where all flight controls move to test the system and see what I’m talking about.