RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Will US jet flyers suffer because of Trumps latest tarriff rants? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11650881-will-us-jet-flyers-suffer-because-trumps-latest-tarriff-rants.html)

Boomerang1 06-29-2018 06:01 PM

Will US jet flyers suffer because of Trumps latest tarriff rants?

Just wondering. Also ride motorcycles & noticed stories of gloom & doom regarding Harley (more overseas plants?)
and Indian facing tariffs in Europe in retaliation for rumoured US tariffs on European goods.

Most modelling goodies come from outside the US these days, prices & availability?

flyinfool1 07-09-2018 01:06 PM

Harley was targeted because they are friendly with Trump and do a LOT of business in Europe. Harley sold over 40,000 bike in Europe just last year. I doubt if there are 40,000 jets in existence let alone sold in a year. We are such a tiny market that I would be surprised if we would get targeted. All of these tariff BS is going after big industries where it will leave a mark and cause pain to the greatest number of people.

newshoundaussie 07-09-2018 02:50 PM

It will hit our hobby eventually if this keeps up. Not to think so is foolish.

u2fast 07-09-2018 04:42 PM

hasn't the 35% vat tax already hit the hobby hard in Europe

yeahbaby 07-09-2018 07:02 PM

Time to start scratch building.

siclick33 07-09-2018 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by u2fast (Post 12446063)
hasn't the 35% vat tax already hit the hobby hard in Europe

What 35% VAT rate?

I’m not aware of any European countries with VAT rates that high.

Ceeray 07-10-2018 02:08 AM

25% is max VAT but thats too much still...

u2fast 07-10-2018 03:50 AM

23% 35% ? i was asking. but a vat is just like a tariff in my book it discourages trade from outside.

FalconWings 07-10-2018 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by u2fast (Post 12446118)
23% 35% ? i was asking. but a vat is just like a tariff in my book it discourages trade from outside.

Value Added Tax, if I'm not mistaken, should only apply domestic sales. When you visit Europe, they reimburse VAT at the airport given you keep the receipts and your final destination is outside EU.
At least that was the case last time I went to Spain and Mexico.

Auburn02 07-10-2018 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by FalconWings (Post 12446132)
Value Added Tax, if I'm not mistaken, should only apply domestic sales. When you visit Europe, they reimburse VAT at the airport given you keep the receipts and your final destination is outside EU.
At least that was the case last time I went to Spain and Mexico.

Yeah, any time I've shopped on a Euro site it talks about EU buyers having to add VAT, but non-EU buyers do not so it's actually the opposite of a tariff. Basically I consider VAT their version of sales tax, just like if I buy something from a store without a presence in my state I don't pay state sales tax at the point of sale. But residents from that state would.

olnico 07-10-2018 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Auburn02 (Post 12446137)
Basically I consider VAT their version of sales tax,

This is correct. It is a sales tax. And deductible for manufacturing companies, so that only the end user pays it, once. Hence "value added".
VAT is between 15% and 20% in Europe.

modtron 07-10-2018 09:31 AM

Any sales that I do to the USA are automatically zero rated for tax and marked as EXPORT goods.
You will still however, be liable for your own import taxes at the time of delivery.

modtron
Oxford UK

TimD. 07-10-2018 09:46 AM

The Only two guarantees in life = Taxes and Death

Zeeb 07-10-2018 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by modtron (Post 12446200)
Any sales that I do to the USA are automatically zero rated for tax and marked as EXPORT goods.
You will still however, be liable for your own import taxes at the time of delivery.

modtron
Oxford UK

Model airplane stuff is exempt from import duties in the USA. A tariff on the other hand, is a tax and not exempt. Radio Control stuff is explicitly mentioned on the list of items coming from China for those tariffs.

ledd4u 07-10-2018 12:24 PM

I will let you know in 6-8 weeks

tp777fo 07-10-2018 01:12 PM

Zeeb. Please list your source of tariff. I cant find any mention of tariff on model aircraft.

Zeeb 07-10-2018 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by tp777fo (Post 12446262)
Zeeb. Please list your source of tariff. I cant find any mention of tariff on model aircraft.

There's a post buy that "Ken" guy that I cannot remember his last name right now but he's always the example of calm and thoughtful if that means anything to you? Anyway, he posted a link to the document over on FG.

edit info:
That guy's user name is "Aeroken". I just kind of breezed through FG but didn't spot it this time. If/when I see it again I'll link it (the FG thread) here.

newshoundaussie 07-10-2018 05:31 PM

If this continues tariffs will apply if not already to hobby equipment from China and the EU when they enter the US. Look for a 25% increase on all imported products. Thankyou US government for starting this. China defiantly needs to be put in check, just not sure this is the best way to go about it by attacking your allies also . Extended trade wars usually end up with everyone suffering, example The Great Depression.

modtron 07-11-2018 05:35 AM

Model airplane stuff is exempt from import duties in the USA
That surprises me, as a lot of my USA customers have told me that they have had to cover the import duties / customs charges, that were applied.

modtron
Oxford UK

patf 07-11-2018 06:02 AM

I will offer our construction budgets are being bumped $2 a foot for interior finish outs, may be a little reactive until the real cost of the tariffs settle out. you may not see it directly applied to your kit or radio, but you will feel it elsewhere...

tp777fo 07-11-2018 08:50 AM

At one time I had the customs page that showed models were exempt from tariffs. I argued with many customs pukes even after showing them the pages but I never paid tariff on any model airplane parts. They just pulled crap out of the air untill i called them on it. The major shippers and even some model manufacturers make extra from us by charging for tariffs that are not actually charged.

Zeeb 07-11-2018 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by modtron (Post 12446417)
That surprises me, as a lot of my USA customers have told me that they have had to cover the import duties / customs charges, that were applied.

modtron
Oxford UK

I've bought everything from a Pilot in England to a Tomahawk model from Germany and not had to pay any import duty.

Desertlakesflying 07-12-2018 09:35 AM

China will not be able to withstand what is currently happening long enough to trickle down to us. The biggest problem with this whole trade/tariff reporting is the blatant anti Trump bias of the media which is no longer independent.

Zeeb 07-14-2018 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by tp777fo (Post 12446458)
At one time I had the customs page that showed models were exempt from tariffs. I argued with many customs pukes even after showing them the pages but I never paid tariff on any model airplane parts. They just pulled crap out of the air untill i called them on it. The major shippers and even some model manufacturers make extra from us by charging for tariffs that are not actually charged.

Here's the link to his post on FG with the link to the Government list on tariffs;

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...&postcount=314

Gonzalo38 07-31-2018 04:19 AM

Already some announcements in terms of price increases. This time for some Futaba equipment manufactured in China.....

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...69fbebe13e.png