RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   kingtech turbine rc engine k70g2 fatal problem (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11656321-kingtech-turbine-rc-engine-k70g2-fatal-problem.html)

ravill 11-08-2018 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by rhklenke (Post 12477120)
As I mentioned above, I had an engine from another manufacturer that did the same thing *twice*. It came to pass that that engine developed a history of doing that, so when I sent mine in, it was repaired at no cost to me (*twice*). I did hear from other guys with that engine that the first few times it happened there was some push-back from the manufacturer that it was a user problem, not an engine problem. However, after the engines started coming back with the same issue, the manufacturer realized that it *was* an engine problem and they came out with a new compressor and started replacing the ones on the failed engines for no cost.

Different manufacturer, same issue and initial response. See Len's post above - it can happen to any of them...

If you want bullet-proof tanks, go with AMT's or old JetCat P-120's... :cool:

Bob

The toyota Camry of the rc jet world!

Vincent 11-08-2018 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by ravill (Post 12477126)
The toyota Camry of the rc jet world!

As long as it’s not the P120 with the blue cover :rolleyes:
Vin

Mabelsanca 11-09-2018 03:14 AM

Good I just read the post, because I have been very worried, I am also a holder of one of the first K70G2 and today I will have done with it from 15 to 18 flights and at the moment without surprises but I am afraid it happens to me and I can not land the whole airplane in one piece. I just sent an email to the manufacturer, because I think I understand Barry, apparently it does not happen in all of them but who guarantees to me that mine will not fail!

Equally the wisest thing I think it would be to stop flying and send it for its update, to see that they answer me, I need more light about it!

Greetings.

DepecheMode101 11-09-2018 07:01 AM

@Barry
I have a k70 new in the box. Can I get my money back?

DepecheMode101 11-09-2018 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by marquisvns (Post 12476933)
The testing process is lengthy, so no new engine will be delivered until further notice, thank you.

Barry

HI I have a k70 that is new in the box may I please have me my money back?

Thank you

speed is life 11-09-2018 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by DepecheMode101 (Post 12477374)
HI I have a k70 that is new in the box may I please have me my money back?
Thank you

2 posts back to back........Do you not think it more polite and gentlemanly to make your request privately and man to man? He does have a phone and an email.
Posting this in a public forum puts everyone involved (OK, maybe not you) in an uncomfortable position don’t you think?
- Mike

DepecheMode101 11-09-2018 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by speed is life (Post 12477386)

2 posts back to back........Do you not think it more polite and gentlemanly to make your request privately and man to man? He does have a phone and an email.
Posting this in a public forum puts everyone involved (OK, maybe not you) in an uncomfortable position don’t you think?
- Mike

Please forgive my error in protocol here. I respect the community here for its insite and directions.

I truly did not know this question should not be asked here.

I apologize to all.

Is it ok to post the results of my inquirey here?

cheers
DM

jetflyr 11-09-2018 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by DepecheMode101 (Post 12477390)
Please forgive my error in protocol here. I respect the community here for its insite and directions.

I truly did not know this question should not be asked here.

I apologize to all.

Is it ok to post the results of my inquirey here?

cheers
DM

My less than 2 cents opinion would be NO. This is something that needs to be discussed with the manufacturer/ manufacturer's rep in a one-to one fashion. In a perfectly civil world - no problem! But I really don't want/care/need to know whether your (pick an age) engine is refundable or not.
Good luck with whatever you and Barry decide.
Greg

marquisvns 11-09-2018 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by jetflyr (Post 12477407)
My less than 2 cents opinion would be NO. This is something that needs to be discussed with the manufacturer/ manufacturer's rep in a one-to one fashion. In a perfectly civil world - no problem! But I really don't want/care/need to know whether your (pick an age) engine is refundable or not.
Good luck with whatever you and Barry decide.
Greg

No worries Greg, but yes you can return the engine DM, we would have to inspect before issuing you a refund.

Thank you,
Barry

marquisvns 11-09-2018 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mabelsanca (Post 12477220)
Good I just read the post, because I have been very worried, I am also a holder of one of the first K70G2 and today I will have done with it from 15 to 18 flights and at the moment without surprises but I am afraid it happens to me and I can not land the whole airplane in one piece. I just sent an email to the manufacturer, because I think I understand Barry, apparently it does not happen in all of them but who guarantees to me that mine will not fail!

Equally the wisest thing I think it would be to stop flying and send it for its update, to see that they answer me, I need more light about it!

Greetings.

I personally wouldn't stop flying, but knowing there may be a potential problem, probably keep it higher in the cone, so if there's a problem I could still try to glide it in. But if you are concerned, please feel free to send it in, but we just don't have an upgrade at this point, so it will at least be in the queue.

Thanks,
Barry

Dblex 11-10-2018 07:50 AM

To be fair to the investigation process of metal failures, yield strength testing / investigations are very complex. There are many parameters that are considered when coming up with a final report of what went wrong. I hope that when Barry says they are looking into this that they are using a metallurgical lab that identifies material defects and structure failures.

The information coming out of that lab is only as good as the factual information we help provide to Barry on the conditions at the time of failure. The who's, what's, when's and where's are important. A turbine failure for a winter flyer at high altitude and ambient temps in the 20's may not be the same for me who fly's at sea level with an ambient temp of 102F. I remember a time that used turbines being flown in a certain area were being sold here and causing allot of issues. When looking into all this, the people selling them weren't telling folks that they were being flow in a sandy area and the engines were basically getting sand blasted internally.

Again, just trying to be fair to both sides. Failures happen.

smaze17 11-10-2018 03:16 PM

Deleted.

Mabelsanca 11-12-2018 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by marquisvns (Post 12477424)
I personally wouldn't stop flying, but knowing there may be a potential problem, probably keep it higher in the cone, so if there's a problem I could still try to glide it in. But if you are concerned, please feel free to send it in, but we just don't have an upgrade at this point, so it will at least be in the queue.

Thanks,
Barry

The problem is that our flight path only has 160 meters and, on the outside, a lot of rocks and ravines, in short, it is not especially suitable for turbine stops.
And Barry knows if the problem is in all the production of the k70 or all its customers? It seems that there is a customer who has already made 140 flights to his!

DrScoles 11-12-2018 01:17 PM

Sounds like a really small sample size.... Good thing is, we know KT will stand behind their products. Six more flights this last weekend with our K70's...

Auburn02 11-12-2018 01:23 PM

Two more flights for me yesterday, rolled over the 420 minute mark without a glitch. Seems surprising to see the only reports (in this thread anyway) of failures are outside the U.S., and I know the engine has been extremely popular here. Coincidence? Though I'm not sure what that might point to if it is even correlated.

camss69 11-12-2018 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Auburn02 (Post 12478107)
Two more flights for me yesterday, rolled over the 420 minute mark without a glitch. Seems surprising to see the only reports (in this thread anyway) of failures are outside the U.S., and I know the engine has been extremely popular here. Coincidence? Though I'm not sure what that might point to if it is even correlated.

Mine was inside the US, but I’m not sure mine was the same issue. If you notice Barry’s response it sounds like they think it’s some sort of vibration or harmonic in the engine causing the failures. Chances are if your plane and engine have some time on them it’s probably safe to continue flying. That’s an individual choice obviously.

marquisvns 11-12-2018 10:55 PM

Unfortunately we don't know how many K-70s are plagued with this harmonic problem, but ones that are damaged is still under 2%, while some K70s have already reached 25 hours. The factory is working with a sonic lab as we speak to try to identify this nodal problem, which reminds me of troubleshooting a wolf-note on a stringed instrument. I am bound to arrive in Taiwan on Thursday and very much looking forward to the progress with the lab.

Regards,
Barry

gunradd 11-13-2018 02:15 AM

The RollsRoyce enigines on our helicopters have a harmonic issue at a certain RPM. The fix is to avoid staying in that RPM range. When I was at the factory they had a turbine wheel they would tap and it was like a tuning fork.

Have fun over their in your trip Barry.

Auburn02 11-13-2018 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by marquisvns (Post 12478243)
Unfortunately we don't know how many K-70s are plagued with this harmonic problem, but ones that are damaged is still under 2%, while some K70s have already reached 25 hours.

Barry, one thing not mentioned is do the failed engines seem to all be within a certain hours of new? For example have most or all failed within an hour or two of runtime, or have you seen some with 10-15+ hours that still suffered this same problem?

DepecheMode101 11-13-2018 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by marquisvns (Post 12477423)
No worries Greg, but yes you can return the engine DM, we would have to inspect before issuing you a refund.

Thank you,
Barry

Thank you Kingtech and Barry. Your service has been best in class. That is why my last 5 turbines have been KT!!! Keep up the good work and thank you for taking care of us.

cheers

marquisvns 11-13-2018 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Auburn02 (Post 12478294)
Barry, one thing not mentioned is do the failed engines seem to all be within a certain hours of new? For example have most or all failed within an hour or two of runtime, or have you seen some with 10-15+ hours that still suffered this same problem?

Just had the factory dig up some info and all the damaged compressors are within first 3 hours and most of the ones from Israel and middle east had evidence of very fine sand blast to the leading edges.

Henke Torphammar 11-14-2018 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by marquisvns (Post 12476932)
Yes, we are having some K-70 compressor wheel problems, not all, but some. The factory is looking into the possible harmonic or some sort of sympathetic vibration induced damage to some of these wheels. The factory has a new design of the compressor, the initial testing with this new wheel yields a lower temperature and better thrust. So the new K-70 should have a lower full throttle RPM.

We are very sorry for the trouble and thank you for your patience for working with us.

Regards,
Barry

Maybe it's adjustments of the bra that is needed, don't you think?? :rolleyes:

Didier 11-14-2018 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by marquisvns (Post 12478554)
Just had the factory dig up some info and all the damaged compressors are within first 3 hours and most of the ones from Israel and middle east had evidence of very fine sand blast to the leading edges.

Me and my friend had both compressor failures on the K70. Both running in Europe (no erosion on LE due to sand here).
My friends compressor failed approx after 2 hours runtime. My compressor failed after 6 hours of runtime.
I was very happy with the service of Kingtech Luxemburg and it was solved within a week.
I didn't want to post my findings but after reading the post of Marquisvns, I don't hope the factory makes the wrong conclusion as the "3 Hours runtime and sand issue" could be a factor but it is absolutely not the final conclusion.

marquisvns 11-14-2018 10:43 AM

No final conclusion was made only reporting to the inquiry from information obtained from the factory. Since the new wheel isn't yet available, the repair of your K70 was made with the same part and probably subject to the same failure, or not.

tuxian007 11-16-2018 12:40 PM

I had also a front bearing failure few weeks ago and the engine stopped suddenly which lead to dead stick landing.
Also a compressor blade was broken.

​​​​​​The problem occurred after about 80 flights / 9 hours.
​​​​The K70G2 already is repaired (warranty issue) and works fine again.
I hope this failure will not happen again.

​​​